2018-2019 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
secondary received!

1. We have all tried something and failed. Describe a situation, or an experience, you’ve had when you were unsuccessful. Tell us what you learned from this experience.

2. Much of health care delivery involves teamwork. In what endeavor have you engaged that required a team approach? What was your role and what did you learn from working with this team?

3. Give an example of how you made a difference in someone’s life and explain what this experience taught you about yourself.

4. What motivates you to apply to UNC School of Medicine?

all 1000 chars

@gyngyn

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see a word count for the last one. I'm wondering if it's also 1000 characters?

Haha, I noticed that too. Maybe UNC is leaving it up to us to tell them how much we love them?

But I'm too lazy to manually check. I'm sure someone on this thread will do it lol.

Yeah, I really don't want to write 400-500 words for a school that I'm probably not getting into. Someone will check haha.

Wheres the confidence man? JK, I am probably also not getting in lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Current MS2, feel free to DM me with any questions!

is it worth applying if out-of state? I have read they are notorious for only taking ~20
In general, OOS is very competitive and yes you are right in stating that about 20 OOS (out of 180 ish) matriculate each year. I think the general GPA/MCAT stats for OOS are on the UNC website, but feel free to message me with your stats or whatever I can try to help you out!

In general, OOS is very competitive and yes you are right in stating that about 20 OOS (out of 180 ish) matriculate each year. I think the general GPA/MCAT stats for OOS are on the UNC website, but feel free to message me with your stats or whatever I can try to help you out!
Thanks! I think since the fee is quite low, it is probably worth it to just apply anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone having trouble accessing pages on UNC's website. I'm trying to answer question #4 and I want to see what kind of programs they offer for students on their prospective student page by clicking "programs" and nothing really shows up. help!

I know they are in the middle of revamping some of their website content, as some of us MS2s were having trouble accessing some of our stuff as well a week ago.

I would give it a day or so and if it still isnt fixed, call the admin office and im sure they would be happy to direct you.

Is there supposed to be a confirmation email after you submit? I got nothing.

I remember there not being a confirmation email after I submitted my secondary. You can always call the admissions office to make sure!

Is anyone having trouble accessing pages on UNC's website. I'm trying to answer question #4 and I want to see what kind of programs they offer for students on their prospective student page by clicking "programs" and nothing really shows up. help!
Their website doesn't seem to be super specific honestly. It does show that they have "Scholarly Concentration Programs" as well as research opportunities, both summer and long-term. The concentration are listed on their website. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find much out of the ordinary besides that.

I got an email after I submitted my secondary about supplemental process information! It began with "Thank you for considering UNC School of Medicine!"

Reactions: 1 users
I remember there not being a confirmation email after I submitted my secondary. You can always call the admissions office to make sure!
I got an email after I submitted my secondary about supplemental process information! It began with "Thank you for considering UNC School of Medicine!"
Got it this morning, thanks guys

For IS applicants, how much of a death blow would it be to be complete around early-mid September?

I'm an OOS applicant and didn't read about the OOS MCAT "cut-off". I've got a dismal 498. Should I just throw in the towel and not complete the secondary?

For IS applicants, how much of a death blow would it be to be complete around early-mid September?
Seeing as the interview over half of the IS students who apply, I think you’re probably okay :) you’ve got this

Anybody know how strict they are about the 14 day rule? I am still within it but its looking like its coming down to the wire (plan to submit on the 14th day at the latest, assuming its ok?).

Anybody know how strict they are about the 14 day rule? I am still within it but its looking like its coming down to the wire (plan to submit on the 14th day at the latest, assuming its ok?).

I would think you'd be good if you get it in within that 14 days, even if it's on the last day. I would not go over.

Did any of you get the email from UNC:
"We appreciate your interest in our program, and noticed that you have not yet submitted your supplemental application. Please follow the instructions sent in the previous email on how to submit your supplemental application. If we do not hear from you we will assume that you no longer wish to be considered for our program, and you will be administratively withdrawn, and AMCAS will be notified. This will be your only reminder, and the only notification that you will receive if you decide not to continue with our admissions process."

Did any of you get the email from UNC:
"We appreciate your interest in our program, and noticed that you have not yet submitted your supplemental application. Please follow the instructions sent in the previous email on how to submit your supplemental application. If we do not hear from you we will assume that you no longer wish to be considered for our program, and you will be administratively withdrawn, and AMCAS will be notified. This will be your only reminder, and the only notification that you will receive if you decide not to continue with our admissions process."

Is it your "14th day"?

well....13th

I'd find a way to submit it today if I were you. The prompts aren't terribly difficult and with 1000 character limits can be done in a few hours at max. I am assuming that the email is an automated message based on secondary timing.

No clue why UNC is so weird with their 14 day rule. Its literally one of 2 schools on my 30+ school list that has a specific deadline (the other says "strongly recommended").

Any other nontraditionals out there? The 5 year limit on prereqs basically kills UNC for me. I don't have time to redo 4 courses.

Any other nontraditionals out there? The 5 year limit on prereqs basically kills UNC for me. I don't have time to redo 4 courses.

Has it been more than 5 years since you graduated? Or since you took those courses?

Yeah, I graduated in 2005.

I don't know if this helps you, but I read their option: "Complete 30 credit hours or more of upper level science course work in Chemistry, Biology, Physiology, Physics, Microbiology, etc. to demonstrate current mastery in the natural sciences," as meaning any 30 hours, not specific courses you have to redo.

I don't know if this helps you, but I read their option: "Complete 30 credit hours or more of upper level science course work in Chemistry, Biology, Physiology, Physics, Microbiology, etc. to demonstrate current mastery in the natural sciences," as meaning any 30 hours, not specific courses you have to redo.

I appreciate it, but that doesn't really help either. I only had ochem and bio to finish up as prereqs, which is only good for 18 credits. I have a full time job, so my capacity to fit in more classes is limited. Thanks though - always good to see people on SDN being helpful.

So if you are interested in the MD/MPH or other dual degree programs, is there even the option to apply now, or is everything later?

For those who have applied, how long did it take to receive a confirmation email?

I'd find a way to submit it today if I were you. The prompts aren't terribly difficult and with 1000 character limits can be done in a few hours at max. I am assuming that the email is an automated message based on secondary timing.

No clue why UNC is so weird with their 14 day rule. Its literally one of 2 schools on my 30+ school list that has a specific deadline (the other says "strongly recommended").
Wait is this like a hard and fast 'you must have it in within 14 days' kinda rule?

Wait is this like a hard and fast 'you must have it in within 14 days' kinda rule?

"For consideration of an interview, please submit your application within 14 days of receiving the invitation."

This is what secondary invite email said, I'd say that seems pretty explicit.

I believe so given the language in the secondary invite email: “For consideration of an interview, please submit your application within 14 days of receiving the invitation.”

anyone else have Fee Waiver Request Pending Review?
Yes, I submitted my secondary on 7/13/18, and it sill says Fee Waiver Request Pending Review. Also, when I go to the "application status page" (the link to this page was provided in the email for secondary app invite), I can't log into my account from that page. Do you have the same problem?

Yes, I submitted my secondary on 7/13/18, and it sill says Fee Waiver Request Pending Review. Also, when I go to the "application status page" (the link to this page was provided in the email for secondary app invite), I can't log into my account from that page. Do you have the same problem?
I already emailed them. They said that it was the link used from last year and it was an error in their email. If you email them and tell them (UNC tech not med school) that you are having a problem, they will send you an updated link.

Should I not bother submitting if it's been 18 days? I'm an idiot and didn't actually read the full emails from all of these schools and frustratingly didn't notice the 14 day rule....
I think that maybe the 14 day rule should be placed in the original post with the secondary questions so people who are pre-writing know. I've had like 6 schools have deadlines for secondary submission.

Did anyone receive an email saying "There has been an update to the status page link. Please use the link below and your login credentials to check the status of your application."? I logged in and I couldn't find any status on my application...

Reactions: 14 users
Did anyone receive an email saying "There has been an update to the status page link. Please use the link below and your login credentials to check the status of your application."? I logged in and I couldn't find any status on my application...
yep. same here.

Reactions: 1 users