2018-2019 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just called admissions y'all. I was explained to that they will BEGIN releasing decisions in December. The lady was very careful not to say MID-December. I took that as some people may be hearing back very soon. Also, if anyone was in the same situation as me for the CASPer test, she said UNC just needs to be notified that I have taken the test. Perhaps just CASPer completion is enough for this cycle since they alerted us of that requirement so late.
You da real MVP. Anyone interview late September/early October hear anything back?

Members don't see this ad.

I just called admissions y'all. I was explained to that they will BEGIN releasing decisions in December. The lady was very careful not to say MID-December. I took that as some people may be hearing back very soon. Also, if anyone was in the same situation as me for the CASPer test, she said UNC just needs to be notified that I have taken the test. Perhaps just CASPer completion is enough for this cycle since they alerted us of that requirement so late.
Thank you so much!!!!! Only confusing part is that they will be closed beginning mid-December or did she state otherwise?

Members don't see this ad :)
From the way you write this, that they distinguish between "December" and "mid-December," and that it's pretty much already mid-December, it seems that it's instead possible that decisions won't come until much later in the month. I don't mean to project anything, and since you spoke with them you obviously got a better sense, but this is my interpretation of what you wrote.

From the way you write this, that they distinguish between "December" and "mid-December," and that it's pretty much already mid-December, it seems that it's instead possible that decisions won't come until much later in the month. I don't mean to project anything, and since you spoke with them you obviously got a better sense, but this is my interpretation of what you wrote.

Or maybe it just means that no-one will hear back this week until next year. It is probably just uncomfortable to tell people that they were not able to catch up. lol Otherwise one could clearly determine what batches are processed and who is/is not likely to hear back

Or maybe it just means that no-one will hear back this week until next year. It is probably just uncomfortable to tell people that they were not able to catch up. lol Otherwise one could clearly determine what batches you have processed and who is/is not likely to hear back
It still does sound like some decisions will be released this month though, prior to 2019.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they have an obligation to at least release some decisions considering they told everyone december..

Reactions: 1 users
Where did y'all read that the office will be closed after December 14th?

Where did y'all read that the office will be closed after December 14th?

The students told us on interview day that the office will close on the 14th and reopen 2019.

I just got a phone call from Chapel Hill and it was a telemarketer.. I'm going to implode soon

Reactions: 12 users
Anyone know how long admissions is closed for after the 14th? Looking through last year's thread I saw people receive interview invites on Christmas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how long admissions is closed for after the 14th? Looking through last year's thread I saw people receive interview invites on Christmas.
Honestly, just because the school closes doesn’t mean the admissions office will. I think that we will have the possibility to hear this whole month. I do think they will be closed Christmas through new years at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just emailed with an Admissions ambassador from UNC and the replied the following:
"...I just asked a member of the admissions committee and they said that the first roll out of acceptances will likely go out after the holidays. We had recent adverse weather here that delayed the admissions committee meetings."

Just emailed with an Admissions ambassador from UNC and the replied the following:
"...I just asked a member of the admissions committee and they said that the first roll out of acceptances will likely go out after the holidays. We had recent adverse weather here that delayed the admissions committee meetings."

Well, at least now I wont ruin the Holidays. Cheers.

Thanks for the info! Ugh, this waiting is the hardest part of the whole process...

Reactions: 2 users

The school was only closed for 1.5 days!!! Why, UNC, whyyyyy :(. Maybe it's all for the best.

Reactions: 4 users
But didn't someone talk to the interview coordinator yesterday who said decisions are coming out in December? This is the most mixed messages relationship I've ever been in

Reactions: 6 users
But didn't someone talk to the interview coordinator yesterday who said decisions are coming out in December? This is the most mixed messages relationship I've ever been in

That was me lol. I am here scratching my head as well!

This is very disappointing...I know I should be grateful for the opportunity to even wait for a decision, but the school pushing back the decision day past the holidays due to one closed day is a bit ridiculous. I wonder what part of the evaluation process changed from last year when they started releasing decisions on 10/15.

This is very disappointing...I know I should be grateful for the opportunity to even wait for a decision, but the school pushing back the decision day past the holidays due to one closed day is a bit ridiculous. I wonder what part of the evaluation process changed from last year when they started releasing decisions on 10/15.
CASPer and adding the MMI

I guess that means 2019 then? I do not see how the committee would be able to pull meetings between the holidays and New Year's when people are barely around.

I think we can all sympathize with how you feel. This is one of the most important decisions we will receive in our lives. What worries me also is that it seems like there have not been any decisions at all so far, otherwise they would give those out to quiet the crowd down a bit and show they're working on it. I guess they are one of the fortunate schools who can afford that luxury to wait that long because I just cannot see how anyone would turn down an acceptance from such an amazing school. :(

Just called the office today and was told that they planned to send out another round of notifications next week.

I meant next round of notifications. They sent out some last week I think.

No one has been accepted yet though right? I guess last week they sent a round of II so they could be referring to that...

That was me lol. I am here scratching my head as well!
I meant next round of notifications. They sent out some last week I think.
i just called them, they haven’t released any decisions yet, but it sounds like they are still releasing some in December. So we are still probably going to hear something.

Can we clear things up? So the office will send next round of interview invites next week (which is probably the last, since the only day open for interview is the last one they offer) and this implies that the office will not close tomorrow?

Can we clear things up? So the office will send next round of interview invites next week (which is probably the last, since the only day open for interview is the last one they offer) and this implies that the office will not close tomorrow?

I don’t know if they are open next week or not, but last year they sent a round of IIs on Christmas Day. So they don’t necessarily need to be open to send things, I imagine they just schedule the send out ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I don’t know if they are open next week or not, but last year they sent a round of IIs on Christmas Day. So they don’t necessarily need to be open to send things, I imagine they just schedule the send out ahead of time.

Makes sense. Hoping that they "schedule" decisions to be sent this month as well even when they are closed :)

So are we thinking that they're getting ready to send out the last IIs? Seems like applying early to this one didn't really pay off then.
I interviewed here in early November do you guys think I could send a letter of intent at this time?

So are we thinking that they're getting ready to send out the last IIs? Seems like applying early to this one didn't really pay off then.
I interviewed here in early November do you guys think I could send a letter of intent at this time?

I think so because there is only one more day with free interview slots left. I'm not sure about LOIs...I wonder how much they care about those because the %age of students who take their slot upon acceptance is fairly high.

Anybody else in the same situation as me?

Silence from both Brody and UNC. IS, complete mid August, LM 72.

I’ve already gotten into a MD school so it’s not the end of the world if I don’t get anything from either but I’m feeling really disappointed right now with ZERO love from my state schools. Especially with my stats and what I consider to be a solid application without any red flags (see the single acceptance I’ve had so far).

The day is here... Time to see if they make any "mid-December" accepts/rejections, although I'm not feeling very hopeful

The day is here... Time to see if they make any "mid-December" accepts/rejections, although I'm not feeling very hopeful

I'm not feeling hopeful either. Sometimes people surprise you, though. Let's hope this is one of those days :)

gosh....I was expecting a couple of excited posts when I logged in by now :/

well fellas it is 4 PM EST rn....what are the chances we hear something before 5 PM/end of this work week? lol taking bets now

UPS just called me again :(

Here's to hoping they already made some decisions and will be sending out an automated acceptance/denial over break? Would still prefer a phone call though. Ugh ive been checking here wayyy too much today. It'll be healthy to step away from sdn lol

Here's to hoping they already made some decisions and will be sending out an automated acceptance/denial over break? Would still prefer a phone call though. Ugh ive been checking here wayyy too much today. It'll be healthy to step away from sdn lol

lol same here. I think that's it for today...

I interviewed back in early October, but I am still able to access the interview scheduling page. Although I haven't hit submit, it appears that I might be able to schedule another interview, which would be a weird glitch... Anyone else able to do this too?

I called this week and they said that Feb 4th (last interview date) is the only date still available

I interviewed back in early October, but I am still able to access the interview scheduling page. Although I haven't hit submit, it appears that I might be able to schedule another interview, which would be a weird glitch... Anyone else able to do this too?
I can too, I think that’s just the way the website is.

Unrelated but I’ve been lurking and stressing with everyone here, and I hope we hear soon! Take care of yourself in the meantime though (@Me)

If anyone hears one way or another, please share so we know when they start giving out decisions. :)