2018-2019 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I see what you're saying, but I don't think I agree. It reads to me like they told us we would here something by December, and here we are and they don't quite have an answer for us. Doesn't mean a rejection, and they would've said waitlist if that was the case considering that they started waitlisting last year in April. All in all, I think it was a nothing email that should be interpreted the same as not hearing anything from UNC yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I’ll be the first to admit to my fair share of neuroticism. I’m like a dysfunctional robot; I was given three options, and when the fourth option was chosen, my head exploded. I’ll take the advice though. Congratulations and good luck all around, happy holidays everybody.

Reactions: 3 users
I’ll be the first to admit to my fair share of neuroticism. I’m like a dysfunctional robot; I was given three options, and when the fourth option was chosen, my head exploded. I’ll take the advice though. Congratulations and good luck all around, happy holidays everybody.
It was the third option I think — deferral? And yes!!!! Try to enjoy the holidays! It will all be okay at the end :) and you’re not a dysfunctional robot, I know I do the very same thing everyday but am telling myself to stop overanalyzing too! Good luck to all of us!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Call came yesterday, 5 minutes after the portal update email. IS, LM 78, Interviewed 11/26

Reactions: 4 users
Here are my thoughts, for whoever cares: they accepted the people people with high stats/or URM. Just based on the people who have commented on here it seems like the people accepted have crazy high stats apart from one person who was URM. This is what I’m telling myself to make me feel better. More acceptances have to be coming I think

No email, no call. Checked my portal yesterday, and to my pleasant shock, Accepted!!!!! IS, Interviewed 11/12. Still feels like a dream. Sending out good vibes to all my continued consideration peeps. Don't give up hope <3

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to everyone accepted!! Just to throw in my $.02, I really don't think they review apps chronologically and just filter out the acceptances, considering the fact that acceptances were from all over the interview period. UNC only has 5 more interview days out of 18, so there is no way they reviewed all of the interviewed applicants and are done giving out A's from this pool. My guess would be that they started to considerate final decisions recently, since they still had apps to review for II's, and have some sort of metric to review, such as re-app, non-trad, super high LM, URM, etc, or it might be completely random. Once thing I learned from this cycle in general is that MED SCHOOLS DO NOT DO THINGS CHRONOLOGICALLY OR LOGICALLY. For my own sake, I'm just gonna take a hiatus from SDN and come back in 2019. Happy Holidays!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Can anybody post a link to the application portal in here? I can’t find it anywhere without it leading to a broken/invalid link error. I remember them sending out a new, updated link, but I just can’t find it! Thanks

any In State applicants rejected pre-II yet?

i'm a re app and I really hope I get an interview.... last year they sent out the last batch on Christmas! what a gift!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone who was accepted received an official email yet? I can see changes on my portal, but haven’t received any communication from the office of admissions (not even an email saying there was an update to my status)

Has anyone who was accepted received an official email yet? I can see changes on my portal, but haven’t received any communication from the office of admissions (not even an email saying there was an update to my status)
I received the email saying there was an update to my status. But I haven't received an official email from them with the instructions for accepted applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call yesterday morning at 9 AM! So excited! I have been stalking this forum (has helped calm my nerves) for a week but this is my first post. Congrats to all who got accepted and good luck to those still waiting.

Reactions: 5 users
1616E0E8-C229-4C84-8CAF-FFAC6B0EC18F.jpeg
Hi all

My friend was accepted off UNC’s waitlist last year, and this is the email he received when he first got waitlisted. Unless they reformatted their waitlist email (which they very well may have, who am I to say?), the email you’re all receiving probably isn’t a formal waitlist email.

Best of luck and happy holidays to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted 12/18! Interviewed 10/12. Email about status update followed by a phone call from my interviewer a couple hours later.
LizzyM 67, URM, sGPA 3.1 after Post-Bacc.

Appreciate the outlet to vent and relieve/heighten these pre-med nerves.

I also found out via portal and no email. I ended up getting a phone call yesterday because my interviewer was busy on the 18th

Have any UNC re-applicants been accepted?

Also, congratulations to everyone who received the call! You've overcome a steep barrier to entry.

Have any UNC re-applicants been accepted?

Also, congratulations to everyone who received the call! You've overcome a steep barrier to entry.
I’m a reapplicant and haven’t been accepted yet.

So I called to ask a question and the admissions director looked my app up and told me i was rejected (pre-ii, completed in July). She looked my app over and gave me some feedback and I think they were quite helpful. I'd encourage other applicants who were rejected to ask for feedback!

Had you previously received an email/portal update? I'm still in silence, wondering if they just forgot to tell me I'm rejected
I actually still haven't received an official communication. I wouldn't use just my experience to predict yours though

How many acceptances do you all think have been released? I feel like at least 50-60...

Does anyone know if they release decisions only on one day in Dec/Feb/April (?) or do they go out scattered throughout those months?

I’m an instate re app (interview two cycles ago)! Accepted via portal, no phone call or email...

Reactions: 1 users
So I called to ask a question and the admissions director looked my app up and told me i was rejected (pre-ii, completed in July). She looked my app over and gave me some feedback and I think they were quite helpful. I'd encourage other applicants who were rejected to ask for feedback!
damn that's very disappointing... what is your MCAT/GPA?

LizzyM ~69, IS re-app. Anybody else still waiting to hear from UNC? last year they sent their last II on Xmas! hopefully we get one (although if some of us could have already been rejected with no portal update :/

EDIT: wait, was your portal updated?

LizzyM ~69, IS re-app. Anybody else still waiting to hear from UNC? last year they sent their last II on Xmas! hopefully we get one (although if some of us could have already been rejected with no portal update :/

When I called the other day I was told there were no more interviews to give out. That being said, maybe that meant IIs have already been assigned to some applicants, but just have not actually been sent out yet.

When I called the other day I was told there were no more interviews to give out. That being said, maybe that meant IIs have already been assigned to some applicants, but just have not actually been sent out yet.

daammnnnn i hope i have a chance lol i'm screwed if not

I, too, am waiting to hear something. My portal shows nothing but my payment receipt, so I should hope that we haven't been rejected without update. FWIW: LM= ~75.5, OOS, ORM

Nevermind...Just got the status update email and I am rejected pre-II

Applied 3 years ago, was rejected. Told to improve GPA, MCAT, increase ECs. GPA improved, MCAT above UNC average, over 1k volunteer hours, 500+ clinical. Got the R today, no interview, instate. Kinda stings not gonna lie.

Pre-II OOS rejection today. The rejections have come in HOT this week. Merry Christmas...?

Last edited:
+1

hang in there man, we'll all end up where we're meant to - even if that means soul searching for a few more months or another cycle

Rejected pre-II last night as well. In-state, UNC undergrad, LizzyM 72. This whole process makes no sense

Have there been any post II rejections yet? Seems like only acceptances and pre-II rejections have gone out so far..

Applied 3 years ago, was rejected. Told to improve GPA, MCAT, increase ECs. GPA improved, MCAT above UNC average, over 1k volunteer hours, 500+ clinical. Got the R today, no interview, instate. Kinda stings not gonna lie.
Wow that’s crazy. UNC really judges their own undergrad students harder than other NC schools

Wow that’s crazy. UNC really judges their own undergrad students harder than other NC schools

I know several NC state grads with MCATs below 506 who got interviews. Most of them not URM.

I hope you get in somewhere(if you're not already in). Best of luck on the cycle.