2018-2019 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you are right. I also think the class might be full already. Maybe they are currently accepting people off of some sort of unofficial waitlist as some of those accepted decide to not take their slot. Those of us who haven't heard back yet might hear soon about waitlist/rejection. I cannot think of another reason why people who interviewed early have not heard back yet, other than that they are being considered for a waitlist spot.

hey man, don't give up hope quite yet. I, like most of the people on this thread, haven't heard anything since interviewing months and months ago. My friends as well as people who I've met on the interview trail who interviewed at UNC also haven't heard anything. Judging by how many acceptances people have reported here, I'd say there are still a fair amount of acceptances left to be given. No point in stressing about any of it until you see the email in your inbox!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
hey man, don't give up hope quite yet. I, like most of the people on this thread, haven't heard anything since interviewing months and months ago. My friends as well as people who I've met on the interview trail who interviewed at UNC also haven't heard anything. Judging by how many acceptances people have reported here, I'd say there are still a fair amount of acceptances left to be given. No point in stressing about any of it until you see the email in your inbox!

Thanks @eip5 ! It would be great if you were right!!!!! No worries, I'm not stressed. I was just sharing my thoughts :) I'm also generally a pretty laid back person haha

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @eip5 ! It would be great if you were right!!!!! No worries, I'm not stressed. I was just sharing my thoughts :) I'm also generally a pretty laid back person haha

I saw the class Facebook page and there were only like 125 members, if you include MS1s, MS2s, people without Facebook and the significant lack of activity on here.... I really think there’s still a lot of acceptances left to be given

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw the class Facebook page and there were only like 125 members, if you include MS1s, MS2s, people without Facebook and the significant lack of activity on here.... I really think there’s still a lot of acceptances left to be given

That's awesome! Thanks for keeping my hopes up, guys. Y'all are great

giphy.gif

Me before checking my UNC status portal religiously while these acceptances trickle in

Reactions: 6 users
Is anyone else regularly checking the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School page to see if any schools have accepted you prior to notifying you?

I think you are right. I also think the class might be full already. Maybe they are currently accepting people off of some sort of unofficial waitlist as some of those accepted decide to not take their slot. Those of us who haven't heard back yet might hear soon about waitlist/rejection. I cannot think of another reason why people who interviewed early have not heard back yet, other than that they are being considered for a waitlist spot.
Yeah the class definitely isnt full yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Question for people who have been accepted: I sent my official transcript in January and it still hasn't been marked as "received" on the portal - has anyone's transcript been accepted/is anyone else in a similar situation? Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Question for people who have been accepted: I sent my official transcript in January and it still hasn't been marked as "received" on the portal - has anyone's transcript been accepted/is anyone else in a similar situation? Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Same situation for me!

Same for me as well. I'm just assuming they're behind on that front. Once things settle down for decisions I was going to call and ask about it.

Yeah the class definitely isnt full yet.

I don't want to be the party pooper here but I would not be so sure just based off of Facebook. I have two more acceptances and the FB pages have less than 100 people on there, although class sizes are 160 and 180. It's not a reliable indicator.

Edit: both schools are interviewing for the WL

Last edited:
I’m not basing that off the Facebook, but rather the fact that they’re sending out decisions until April. Plus every school overfills their class. Look, they’ve been pretty slow to release acceptances and I don’t think it’s good to just say that the class is full and cause everyone to freak out especially when you don’t have anything to base it on
I don't want to be the party pooper here but I would not be so sure just based off of Facebook. I have two more acceptances and the FB pages have less than 100 people on there, although class sizes are 160 and 180. It's not a reliable indicator.

Edit: both schools are interviewing for the WL

Reactions: 4 users
I’m not basing that off the Facebook, but rather the fact that they’re sending out decisions until April. Plus every school overfills their class. Look, they’ve been pretty slow to release acceptances and I don’t think it’s good to just say that the class is full and cause everyone to freak out especially when you don’t have anything to base it on
Hey @tj123 ! I'm sorry if I freaked you out, that was not my intention. However, it is March. Those of us with multiple acceptances can hang out and wait. But there are also people who have not been accepted anywhere yet, and someone in that situation should definitely think about a game plan. Yes, they are releasing decisions until April. But a WL spot also counts as a decision... So, again, I apologize if I freaked everyone out. Let's all stay calm and keep waiting.... :)

Members don't see this ad :)

The fact they'll be sending out decisions until April doesn't mean the class isn't full either. I think everyone (unless the information comes from Admissions) is speculating. In my opinion, and with no much to base it on, the class is probably full already.

If you guys are so pressed to know if the class is full, email Joni. I will say that last year, there was a post in mid to late March about the same topic, and Joni said the class was not full at that time. Feels like they’re also going slower this year with the MMI and Casper so I think there’s little to no chance the class is full yet.

Reactions: 7 users
If you guys are so pressed to know if the class is full, email Joni. I will say that last year, there was a post in mid to late March about the same topic, and Joni said the class was not full at that time. Feels like they’re also going slower this year with the MMI and Casper so I think there’s little to no chance the class is full yet.
That is so good to know! They also started accepting people later this year so you might be right! This post just made my night :)

This may be irrelevant to me because I haven't been accepted, but does anyone know the dates for second look?

No news from anyone? Usually the Tuesday after they meet is a big notification day.

Reactions: 8 users
Same day as WF... lol.

If no body has called recently, does someone want to volunteer and call admissions to ask about decisions? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oh ouch, I originally read the WF one as 3/29 (because they mention hosting for the 29th), and thought it was nice they coordinated on the same weekend for OOT people. But never mind :smack:

Hopefully we will hear something by tomorrow

Same day as WF... lol.

If no body has called recently, does someone want to volunteer and call admissions to ask about decisions? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sorry, y'all! I tried to call but no answer. If someone got a hold of admissions lately, I think a lot of peeps here would appreciate the info!!

Sorry, y'all! I tried to call but no answer. If someone got a hold of admissions lately, I think a lot of peeps here would appreciate the info!!

I called yesterday about scholarships, and they said they still had decisions to make for acceptances (wasn't given a timeline). Also financial aid will be coming out in April. Hope this helps some people.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if UNC is open to letters of interest post-interview?

Does anyone know if UNC is open to letters of interest post-interview?
I called about this a couple of weeks ago and was told that they do not accept letters of interest or intent (they categorize these as "updates", and don't accept any updates).

How did you know they were meeting?
I go to UNC and happened to walk by the room where they meet and saw the schedule of who booked the room for that day and it said "SOM Admissions Committee" that day. Stressful af

Reactions: 8 users
I called yesterday about scholarships, and they said they still had decisions to make for acceptances (wasn't given a timeline). Also financial aid will be coming out in April. Hope this helps some people.
Did they say when they will be releasing scholarship decisions?

Have calls for acceptances been made by interviewers or the admissions office?

Have calls for acceptances been made by interviewers or the admissions office?

I definitely saw people reporting that admissions called them. I'm not sure about the interviewers. Let's hope they met yesterday! Good luck everyone :luck:

I definitely saw people reporting that admissions called them. I'm not sure about the interviewers. Let's hope they met yesterday! Good luck everyone :luck:

Where did you see people reporting that admissions called them?

i'm 99% sure everyone else received the email from UNC just a minute ago about "information for accepted applicants" and the general information regarding which school to "plan to enroll" in and various important dates etc. but omfg, my heart :boom:

edit: to my knowledge, i have not been accepted formally, no phone call, email, or other portal update

update again: checked about 40 minutes later and my portal had an update- received no other email or phone call other than the info for accepted applicants mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Where did you see people reporting that admissions called them?
Here on this thread..for example, someone stated that they received the second look email before admissions called them. Maybe one or two pages back on here

Edit: found it

"Ok so I got an email for 2nd look it said congrats on my acceptance. Then I checked my portal and saw it updated. 30 minutes later I received a call from the Dean of Admissions telling me that I was accepted!"

i'm 99% sure everyone else received the email from UNC just a minute ago about "information for accepted applicants" and the general information regarding which school to "plan to enroll" in and various important dates etc. but omfg, my heart :boom:

edit: to my knowledge, i have not been accepted formally, no phone call, email, or other portal update
I did not receive this email. Sounds like you may have been accepted, congrats!!!

Reactions: 4 users
i'm 99% sure everyone else received the email from UNC just a minute ago about "information for acc

I did not receive this email. I hope that's good news for you @Warrenc !!

Reactions: 2 users

You should check AMCAS "plan to enroll"!

I received that email as well. I have no insight into what it means, however.

I received that email as well. I have no insight into what it means, however.

Yall should definitely call the admissions office. Sounds like an acceptance to me...

Sounds like an acceptance for you!

No email, here.

update: checked my portal and i was accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

interviewed 01-18-19

Reactions: 13 users
Queue intense stress. Based on previous rollouts of acceptances, if we don't have a portal change now is it still possible it will change later in the day? Or do they change all the portals and then make calls?

Queue intense stress. Based on previous rollouts of acceptances, if we don't have a portal change now is it still possible it will change later in the day? Or do they change all the portals and then make calls?

Probably not. I did call last week and they said that they will be giving out more acceptances this month and April. So there's still hope!

I received the e-mail too, and thought it was a tease... then I got an update e-mail thinking it was a rejection because I never got a call), but all the anxiety could have been avoided if I'd just checked my 43 messages and noticed I missed my acceptance call last night

Reactions: 6 users
I received the e-mail too, and thought it was a tease... then I got an update e-mail thinking it was a rejection because I never got a call), but all the anxiety could have been avoided if I'd just checked my 43 messages and noticed I missed my acceptance call last night

Congrats!!! When did you interview?