2018-2019 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have there been any post interview rejections since December?

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted via portal change after receiving “info for accepted students email.” Interviewed in October. So excited!

Reactions: 7 users
Starting to think it’s bleak for people who still haven’t heard back. I’m sure more people will be accepted, but after hearing nothing since my September interview, I don’t feel great.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting to think it’s bleak for people who still haven’t heard back. I’m sure more people will be accepted, but after hearing nothing since my September interview, I don’t feel great.

We have the same LizzyM, so I feel you.

I received the e-mail too, and thought it was a tease... then I got an update e-mail thinking it was a rejection because I never got a call), but all the anxiety could have been avoided if I'd just checked my 43 messages and noticed I missed my acceptance call last night
SAME!!!!!! thought it was a tease- i never received any phone calls or emails though, just checked the portal and bam! i love the floating stethoscopes too haha..... wow - over the moon!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted via mysterious email that inspired me to check my portal! IS, interviewed 12/7.

Reactions: 6 users
Why don’t they update people that aren’t being accepted? I interviewed in September and still haven’t heard anything :(

Why don’t they update people that aren’t being accepted? I interviewed in September and still haven’t heard anything :(
I been wondering too. This is tough, man

Reactions: 1 users

Am I completely making this up? Because I remember one of the admissions people saying, “You’ll get at least an update from us once a month.”

They are supposed to offer as many acceptances as they have seats by Friday, right? I’ve been waiting since October and the lack of communication from them is crushing. Luckily I received an acceptance from another program or I’d legit be going bonkers right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They are supposed to offer as many acceptances as they have seats by Friday, right? I’ve been waiting since October and the lack of communication from them is crushing. Luckily I received an acceptance from another program or I’d legit be going bonkers right now.

I'm in the same boat. If I remember correctly, they're "supposed to" but they didn't last year or the year before according to past SDN threads.

Reactions: 1 user

On the AMCAS page it is stated as a "recommendation". I don't think it is binding

@Warrenc @Coach_Z what address did your portal update e-mails come from? I'll be frantically checking my email all week of course but using like 10 different search terms cause I'm not sure what address it'll be from (and my II ended up in my spam folder, yikes!)

Reactions: 1 user
@Warrenc @Coach_Z what address did your portal update e-mails come from? I'll be frantically checking my email all week of course but using like 10 different search terms cause I'm not sure what address it'll be from (and my II ended up in my spam folder, yikes!)
The email i got was from [email protected], although for the record it wasn't a portal update email--it was just like a generic administrative email addressed to accepted applicants, and i was like, "well cool i'm not accepted so thanks" but then i was like...."maybe i should check my portal" and that's where the acceptance letter was.

So.....should I be at all nervous that I got the portal letter but no phone call and there's no "plan to enroll" tab on my AMCAS page?

So.....should I be at all nervous that I got the portal letter but no phone call and there's no "plan to enroll" tab on my AMCAS page?
Once I signed the acceptance form and submitted it, I got more tabs to pay my deposit, set up account, etc

I also didn’t get any emails. Though I did get a missed call from a chapel hill number that was very likely from them

For those not accepted yet, what does your portal look like, the same since submitting your secondary?

I didn't get a phone call. Just a portal update :)

@kamakeemo did you get an e-mail that your portal was updated or you just checked it and saw? What e-mail address did it come from if so?
Also congrats to everyone!!

I didn't even get an e-mail saying my portal was updated. My friend randomly told me to check it and I did and it was there.

I was accepted yesterday (my first acceptance) and the "choose your medical school" tab hasn't appeared yet on my AMCAS....is that bad?

I was accepted yesterday (my first acceptance) and the "choose your medical school" tab hasn't appeared yet on my AMCAS....is that bad?
Neither has mine. I'm going to call admissions on Friday if it has appeared by the afternoon because UNC ITS also needs to activate my account...

Neither has mine. I'm going to call admissions on Friday if it has appeared by the afternoon because UNC ITS also needs to activate my account...
Mine too! For ONYEN you mean? I’m glad it’s not just me

Check your portals, everyone. New updates may have been posted.

Seriously screw this school. Makes people wait for over 5 months to just reject them post interview. Lol, so unorganized and poorly run. Hope they get their things figured out for next year, cause they left a very bad taste in my mouth after this

Reactions: 2 users
rejected after interviewing October 1st... It actually kinda feels nice to not have to worry about this anymore! congrats to those accepted and good luck to everyone else!

No change! No email. No call. No carrier pigeon.

Unrequited love, only.

Rejected post II, interviewed in October.

Seriously screw this school. Makes people wait for over 5 months to just reject them post interview. Lol, so unorganized and poorly run. Hope they get their things figured out for next year, cause they left a very bad taste in my mouth after this
I’m with you. In the time that it has taken unc to finally deny me. I have completely changed most of my extracurricular and would honestly argue that I’m a better applicant now then when I interviewed in September. This school has consistently shown how unorganized they are and how much they don’t care about applicants. I’m happy I was denied here, at least I have closure and other schools that actually care about their applicants and act as if we are human. Congrats to everyone that got in, and good luck to everyone else.

I just think they have been incredibley unprofessional throughout this process. My interview, they didn’t even give us any information in our folders because they weren’t prepared. Just an awful job throughout with their admissions committee. Reject me, that’s fine, but don’t wait half a year with no info and then let people not prepare for the next cycle

I’m just curious if there’s even going to be a waitlist this year? I mean, it feels silly to pine after a waitlist after being so frustrated by such a long wait, but a flat out rejection certainly stings more than a waitlist at a school I thought I had a good shot at and that I love.

I'm just so glad I can plan my near future now. Leaving people in limbo for half a year is so wrong. At this point I just needed to know!

Reactions: 4 users
I really wanted to be at Unc because of location, but of all the schools I interviewed at, UNC was the least organized, the rudest to interact with, and the slowest in getting our decisions. I may just be salty, but their handling of this process was really turning me off of the school even before this R

Reactions: 4 users
No change! No email. No call. No carrier pigeon.

Unrequited love, only.

+1 Those of us who haven't heard may have been placed on a waitlist?

I haven't been rejected, so there's still a possibility I get accepted. Regardless, I'm really disappointed about the way this school has handled things. A friend and current med student had warned me about it though. They mentioned how disorganized and uninterested admissions had seemed during their cycle (a few years ago). It's as they know people are dying to go there, so they don't bother to make any type of recruitment efforts. Other top programs are equally sought-after, and they still care a lot about the image one has of them. My friend loves the program and is very happy there, so at least things are different afterwards.

+1 Those of us who haven't heard may have been placed on a waitlist?

I haven't been rejected, so there's still a possibility I get accepted. Regardless, I'm really disappointed about the way this school has handled things. A friend and current med student had warned me about it though. They mentioned how disorganized and uninterested admissions had seemed during their cycle (a few years ago). It's as they know people are dying to go there, so they don't bother to make any type of recruitment efforts. Other top programs are equally sought-after, and they still care a lot about the image one has of them. My friend loves the program and is very happy there, so at least things are different afterwards.

I have been told the same thing by current students during interview day, but that would not have deterred me from attending and I think they know that. I have also been told that lectures are not great and that their board scores started dropping, which is why they changed their curriculum. But again, I would have attended despite having all of this information. It doesn't change that they have a great reputation...which is something that can change, but they don't seem to be worried about that lol