2018-2019 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the waitlist email as well

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
a LOT of salt the past few days... phew....

anyways, i was able to make my onyen account. i'm really looking forward to the 2nd look day at the end of the month!!! It still feels very surreal, but I'm super excited to move to Chapel Hill and start orientation July 31!!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For whatever it’s worth, I called today and they said the waitlist isn’t ranked

Reactions: 2 users
So if the waitlist goes until July 31st, what happens if you've been accepted to a school that starts before then? Do you basically just have to withdraw from the waitlist once you start at the other school?

So if the waitlist goes until July 31st, what happens if you've been accepted to a school that starts before then? Do you basically just have to withdraw from the waitlist once you start at the other school?

All you need to do is call them and tell them your predicament. It’s not an update but a genuine concern and it’s fair to call them

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Update: I called and she said most of the waitlist movement happens around the April 30th deadline when students have to choose to plan/commit, but that there's no way for them to predict what will happen... so essentially, if you're on the waitlist and haven't heard back from UNC by the time the other school starts, you forgo your spot on the waitlist.

Update: I called and she said most of the waitlist movement happens around the April 30th deadline when students have to choose to plan/commit, but that there's no way for them to predict what will happen... so essentially, if you're on the waitlist and haven't heard back from UNC by the time the other school starts, you forgo your spot on the waitlist.

Did you ask how long the waitlist was?

Has anyone still not heard anything? Or has everyone been given some sort of decision

I'm also wondering how long they will take to send the financial aid packages to students accepted off the waitlist. This will be a major decision factor for me, and I need to know by May.

I'm also wondering how long they will take to send the financial aid packages to students accepted off the waitlist. This will be a major decision factor for me, and I need to know by May.

If you need to know early May, that may not happen. By the end of May, your chances are probably good. Once again, I’d probably call and ask

Ok so I was reading about UNC's match day results and I have some questions. Apparently 156 students matched. Out of a class size of 180 students, that's a 87% match rate. Isn't that kind of low compared to the average of US MDs?

Ok so I was reading about UNC's match day results and I have some questions. Apparently 156 students matched. Out of a class size of 180 students, that's a 87% match rate. Isn't that kind of low compared to the average of US MDs?
source?

Hey everyone, long time lurker. This is a case of incorrect conclusions.

From the MSAR, the unduplicated number of matriculants is 180. That data is for 2017 and 2016 first year classes, which doesn't say anything about the matriculant numbers for the class of 2019 (assuming 4 years, they entered as the 2015 first year class). In addition, this is the number of matriculants, not the number of graduating students in the class of 2019, which can change with length of study, second degrees, research years, etc.

From the news briefing, 65 students made up more than 40% of the class of 2019. Thus, the maximum size of the class of 2019 is 65*(100/40)=162.5-->163. Thus, if 156 matched, that is a minimum match rate of 95.7%. The minimum size of the class would be 65*(100/50)=130<156, and thus the maximum match rate is 100%. Match rate ∈ (95.7%,100%).

Also, in regards to all the salt above, I'd thought want to clarify this from an interviewee's perspective for future applicants.

I don't know if my experience was just different from the posters above or if the above are intent on bashing UNC in the spur of admissions decisions.

---The admissions timeline was detailed in a worksheet UNC gave us on interview day. There was more than adequate information in our folders.

---The only unknown in the equation was the decision date. The sheet did not list a relative time from interview for an admissions reply. The only redlined date was March 15th, at which a full class was completed and the waitlist was beginning. That was fulfilled based on the SDN activity for rejections and waitlists. Because UNC did tell us about their timeline upfront, I didn't think it was unfair of them to keep you waiting for that long—you know what you signed up for.

Certain schools set a particular date to release all decisions, way later than interviews (spring), and people seem perfectly fine with that. Who knows. From the adage—no news is good news—the long wait may have indicated the aboves' applications were competitive enough to be considered with later interviews. It's not as they said: If I was going to be rejected anyway, reject me earlier.

---From my experience, the admissions team were not rude at all during interview day or with phone calls. In fact, there was plenty of southern hospitality, free cookies and small talk. The admissions team was however very busy, so the above may have read succinctness for unprofessionalism.

---The idea that UNC is riding on their reputation and doesn't make any recruitment efforts is wrong. Check out this link if you want to see recruitment dates, even some at smaller NC colleges. They also offer 4 Blanchard scholarships + many others every year.

---The board scores dropping is a topic I don't have much historical information for (and I would like to see the aboves' sources). However, I do know from information at interview day, the most recent scores are equally competitive with similarly ranked schools.

Let's end the cycle on a positive note y'all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Also, in regards to all the salt above, I'd thought want to clarify this from an interviewee's perspective for future applicants.

I don't know if my experience was just different from the posters above or if the above are intent on bashing UNC in the spur of admissions decisions.

---The admissions timeline was detailed in a worksheet UNC gave us on interview day. There was more than adequate information in our folders.

---The only unknown in the equation was the decision date. The sheet did not list a relative time from interview for an admissions reply. The only redlined date was March 15th, at which a full class was completed and the waitlist was beginning. That was fulfilled based on the SDN activity for rejections and waitlists. Because UNC did tell us about their timeline upfront, I didn't think it was unfair of them to keep you waiting for that long—you know what you signed up for.

Certain schools set a particular date to release all decisions, way later than interviews (spring), and people seem perfectly fine with that. Who knows. From the adage—no news is good news—the long wait may have indicated the aboves' applications were competitive enough to be considered with later interviews. It's not as they said: If I was going to be rejected anyway, reject me earlier.

---From my experience, the admissions team were not rude at all during interview day or with phone calls. In fact, there was plenty of southern hospitality, free cookies and small talk. The admissions team was however very busy, so the above may have read succinctness for unprofessionalism.

---The idea that UNC is riding on their reputation and doesn't make any recruitment efforts is wrong. Check out this link if you want to see recruitment dates, even some at smaller NC colleges. They also offer 4 Blanchard scholarships + many others every year.

---The board scores dropping is a topic I don't have much historical information for (and I would like to see the aboves' sources). However, I do know from information at interview day, the most recent scores are equally competitive with similarly ranked schools.

Let's end the cycle on a positive note y'all.

I agree with most of your statements. The waiting time sucked but it's part of the game. I also didn't think that anyone was rude at all. To your point about recruitment: attending recruitment fairs for one week of the year..............ok.
As far as my source goes: a current med student told me that they have been stricter with their cohort because scores were dropping. But honestly, I don't think that's important because medical school is what you make it. If you don't do the work you won't make it, no matter which school you attend.
Now, I hope everyone can live with the outcome of this cycle. If you didn't make it thins time, get some feedback and try again! :) Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Once we do the background check and get the results, are we responsible for sending it to “third parties” (the schools?)? Or by releasing the results does it automatically get sent to schools?

Once we do the background check and get the results, are we responsible for sending it to “third parties” (the schools?)? Or by releasing the results does it automatically get sent to schools?

When you release your results they automatically go to the schools.

The second look day was today.

I had a tremendous day meeting the UNC SOM Class of 2023!!! Literally every single person I talked to was special and I was impressed hearing everyone's stories of how they got here. After today, there's no way I could go to any other school..

I loved meeting you all, can't wait to experience this whole thing with such incredible people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
The second look day was today.

I had a tremendous day meeting the UNC SOM Class of 2023!!! Literally every single person I talked to was special and I was impressed hearing everyone's stories of how they got here. There's no way I could go to any other school..

I loved meeting you all, can't wait to experience this whole thing with such incredible people.

During second look, did they say that they had all their seats filled? Last year, apparently they had mentioned that there were some seats still open even after the waitlist went out.

During second look, did they say that they had all their seats filled? Last year, apparently they had mentioned that there were some seats still open even after the waitlist went out.

No. We didn't go to second look to ask about the amount of seats left to fill.... We went to get more info about the school or spend a day imagining our lives in like 5 months (!!!).

No. We didn't go to second look to ask about the amount of seats left to fill.... We went to get more info about the school or spend a day imagining our lives in like 5 months (!!!).
It was just a question.

Reactions: 11 users

So rude and unnecessary. Maybe have a little bit of consideration for those [not as lucky as you] who are anxiously waiting to get off the waitlist? Shouldn't be too difficult.

Hang in there, @We'llSee. There should be a few other acceptance offers left. I'm not expecting movement by April 15th but hopefully there will be some near the end of the month? What do you think?

Reactions: 12 users
So rude and unnecessary. Maybe have a little bit of consideration for those [not as lucky as you] who are anxiously waiting to get off the waitlist? Shouldn't be too difficult.

Hang in there, @We'llSee. There should be a few other acceptance offers left. I'm not expecting movement by April 15th but hopefully there will be some near the end of the month? What do you think?

Thank you @Amarantaa!! <3

I personally know someone who got in at the very end of May two years ago. So I know there’s plenty of time and several offers from the waitlist to go out.

I just come here for the support and ask questions that are smothered in my anxiety. So I appreciate the support! Rooting for all of us!

Reactions: 3 users
Also was at second look, I spoke to many who were on the fence on attending (vs other schools). Stay positive fam !

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but does anyone know when the white coat ceremony will be? I can't find it online but figure someone may have called admissions about it? I have family coming from far away that are trying to plan the trip.

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but does anyone know when the white coat ceremony will be? I can't find it online but figure someone may have called admissions about it? I have family coming from far away that are trying to plan the trip.
I think it’s some time in the first or second week of September. I don’t know for sure though

I forgot to ask during second look, but did anyone have a chance to ask about transcripts? Like is the application status page up to date on whether they received them or not

Received my need-based award last night - the office said they release them on an individual basis.

Has anyone received notification about merit aid?
Are you referring to your aid amounts in Connect Carolina under loans? I'm also seeing federal loans, but haven't heard anything about scholarships/grants.

How are y’all logging into connectcarolina? Were you able to set up your onyen?

Are you referring to your aid amounts in Connect Carolina under loans? I'm also seeing federal loans, but haven't heard anything about scholarships/grants.

I got an email from the Financial Aid Office alongside my aid award notification that said, amongst other things, the following:

"Your basic financial aid award will consist of loans only. All scholarships are awarded through the Admissions Office, decisions are still pending. If you receive a scholarship after the basic financial aid award, your award will be adjusted to include the scholarship."

Hope that helps.

Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to those on the waitlist ! :)

I was just wondering for you guys on the waitlist, did your portal ever change?