2018-2019 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone tell me how UNC views OOS apps? Live in VA but was born in an underserved town in NC. My application is also focused on rural medicine.

Could someone who has interviewed explain the whole 5 stations thing? Is it like MMI where we go in and answer a question or do we actually complete tasks in teams? Also, is the traditional interview open file?
Like AK427 said, we were explicitly instructed not to share information about the interview day, and signed documentation to that effect.

Reactions: 3 users
Got an II yesterday :)
Can't seem to find any info about what time the interview day actually starts, am I missing something or do I need to contact admissions?

Got an II yesterday :)
Can't seem to find any info about what time the interview day actually starts, am I missing something or do I need to contact admissions?

Congrats! I am pretty sure Monday interviews start at 11:00AM, while Friday ones start at 8:00AM. If you click on the available dates in the interview portal, the time should pop-up on the left.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! I am pretty sure Monday interviews start at 11:00AM, while Friday ones start at 8:00AM. If you click on the available dates in the interview portal, the time should pop-up on the left.
Thank you!!! I was so excited that I couldn't even read that

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody know how strict their "seated class" rule is? I took an organic online (had to in order to work to pay for school). but the tests were all proctored and it was a very rigorous class. is it worth mentioning in my secondary?

Anybody know how strict their "seated class" rule is? I took an organic online (had to in order to work to pay for school). but the tests were all proctored and it was a very rigorous class. is it worth mentioning in my secondary?

Current MS1. I took both of my bio classes online with the lab included. No one ever questioned me on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary submitted 9/7. II received 9/27. IS. LM score 64:) Good luck to everyone interviewing! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Question: I'm OOS with LM:76 and submitted my secondary 7/26. I just found out today that UNC takes CASPer and I had not sent it in when I took my test around the same time. I just submitted my results today, will this hurt my chances? It also doesn't even show if they received my LORs

Question: I'm OOS with LM:76 and submitted my secondary 7/26. I just found out today that UNC takes CASPer and I had not sent it in when I took my test around the same time. I just submitted my results today, will this hurt my chances? It also doesn't even show if they received my LORs

I received an II and didn’t send my casper to UNC, I didn’t even know they considered it. I am IS fwiw.

They just added it last week and are only requiring it from interviewees, so no! You are just fine

Also, I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but they are not releasing any decisions until December this year. And no, I do not know which day in December.

Gahh, what?? So if you’re interviewing there you’ll have to submit a CASPer?
Correct. Which, wasn't a big deal for me because I had already taken it and just needed to add them as a recipient, but I'm a little concerned about people who may not have taken it, if it will still be available when they get an II.

Correct. Which, wasn't a big deal for me because I had already taken it and just needed to add them as a recipient, but I'm a little concerned about people who may not have taken it, if it will still be available when they get an II.
Yeah, I purposely didn't apply to any school that required CASPer. I was SO excited for my interview here - now, I'm just stressed out because there is another hoop to jump through this late in the game. Schools shouldn't be allowed to add CASPer at this point in the cycle, that's just ridiculous.

Yeah, I purposely didn't apply to any school that required CASPer. I was SO excited for my interview here - now, I'm just stressed out because there is another hoop to jump through this late in the game. Schools shouldn't be allowed to add CASPer at this point in the cycle, that's just ridiculous.

It is late, but the CASPer test itself is not a huge add. You don’t really have to prepare for it, you just need to sign up, so try not to stress.

Oh, no :(. I didn't know about UNC and CASPer. I'm so scared now. I'm not sure how I did on CASPer.

Oh, no :(. I didn't know about UNC and CASPer. I'm so scared now. I'm not sure how I did on CASPer.
That’s how I feel too! I haven’t gotten any IIs at schools that required CASPer so I feel like i didn’t do well, and now my top choice school decides to add it on...lovely

That’s how I feel too! I haven’t gotten any IIs at schools that required CASPer so I feel like i didn’t do well, and now my top choice school decides to add it on...lovely

Same, I don't have IIs from schools that require CASPer either. UNC is also one of my top choices. In other threads, some people have mentioned that schools won't use CASPer as a determining factor during the first years as they need to evaluate how CASPer would influence their decisions. Hopefully that's the case for UNC.

Where did you see this requirement for interviewees?

Can someone who has already interviewed confirm whether or not CASPer is required? The last date for CASPer is November 20th, which wouldn't make sense since there are interview dates that extend past that.

I did not see it anywhere, they told us during interviews.

I got an OOS II and have heard no mention of this from them. I'm calling them, hang tight and I might have to call back but I'll let you know what they say.

They told us specifically at our interview on 9/24 that all interviewees will be required to complete the CASPER test and that no one will hear any decisions before December.

I have also concluded that they are not answering my calls because it is Sunday...

They told us specifically at our interview on 9/24 that all interviewees will be required to complete the CASPER test and that no one will hear any decisions before December.

So anyone who hasn’t gotten an interview yet (or may not get one until after November 20th, the last CASPER date this year) and has looked on UNCSOM’s website (where there’s no mention of CASPER as a requirement), are expected to know this fun fact? Are you sure they don’t want future students to take it after acceptance so they can start gathering data on whether they want to use it as a part of their admissions process?

Sorry... I’m worrying about other students who don’t know this

So anyone who hasn’t gotten an interview yet (or may not get one until after November 20th, the last CASPER date this year) and has looked on UNCSOM’s website (where there’s no mention of CASPER as a requirement), are expected to know this fun fact? Are you sure they don’t want future students to take it after acceptance so they can start gathering data on whether they want to use it as a part of their admissions process?

Sorry... I’m worrying about other students who don’t know this

Good point about those who interview after Nov 20th and haven’t taken the CASPer. Maybe they are using it as an experimental run this year and not counting it towards their decisions. Thats all soeculation though.

That would be me because mine is after the 20th.

Edit: when I got my II about 2 weeks ago the first interview available was the last Monday of November so that means everyone who hasn’t received one is definitely going to have one after the 20th if they do

I really don't think UNC will take Casper scores into account when making decisions. Just like what sk1791 posted above, they are probably trying to gather data on whether it's a good metric for admissions for potential future use.

We don't share specifics just to be fair to everyone. Rest assured that interview day is meant to be very relaxed. It is actually better organized now than when I went through it a couple years ago.

Can you give us a rundown of the interview day schedule and whether or not the breakfast/lunch (if provided) is lit?

Reactions: 4 users
Like AK427 said, we were explicitly instructed not to share information about the interview day, and signed documentation to that effect.

Do you know if interviewers evaluate the "stations" or if they are purely informational (for our benefit, akin to a tour of the facilities)? I understand the contents/scenarios are confidential, but I wouldn't think asking about the format would be.

Just got an email from UNC today requesting I send them CASPer scores “as part of the interviewing process.” They apologized for the late notice and said we could sign up for a date after the interview if necessary. Nothing about whether it affects the decision or is just a beta test thing.

Just got an email from UNC today requesting I send them CASPer scores “as part of the interviewing process.” They apologized for the late notice and said we could sign up for a date after the interview if necessary. Nothing about whether it affects the decision or is just a beta test thing.

I also got this e-mail and am interviewing at UNC in the near future. Maybe they're gonna finish giving out interviews before the last Casper date (11/20)?

+1

I also got this e-mail and am interviewing at UNC in the near future. Maybe they're gonna finish giving out interviews before the last Casper date (11/20)?

I wouldn't think so. It all seems too rushed.

Just received an email that we need to take the CASPer (lmao). As someone living out of the country and has already had to reschedule flights to accommodate an interview date (Nov. 26th) with UNC it's frustrating they are requiring this so late in the game. Especially when there are only two test dates left and the test must be taken in the U.S.

If anyone has any advice let me know! Really not sure if I can reschedule flights again to accommodate the test. Thoughts on what happens if I can't make it back to take the exam?

I would email them and explain your situation. Because of the late notice, I think people who are invited to interview after November 20th (last date to take CASPer) won't be able to take the exam. Maybe they're just trying to gather as many as possible to do some research.

Sooo if we haven't gotten an email about CASPer yet is it best to assume they're sending them out in waves?

Do you know if interviewers evaluate the "stations" or if they are purely informational (for our benefit, akin to a tour of the facilities)? I understand the contents/scenarios are confidential, but I wouldn't think asking about the format would be.
Pretty sure you're evaluated on the stations as it says so on their "Experience UNC: Our Interview Day" page.

Just received an email that we need to take the CASPer (lmao). As someone living out of the country and has already had to reschedule flights to accommodate an interview date (Nov. 26th) with UNC it's frustrating they are requiring this so late in the game. Especially when there are only two test dates left and the test must be taken in the U.S.

If anyone has any advice let me know! Really not sure if I can reschedule flights again to accommodate the test. Thoughts on what happens if I can't make it back to take the exam?

I live in Uganda and took Casper from here so totally doable outside the US

II! Did not get an email, just happened to check my portal today. OOS but grew up in North Carolina. LM ~72 and complete 8/12

If I was complete in early July and still haven't heard anything from UNC, is it pretty safe to say I should let this one go? I received all four of my other interviews 1-2 months ago now, but still radio silence from UNC.

I know it's still pretty early, but I'm seeing people who were complete long after me getting interviews (Congrats to all of you!!). Can anyone offer any insight on this? Anyone who completed early, received a late interview here and was accepted?

If I was complete in early July and still haven't heard anything from UNC, is it pretty safe to say I should let this one go? I received all four of my other interviews 1-2 months ago now, but still radio silence from UNC.

I know it's still pretty early, but I'm seeing people who were complete long after me getting interviews (Congrats to all of you!!). Can anyone offer any insight on this? Anyone who completed early, received a late interview here and was accepted?

i recently spoke with one of my advisors (who sits on adcom at a top 10 med school) and essentially asked him the exact question re: when i should expect to hear back and what that means...his exact words were "i think that means a lot of schools are overwhelmed...i know for a fact that at [our school] there are still many applications we haven't gone through yet" FWIW - i think it is worth waiting for a bit longer to see what will happen! have faith in yourself!

i recently spoke with one of my advisors (who sits on adcom at a top 10 med school) and essentially asked him the exact question re: when i should expect to hear back and what that means...his exact words were "i think that means a lot of schools are overwhelmed...i know for a fact that at [our school] there are still many applications we haven't gone through yet" FWIW - i think it is worth waiting for a bit longer to see what will happen! have faith in yourself!

Are there IS people that were complete after early-August that still haven't heard back? I am slightly getting concerned at the lack of love from UNC as an IS applicant with above average stats (for the IS group). Obviously no interview is "guaranteed" but had high hopes for this one!