2018-2019 University of North Texas Health Science Center (UNTHSC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!!
Did they email or call you?
I actually stumbled upon it on my portal on the MyUNTHSC page. The waitlist status had changed to "you have been accepted and will shortly receive an email". About an hour later I received a call and 30 minutes after that the email.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone send a letter of intent or additional letter of rec after being waitlisted? If so, did anyone try to follow up and see if the documents were received somehow?

Did anyone send a letter of intent or additional letter of rec after being waitlisted? If so, did anyone try to follow up and see if the documents were received somehow?

Yes, call admissions and outreach and they will be able to tell you.

Reactions: 2 users
Our matches look like they were killer this year. I’ll post a list whenever I get my hands on one!

EDIT: In the mean time, here are a few notable matches I saw...
- at least three ACGME Interventional Radiology matches (UTSW, Mayo Clinic FL, and UM Florida)
- one dual IM/Psychiatry match
- at least four General Surgery matches...didn't count ACGME vs. Military vs. AOA
- at least two Dermatology matches...didn't count ACGME vs. Military vs. AOA
- at least one Otolaryngology match
- at least one Urology match

I say "at least" because my sample size is probably about 70/230.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Our matches look like they were killer this year. I’ll post a list whenever I get my hands on one!

EDIT: In the mean time, here are a few notable matches I saw...
- at least three ACGME Interventional Radiology matches (UTSW, Mayo Clinic FL, and UM Florida)
- one dual IM/Psychiatry match
- at least four General Surgery matches...didn't count ACGME vs. Military vs. AOA
- at least two Dermatology matches...didn't count ACGME vs. Military vs. AOA
- at least one Otolaryngology match
- at least one Urology match

I say "at least" because my sample size is probably about 70/230.

These are competitive specialties and great matches for sure, but what I like is that we've had recent matches to programs in Texas that historically just doesn't happen. For example, UTSW anesthesiology and Houston Methodist neurology.

What this means is that for the majority of you guys/gals from '23 that are from Houston/Austin(and I know there are a lot of you from here), you stand a good chance of going back home if you'd like!

Reactions: 4 users
As an OOS student, TCOM is my top choice. I'm wondering what it would take to be an IS student if I need to reapply next year and move to Texas. Has anyone done this? Any advice?

Reactions: 1 users
Opened up gmail this morning to finish up my Letter of Intent and was more than pleasantly surprised to see the Acceptance offer sitting at the top of my inbox. I wish I could start school today! Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall.

Reactions: 14 users
Opened up gmail this morning to finish up my Letter of Intent and was more than pleasantly surprised to see the Acceptance offer sitting at the top of my inbox. I wish I could start school today! Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall.
Congrats! When did you interview?

As an OOS student, should I be aiming for 510+ on MCAT or like 507-510? I'm just curious what others stats are as my GPA is really strong.

As an OOS student, should I be aiming for 510+ on MCAT or like 507-510? I'm just curious what others stats are as my GPA is really strong.

Always assume that higher is better, especially when it comes to OOS. I know IS students with a 513/3.6 that got a late interview and waitlisted. Conversely, and for the record, I also know others with considerably lower scores who were offered prematch acceptances.

Keep in mind, though: I have heard time and time again that TCOM attempts to be very...holistic, for lack of a better word...with their admissions. They’ve harped on this to us, and, from knowing our class, they seem to be putting their money where their mouth is.

Do we have to mail in our LOI or can we email them?

Does anyone have an estimate on the number of people they waitlist?

Does anyone have an estimate on the number of people they waitlist?

At Texas schools, most students who did not match are given a waitlist position. As a result, you should expect the number to be in the lower hundreds (3-400). However, TCOM is one of the few Texas schools that sends pre-match rejections, so it's entirely possible the waitlist is actually smaller than that for this school.

When are you guys going to start apartment hunting?

Also applying for loans?

Trying to get my timeline in check.

When are you guys going to start apartment hunting?

Also applying for loans?

Trying to get my timeline in check.

Discover myHSC day is tomorrow, so I imagine a good chunk of students will try to sign a lease then. That said, I signed my apartment lease in the middle of May and didn't have too much of an issue in terms of availability.

Be sure to submit your FAFSA and the school should offer you the Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loan for the amount of ~$45,000 which includes the COL. If you need anything beyond that amount, then the earlier the better for other loan applications.

Discover myHSC day is tomorrow, so I imagine a good chunk of students will try to sign a lease then. That said, I signed my apartment lease in the middle of May and didn't have too much of an issue in terms of availability.

Be sure to submit your FAFSA and the school should offer you the Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loan for the amount of ~$45,000 which includes the COL. If you need anything beyond that amount, then the earlier the better for other loan applications.

Ah okay I see, so is COA under 45k? I saw this pdf and it said around 50k for first years.

Ah okay I see, so is COA under 45k? I saw this pdf and it said around 50k for first years.

That expense sheet overestimates a fair amount, here are a few examples:
  • Room & Board is estimated at $16,874 - I am currently in a 1B/1B apartment that's about 8 minutes from campus for $850/mo + utilities. Some of my other classmates live closer to campus (within walking distance) and are paying from $1000-1300/mo. Just be realistic with yourself because there are plenty of < $1000 housing options.
  • Health insurance is $2600 - if you are on your parent's or spouses' health insurance, or want to go through a private insurance that is cheaper, this fee will be waived.
  • Book & Supplies is estimated at $3466 - There are plenty of resources provided by the school, e.g. all text books are essentially provided to you via online access, and outside board prep material would only cost a couple hundred per 6 mo. - 1 year subscription.
  • Loan fees are estimated at $480 - A majority of us have our loans on deferment, so technically you don't need to pay any amount towards your loans while in school.
Overall, neither me nor many of my classmates are struggling with the amount of financial aid allotted. However, if you do find yourself needing more then I recommend looking into the Grad PLUS loan or other loan options.

To add to Rusrus:

I pay about $600/month including utilities for my apartment and eat for around $120/week. Make sure you asked about subsidized housing everywhere that you look - most complexes in the area offer it and hand it out like candy to medical students. However, many places do not have empty "subsidized units" as they have specific units set aside for the subsidized housing program.

Tl;dr, my total COA would be well under 45k/year even if I coated my food with gold shavings.

Anyone willing to look over my secondary? I'm preparing to reapply. Thanks!

Are we not allowed to email the admissions office our updated transcripts? I was reading through the waitlist instructions and it said to email unofficial transcripts at the provided email, but when I called them they said they only take official mailed in sealed transcripts.

Are we not allowed to email the admissions office our updated transcripts? I was reading through the waitlist instructions and it said to email unofficial transcripts at the provided email, but when I called them they said they only take official mailed in sealed transcripts.

Call again and verify. Do whatever the office says upon verification.

Call again and verify. Do whatever the office says upon verification.

Do we have to send updated transcripts directly to the schools, or can they see our updated grades through TMDSAS.

Accepted! Me, and 4 other med-sci's that I know of got accepted today! We were all on the "under-review" list.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! Me, and 4 other med-sci's that I know of got accepted today! We were all on the "under-review" list.
Congrats! Is the "under-review" list a separate waitlist for med-sci's? My portal status says "you are currently on the waitlist".

Congrats! Is the "under-review" list a separate waitlist for med-sci's? My portal status says "you are currently on the waitlist".

I believe so. When I was first placed on the "under review" list, the email said they are waiting on our spring grades to make a final decision. I know other med-sci's on the hard waitlist instead. I also know one person who was under review and is now on the waitlist.

I believe so. When I was first placed on the "under review" list, the email said they are waiting on our spring grades to make a final decision. I know other med-sci's on the hard waitlist instead. I also know one person who was under review and is now on the waitlist.

Mega rip.

Soooo I’m hoping we hear about some more movement soon (for the peeps not in med sci)

Reactions: 10 users
OOS, just got acceptance today. Feel soooooooooooo blessed right now:soexcited:

Reactions: 5 users
I am looking to apply here next cycle. I am oos from NJ. I have family ties to texas and want to practice im texas. I have 3.6 and 514 with 2 years of 4.0s. Do you think it is worth for me to apply?

I am looking to apply here next cycle. I am oos from NJ. I have family ties to texas and want to practice im texas. I have 3.6 and 514 with 2 years of 4.0s. Do you think it is worth for me to apply?

I think you have a solid chance.

I've been told that the average accepted MCAT from OOS for TCOM 2023 was 512, so you're competitive on that metric. I'm not sure what the accepted GPA was for OOS, but our overall average is about 3.7. Just know that it's an uphill battle for all OOSers at all Texas schools.

I think you have a solid chance.

I've been told that the average accepted MCAT from OOS for TCOM 2023 was 512, so you're competitive on that metric. I'm not sure what the accepted GPA was for OOS, but our overall average is about 3.7. Just know that it's an uphill battle for all OOSers at all Texas schools.

What were the stats for in state students for TCOM 2023?

I think it's worth to apply. I got in as OOS this year and I only had 507 MCAT. I feel they do look at your application holistically.

Hi guys,

As promised (kind of), there was some match data released recently. It can be found here:

It looks like those interventional radiology residencies were merged into, simply, "Radiology".

The actual list (with individual programs) should be coming in the near future. The index where TCOM matches are posted has recently gone down and I suspect that it will return with 2019 matches in it.