2018-2019 University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! I got an email to check my portal at 1:46pm. I thought I was gonna get the axe

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
OMG!! Accepted MSTP just now! Brb, I'm going to go take some deep breaths to make my heart stop racing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted! Does anyone know if waitlist movement happens at Penn?

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected as well. Stings quite a bit cause this was my dream school. Best of luck to those accepted and still in the running

Reactions: 1 users
Wowww accepted!!!! Thrilled, Penn was my top choice after interviewing and I sent them a LOI. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted. They said they tend to accept 12-20 from a waitlist that is initially 250 students deep

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! Got into my two top choices this cycle, I'm actually crying tears of joy. This is wild

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
waitlistedddd. HUGE congrats to everyone accepted!!!!

I know it’s an unreasonable request and these things aren’t on a hard and fast schedule but one day I hope applicants will just receive an “OK, we’re on track to post decisions Wednesday so keep an eye out” email. This is like the fourth time in two weeks I’ve played the jump at my phone notifications game

I want it on the record that I called it

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted baby let’s go!!! Interviewed early January!

im nauseas I can't get myself to check

Accepted here too! Grateful but also actually surprised because I felt like my interview day was very average at best. I feel like it's become an actual pattern... "meh" interviews ended up surprisingly well but my self-described great interviews were letdowns come decision time.

waitlisted at my top three schools! what a week

Reactions: 5 users
Wow. After 7 consecutive waitlists at lower ranked schools I got accepted here. Someone made a huge mistake :cigar:

Reactions: 14 users
YES!!! ACCEPTED!! :soexcited: I’m so incredibly happy, this was tied for my top choice pick and after getting waitlisted at the other I’m beyond happy to have gotten in!

Reactions: 7 users
Wow. After 7 consecutive waitlists at lower ranked schools I got accepted here. Someone made a huge mistake :cigar:
Sounds like 7 schools made mistake. At least, 1 got it right.

Accepted! Can't wait to meet our future classmates EEEP! Sending good energy and high hopes to those waitlisted!

Does anyone know if there is a waitlist for Penn's second look? Ik some other schools have them but wasn't sure about here.

Hi all, current PSOM student here. Congrats on your acceptances. I just wanted to provide the opportunity for you to ask any anonymous questions before returning for Preview. If you have a question you believe others will benefit from then ask right here. Otherwise feel free to DM me.

P.S. I won't reveal my year here because I don't want to give myself away, but if you DM me I'll be happy to talk specifics

Hi all, current PSOM student here. Congrats on your acceptances. I just wanted to provide the opportunity for you to ask any anonymous questions before returning for Preview. If you have a question you believe others will benefit from then ask right here. Otherwise feel free to DM me.

P.S. I won't reveal my year here because I don't want to give myself away, but if you DM me I'll be happy to talk specifics

Out of curiosity how does AOA + clinical grading work at Penn?

Out of curiosity how does AOA + clinical grading work at Penn?
AOA is a bit different here. At the current moment, it does factor in our Mod2 grades a bit (the organ blocks, not the basic science-y stuff you'll start out with), but with most of the emphasis on clinical grading. Now, clinical grading is not done by "chunking". This means, anyone can get honors/high pass if they do the work to deserve it. There's not a hard and fast limit on percentages of each designation. As for AOA, there is an "internal ranking" system. The top (I forget the exact number)% are allowed to apply for AOA each year at the end of 3rd year. At this time, everyone submits their applications including community service, extracurriculars, research, etc. There is a committee that uses your rank, activities, etc and picks AOA from there.
As the years have gone by, more and more emphasis has been put on the extra stuff. Grades still matter of course, but they are not everything!
We also have the Gold Humanism Society which is completely separate and relies on basically everything except grades.

Hope this answers your question! If you want more specifics on anything just let me know.