2018-2019 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+1, KY Resident
On the below question for the secondary app, do you know if SHPEP at Univ of Louis is considered a Professional Education Preparation Programs? OR Is this referring specifically/ONLY to the PEPP program?

Have you attended one of the following Professional Education Preparation Programs? If so, please select which one.
No Professional Education Preparation Program
Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville

I didn't participate in either myself, but the way they ask it, sounds like they only are referring to PEPP. Email Ronnie to be sure.

Can someone post the secondary questions please?

Please explain why you believe KYCOM is the right choice for your osteopathic medical education.

Please explain why you believe you are an excellent choice to be an osteopathic medical student at KYCOM.

Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ha ha very funny. I know it was 500 three years ago according to their website. I kindly ask what it the updated average (if u even know that)
It’s still about the same, around a 500-501

My status on my Pikeville app indicates "Incomplete" for letters of recommendation.
They are automatically forwarded to our selected med schools by AACOMAS,.right?

My status on my Pikeville app indicates "Incomplete" for letters of recommendation.
They are automatically forwarded to our selected med schools by AACOMAS,.right?

If they are coming from AACOMAS, then it will be updated as "complete" within the time-frame they give after you complete your secondary application. I think it requires someone going through and checking it but I could be wrong.

If they are coming from AACOMAS, then it will be updated as "complete" within the time-frame they give after you complete your secondary application. I think it requires someone going through and checking it but I could be wrong.
Thank you. I guess they haven't had time to check yet.

Please explain why you believe KYCOM is the right choice for your osteopathic medical education.

Please explain why you believe you are an excellent choice to be an osteopathic medical student at KYCOM.

Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school.

Thank you!! Were there word limits??

My letters of rec still say incomplete as well. I submitted my letters from interfolio to AACOMAS. I listed my letters in the secondary because I thought that’s where they wanted us to classify the letters as science/physician. Now Im not sure if they wanted you to do that only if you haven’t submitted them yet.

My letters of rec still say incomplete as well. I submitted my letters from interfolio to AACOMAS. I listed my letters in the secondary because I thought that’s where they wanted us to classify the letters as science/physician. Now Im not sure if they wanted you to do that only if you haven’t submitted them yet.

By completing that part you’re telling them which ones you want them to use. So when they go through it they will select those letters. Other systems have done that as well.

I wouldn't worry about it. My letters are also marked as incomplete. It seems as if everyone is having the same problem, so it's probably something on their end, not ours

Are there any kycom students active on the board? Would love to hear about people's experience at this school. Seems like a bit of a hidden gem imo.

Are there any kycom students active on the board? Would love to hear about people's experience at this school. Seems like a bit of a hidden gem imo.
Same here- also would appreciate interview advice-any unusual questions? BTW I haven't received II yet, but hoping to.

I’m a current Student. I love being at KYCOM. We have amazing faculty (most actually practice medicine in the community too) and I have had no real issues since being here. I feel the education I receive and the type of learning/training I receive will definitely pay off during boards. We start patient encounters 1st semester of 1st year (standardized patients) and get into the hospital starting 2nd year. The community is very nice and they love us. There is also quite a few things to do here especially if you like the outdoors. We have plenty of clubs to join and leadership positions to offer. We also have lots of community service events and even some research opportunities if that is your thing. It would be better for me to give direct answers to questions if you have any. Also, feel free to PM me if you want:) Good Luck to everyone! You made a great decision applying

Reactions: 4 users
Same here- also would appreciate interview advice-any unusual questions? BTW I haven't received II yet, but hoping to.
PM me when you get an invite and I’ll fill you in. There is a page on here that has stats on schools with most commonly asked questions etc. I found that helpful. We do not do MMIs and the interviews are extremely laid back. Just know your personal statement and essays very well. If you have anything unusual (like a trip or something) they like to talk about that as well. The goal of the interview is to see how well you would fit in with our personality. So biggest advice is be yourself and try to remain calm lol. No real questions I couldn’t answer or didn’t expect coming my way. It’s also nice that you usually hear back about acceptance in a week or 2 of interviewing. Hope that helps

Application status now shows "complete." Anybody know time range they send out interview invites?

Application status now shows "complete." Anybody know time range they send out interview invites?
It’s not for awhile. I think the interview season for us starts late September or October.

Still a great idea to apply early though bc your files will be reviewed 1st

is there a community clinic run by KYCOM? I swear I read about it somewhere but of course can't find it again

is there a community clinic run by KYCOM? I swear I read about it somewhere but of course can't find it again
Yep! It’s actually on the 4th floor of our building and we begin assisting our 1st year:)

I’m a current Student. I love being at KYCOM. We have amazing faculty (most actually practice medicine in the community too) and I have had no real issues since being here. I feel the education I receive and the type of learning/training I receive will definitely pay off during boards. We start patient encounters 1st semester of 1st year (standardized patients) and get into the hospital starting 2nd year. The community is very nice and they love us. There is also quite a few things to do here especially if you like the outdoors. We have plenty of clubs to join and leadership positions to offer. We also have lots of community service events and even some research opportunities if that is your thing. It would be better for me to give direct answers to questions if you have any. Also, feel free to PM me if you want:) Good Luck to everyone! You made a great decision applying
So glad that you're enjoying your time at kycom @Medscigirl! Will be sure to shoot you a pm as I look more into the program.

Interview Invite received by email today.
Selected 9/7 for my interview date
Anyone else interviewing then?

I just checked the portal and I had an interview invite waiting on me. I never received an email about it so everyone check the Pikeville application portal!

I just checked the portal and I had an interview invite waiting on me. I never received an email about it so everyone check the Pikeville application portal!
Great, according to email you select your date but the interview times are different for Fri and Sat
"...12:15 to approximately 5:30 PM for Friday interviews or 8:45 am to 2:30 pm for Saturday interviews." [from the email]

When did you guys submit the secondary and when were you marked as complete?

I received an II today. I am interested in becoming involved in research. Do you have any insight you can offer me regarding access to research programs and whether stipends are granted for research?

When did you guys submit the secondary and when were you marked as complete?
Submitted Secondary 7/13
Secondary Complete 7/20 (to see if complete, check status on portal, I did not receive an email confirming "complete")

Submitted Secondary 7/13
Secondary Complete 7/20 (to see if complete, check status on portal, I did not receive an email confirming "complete")

Same here. What's interesting is that my application showed as "complete" the instant I submitted my secondary (with my LORs already attached to my file), but the communication status only shows as "secondary submitted," and the email reads that I will be notified once my application is complete.

BTW, for those who are OOS that received IIs, mind sharing your stats?

I submitted my secondary on 7/14 with my LORs on my AACOMAS application but the whole file hasn’t been completed yet. Hate playing this waiting game

II today, IS. 3.89 cGPA, 3.82 sGPA, 512 MCAT. Not sure when I was complete but I submitted my payment on 7/13

For others who got an II: Does the amount of dates seem a little sparse?

All I saw initially is 2 in August and 1 in october. Then now it's changed to only 2 in august, 1 in november. Obviously earlier is beneficial but still it seems like there's dates missing when they go 2 months without any interviews lol. Maybe they'll add more dates? Idk

I just had to email them about my LOR not being marked as complete even though my committee letter was showing up in my portal. They were very quick to respond and got my application marked as complete!