2018-2019 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
“End of January”. It looks like last year though that something about FAFSA popped up on the portal for some ppl. Everyone who had that message was accepted and those who did not have it got WLed.

I noticed that from last year's thread as well. Should we add PittMed to our FAFSA list if we have already submitted the FAFSA? I did not think to add a school I was not yet accepted to, but I am wondering if that has any effect on the message people were seeing on their portal before getting accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

I also have the readme tab that says server error in application. Was the readme tab always there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete guess:
They told us during the interview we would receive an email when it was time to check the portal and see acceptance status. I would bet they are prepping all interviewees' pages with a tab which will be edited to reflect acceptance/rejection at the end of the month.

Reactions: 1 user
Complete guess:
They told us during the interview we would receive an email when it was time to check the portal and see acceptance status. I would bet they are prepping all interviewees' pages with a tab which will be edited to reflect acceptance/rejection at the end of the month.
I think the readme tab was always there. I don’t remember what was on it but it was probably something like application instructions and now it shows an error because the application cycle is finished

I think the readme tab was always there. I don’t remember what was on it but it was probably something like application instructions and now it shows an error because the application cycle is finished

It was always there and yeah it had all the info about how the cycle would proceed and what to fill out in the secondary etc. but I'm not sure why that would need to go away when the cycle ended. Either way, next week will be a long one :)

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everybody, looking forward to meeting some of you at second look. I remember the portal financial aid message causing chaos last year not sure if they’ll let that happen again lol

Does anyone know what a typical day looks like for Pitt Med students? Is there > 4 hours of classes/mandatory activities per day? I'm curious how the average day might compare to students at say Case Western with classes 8-12.

Thanks in advance!
Hi first year here, most stuff is not mandatory and I barley go to class. Wednesday’s usually mandatory class from 8-12, one day of the week either Monday Thursday or Friday you’ll have like a medical interviewing or physical exam class for 3-4 hours. Some classes have work shops and PBL and labs that are mandatory like histo/pathology but even anatomy lab wasn’t mandatory really most people split up who came each day. Those pbls are usually 2-3 days a week for an hour or two so not bad. All in all not much mandatory stuff at all

is it worth to update/LOI now? i interviewed in the fall but maybe they already have decided

is it worth to update/LOI now? i interviewed in the fall but maybe they already have decided
Wondering the same thing. Guessing they probably already made their decisions, but no one will ever be able to answer that

I don't see how it could help right now. There's only a few days until decisions are released and they've likely already made them. Either:

a. you're in line for an A and any correspondence wouldn't matter/could hurt you if anything

b. you're about to be WL'd, in which case waiting a little while before an update/LOI would be more impactful

c. you're about to get the R, meaning you weren't close enough to get put on the WL so anything other than a significant update means nothing.

IMO, I'd wait until Feb/March to submit one if you are on the WL. Just my $0.02

I guess I'll start the annual "Pitt Tea Leaf Reading Ceremony", since I'm so excited about this school. My application status disappeared... Did anyone else have this happen on their portal?

Reactions: 5 users
I guess I'll start the annual "Pitt Tea Leaf Reading Ceremony", since I'm so excited about this school. My application status disappeared... Did anyone else have this happen on their portal?
Mine did too hmm.. and I'm pretty sure it was there yesterday

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine did too hmm.. and I'm pretty sure it was there yesterday
It definitely was... I've been checking compulsively ever since I caught wind that Pitt seems to always alter something on the portal before decisions go out.

It definitely was... I've been checking compulsively ever since I caught wind that Pitt seems to always alter something on the portal before decisions go out.

Hmmm... My application status tab is still there, I think. Maybe bad news, maybe no news. Who knows.

Hmmm... My application status tab is still there, I think. Maybe bad news, maybe no news. Who knows.
To clarify, the tab is still there but the typed status that used to say "MD app received and under review" has disappeared under the tab.

To clarify, the tab is still there but the typed status that used to say "MD app received and under review" has disappeared under the tab.
If I had to guess I’d say that will probs happen for everyone bc maybe that is where the admissions status will go up next week? Like the portal is just being switched over from the secondary app process to the admissions decision process

If I had to guess I’d say that will probs happen for everyone bc maybe that is where the admissions status will go up next week? Like the portal is just being switched over from the secondary app process to the admissions decision process

Yeah, I would agree with this. That change probably doesn't mean too much, and they're just preparing to insert decisions into the portal.

Thanks for the clarification @Rag1Rag2 on the status thing, my hope isn't completely dashed now haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I would agree with this. That change probably doesn't mean too much, and they're just preparing to insert decisions into the portal.

Thanks for the clarification @Rag1Rag2 on the status thing, my hope isn't completely dashed now haha.
No problem. It probably doesn't mean anything as far as acceptance. But... It could mean we might hear a decision earlier than expected?!?! Either way, we are going to find out sooner or later.

My application status disappeared this morning as well.

No problem. It probably doesn't mean anything as far as acceptance. But... It could mean we might hear a decision earlier than expected?!?! Either way, we are going to find out sooner or later.

Jan 31 was the quoted day from interviews right? So, 7 days minus x, where x = adcom mercy (although adcom here on interview day was awesome regardless).

Reactions: 3 users
I definitely don't have anything that says "under review" anymore but I also didn't remember there ever was anything there ahah

mine is also gone...was definitely there yesterday. probably means nothing...

Do we know if they call or email for acceptances next week?

Well...i just got an email congratulating me on my acceptance and inviting me to apply for Pitt Med Research Experience for Prematriculants (PREP). Doesn't look like a usual acceptance email though. More like a follow-up. No change in portal either. Think this is legit?

Last edited:
Received an email from PREP congratulating me on my acceptance to Pitt, but have not received an official acceptance email. My portal is also unchanged. Anyone else experience this? I'm trying not to be excited because Pitt is one of my top choices.

I just got an email with an invite to attend the PREP program. The first line reads:
"We congratulate you on your admission to the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and would like to inform you that you are eligible to apply to the Pitt-Med Research Experience for Pre-matriculants (PREP) program."

I think this is a good sign...I hope it wasn't an error.
I also think that someone might get fired or reprimanded for sending out these emails prior to the actual admission notification.

+1 on the email, let’s hope it’s not an accident lol

Well...i just got an email congratulating me on my acceptance and inviting me to apply for Pitt Med Research Experience for Prematriculants (PREP). Doesn't look like a usual acceptance email though. More like a follow-up. No change in portal either. Think this is legit?

Oh lordy I also got the PREP email i hope dearly this is not a false alarm

+1 for the email, I was elated at first but now I'm worried it was an accident.

They seemed to take this stuff super seriously when I interviewed, said they wouldn't send anything over email specifically to avoid this type of thing, since a student did it once as a prank (and was expelled). The only communication we're supposed to get is by mail.

Edit: Just checked my portal and it says I've been admitted!

Last edited:
someone wanna call them and report back? I'll start a gofundme for the brave soul who does

I did not get the PREP email and just checked my portal and it says I am on the waitlist, which is better than a rejection so that's good!

Acceptance on portal!! IT'S REAL!!! :soexcited:

If you got the email check your portal, mine says I've been admitted under "Application Status"

Officially accepted!!! Portal has been updated!

Accepted via the portal, got the PREP email earlier!
(also the README tab is still bugged for anyone reading this in the future)

Didn't get the email. Checked portal and was waitlisted unfortunately. Congrats to everyone else!

How does their waitlist movement look typically?
MSAR says 65 acceptances are given from the WL every year. It also says that they have 2 tiers in their WL. My portal doesn't tell me which tier I'm on though.

Also accepted via the portal. Congrats to everyone, an thank you Pitt for the bonus week!