2018-2019 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you mind sharing when they let you know about financial aid offers? Did you fill out a separate application or just FAFSA?
Thanks!!!

I don’t remember exactly when they let me know but I think it was around the beginning of April since it was before second look day. I also didn’t fill out any addition forms other than fasfa, but I did have my complete fasfa forwarded to them the day I was accepted

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t remember exactly when they let me know but I think it was around the beginning of April since it was before second look day. I also didn’t fill out any addition forms other than fasfa, but I did have my complete fasfa forwarded to them the day I was accepted

On Pitt's FinAid website, it mentions that the CSS Profile is required to qualify for institutional aid. Is that a new requirement?

Rules are different from the PTSP.

Ah, sorry I think my prior post was a little confusing....

What I meant is this: If you're waitlisted for UPSOM's MD program, the PSTP says they can accept you and then you become a UPSOM MD and PSTP student.

But if you're rejected from UPSOM, applying to PSTP cannot help you, as they cannot accept people who were rejected from UPSOM outright.

Blair mentioned this at the PSTP info session I attended at the end of my interview day.

It's unlikely he would mention this if UPSOM straight up did not reject people.

Maybe the most likely truth is that post-II Rs are just very rare at Pittsburgh? Because they want to keep their options open?

Maybe the most likely truth is that post-II Rs are just very rare at Pittsburgh? Because they want to keep their options open?

From the numbers mentioned at my interview, they seem to have a pretty low yield in terms of accepted/matriculated. I’d say waitlist movement at this school should be pretty strong. Especially considering how many they rejected pre II

just a heads up to all accepted, the Facebook group is: facebook.com/groups/738758156500407

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the process is for getting in off the waitlist? Do they just send an email to notify you or is it in the portal? Also, does anyone know when that might start happening?

Yeah I’d also love to hear if there are current students who got in off of the waitlist and when that happened. It’s my top choice and I’m going to send a LOI soon but damn, it would suck having to move to Pitt with little warning in like June or July....

I too would like to hear more about getting off the waitlist!

Does anyone know what the process is for getting in off the waitlist? Do they just send an email to notify you or is it in the portal? Also, does anyone know when that might start happening?

Last year people started getting off the waitlists in March. I would give them a call to find out the specifics.

Reactions: 1 users
Was waitlisted to Pitt but I received a PSTP interview invite this week! (just in case anyone else was waitlisted but also applied to PSTP)

Re: waitlist movement, they said we'd find out whether or not we got into the PSTP by Feb 28th. So I'm assuming that there must be some waitlist movement around this time as well (bc I'm assuming you can't get into PSTP without getting into the general med school...)

Last edited:
So I, like many others, have been put on the waitlist at Pitt. I’ve read some people talking about sending a letter when you are on the waitlist. Is this something people do? Is it recommended?

So I, like many others, have been put on the waitlist at Pitt. I’ve read some people talking about sending a letter when you are on the waitlist. Is this something people do? Is it recommended?
If pitt is your top choice you can send them a letter of intent saying you will matriculate if accepted

Current MS2, friends of mine got off the WL so I can offer some common-sense wisdom.

E-mail and portal.

Yeah I’d also love to hear if there are current students who got in off of the waitlist and when that happened. It’s my top choice and I’m going to send a LOI soon but damn, it would suck having to move to Pitt with little warning in like June or July....

Most WL movement occurs in March. Apparently last year, 2017-2018 had minimal WL movement. Look at the 2016-2017 Pitt med thread, people have mapped out "Wl movement days."

I too would like to hear more about getting off the waitlist!

Letters of intent to carry weight, however, ymmv.

Back to step1 studying for me! wish yinz good luck getting accepted!

Reactions: 2 users
can someone post how many people are in the facebook group for the accepted students? thank you!

can someone post how many people are in the facebook group for the accepted students? thank you!

Sure. 44 people right now, 8 of which are current Pitt med students/administration.

Did anyone receive an acceptance packet in the mail? I just got the email.

I think around two weeks ago? Not 100% on that though, sorry.
Thanks for the info. I called the school, and they are sending me a new one. It must have got lost in the mail.

Does anyone know when those of us who are applying for financial aid should expect to hear back/receive an offer?

Does anyone know when those of us who are applying for financial aid should expect to hear back/receive an offer?

Just got an email reply from the financial aid office this morning. "Award letters will be sent around the first week of April."

How long did it take to get a reply after submitting your stuff?
I submitted all my documents and forms a week ago and never got a confirmation. I’m wondering if I should call since it’s due on the first and I don’t want to miss the deadline.

I'm thinking the same thing. I submitted mine last week and haven't gotten a response. I'll probably call today.

I was thinking about contacting them as well. Did you call, and if so, what did they say?

I called today, they said that all of my materials were complete and that they will be contacting us this week if we are missing anything :)

I mailed my information in and requested they send me a confirmation of receipt to my email. They confirmed they had everything today.

I called and they told me that if I was waitlisted that I should wait until I get the acceptance to send the financial aid material... hope this helps!

Btw, has anyone received information from admissions about setting up a Pitt Passport (my.pitt.edu) account? An email from financial aid asked me to navigate there using login instructions from the admissions office, but I checked my emails and acceptance packet and couldn't find anything. I emailed them back asking for assistance, but just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone knows.

Still in waitlist purgatory. I feel like I should have sent some kind of letter of intent or update but I wanted to wait until I had finished all of my interviews and heard back from most other schools. I guess it's not too late but I'm definitely bummed I didn't hear any news today.

Already??? Omg, I literally just submitted my LOI. Trying not freak out; hopefully I’ll catch the next waitlist meeting. Does anyone know when they meet to discuss waitlist anyway? Is it going to be like a once a week thing?

I just got in woooo :))))) saw email from this morning. I am so happy I am crying. I had sent a LOI right after my waitlist btw

Reactions: 6 users
Hey so I got this email as well. I called the office and it turned out that message (in my case) was sent from Pitt Undergrad and not from the med school, so they told me to just disregard it. They said they had everything they needed from me for Pitt Med. I would recommend you call as well!

Oh, great, thanks for the info!

Already??? Omg, I literally just submitted my LOI. Trying not freak out; hopefully I’ll catch the next waitlist meeting. Does anyone know when they meet to discuss waitlist anyway? Is it going to be like a once a week thing?
I think it might be a once a month thing, because it is a relatively large group that has to meet (but also this is pure conjecture)