2018-2019 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got off the waitlist!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Still in waitlist purgatory. I feel like I should have sent some kind of letter of intent or update but I wanted to wait until I had finished all of my interviews and heard back from most other schools. I guess it's not too late but I'm definitely bummed I didn't hear any news today.
Same here..had been going back and forth about sending one since I got the WL but I figure I’d wait to hear back from the other ivies since I didn’t think WL movement happened until at least April.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it might be a once a month thing, because it is a relatively large group that has to meet (but also this is pure conjecture)
So, in theory, they should be meeting again sometime this month?

Withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 5 users
@docr3 and @yinzburgh I wanted to ask "yinz" a little bit about Pitt Med, if you don't mind!

1) First, the obligatory "Why Pitt Med?" But seriously, what made you decide to go to Pitt, especially if you were choosing between a few schools?
2) Do you enjoy the PBL and small group sessions? Do you think they are worth your time? I've heard mixed reviews on PBL in general, but I kind of liked the taste we got on interview day.
3) Do you and your classmates study together and hangout outside of class?
4) What are your favorite things to do around Pittsburgh? Hidden gems?
5) What's one thing you don't like about the school?
6) Are you part of any organizations, clubs, team sports, interest groups, etc.? Do you think Pitt has something for everyone, and is there time to maintain interests outside of/complementary to medicine?
7) Where do most medical students live? Was it easy for you to find affordable housing? How do you get to school (walk, bike, bus, drive)? How did you find roommates?
8) Thoughts on the Longitudinal Research Project?

I really appreciate any input yinz can give! Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 6 users
@docr3 and @yinzburgh I wanted to ask "yinz" a little bit about Pitt Med, if you don't mind!

1) First, the obligatory "Why Pitt Med?" But seriously, what made you decide to go to Pitt, especially if you were choosing between a few schools?
2) Do you enjoy the PBL and small group sessions? Do you think they are worth your time? I've heard mixed reviews on PBL in general, but I kind of liked the taste we got on interview day.
3) Do you and your classmates study together and hangout outside of class?
4) What are your favorite things to do around Pittsburgh? Hidden gems?
5) What's one thing you don't like about the school?
6) Are you part of any organizations, clubs, team sports, interest groups, etc.? Do you think Pitt has something for everyone, and is there time to maintain interests outside of/complementary to medicine?
7) Where do most medical students live? Was it easy for you to find affordable housing? How do you get to school (walk, bike, bus, drive)? How did you find roommates?
8) Thoughts on the Longitudinal Research Project?

I really appreciate any input yinz can give! Thanks in advance!

1) for me choosing Pitt came down to feel, it was the place I got the best vibes from and everyone around here seemed genuine and seemed invested in us, and its held true. I had other options closer to home but I went with my gut and I dont regret it.
2) I love the PBL sessions I learn a lot from my classmates, a lot of it is clinical application and case based and its only like 4 hrs a week doesn't take up too much time, some people don't like it but most people do.
3) a lot of my classmates are close and get together and do a lot of things together everyone is super chill
4) best thing for me here is sports all year round whether its hockey football or baseball, a lot of restaurants bars and also museums, something for everybody in this city I love it here.
5) something I don't like Is that you need to do outside material to be adequately prepared come board time because class material won't cut it. Probably like that anywhere though
6) Pitt the school and the city has something for everyone don't worry about that, we have intramural teams for football/soccer plus so many interest groups and clubs you'll find something you enjoy.
7) most med students live within 15 of the school, its very affordable in this city. a lot of people stay at darragh. you can find room mates on the second look page and you'll become tight with people at second look
8) I like the LRP, its not too much of a burden and it kind of helps you do research that'll make you more competitive. I assure you there is no shortage of research mentors over here in any field with any type of research you would be interested in, thats our huge strength.

Reactions: 3 users
How does Antonio Brown leaving affect my chances of getting off the wait list

Reactions: 1 users
AB gone, Leveon about to leave, Big ben about to retire, everyone with an acceptance might as well withdraw now and go somewhere like Boston

On the bright side they just released 2020 USNWR rankings and Pitt is now 13... tied with Duke and Yale. WOW!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) for me choosing Pitt came down to feel, it was the place I got the best vibes from and everyone around here seemed genuine and seemed invested in us, and its held true. I had other options closer to home but I went with my gut and I dont regret it.
2) I love the PBL sessions I learn a lot from my classmates, a lot of it is clinical application and case based and its only like 4 hrs a week doesn't take up too much time, some people don't like it but most people do.
3) a lot of my classmates are close and get together and do a lot of things together everyone is super chill
4) best thing for me here is sports all year round whether its hockey football or baseball, a lot of restaurants bars and also museums, something for everybody in this city I love it here.
5) something I don't like Is that you need to do outside material to be adequately prepared come board time because class material won't cut it. Probably like that anywhere though
6) Pitt the school and the city has something for everyone don't worry about that, we have intramural teams for football/soccer plus so many interest groups and clubs you'll find something you enjoy.
7) most med students live within 15 of the school, its very affordable in this city. a lot of people stay at darragh. you can find room mates on the second look page and you'll become tight with people at second look
8) I like the LRP, its not too much of a burden and it kind of helps you do research that'll make you more competitive. I assure you there is no shortage of research mentors over here in any field with any type of research you would be interested in, thats our huge strength.

Thanks so much for your in-depth reply! I appreciate you taking the time to help us out here.

On the bright side they just released 2020 USNWR rankings and Pitt is now 13... tied with Duke and Yale. WOW!

Lol thank you for this made my day. Now I can stick it to those pretentious Yale-ies questioning my choosing Pitt.

Reactions: 1 user
General Q: What are you guys' thoughts on the Physician Scientist Training Program (PSTP)??
I originally wanted to apply, and was super interested but then realized they don't award an extra degree, like an MA, for it and thought maybe it wasn't worth it?

Hello premed peeps! Just popping in from the pre dental forum to ask about Darragh Street Apartments! Anyone have any floor plans, a single picture of the inside, anything?! I’ll be happy with a picture of the floor at this point ! There’s nothing to be found online and it seems you guys get a little more info on it than we do!

Btw, congratulations you future physicians!!!!!!

To current med students:

Where do people usually study? Is there like a library near the school for graduate students (med/dental/nursing..etc)? Is it open 24 hours?
Thanks a lot.

To current med students:

Where do people usually study? Is there like a library near the school for graduate students (med/dental/nursing..etc)? Is it open 24 hours?
Thanks a lot.
Depends on study preferences. I usually study at home or coffee shops but there is also the library and small group rooms available. Falk library is on the bottom floor of Scaife Hall and is open 7am to midnight on weekdays (shorter hours during the weekends). It's for the health science students but you get the undergrads in there sometimes as well. The small group rooms are basically open 24 hours unless there is something scheduled in there during the day.

General Q: What are you guys' thoughts on the Physician Scientist Training Program (PSTP)??

I'll be matriculating this summer to the PSTP, and I'm very excited about it! This program provides partial tuition scholarship and special financial/institutional resources for students who want to do basic or translational research. I debated between this program and other MD - PhD programs I was accepted to, but ultimately I decided I didn't want to spend 8 years in school and deal with taking grad classes and meeting a bunch of grad program requirements, I just wanted to focus on doing research and learning research methods. Pitt is very very strong in research so you can't go wrong. I also really like the community of people I met during my PSTP interview!

Quick question for y'all. Pittsburgh is my absolute dream school and I loved my interview there, but I am still on the waitlist. However, my faculty interview ended up being really weird. I showed up five minutes early to the interview and was reprimanded and then this individual only interviewed me for about 20 minutes. I am in the process of writing a LOI and am unsure if I should try to address this or not. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and good luck to everyone else still on the waitlist.

Also wondering this! When should we start looking, especially if we want to live in Darragh?
A lot of affordable options in the towns around Oakland like shady side and squirrel hill that people live in. If something mandatory is going on, you’ll have to take the bus. Darragh is a little more expensive but convenient for the location. If you want to live in Darragh, wait until after second look if you haven’t seen yet. Or else get on the waitlist ASAP by calling office of off campus living

Received my financial aid package and withdrawing today. Hope someone else deserving gets accepted!

Received my financial aid offer, and it appears I didn’t get any aid..

Just received an acceptance via email! Like five mins ago...

Actually received an email congratulating me and inviting me to apply to PSTP first, which I incidentally was already rejected from back in January....

Then the actual acceptance email from the SOM came a few minutes later. Was definitely a *wait, what?* kind of moment, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just got accepted after being waitlisted in January! Oh my gosh I'm so excited I can hardly speak! Pitt was my #1 choice :)

I sent a letter of interest/ update letter before decisions came out in January but haven't sent anything since being waitlisted. Can't believe I got in!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats!!! Crossing my fingers there's some more spots left for those of us still on the waitlist....

Can anyone who has MSAR post how many acceptances are given off the waitlist? My MSAR account expired a few months ago...

Is there somewhere we are supposed to like officially accept the acceptance in the portal?

Is there somewhere we are supposed to like officially accept the acceptance in the portal?

Yeah, I have the same question. I also have a distinct feeling that someone else asked this question earlier in this thread?

But I couldn't find it when I searched just now. I just read the stuff under "Admissions data forms" and checked the boxes. Not sure if there's anything else until later in the season...

Accepted off the waitlist as well. I am completely in shock! I am amazed I have made it this far from where I started, and have nothing but warm wishes for anyone else still on the waitlist at Pitt now or any other future applicants. I hope to meet many of you in Pittsburgh this fall!

Yeah, I have the same question. I also have a distinct feeling that someone else asked this question earlier in this thread?

But I couldn't find it when I searched just now. I just read the stuff under "Admissions data forms" and checked the boxes. Not sure if there's anything else until later in the season...
Judging by what I read in the email, I think reading and answering those 4 forms on the acceptance portal is good for now. Stay in touch with your email for background check information next.

Still so excited to be accepted off the waitlist but all this talk about people not getting any aid is making me nervous... I loved Pitt and it is definitely my first choice by a long shot, but if they expect me to take out 85k in loans when I have other schools offering me half and full tuition need-based grants, I'm going to have to reconsider....

Last edited:
Congrats!!! Crossing my fingers there's some more spots left for those of us still on the waitlist....

Can anyone who has MSAR post how many acceptances are given off the waitlist? My MSAR account expired a few months ago...

65!

If it's need-based grant aid you're hoping for, don't fret. I received a VERY generous amount of need-based aid, far greater than the half need-based grant I was offered at another school.
I second this. If you have financial need, Pitt will take care of you

Reactions: 2 users
Got my acceptance email yesterday as well!