2018-2019 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got that R this morning :unsure:

Actually a rather empathetic letter though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected today while at my first interview lol. Was really excited for this one mainly because of what I heard from friends that attend so oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today as well, LM > 80, bunch of other Top 10/20 interviews. Such is the process, good luck to everyone else here!

Reactions: 3 users
If last year's trend holds up, the next R train is coming to town the first week of October. Mark your calendars, folks!

Pitt popped my rejection cherry this cycle. Oh well, C'est la vie!

Reactions: 3 users
can somebody please tell me where I should check for the status ?

can somebody please tell me where I should check for the status ?
same portal you used for secondary under the "Application Status" tab. You should also have an email if they contacted you; I found mine in my "promotions" folder...thanks Google?

Reactions: 1 users
same portal you used for secondary under the "Application Status" tab. You should also have an email if they contacted you; I found mine in my "promotions" folder...thanks Google?
Thanks I just did- it still says
Your MD application was submitted and is complete. Fingers crossed

How fitting that Pitt becomes my first rejection of the cycle best of luck to everyone!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

just got rejected a couple days ago. LM 76. No offense but I'm so relieved to see a lot of highly qualified applicants getting rejected. I was pretty bummed about it at first.

BTW: White Male, Disadvantaged applicant from small liberal arts college with 522, 3.95 and >10K hours of clinical experience, full time job in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is this school handing out the R for so many well qualified applicants though ?

Why is this school handing out the R for so many well qualified applicants though ?
Probably 25% of the candidates are extremely qualified to attend, but there's only space for a small portion of those.

just got rejected a couple days ago. LM 76. No offense but I'm so relieved to see a lot of highly qualified applicants getting rejected. I was pretty bummed about it at first.

BTW: White Male, Disadvantaged applicant from small liberal arts college with 522, 3.95 and >10K hours of clinical experience, full time job in college.
Was rejected as well. Very similar background to you albeit with an LM of 73.

Thought Pitt was a good fit too and have heard nothing but good things about it.

Last edited:
First post-secondary R :( The trickle before the dam breaks. Best of luck to y'all still in the running!

Congrats on the interview! I have mine this week. Any tips??
Honestly just enjoy it and have a ton of questions for students! Like any school, know why you’d be a great fit. I had a really great experience overall. They are very organized and definitely try to make the day as stress free as possible. A bunch of students came to eat lunch with us and mingle and all of them seemed very happy at Pitt. Both my faculty and student interviews were very relaxed. Good luck!

Sorry to hear. Complete date?
7/18. Hopefully this doesn't forebode the things to come; most other schools I applied to were complete around/after that, but besides Pitt, it's been radio silence.

Is there a thread for it? Sorry if that's a dumb question
Look at this one lol. I figured I got the axe when they started interviewing mid August completes and saw no new July ones

Some schools go chronologically and many don’t, but I think another thing to consider is that schools may also hold on to apps before delivering a decision (ii or R) until later in the cycle when they are able to put that application in the context of their larger applicant pool! Some schools explicitly put apps on hold and will tell you (like mayo), but from what I can tell being “on hold” at most schools means you get silence and anxiety for a couple months until they figure out what they want to do with you
I feel like I'm on hold everywhere. Rip

Some schools go chronologically and many don’t, but I think another thing to consider is that schools may also hold on to apps before delivering a decision (ii or R) until later in the cycle when they are able to put that application in the context of their larger applicant pool! Some schools explicitly put apps on hold and will tell you (like mayo), but from what I can tell being “on hold” at most schools means you get silence and anxiety for a couple months until they figure out what they want to do with you
Yeah, that's fair lol. It doesn't inspire confidence tho for those in silence when the past Pitt thread had reject waves every month

I’m still sitting in complete silence from like >80% of the schools I’ve applied to and I’ve been neurotically watching people who submitted after me get IIs so I’m trying to convince myself too that silence is better than nothing haha
Check your email twice a day, once at noon EST and once at 6 EST
CHeck the school specific forums once per day
Minimize neuroticism

I'm just chillin tho, which is why I'm here

Boy do I wish I could follow this advice! This is almost worse than my prereq, MCAT study days. At least back then I was learning something as opposed to hitting the refresh button with crickets for consecutive weeks!

BTW although it's great advice I would advise more frequent email checks during weekday work hours. When the occasional II does roll in you want to be ready to pounce on your preferred date!

Boy do I wish I could follow this advice! This is almost worse than my prereq, MCAT study days. At least back then I was learning something as opposed to hitting the refresh button with crickets for consecutive weeks!

BTW although it's great advice I would advise more frequent email checks during weekday work hours. When the occasional II does roll in you want to be ready to pounce on your preferred date!
The rationalizing is real

Rejected today while at my first interview lol. Was really excited for this one mainly because of what I heard from friends that attend so oh well.
LOL! I was rejected yesterday while at an interview as well :laugh: Oh well haha at least it's good to see that some other II's went out to deserving candidates

Sorry to hear the massive wave of Rs. Did anyone receive a R who is completed early-mid August?

Based on the above posts about Pitt reviews apps chronologically, I feel like most applicants who submitted July has heard back from them.

Sorry to hear the massive wave of Rs. Did anyone receive a R who is completed early-mid August?

Based on the above posts about Pitt reviews apps chronologically, I feel like most applicants who submitted July has heard back from them.
Silence here. Submitted 20 July

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Silence here as well. Submitted 7/30. Complete 8/6 (?)

If you look back in the thread there were quite of few people complete in August who received Rs. I was one of them.

Silence for me as well. Completed 7/13. I really want them to give me some news (good or bad).

Was rejected as well. Very similar background to you albeit with an LM of 73.

Thought Pitt was a good fit too and have heard nothing but good things about it.
It's very nerve-wracking, because I don't have any other interview invites and I see other people getting them. It just makes me wonder why they rejected me, you know? My research experience is ok but not great, so maybe that's it. I just keep thinking "well they didn't reject me based on grades or mcat, so there must have been a red flag in my primary/secondary/LOR." And then I think "well that means every school saw that red flag too," then I think "oh God."

It's very nerve-wracking, because I don't have any other interview invites and I see other people getting them. It just makes me wonder why they rejected me, you know? My research experience is ok but not great, so maybe that's it. I just keep thinking "well they didn't reject me based on grades or mcat, so there must have been a red flag in my primary/secondary/LOR." And then I think "well that means every school saw that red flag too," then I think "oh God."
This was a major reject wave lol. Many qualified applicants went down, and they did so with valor.

You're disadvantaged and you have killer stats. My MCAT's only in the mid-high teens, and I wish I had a 522!!

Give it a couple months time dude.

This was a major reject wave lol. Many qualified applicants went down, and they did so with valor.

You're disadvantaged and you have killer stats. My MCAT's only in the mid-high teens, and I wish I had a 522!!

Give it a couple months time dude.
Thanks, I appreciate it. At this point I honestly don't even care where I go lol, I just want to stop thinking about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, I appreciate it. At this point I honestly don't even care where I go lol, I just want to stop thinking about it.
dude i know how you feel. nontrad, lots of research, pub, lots of volunteering, similar stats, and "adversity" story. rejected right off the bat by mayo and uchicago lol. no invites from any other school. our time will come.

I spent weeks stressing about a red flag in my app too. But from what i'v seen, a lot of schools seem to invite URM and super high stats first, and then go from there.

also this has to be one of the only places where being disadvantaged is seen as a good thing. I totally get the context but seems so strange to read without context.

Still really baffled that I received an II here based on the recent R wave...

On another note, anyone reach out to the student hosts and receive a response? Contacted two MS1s so far in the last couple weeks with no response (just emailed two more).

Still really baffled that I received an II here based on the recent R wave...

On another note, anyone reach out to the student hosts and receive a response? Contacted two MS1s so far in the last couple weeks with no response (just emailed two more).
Congrats when was your complete date?

I stayed with a student host there a few weeks ago.

They rejected me on the portal, no idea when was updated, never received an email. Check your portal guys

They rejected me on the portal, no idea when was updated, never received an email. Check your portal guys
sorry :(
If you don't mind, can you share where did you see the rejection? under application status? when did you check portal last time? do you think the update came today?