2018-2019 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry :(
If you don't mind, can you share where did you see the rejection? under application status? when did you check portal last time? do you think the update came today?

On the portal
Yes under the status
last checked early August
No idea

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, I appreciate it. At this point I honestly don't even care where I go lol, I just want to stop thinking about it.

I think you got yield protected because you are on track to a top 5. No joke, that's my true gut feeling

Reactions: 1 user
I think you got yield protected because you are on track to a top 5. No joke, that's my true gut feeling
I mean basically everyone else with his stats is gonna be a pampered doctor kid, so yeah he'll stand out lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if this has been mentioned here already, but on my recent interview here they mentioned how they were only going to give 600 interview invites out this cycle as opposed to 750 the previous cycle. Just something to know.

Reactions: 2 users
For the folks worried about qualified applicants being turned away, please consider some info given to me by a former UPSOM AdCom; Pitt tends to be a popular "safety" school choice for a lot of the Harvard/Hopkins/NYU crowd. They sometimes avoid giving interviews to these people because they don't want to clog up spaces with students they know will get accepted (and ultimately go) somewhere else.

Reactions: 5 users
For the folks worried about qualified applicants being turned away, please consider some info given to me by a former UPSOM AdCom; Pitt tends to be a popular "safety" school choice for a lot of the Harvard/Hopkins/NYU crowd. They sometimes avoid giving interviews to these people because they don't want to clog up spaces with students they know will get accepted (and ultimately go) somewhere else.

TIL that Pittsburgh has more faith in me than myself or my family

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know if this has been mentioned here already, but on my recent interview here they mentioned how they were only going to give 600 interview invites out this cycle as opposed to 750 the previous cycle. Just something to know.
Did they say anything about reducing number accepted?

Did they say anything about reducing number accepted?
I think they might reduce very slightly because at my interview they said the previous class had more people accept the admissions offer than they were expecting, resulting in a larger class than they wanted and they basically said that can't happen again.

Anyone else complete early-mid july and still have silence? Idk if this is a good thing or a bad thing o_O

II Today! 9/09 completion. LM = 74

II today as well. All of November & December open.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dilemma: I sent a post-interview update to Pitt recently detailing new things I'm doing that weren't already in my application - it ended up being about a page long letter. Now, I'm realized that I didn't include my new job as a clinical research coordinator in that update because I thought that it was already in my secondary application (I sent Pitt secondary in really early, pre-job evidently). So, I want to send them another update because this is important to have on file, but will it be obnoxious to send 2 so close together...?

If you are not comfortable sending two updates close together, I do not see how sending a new update at a later date (week or two or whenever you feel comfortable) would hurt you. Pitt has a single release date for acceptances in January, so as long as you have everything submitted a few weeks before then, you should be okay. That's also why there is no benefit to interviewing in September as opposed to December for instance. But, to answer your question, I personally do not think it is obnoxious to send updates close together. I am not an adcom member though, so it's up to you.

That is not true at all. Although schools release decisions in January. Admissions committee meet at least monthly to discuss candidates that have interviewed that month. Most acceptances (behind closed doors) occur earlier in the cycle and most waitlists occur during the later interviews. Although all decisions happen in January, the schools knows who they want to accept reject or waitlists the month that you interviewed. They just won’t tell you to avoid annoyance and OCD premeds.

Dang I didn't realize how good of a program this was when I applied lol... submitted on 08/28. Radio silence since then.

If you are not comfortable sending two updates close together, I do not see how sending a new update at a later date (week or two or whenever you feel comfortable) would hurt you. Pitt has a single release date for acceptances in January, so as long as you have everything submitted a few weeks before then, you should be okay. That's also why there is no benefit to interviewing in September as opposed to December for instance. But, to answer your question, I personally do not think it is obnoxious to send updates close together. I am not an adcom member though, so it's up to you.

Ok, thank you! I'll send it at the end of this week or in a few days probably. I want them on my file asap since it is a new month and they could be reviewing apps any moment.

That is not true at all. Although schools release decisions in January. Admissions committee meet at least monthly to discuss candidates that have interviewed that month. Most acceptances (behind closed doors) occur earlier in the cycle and most waitlists occur during the later interviews. Although all decisions happen in January, the schools knows who they want to accept reject or waitlists the month that you interviewed. They just won’t tell you to avoid annoyance and OCD premeds.
Yup, when I interviewed they said they make decisions on a rolling basis and just don’t release until January.

How are you guys finding out about the rejections? Email or portal? I was complete 8/3 but haven't heard anything back.

Took the R, complete 8/6. Does this mean that other schools will hopefully be reviewing my august completed apps now?

First R this cycle. This school is awesome, for everyone else still in the running, may the odds be ever in your favor.

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected but no email. Had to find out about it through the portal.

anyone complete early July still waiting to hear back?

so much silence from so many schools :(

Reactions: 1 users
rejected, complete 08/16. Email was in the gmail "promotions" tab

Finally REJECTED!
I've been waiting for this one forever! Complete 08/23. I got an email and my portal was updated too.

non-Canadian International, non-traditional and applying MD for this one!

Finally REJECTED!
I've been waiting for this one forever! Complete 08/23. I got an email and my portal was updated too.

non-Canadian International, non-traditional and applying MD for this one!
Sorry about that ! Would you mind sharing our stats?

Added this school late to diversify my list geographically... which they saw right through and sent me my first R yesterday :laugh: Congrats to everyone still in the mix, don't give up hope! Complete 8/27 LM 75

Anyone complete mid-July still not hear anything back yet? OOS LM ~75 here.

For people who interviewed already and attended the optional PSTP info session, by what time were you completely done for the day and ready to hit the road to the airport?

For people who interviewed already and attended the optional PSTP info session, by what time were you completely done for the day and ready to hit the road to the airport?
Around 3:15. It took just under an hour to get the airport. Also, the security line was pretty long.

Edit: 4:15pm EDT

Last edited:
Around 3:15. It took just under an hour to get the airport. Also, the security line was pretty long.
Oh nice, sounds like they were ahead of schedule if you finished with info session at 3:15. Thanks for the info!

also holy hell 21 IIs?? Congrats that's amazing

Is anyone applying to the PSTP or are there any current students here who are in this program? I'm a bit confused by the application process; I have my interview next week, but I haven't submitted my PSTP app yet. It seems like a hassle to potentially travel back to Pittsburgh for a PSTP interview later on, but I guess I can't complain since it says the PSTP interview is at their expense.

I'm also a bit confused by the additional recommendations required for the PSTP app. I already submitted 3 research recommendations with my AMCAS, and I feel bad asking two of these PIs to write additional letters specifically for this program.