2018-2019 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh nice, sounds like they were ahead of schedule if you finished with info session at 3:15. Thanks for the info!
Sorry! It was 4:15pm. My phone changed the timestamp on a message I sent when I was done...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recent IIs? ..................Its crazy how the # of Rejection posts in this thread is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than II posts.:eyebrow:
More people get rejected than get IIs so I think this makes sense actually

Reactions: 4 users
Did any MD applicants complete in the first week of September get a R yet ?

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all, just finished interview day. Here's a breakdown of what it's like:
There were only 12 total applicants in attendance, so a small group. The first stop is admissions, which is on the 5th floor of Scaife hall, next to the coffee shop.
The admissions office becomes sort of a base of operations for the day. You show up, they take your picture, and there is a continental style breakfast laid out. Everyone just kind of hangs out for 30 minutes until the day officially starts. You are handed a folder with some info, your schedule, and a pen.
The dean of admissions gives a quick talk, and introduces the MS3/4s that give the tour. You split up into four groups (3 people each) and do the tour. It is a good amount of walking, but not nearly as bad as it is made out to be. The campus is spread out quite a bit. I didn't wear comfortable shoes, and it wasn't a problem. I would certainly not wear heels if I was a woman (or would bring something to change into). You can always leave bags in the admissions office area, so having a small bag is completely feasible. I brought a binder notebook, but didn't really need it.
After the tour, everyone meets back in the room where you will have lunch. The director of admissions gives a talk, mostly centered on the process and some financial things. When that is done, students come in and everyone has lunch together. Great time to ask questions. The atmosphere is very laid back, the students are in t-shirts and casual attire.
After lunch, everyone heads back to the admissions office. The student interviewers show up and grab you - they find out your name just a few minutes before. The interview goes for 30-40 minutes, extremely comfortable.
After that, you return to admissions, are split into groups of four, and do a group exercise. It's a small problem solving thing where you get a scenario and talk through it together.
The faculty interviews are next. Some people walk to their locations (your tour guide will point out the buildings during the tour if you have questions) and some people are interviewed at Scaife. They'll make sure you get where you need, no need to worry.
The next portion is an introduction to problem based learning (PBL). You split in two groups, and run through a scenario- there's no actual medical knowledge required, it's more of an intro to how they learn at the school.
The last things are a brief talk on the financials, followed by a closeout by one of the faculty. There is an optional brief on the PSTP.

Reply with questions if you have any, I'll do my best to answer.

Reactions: 4 users
Submitted July 25th and Silence......but also silence from most places sooo.....yaaa

There were only 12 total applicants in attendance, so a small group. The first stop is admissions, which is on the 5th floor of Scaife hall, next to the coffee shop.
The admissions office becomes sort of a base of operations for the day. You show up, they take your picture, and there is a continental style breakfast laid out. Everyone just kind of hangs out for 30 minutes until the day officially starts. You are handed a folder with some info, your schedule, and a pen.
The dean of admissions gives a quick talk, and introduces the MS3/4s that give the tour. You split up into four groups (3 people each) and do the tour. It is a good amount of walking, but not nearly as bad as it is made out to be. The campus is spread out quite a bit. I didn't wear comfortable shoes, and it wasn't a problem. I would certainly not wear heels if I was a woman (or would bring something to change into). You can always leave bags in the admissions office area, so having a small bag is completely feasible. I brought a binder notebook, but didn't really need it.
After the tour, everyone meets back in the room where you will have lunch. The director of admissions gives a talk, mostly centered on the process and some financial things. When that is done, students come in and everyone has lunch together. Great time to ask questions. The atmosphere is very laid back, the students are in t-shirts and casual attire.
After lunch, everyone heads back to the admissions office. The student interviewers show up and grab you - they find out your name just a few minutes before. The interview goes for 30-40 minutes, extremely comfortable.
After that, you return to admissions, are split into groups of four, and do a group exercise. It's a small problem solving thing where you get a scenario and talk through it together.
The faculty interviews are next. Some people walk to their locations (your tour guide will point out the buildings during the tour if you have questions) and some people are interviewed at Scaife. They'll make sure you get where you need, no need to worry.
The next portion is an introduction to problem based learning (PBL). You split in two groups, and run through a scenario- there's no actual medical knowledge required, it's more of an intro to how they learn at the school.
The last things are a brief talk on the financials, followed by a closeout by one of the faculty. There is an optional brief on the PSTP.

did you do the optional brief on the PSTP thing? Did they provide any relevant info that's not easily findable on the website that you can share?

Hope you enjoyed your interview day at Pitt! If you have any questions regarding Pitt Med from the perspective of a veteran/non-traditional, feel free to PM me (this goes to any other veterans interviewing here as well).

Good luck!

did you do the optional brief on the PSTP thing? Did they provide any relevant info that's not easily findable on the website that you can share?
I didn't go to the PSTP brief, so I can't offer any points. Sorry.

If I interviewed in mid-September, when would be a good time to send an update letter?

If I interviewed in mid-September, when would be a good time to send an update letter?
If you have a meaningful thing to update them about then probably as soon as possible! If you send them an update after they've made a decision on your app (even if it's before you get notified of this decision), it won't do you much good

Reactions: 1 user
Wonder when the next R train will be coming to get us ......

Members don't see this ad :)

How do the group sessions work? Is it evaluated?

How do the group sessions work? Is it evaluated?
The first group session, where you are in a group of four, is definitely graded. It really isn't a difficult or complicated problem. I would say the key is communication, evaluating all the different ways to look at it, and giving everyone a chance to speak. That said, I haven't been accepted yet, so take any advice I give with a grain of salt.

I was a little unclear if the second session, the PBL in a group of 6, was graded. The faculty member had a face chart for us, but he never really looked at it. If it was graded, I don't think it would hold the same weight as interviews.

I can't stress enough how relaxed these events are. I was concerned about them as well, but there was no reason to be.

Reactions: 1 users
Just received the R. I happened to check the portal. Received an email 3 seconds later.

Rejected too! Complete 8/1, First rejection of the cycle for me, LM 71-72.

its been fun. big fat R first thing in the week. LM 70 In state

Rejection just now! Was in my promotions tab lolol. Honestly was expecting it, as this was a bit of a reach school for me. Good luck everyone else!

For those who interviewed already, is it expected to keep communication with them since decisions won’t be released til Jan? I wouldn’t have any significant updates to add so wondering if most people just are silent until decision day

For those who interviewed already, is it expected to keep communication with them since decisions won’t be released til Jan? I wouldn’t have any significant updates to add so wondering if most people just are silent until decision day
Is there any kind of pre-interview welcome reception thing the day before interviews?

If you have a meaningful thing to update them about then probably as soon as possible! If you send them an update after they've made a decision on your app (even if it's before you get notified of this decision), it won't do you much good
Did you send them an update via email, or did you find somewhere on the portal to upload?

Did you send them an update via email, or did you find somewhere on the portal to upload?
I haven’t sent Pitt an update but I just checked out the FAQ section in the portal and it says to email admissions with any updates and they’ll add it to your file

Any Rs or II this week? :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 users
Just got Rejected here. The rejection letter was short and sweet lol so I appreciate that. Goodluck to the rest of you still in the running.

Submitted 9/12

R this morning. Complete mid-September.

Good luck to everyone still standing!