2018-2019 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

a. Please choose the single answer that best describes your career goals:
    Private Practice
    Academic Medicine
    Public Health
    Health Care Administration
    Health Policy
    Other

b. Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in question 4a.
    (2000 Characters)

2. (Optional) The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation.
    Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question. (Scholarly Concentrations Program | USF Health)

a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals? (2000 characters)

3. The University of South Florida, College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine?
    (2000 characters)

4. Describe your ideas about how the medical profession can best respond to disparities in healthcare (2000 characters)
  5. If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B" (including B-) or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts). (2000 characters)
There are also various questions about participating in SMPs or Post Baccs, crimes, and IAs that you have to answer if applicable. All 2000 characters

Interview Feedback: University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Verified 6/29, Secondary Received 7/2 @gyngyn

1. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

a. Please choose the single answer that best describes your career goals:
    Private Practice
    Academic Medicine
    Public Health
    Health Care Administration
    Health Policy
    Other

b. Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in question 4a.
    (2000 Characters)

2. (Optional) The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation.
    Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question. (Scholarly Concentrations Program | USF Health)

a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals? (2000 characters)

3. The University of South Florida, College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine?
    (2000 characters)

4. Describe your ideas about how the medical profession can best respond to disparities in healthcare (2000 characters)
  5. If you have experienced academic difficulties, please explain the situation and how it was resolved. (Please explain all grades less than a "B" (including B-) or any "withdrawal" on your transcripts). (2000 characters)
There are also various questions about participating in SMPs or Post Baccs, crimes, and IAs that you have to answer if applicable. All 2000 characters

Reactions: 1 user
What do you guys think of the CORE vs SELECT programs? Any current USF students out there?

Secondary received!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if the school’s move to downtown Tampa will be done before the next entering class would start M1?

Does anyone know if the school’s move to downtown Tampa will be done before the next entering class would start M1?

I live in Tampa and I sometimes drive by it. It’s not done just yet idt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to their website it should be done late 2019. It would make sense that the incoming class would start there but who knows.

Hey guys, I interviewed for SELECT last year and ultimately got waitlisted. I loved this school and specifically SELECT which is why I am reapplying. Fun story, they ask if you've applied, interviewed, and got waitlisted on the secondary, so hopefully that doesn't hurt me too badly.

Anyway I can provide some basic answers. I interviewed at Allentown, and LVHN is a great system. Really well known for lean healthcare. In other words, they try to streamline processes so that it is delivered really well. All the students I met were nice, and said that Step 1 prep was really good. The support systems from administrators was strong. In general, though, SELECT is good at addressing systems-level issues and creating compassionate physicians.

Reactions: 3 users
Why is SELECT over CORE more OOS favorable? As an OOS applicant, I guess it would be in my best interest to be open to both right?

Also, is it possible to get IS tuition after the first year?

Why is SELECT over CORE more OOS favorable? As an OOS applicant, I guess it would be in my best interest to be open to both right?

Also, is it possible to get IS tuition after the first year?

I remember hearing that SELECT is more OOS friendly. My best guess is that USF is a public university, but SELECT is a partnership between LVHN and USF and I presume gets funded differently. Or perhaps they just look at a broader set of applicants in order to find people who really fit their mission.

I think SELECT students pay OOS tuition regardless of where they live so It doesn't really matter if you go with SELECT. I am not sure about core.

You're going to have a great cycle, UnlimitedApps, I can feel it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember hearing that SELECT is more OOS friendly. My best guess is that USF is a public university, but SELECT is a partnership between LVHN and USF and I presume gets funded differently. Or perhaps they just look at a broader set of applicants in order to find people who really fit their mission.

I think SELECT students pay OOS tuition regardless of where they live so It doesn't really matter if you go with SELECT. I am not sure about core.

You're going to do have a great cycle, UnlimitedApps, I can feel it.

Haha, I appreciate the sentiment though no idea where you got it from. Don't even know if I can even grab a single medical school acceptance lol.

If I want to practice in a large hospital, which option does that correspond to in question 1? Would this be private practice?

I am also wondering this. I'm not sure if it would fit best under private practice or other.

Is academic medicine saying you'll be a physician that teaches residents and students or is it about being a physician and researcher? I have seen it used both ways so I'm not exactly sure

Does anyone know how the Residency form works? The page says we have to declare ourselves as Independent? Even if we are still dependent? And we can't get residency if we studied out of state and don't have two of the four things they listed?

Florida Residents: Complete and submit the Residency Form. Also, submit two of the following three forms of identification. Please scan form and identification materials together on 3 pages and submit as a single PDF.
  • Florida Driver’s License
  • Florida Vehicle Registration
  • Florida Voter Identification Card
  • Florida state university transcript (copy) indicating you are receiving In-State tuition. Applicable if you are currently enrolled or a recent graduate (equal to or less than 12 months since graduation)
    NOTE: YOU MUST CLAIM YOURSELF AS "INDEPENDENT" ON THE FORM. All identification materials above must be your own and notyour parents. This is for establishment of in state tuition, not associated with Financial Aid.

Is academic medicine saying you'll be a physician that teaches residents and students or is it about being a physician and researcher? I have seen it used both ways so I'm not exactly sure

I think academic medicine can include any position where you are employed/salaried by an academic health center or affiliated hospital(s) where you can have teaching duties, research responsibilities, clinical responsibilities, and/or administrative responsibilities. Some academic physicians do all 4 while some do only 2 or 3 (like teaching + clinical OR research + clinical). Essentially they are supplementing clinical work with additional academic related activities (cause clinical work still pays the bills lol).

For the question regarding how to reduce health disparities, would increasing access to health insurance be an appropriate answer or is this too political? Also this seems to be more of a health policy issue, but the question asks what "the medical profession" can do. So not sure if we should just stick to what doctors individually can do or medical professionals broadly (encompassing policy-makers)?

I’m trying to decide the same thing. I feel like any school that cares enough about disparities to ask about it on a secondary shouldn’t be offended by the insurance thing, but who knows. If you do decide to mention I would avoid mentioning anything specific about Obamacare.

For the question regarding how to reduce health disparities, would increasing access to health insurance be an appropriate answer or is this too political? Also this seems to be more of a health policy issue, but the question asks what "the medical profession" can do. So not sure if we should just stick to what doctors individually can do or medical professionals broadly (encompassing policy-makers)?
ehin

I feel like I'm repeating myself with the different questions on this secondary. I seem to be overlapping a lot between he first essay with "what attributes have you developed to prepare you for your intended career option" and the one where it asks "what experiences make you match with the SELECT program". I'm overlapping a bit with my diversity essay too, which also asks for unique experiences, attributes, etc. Anyone else running into this issue when writing?

I wrote what I feel like was a great essay for the first questions where I included some info about my research experience. Then when talking about the scholarly concentration, I chose research and realized I wrote an almost identical section so now I'm trying to change that lol

What do you guys think of the CORE vs SELECT programs? Any current USF students out there?
Yo, I'm in USF's M.S. in Medical Sciences grad program rn. Select typically has slightly lower MCAT average for acceptance and is more OOS friendly... but here's the catch! You pay OOS tuition all 4 years. It's not bad to pick both options from what I hear.

Last edited:
Current MS4 at USF. Have really enjoyed my time at USF thus far, and big improvements to the curriculum are continually being implemented. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Did you find out any more info about this??/Does anyone else know?

I called the office and they just said to apply as a dependent and provide the claimant's information. So that should be fine hahaha :D

Do you know if that means that we should include their documents (license/voter ID) as well? Or are you still uploading your own?

I included their documents primarily since I didn't have my own. If you have your own you may as well apply as an independent (FAFSA lets you choose to be classified as an independent if you are applying to a doctoral program so this is actually pretty normal apparently haha)

Alright guys, I'm not sure which program to choose. I'm OOS, and I'd honestly slightly prefer CORE, but my stats aren't that high for USF (3.93, 514, ORM). Am I better off choosing SELECT? I wrote (multiple times) in the secondary about my strong, longitudinal leadership experience, but I also wrote about my experience that's quite relevant to one of their Scholarly Program areas. I want to select both and say I have a preference for CORE, but I'm not sure if that will hurt my chances. Having SELECT as my only option wouldn't be a dealbreaker.
I'm sorry, what? Am I tripping here? Who told you that a 3.93 GPA and a 514 MCAT is not high enough for their program???

Reactions: 1 users
1. Their MSAR median is a 516
2. I’m out of state ORM
3. Based on the past thread, it’s pretty clear they value high MCAT scores a lot now, so that their ranking moves up.

Do you have a suggestion for SELECT vs CORE? I’m very interested in this school.
1. Your GPA is well above the median. I wouldn't worry too much if your MCAT is slightly below the median.

2. So am I, but my stats are not nearly as impressive as yours and I applied to both with a preference for CORE

3. I honestly think CORE is the better of the two because it looks like there's more options for Scholarly Concentrations that interest me.

1. Your GPA is well above the median. I wouldn't worry too much if your MCAT is slightly below the median.

2. So am I, but my stats are not nearly as impressive as yours and I applied to both with a preference for CORE

3. I honestly think CORE is the better of the two because it looks like there's more options for Scholarly Concentrations that interest me.

T

I saw on the last thread that someone who picked CORE alone got an interview offer solely for SELECT and not for CORE, so I think we can just put our preference without repercussions.

On another note, why isn't this school ranked higher? Regardless of the rank, there honestly seems to be more opporutnity to really make a dent in modern-day healthcare at this school than most schools I see in the top 30.

On another note, why isn't this school ranked higher? Regardless of the rank, there honestly seems to be more opporutnity to really make a dent in modern-day healthcare at this school than most schools I see in the top 30.
In my opinion, med school is med school. Unless you really want that residency at Mayo or Mass Gen, I really don't think rank of the medical school is that important. You get the same two letters after your name in the end.

In my opinion, med school is med school. Unless you really want that residency at Mayo or Mass Gen, I really don't think rank of the medical school is that important. You get the same two letters after your name in the end.

Not sure about that, rank/reputation seems to matter quite a bit even just for matching in a preferred location according to r/medicalschool. I'd bet money that USF is probably going to increase in rank soon as a reflection of their opportunities.

Last edited:

They’re clearly trying to. MCAT up to 516 and 50% of the class being OOS for a public school strikes me as something you would do if you were trying to move your way up the rankings, especially with the downtown relocation next to Tampa General that’s happening next year.

1. Their MSAR median is a 516
2. I’m out of state ORM
3. Based on the past thread, it’s pretty clear they value high MCAT scores a lot now, so that their ranking moves up.

Do you have a suggestion for SELECT vs CORE? I’m very interested in this school.
I have similar stats, I applied to both, but marked CORE as my preferred option.

Since the scholarly concentration question is optional, is this something we should answer only if we are passionate about a certain program and have experience to support that?

For anyone that qualifies for FAP, have you've gotten the fee waiver approved? I sent an email last Friday to the USF MD admissions but haven't gotten any response.

For anyone that qualifies for FAP, have you've gotten the fee waiver approved? I sent an email last Friday to the USF MD admissions but haven't gotten any response.
Be patient. It takes a few days for them to approve it. I'm sure they're swamped with emails right now

Since the scholarly concentration question is optional, is this something we should answer only if we are passionate about a certain program and have experience to support that?

I am not sure how the admission committee views it, but that is my approach. There are a few programs that sound interesting to me, but I am not passionate about one, so I decided not to answer it.

I was wondering if someone who has received a secondary would please send me the link to access the application? About a week ago I received both this secondary invite and another FL school but 2 days ago I had a hardware issue and lost much of what I had saved including I guess the links to those invites. I thought I'd ask here since I'm at work and unable to call the school until after work hours. Thanks.

I was wondering if someone who has received a secondary would please send me the link to access the application? About a week ago I received both this secondary invite and another FL school but 2 days ago I had a hardware issue and lost much of what I had saved including I guess the links to those invites. I thought I'd ask here since I'm at work and unable to call the school until after work hours. Thanks.
Couldn't you just check it from your email?

Couldn't you just check it from your email?

Yes I sure could if I had the email. Once I moved the necessary info into my spreadsheet the email was deleted. Luckily I had backed up everything except the 2 FL schools which I lost.

Is this something that should be answered if our stats aren't exceptional in themselves? Basically, is this something that could make a difference in an application that's probably borderline?

Is anyone not doing the optional scholarly concentration essay? Would it be bad if I don't write it?

Is anyone not doing the optional scholarly concentration essay? Would it be bad if I don't write it?
I decided not to do it. I am interested in some of them, but not passionate enough/have the experience to write about why I would want certain programs.

I recommend doing the essay just to show that you have an interest in a unique aspect of the school. Ultimately, you might choose not to participate, but it shows that you thought about it. But it's totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with!