2018-2019 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
USF (and, specifically, it's Dean) has been very obvious about continually raising its incoming classes' median MCAT scores. In the span of five application cycles, the percentile rank of the respective class' median went from 78th (in 2013) to 92nd (in 2017) -- which is a huge jump, even when considering the gradual increase in overall competitiveness of applicants each year. It is also noteworthy because their median GPA has not increased in a similar way each year. So I think Aubrey is trying to see if USF is intent on raising it even higher this year?
Precisely

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For people who have interviewed for SELECT already - did you go to the student-hosted casual event the night prior? Can anyone speak to what time it was at/how long it was? I'm staying with family about an hour drive from the Allentown campus and am worried about the drive if it's late at night, but I also don't want to look bad if I don't go...any advice?

Ours was ~6-8PM at Cali Burrito. Thought it was worthwhile b/c we got to chat a LOT with the med students and it was nice to meet and shoot the **** w/ other interviewees! I'm sure you can leave early if you're worried about driving an hour late at night, the med students were chill

The MD office said to expect the packet within 4-6 weeks
Okay, thank you for reporting back here! I was going to call tomorrow (still no packet today), but I won't worry about it until a little later if it's normal to take several weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current SELECT students speak to the financial aid options here? Do people get decent need based/merit scholarships? Or do they only get loans and mostly end up having to pay the full price?

Last edited:
I've got a SELECT interview coming up in a few weeks in Allentown - do any interviewees or current students have tips/advice?

anyone still waiting for the packet? *checks mail everyday*

also any recent news? have a few friends who interviewed in october waiting to hear back - is the turnaround 2 weeks?

Reactions: 2 users
anyone still waiting for the packet? *checks mail everyday*

also any recent news? have a few friends who interviewed in october waiting to hear back - is the turnaround 2 weeks?

I spoke to admissions about the packet (was accepted 10/16). They said to expect it in 3 weeks, so don't worry!

I've got a SELECT interview coming up in a few weeks in Allentown - do any interviewees or current students have tips/advice?

If you can, the dinner the night before is a pretty cool way to get to know the school/interview day. For the interview, just take a breath and be yourself. It isn't a stress interview, they're just trying to get to know you. You will do great, I'm sure.

Can any current SELECT students speak to the financial aid options here? Do people get decent need based/merit scholarships? Or do they only get loans and mostly end up having to pay the full price?

I've been keeping an eye on this thread just for a response to this. I'm sure someone might let us know one day?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a way to submit an update? I don’t see anything on the portal.

To confirm, is the SELECT interview just one 30-minute closed file interview with one or two people?

For those who already interviewed, what should we expect to talk about? I'm guessing we should be prepared to talk about "why medicine?", our AMCAS experiences and general job interview questions. Any other suggestions of what to prepare for? What did your conversation go like?

To confirm, is the SELECT interview just one 30-minute closed file interview with one or two people?

For those who already interviewed, what should we expect to talk about? I'm guessing we should be prepared to talk about "why medicine?", our AMCAS experiences and general job interview questions. Any other suggestions of what to prepare for? What did your conversation go like?
I imagine why USF and why USF select would also be good to have prepared

Is there a group for accepted students yet? Just wondering who my new classmates will be for next year! Also, does USF have a second-look days of sorts? Much thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted the 16th and still haven't received the packet; is their a deadline to respond to it because I am going to be traveling for a couple weeks soon.

I was accepted the 16th and still haven't received the packet; is their a deadline to respond to it because I am going to be traveling for a couple weeks soon.
Their admissions department is very receptive to phone calls and would know better than any of us

Is there a group for accepted students yet? Just wondering who my new classmates will be for next year! Also, does USF have a second-look days of sorts? Much thanks!

No idea on the group, but if anyone makes/finds one I'll join. I believe they do do a second look in spring? I guess we'll hear more about it later.

Same here... Have you received any info from the school about the interview yet? They are supposed to send us a packet at some point

Same here... Have you received any info from the school about the interview yet? They are supposed to send us a packet at some point

You'll get an email from someone who works for SELECT recruitment about a week or so before the interview detailing parking, where to go the morning of etc etc (I interviewed 9/10 and got the email 9/5). A current medical student will also send you an email a few days before inviting you to a casual dinner the night before the interview. This isn't mandatory at all so don't worry if your travel plans don't allow for it, but if you are around I suggest going because it was nice to get a feel for what students are like. You'll get a more detailed agenda the morning of your interview and you'll know how many/ the names of the interviewers before the interview happens.

You'll get an email from someone who works for SELECT recruitment about a week or so before the interview detailing parking, where to go the morning of etc etc (I interviewed 9/10 and got the email 9/5). A current medical student will also send you an email a few days before inviting you to a casual dinner the night before the interview. This isn't mandatory at all so don't worry if your travel plans don't allow for it, but if you are around I suggest going because it was nice to get a feel for what students are like. You'll get a more detailed agenda the morning of your interview and you'll know how many/ the names of the interviewers before the interview happens.
Anything specific you would recommend prepping for? I've heard that the interview is pretty straightforward and laidback

Sent from my VS501 using SDN mobile

Anything specific you would recommend prepping for? I've heard that the interview is pretty straightforward and laidback

Sent from my VS501 using SDN mobile
Lol well during the interview day they make you sign an NDA and explicitly warned us about SDN posts so that's probably why there isn't anything specific on this thread about the actual interview. I will say that I felt like it was not stressful at all and to make sure you're being genuine instead of just trying to tell them what you think they want to hear.

I believe there is a second look in the spring! I have a friend who is an M4 there right now and he had told me last year helped out with the second look for the prospective students

Does anybody know approximately how big the class size is for the SELECT program?

Did any SELECT interviewees from 10/29 interview hear back? Didnt the dean say he would let us know soon?