2018-2019 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello again friends, did anyone receive any merit based scholarship information with their acceptance package? Trying to see if USF assigns scholarships at the time of acceptance or waits until the class is finalized
I asked at my interview, they said we should hear sometime by February but definitely before April 30

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an interview invite for SELECT, but there are no interview dates for PA or Tampa campus...am I doing something wrong or is there no more interview dates left? If so why would they be sending out invites?

Reactions: 1 user
Just received an interview invite for SELECT, but there are no interview dates for PA or Tampa campus...am I doing something wrong or is there no more interview dates left? If so why would they be sending out invites?
Same problem happened with me. I called admissions and they were able to give me a spot in February, so I would call them up. Unfortunately I think all the January spots are filled:/

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats! Complete date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same problem happened with me. I called admissions and they were able to give me a spot in February, so I would call them up. Unfortunately I think all the January spots are filled:/

When were you offered an interview invite, if you dont mind me asking? And did you just call up the admissions office?

When were you offered an interview invite, if you dont mind me asking? And did you just call up the admissions office?
Yup just called them and told them there weren't any dates left on the scheduler. I got my invite on Dec. 11th

Can current students shed light on how stressful the grading system is actually? I feel like I'm overestimating the stress factor of it

BUMP BUMP

I am not a current student but I was accepted and talked to current students about this at the dinner the night before the interview and during the interview day.

I was told they have a HP/P/F grading system which is not curved (although scaled so if everyone does bad it will be brought up). What that means though is that the cutoff is the cutoff. It 100% of the class grades above the cutoff for HP, then all of them receive a HP. In other words you’re not really competing against other students.

The students I talked to said that they don’t kill themselves trying to get HP unless it’s something they’re really interested in (of course some people still do).

Overall it seemed like a pretty good atmosphere. You get a “big” which is helpful and the students I met seemed to gel really well.

I would also like to hear from a current student though on here to get more input.

Anyone who interviewed 12/4 hear back? Or know when that date will hear back? :whistle:

Hi, I'm a current student at USF. Most people couldn't care less about that grading system, I seriously, seriously doubt residencies will even look at it, especially since it is not standardized like a college GPA. Of course there will be people who will obsess over getting the highest marks possible but I don't believe that is healthy or practical. Personally, I do the bare minimum to pass the lecture exams so I can prepare myself for the STEP as much as possible, so I have not gotten Honors in any of my classes since I've been here.

Reactions: 7 users
I may have missed it, but any word on second-look weekend? :bag:

Hi, I'm a current student at USF. Most people couldn't care less about that grading system, I seriously, seriously doubt residencies will even look at it, especially since it is not standardized like a college GPA. Of course there will be people who will obsess over getting the highest marks possible but I don't believe that is healthy or practical. Personally, I do the bare minimum to pass the lecture exams so I can prepare myself for the STEP as much as possible, so I have not gotten Honors in any of my classes since I've been here.

Thanks for your insight! Just a couple questions: Are the exams made up of NBME questions? Are the lectures helpful at all, in your opinion? How long is the dedicated study period for Step 1? Anything you wish you knew before starting M1 at USF?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your insight! Just a couple questions: Are the exams made up of NBME questions? Are the lectures helpful at all, in your opinion? How long is the dedicated study period for Step 1? Anything you wish you knew before starting M1 at USF?

Great questions

Can current students shed light on how stressful the grading system is actually?

Are the exams made up of NBME questions? Are the lectures helpful at all, in your opinion? How long is the dedicated study period for Step 1? Anything you wish you knew before starting M1 at USF?
@FindMeOnTheLinks @Dr. Scribe @april5115 @xffan624 @monnarx
Just tagging some more current/former students to see if we can get any additional opinions on the questions quoted above.

And I have a couple more questions of my own, too, if you guys don't mind:
-Does USF provide any board prep materials to students (ex.-B&B, Pathoma, etc.)?
-What amount of time per week would you guys estimate goes toward required/mandatory attendance activites, such as PBL and/or other group sessions (other than tests and anatomy labs)? Do you guys think it's currently a good amount, or do you wish there were more or less required sessions?

EDIT: Also @aceofhearts2618, at the interview I attended, they said the exams were made partially from retired NBME questions, and partially from professor-written questions. But regarding the latter, they did say they put the professors/instructors through training to ensure they write NBME-style questions, and that there is also some sort of "audit" system through which the professor's questions are reviewed by somebody else to make sure they are close enough in style and difficulty to NBME ones. Would be interesting to hear from students about whether this is true or not, though.
And according to their academic calendar, dedicated is 10 weeks. Was told at the interview, though, that they encourage students to take no longer than 6 weeks to prepare (apparently, that's about the "sweet spot" in terms of prep time vs. Step I performance) and to use the remaining time as vacation and/or time to relocate in the case of SELECT students.

Attachments

• AcademicCalendarAY201920112818.xlsx
    23.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
II a few days ago for SELECT! Complete in mid-September.

Seeing that the new medical school will open in downtown Tampa on Water St. in 2019, would it be worthwhile to get housing in downtown as well for incoming students? All the apartments around there are in the $1k+ range...

@FindMeOnTheLinks @Dr. Scribe @april5115 @xffan624 @monnarx
Just tagging some more current/former students to see if we can get any additional opinions on the questions quoted above.

And I have a couple more questions of my own, too, if you guys don't mind:
-Does USF provide any board prep materials to students (ex.-B&B, Pathoma, etc.)?
-What amount of time per week would you guys estimate goes toward required/mandatory attendance activites, such as PBL and/or other group sessions (other than tests and anatomy labs)? Do you guys think it's currently a good amount, or do you wish there were more or less required sessions?

EDIT: Also @aceofhearts2618, at the interview I attended, they said the exams were made partially from retired NBME questions, and partially from professor-written questions. But regarding the latter, they did say they put the professors/instructors through training to ensure they write NBME-style questions, and that there is also some sort of "audit" system through which the professor's questions are reviewed by somebody else to make sure they are close enough in style and difficulty to NBME ones. Would be interesting to hear from students about whether this is true or not, though.
And according to their academic calendar, dedicated is 10 weeks. Was told at the interview, though, that they encourage students to take no longer than 6 weeks to prepare (apparently, that's about the "sweet spot" in terms of prep time vs. Step I performance) and to use the remaining time as vacation and/or time to relocate in the case of SELECT students.

1. Are the exams made up of NBME questions?
The in-house exams are written by our professors (mostly PhDs), but we do have NBME final exams that account for 20% of our final grade at the end of the course. NBME-style varies quite a bit, so its hard to comment on the "audit" system. Sometimes you get clinical vignettes, other times you get recall/recognition questions.

2. Are the lectures helpful at all, in your opinion?
Depends on the lecturer. Although, whenever we have an MD/DO lecturer, the lecture is great. PhD lecturers are hit or miss. Pre-study high yield board-relevant material before going over lectures if you want to use lectures to solidify STEP concepts.

3. How long is the dedicated study period for Step 1?
~ 10 weeks I think

4. Anything you wish you knew before starting M1 at USF?
Nothing specific to USF really.

5. Does USF provide any board prep materials to students (ex.-B&B, Pathoma, etc.)?
We get BoardVitals, but none of the really popular qbanks or resources. Those can all be found for free online though and shouldn't really be a factor for deciding which school to go to IMO....

6. What amount of time per week would you guys estimate goes toward required/mandatory attendance activites, such as PBL and/or other group sessions (other than tests and anatomy labs)? Do you guys think it's currently a good amount, or do you wish there were more or less required sessions?
Depends on whether you are Select or Core. 1st years have 2hrs of anatomy lab every week and 4 hours of Doctoring. The school is increasing the amount of required lectures- I'd say we get about 2/3 required lectures a week. Select students have an additional 3hrs of Select leadership stuff every week.
TLDR: ~10hrs/wk (Core) ~13hrs/wk (Select)
Its hard to say whether I would like more or less required stuff. On one hand, I would have more free time, but on the other, I wouldn't really get to see my classmates as much. I am pretty satisfied with the current amount of required sessions.

7. Can current students shed light on how stressful the grading system is actually? I feel like I'm overestimating the stress factor of it
It's as stressful as you want it to be.
Trying to get honors? --> relatively stressful but still not too bad. I have gotten Honors before and it wasn't crazy difficult, but I did lose momentum in my research and STEP prep bc of it.
Trying to pass? --> LOL (don't mean to downplay it but if you make it this far you prob have the ability to cram for a week and pass no problem)
I do sometimes get the impression that my peers judge each other based on pre-clinical grades (bc no one has taken step yet) so if you care about your "image" either kill class grades and let everyone know about it (like many of my classmates do) OR focus on the important stuff and let your match day results speak for themselves.
Just to be clear, I really do like my class as a whole. But, whenever you are around 170+ people for extended periods of time, you are bound to run into people who annoy you.

LMK if you have other questions

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Seeing that the new medical school will open in downtown Tampa on Water St. in 2019, would it be worthwhile to get housing in downtown as well for incoming students? All the apartments around there are in the $1k+ range...

Some of the 2 and 3 bedrooms don’t seem like they’d be too bad with the cost split between roommates

M1 here, I concur with most of what my classmate above said but I'll steal their template to add some of my own input.

Exams are non cumulative and written by the faculty. They go through an extensive vetting process, and students are given the opportunity to contest questions (and extremely low performing questions are sometimes automatically thrown out). Our final exam for each block consists of retired Step 1 questions provided by the NBME. Professors do their best to mirror Step style questions, but this obviously varies between faculty.

For the most part, yeah. I personally focus mostly on board prep and only supplement with class material. Lectures given by physicians tend to be fantastic and very board relevant, while ones given by non clinicians can sometimes be a bit esoteric or unnecessarily dense.

Yup, 10 weeks allotted but many people choose not to use all 10 weeks and instead use any time left over for a vacation.

Nope, it's a great school thats definitely a bit of a rising star. The new building is going to be fantastic! Very jealous of you guys that will be basically the first class able to use it to its full extent.

5. Does USF provide any board prep materials to students (ex.-B&B, Pathoma, etc.)?
Not that I know of. Like what my classmate said, we get access to this thing called BoardVitals but I can't comment on it myself because I haven't used it. As for other step prep material, I'm only a first year so I'm not sure if we get group discounts or anything like that next year.

6. What amount of time per week would you guys estimate goes toward required/mandatory attendance activites, such as PBL and/or other group sessions (other than tests and anatomy labs)? Do you guys think it's currently a good amount, or do you wish there were more or less required sessions?
Doctoring is mandatory for 3-4 hours/week. Anatomy lab is once a week for about 2 hours, and there are some mandatory type lectures throughout the week. I'd say 10-12 on average is mandatory, and more if you're in the SELECT program. I'm okay with the amount of mandatory stuff currently.

7. Can current students shed light on how stressful the grading system is actually? I feel like I'm overestimating the stress factor of it

Yeah like Dr. Scribe said: if you're a tryhard and shooting for honors then you might be a little stressed. Preclinical grades don't matter to me, so as long as I pass my classes and focus on boards I'm fine with it. I'd rather study less and have more free time. The way the grading system is set up (and given the fact that AOA here is not determined by pre-clinical performance) means that there is very little reason to try for honors.

That said, the class as a whole isn't super competitive, study guides and materials are freely shared and you really get the feeling that everyone wants everyone else to do well. I haven't encountered any actual gunners (yet).

Happy to answer any other questions :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi all. I'm looking for help in deciding if I should interview for the SELECT program. I would call the office directly - and I will if it comes to that - but I'd prefer not to be that applicant grilling them on why I should interview for this program.

I have a couple acceptances already and an interview with my top choice next week - so I'm in a great spot and super thankful that I even get to have this debate with myself on the flight out and interview. I didn't apply for this program - I applied for the regular MD track - but apparently they recruit out of that pool! I'm of course honored and the program *does* seem interesting and up my alley. My concerns and questions are:

1. Does the SELECT track have any proven benefit for residency selection prospects? Do these students get better matches overall?
2. Is there any money behind this program? Cost is a concern and if I can attend a cheaper institution, that's something I'm definitely considering. I'd really like to see the difference in average indebtedness for the regular track versus SELECT track students to see if their financial aid is any different.
2a. In state tuition seems feasible (12 months domiciled in Florida before the semester starts, according to my understanding of the USF website). Is that impression fair and does that mean most out of state students get in state after their first year? Then if I have to move to Allentown in year 3, does that mean I'm out of state again?

All these questions PLUS the fact that an accepted SELECT applicant has to juggle a move to Allentown while studying for STEP 1 seems a little much to me. I would really appreciate if any of y'all have knowledge with this program. Thank you!

For those who have interviewed for SELECT, is the interview closed file?

Do they reject pre interview or wait until the end of cycle?

Hi all. I'm looking for help in deciding if I should interview for the SELECT program. I would call the office directly - and I will if it comes to that - but I'd prefer not to be that applicant grilling them on why I should interview for this program.

I have a couple acceptances already and an interview with my top choice next week - so I'm in a great spot and super thankful that I even get to have this debate with myself on the flight out and interview. I didn't apply for this program - I applied for the regular MD track - but apparently they recruit out of that pool! I'm of course honored and the program *does* seem interesting and up my alley. My concerns and questions are:

1. Does the SELECT track have any proven benefit for residency selection prospects? Do these students get better matches overall?
2. Is there any money behind this program? Cost is a concern and if I can attend a cheaper institution, that's something I'm definitely considering. I'd really like to see the difference in average indebtedness for the regular track versus SELECT track students to see if their financial aid is any different.
2a. In state tuition seems feasible (12 months domiciled in Florida before the semester starts, according to my understanding of the USF website). Is that impression fair and does that mean most out of state students get in state after their first year? Then if I have to move to Allentown in year 3, does that mean I'm out of state again?

All these questions PLUS the fact that an accepted SELECT applicant has to juggle a move to Allentown while studying for STEP 1 seems a little much to me. I would really appreciate if any of y'all have knowledge with this program. Thank you!
Just a comment on your last question.. most schools will not allow you to change your in-state designation once you start, as moving for educational purposes does not give you in-state residency. A current student might know for sure, or obviously the financial aid office, but that's my experience with Florida schools!

Another M1 here to steal the template and elaborate.

As my classmates said, the final for each course is all NBME and the in-house are somewhat similar. Although I've felt that the practice questions we get for those are often much harder, so I'm suspicious that in house is often easier than NBME questions.

I totally agree with the whole MD vs PhD when it comes to lecture quality variants. However I'm a bit of an odd ball in that I do go to (almost) every lecture. It's just the way I learn, recordings don't cut it for me.

See classmates.

Housing is a bit of a pain. Get that sorted as early as you can. Schedule time for parking and time to travel downtown or to campus. Med school is a lot, but if you got this far, you can do it.

There is some stuff in Canvas, and we get the Board vitals, but we don't get the keystone resources. 2nd years are a godsend though and (I guess it'll be us!) will give you all the resources that have been passed down.

See classmates for amount of time. I don't think we spend too much time on mandatory stuff. I wish some doctoring topics were given some more time. Sometimes mandatory stuff is scheduled at a frustrating time, but that's life.

P=MD y'all. In my personal opinion, it's not worth the extra stress and time to try and get honors. Doesn't matter at all except for your own self satisfaction.

The in-house exams are written by our professors (mostly PhDs), but we do have NBME final exams that account for 20% of our final grade at the end of the course. NBME-style varies quite a bit, so its hard to comment on the "audit" system. Sometimes you get clinical vignettes, other times you get recall/recognition questions.

Depends on the lecturer. Although, whenever we have an MD/DO lecturer, the lecture is great. PhD lecturers are hit or miss. Pre-study high yield board-relevant material before going over lectures if you want to use lectures to solidify STEP concepts.

~ 10 weeks I think

Nothing specific to USF really.

We get BoardVitals, but none of the really popular qbanks or resources. Those can all be found for free online though and shouldn't really be a factor for deciding which school to go to IMO....

Depends on whether you are Select or Core. 1st years have 2hrs of anatomy lab every week and 4 hours of Doctoring. The school is increasing the amount of required lectures- I'd say we get about 2/3 required lectures a week. Select students have an additional 3hrs of Select leadership stuff every week.
TLDR: ~10hrs/wk (Core) ~13hrs/wk (Select)
Its hard to say whether I would like more or less required stuff. On one hand, I would have more free time, but on the other, I wouldn't really get to see my classmates as much. I am pretty satisfied with the current amount of required sessions.

It's as stressful as you want it to be.
Trying to get honors? --> relatively stressful but still not too bad. I have gotten Honors before and it wasn't crazy difficult, but I did lose momentum in my research and STEP prep bc of it.
Trying to pass? --> LOL (don't mean to downplay it but if you make it this far you prob have the ability to cram for a week and pass no problem)
I do sometimes get the impression that my peers judge each other based on pre-clinical grades (bc no one has taken step yet) so if you care about your "image" either kill class grades and let everyone know about it (like many of my classmates do) OR focus on the important stuff and let your match day results speak for themselves.
Just to be clear, I really do like my class as a whole. But, whenever you are around 170+ people for extended periods of time, you are bound to run into people who annoy you.

LMK if you have other questions

Hey, I see you mentioned you’re doing research. How was getting involved in that? Is it lab work, clinical, chart reviews/cases? Are you in the biomedical research area of concentration or know someone in it and can you comment on that experience? Does it allocate time for you to do research or is it more of a colloquium about research?

Thanks

CORE interview day format:

Show up, get picture taken.
Typical PowerPoint presentation with faculty/staff.
Get to meet with standardized patients.
Interact with one of their simulated patients.
Tour of facilities with current students.
Lunch while listening to a panel of faculty/staff on financial aid etc.
Interviews at the very end, which consisted of two separate one-on-one interviews that could last up to an hour each.
Final meeting at the end to address logistics such as notifications of decisions/timing.

Goodluck!

Invited to interview for the core program this morning!

Reactions: 5 users
Thought this would be useful for anyone browsing this in later cycles:

I received a call about a month ago that I wasn't able to pick up. When I googled the number, it showed USF Morsani medicine. I tried calling back multiple times, at different times of the day, on different days and was never picked up

Last week (almost a month later), I received a call from a different number than the one above and picked up, and was invited to interview here. I have no idea why they didn't just send me an email to invite me to interview the first time and can't understand why they waited a month to contact me again. My only guess is that I was on their list of backup II's, and they would call that list when someone would cancel an interview last minute.

I am OOS.

Hey, I see you mentioned you’re doing research. How was getting involved in that? Is it lab work, clinical, chart reviews/cases? Are you in the biomedical research area of concentration or know someone in it and can you comment on that experience? Does it allocate time for you to do research or is it more of a colloquium about research?

Thanks

I am in the biomedical research concentration but I did not find my PI through that program. I work in basic science research. PM me for details

The rSC does not give you extra time for research; it just helps you get published eventually by helping you meet PIs and setting milestones that you have to hit. Overall, I think the program is good for the person who just wants to publish once or twice, but it's not enough for the person who is trying to match ortho/derm/neuro and needs 10+ pubs.

There are colloquiums for specific fields of research but rSC is not a colloquium.

MCAT: 507 cGPA: 3.5 sGPA: 3.75

I am in the biomedical research concentration but I did not find my PI through that program. I work in basic science research. PM me for details

The rSC does not give you extra time for research; it just helps you get published eventually by helping you meet PIs and setting milestones that you have to hit. Overall, I think the program is good for the person who just wants to publish once or twice, but it's not enough for the person who is trying to match ortho/derm/neuro and needs 10+ pubs.

There are colloquiums for specific fields of research but rSC is not a colloquium.

Wait WHAT? why do you need so many pubs to match into those fields???

Has anyone received the Certiphi background check email yet? The acceptance packet said it would be around January 1st if I recall correctly, which, granted is only a week ago, but this wouldn't be SDN without neuroticism.

Has anyone received the Certiphi background check email yet? The acceptance packet said it would be around January 1st if I recall correctly, which, granted is only a week ago, but this wouldn't be SDN without neuroticism.
I received mine this morning

Got mine yesterday as well. Was accepted back in late November

I received mine yesterday morning. Was accepted December 6th

Still havnt received it- accepted Oct. 15.
Ok, I'm not alone then because I was accepted Oct. 16. We'll just have to wait for them to dig up our skeletons :laugh:

And just like that, I got the e-mail :laugh: Thanks, Big Brother

I got my interview invitation Jan 6 and I was wondering what the patient simulation was like on interview day?

anyone who interviewed in late November hear anything yet?

I got my interview invitation Jan 6 and I was wondering what the patient simulation was like on interview day?
The interview group is split in two, one half goes to the sim lab first and the other half breaks up into groups of 2/3 and meets with a standardized patient. For the sim-lab, you see one of their older heart sound dummies and the resident (I'm pretty certain it was a resident) demonstrating asks a few easy questions about the heart and heart sounds. The new, presently used sim-lab CAMLS is downtown, so it is the older, previously used one that I believe pre-med classes now use that you see. For the standardized patient, they'll tell you a little about themselves, how long they've been a standardized patient, what their previous medical experience is, that sort of thing. Then they'll ask a few questions just to get to know you. It's all low stress and really just an opportunity to hear another opinion on the USF experience.