2018-2019 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So no one (on here at least) who interviewed for SELECT actually got an informal acceptance call? Trying to figure out if silence means nothing vs if silence means bad news
At my SELECT interview they did not even mention that this type of call was a possibility, so I wouldn't worry about it!

Members don't see this ad.

II just now!!! My first one and I am so so excited. Complete 8/6

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
HOLY MOTHER******* MOLY!!!!! I JUST GOT MY VERY FIRST INTERVIEW INVITEEEEEEE! I'M DYINGGGGGG.

Reactions: 5 users
HOLY MOTHER******* MOLY!!!!! I JUST GOT MY VERY FIRST INTERVIEW INVITEEEEEEE! I'M DYINGGGGGG.

Alright, got that out of my system. Low GPA, high MCAT. OOS. Primary was verified beginning of August, secondary was submitted at the very beginning of September.

Applied to both programs, invite is for SELECT (by email). Option to interview at either location (Tampa or Allentown). Earliest Tampa dates available are Nov. 5 & 26th. Earliest Allentown ones are Nov. 12 & 26.

Could anybody chime in about the pros and cons of interviewing at either location?
EDIT: I'm just gonna ahead and choose Tampa, it seems easier to make travelling arrangements to and from...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
II for SELECT program! Complete end of July, but my file wasn't reviewed until sometime after 9/21.

How do you know if your file has been reviewed?

I would periodically check my status via the application portal and it would say "File not yet reviewed" or something similar. Last time I checked was 9/21.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would periodically check my status via the application portal and it would say "File not yet reviewed" or something similar. Last time I checked was 9/21.
Hmmm I never had any change in my portal. It always remained "Your application is ready"

WOW that was fast. stats?
Yeah... it’s strange how fast it was for me especially because my stats aren’t the greatest. 507 MCAT and 3.5 GPA but I’m pretty sure it’s because of my extensive extracurriculars and the fact that a lot of what I have done is in line with what the Select program does as well.

what were your guys mcat/gpa??

I have 507 MCAT and 3.7 GPA, but I also have a lot of research under my belt and significant personal challenges that I have overcome. Forgot to mention, I'm also OOS.

They are sending out acceptances from tomorrow by phone call! so nervous!
They didn't specify how they would contact us at our interview day. Looks from last cycle that it will be snail mail for decisions other than acceptances, which will be a call...

At my interview day, they actually said they would call even the post-II rejects (if there are any this early) so that they can let you know what happened and hopefully help you NOT make the same mistake at another interview.
Select or Core?

Hey guys, I have a (potentially dumb) question about the interview. In the USF thread from a couple of years back, one poster said that he/she was told at the interview that once you get to the interview stage, the interview is all they base the subsequent admissions decision on (at least for SELECT). (As in, they don't later go back and do a full review of the application + interview, then make a decision.) This poster was the only person that mentioned this, and I haven't seen it in last year's thread, either. Just wanted to know if any person who's already interviewed with SELECT this year was told this at all?

Hey guys, I have a (potentially dumb) question about the interview. In the USF thread from a couple of years back, one poster said that he/she was told at the interview that once you get to the interview stage, the interview is all they base the subsequent admissions decision on (at least for SELECT). (As in, they don't later go back and do a full review of the application + interview, then make a decision.) This poster was the only person that mentioned this, and I haven't seen it in last year's thread, either. Just wanted to know if any person who's already interviewed with SELECT this year was told this at all?
Interviewed for SELECT this year and was never told that. And tbh I don't think it makes sense for them to throw everything else out and base their final decision on a on hour conversation with one or two people. I'm sure the interview is weighed heavily since theres such a big focus on emotional intelligence and the ability to interact with patients and be a doctor outside of the classroom, but I sincerely doubt it is the only thing that goes into the final decision.

Interviewed for SELECT this year and was never told that. And tbh I don't think it makes sense for them to throw everything else out and base their final decision on a on hour conversation with one or two people. I'm sure the interview is weighed heavily since theres such a big focus on emotional intelligence and the ability to interact with patients and be a doctor outside of the classroom, but I sincerely doubt it is the only thing that goes into the final decision.
Perfect, thanks! That's what I figured, especially since that has literally never been mentioned again anywhere.

Anyone get any news yet?
(early) SELECT interviewee here, no news yet. I vaguely recall that comms would come near the end of the work day, so like 5pm EST... but who knows really.

(early) SELECT interviewee here, no news yet. I vaguely recall that comms would come near the end of the work day, so like 5pm EST... but who knows really.
+1 interviewed beginning of September (is that early? When did they start interviews lol) but wasn't told that we should expect anything today... but this whole "call even when you're rejecting someone" thing makes me mildly afraid of picking up the phone now

I heard that when I interviewed last year. But I didn't listen to the whole conversation. It was a question in passing at the end of the day and I wanted to go sleep hah.

edit: basically, I am not sure of the nuances in this case, but I can report to there being that sort of sentiment at the interview.

+1 interviewed beginning of September (is that early? When did they start interviews lol) but wasn't told that we should expect anything today... but this whole "call even when you're rejecting someone" thing makes me mildly afraid of picking up the phone now
August 28th was the first interview date. I don't think you'll get a rejection call. Call's are good.

+1!!!! Interviewed for core in the first week of September

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted just now via phone call, so excited :) interview was early September for CORE

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted CORE via phone, interviewed in late September!

Reactions: 2 users
Got the call today. I'm in!!!

Interviewed 9/25 for Core