2018-2019 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dang, my interview is months away and so many people getting accepted already...

For those that interviewed, do you know how many people they interview per session?

Dang, my interview is months away and so many people getting accepted already...

For those that interviewed, do you know how many people they interview per session?

8 for each session, 16 total interviewees for the day

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody else interviewed and not heard back yet? I interviewed on 10/10 and it seems like people before, on and after this date have heard back already (both good and bad news), but there are others that interviewed before/on/after 10/10 that also haven’t heard back yet. I’m thinking maybe they’re randomly reviewing apps that were complete before Oct 15th instead of reviewing in chronological order. Does anybody from the current or previous cycles know anything about this?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody else interviewed and not heard back yet? I interviewed on 10/10 and it seems like people before, on and after this date have heard back already (both good and bad news), but there are others that interviewed before/on/after 10/10 that also haven’t heard back yet. I’m thinking maybe they’re randomly reviewing apps that were complete before Oct 15th instead of reviewing in chronological order. Does anybody from the current or previous cycles know anything about this?
IIRC Dr. Arias said that the committee meets once every two weeks (so the next date to hear back should be 10/29). Idk if the process is random but I know of people who interviewed before you who are also still waiting to hear back. Hopefully you hear good news next week!

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any current students with any insight on housing? If you're in Currie Hall on campus, do you feel like it's made it easier to socialize/get to know your class since you're living in close proximity? Or if you're living off campus, what do you feel like are the pros/cons of that other than distance from school?

Rejected, complete 7/4. Been expecting this for over a month. Good luck to the rest!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any current students with any insight on housing? If you're in Currie Hall on campus, do you feel like it's made it easier to socialize/get to know your class since you're living in close proximity? Or if you're living off campus, what do you feel like are the pros/cons of that other than distance from school?

I live off campus. Rent+bills end up being much cheaper if you live with roommates, and you can be much closer to more restaurants, groceries, stores, coffee shops, etc. Obviously you'll need a car so you should take into account the costs of that, but it's better to have car anyway even if you live on campus so you can easily enjoy what Los Angeles has to offer (or at least find friends that have cars I guess). If you're worried that you'll have a hard time making friends if you live off campus, that's what the MDLs/learning communities/ICMs are for! Made all my friends in med school so far through those. And honestly, the only downside I can think of is when you get to 3rd year and you have to wake up super early to get to campus by 4:30 am for gen surg or obgyn rotations.

Complete 7/14 and Keck FINALLY rejected me!! Actually glad, I was tired of being led on :laugh:

Also got the R today. Knew it was coming considering they're more or less done scheduling IIs now. 3rd one of the cycle and definitely stings, was hoping I could stay in CA. All on you UCR lol

I live off campus. Rent+bills end up being much cheaper if you live with roommates, and you can be much closer to more restaurants, groceries, stores, coffee shops, etc. Obviously you'll need a car so you should take into account the costs of that, but it's better to have car anyway even if you live on campus so you can easily enjoy what Los Angeles has to offer (or at least find friends that have cars I guess). If you're worried that you'll have a hard time making friends if you live off campus, that's what the MDLs/learning communities/ICMs are for! Made all my friends in med school so far through those. And honestly, the only downside I can think of is when you get to 3rd year and you have to wake up super early to get to campus by 4:30 am for gen surg or obgyn rotations.

Thanks for responding - super helpful :)
I figured living on campus would make it much easier to spend time with classmates as you're starting to get to know them/make friends. If you don't mind, what area of LA are/have you lived in while at Keck?

hands down the best housing is City View Terrace lol its $700-$900 a month (compare to Currie Hall's $1100-$1700 a month) and its a gated community thats 4 mins away. Its the same sort of thing with the completely furnished homes, utilities included, PLUS free parking. people walk but you can drive. its mostly students here so the community is awesome.

btw if anyone has any questions for current students, let me know! definitely happy to help

Thanks for responding - super helpful :)
I figured living on campus would make it much easier to spend time with classmates as you're starting to get to know them/make friends. If you don't mind, what area of LA are/have you lived in while at Keck?

Just do your best to be friendly, open-minded and force yourself to be outgoing for a little bit and things will work out!

I think a majority of people that are off campus will live in CVT in Lincoln Heights, Alhambra, South Pasadena, Monterey Park, Pasadena, and Highland Park. CVT is the most convenient if you're trying to be as close to the school as possible and is super cheap. You'll still have to drive a bit for your groceries and other things, but you'll be really close to the best street tacos around. Alhambra, Monterey Park and Highland Park I think are really affordable and have great options for groceries, restaurants and all that fun stuff. South Pas and Pasadena are super nice areas, but will most likely be pricier and Pasadena specifically can be a bit of a drive.

R just now complete 7/30 LM 70 :(. oh well at least i heard something back

Are there even any interview dates left? Was complete 8/9, and have not been rejected since receiving a phone call shortly after submitting my secondary...

Are there even any interview dates left? Was complete 8/9, and have not been rejected since receiving a phone call shortly after submitting my secondary...
There seems to be quite the group of us who were complete here early and are in limbo! +pity+

Reactions: 3 users
It feels like they filled up all their interview spots and just decided to mass send Rs to everyone else

Rejected Pre-II and complete in mid-July. LM 78-79 and a CA resident. I wish they would have said how I can improve.

No R. Am I still in the running????
I'm so confused

No R. Am I still in the running????
I'm so confused
Honestly just want any kind of decision at this point lol. My nickname was so garbage too, maybe they’re just still laughing at it

Honestly just want any kind of decision at this point lol. My nickname was so garbage too, maybe they’re just still laughing at it

Mine makes me cringe just thinking about it..

Out of curiosity, I didn't try and tie anything in my secondary here back to medicine unless explicitly asked. Did you do the same?

Mine makes me cringe just thinking about it..

Out of curiosity, I didn't try and tie anything in my secondary here back to medicine unless explicitly asked. Did you do the same?
My “what would you change” answer had to do with a disease that I’ve spent a lot of time around over the past few years, but besides that no. I do feel that looking back, my answers were a little bit more serious than they might have been looking for; I remember being worried about coming off as unprofessional. Oh well!

My “what would you change” answer had to do with a disease that I’ve spent a lot of time around over the past few years, but besides that no. I do feel that looking back, my answers were a little bit more serious than they might have been looking for; I remember being worried about coming off as unprofessional. Oh well!

hmm maybe we did the right thing who knows lol

yo where you at with that next set of decisions Keck...

Reactions: 4 users
ACCEPTED! I just got the call!

Edit: I interviewed last week and was definitely not expecting this call. I choked up so badly during the call that I barely managed to respond.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users