2018-2019 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what does it mean if we interviewed 1/30 and didn’t get accepted or waitlisted today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Guessing that means they just didn’t get to us right? Don’t think they would delay either waitlists or acceptances if they already made their decisions...

Reactions: 1 user
Guessing that means they just didn’t get to us right? Don’t think they would delay either waitlists or acceptances if they already made their decisions...
Do they reject post-interview? I’m asking because I’ve never seen someone say they got rejected post-interview?

No, I’m pretty sure they just waitlist you and you either get offered a spot later or they just never get back to you..

Can any current students speak to how Keck is at career/Match advising, portfolio/CV help, etc.?

Only a MS2 so I can't speak too much about this, coz it's not something that admin focuses too much on in MS1-2. The most I can say is that Dean Restifo (Dean of Student Affairs) talks about how the school will work with you and advise you on how to approach residency apps depending on your Step 1 score but what they specifically do, I'm not totally sure. There is a career advising office you can go to, and Dean Restifo and Dr. Zia (Assistant Dean) are really nice people that have office hours in case you're worried about anything about that.

Also, I think if you have a specific specialty you're considering early on, the best advice you'll get in terms of matching will come from program directors, current residents and 4th years currently in the application cycle. So shadow people in the field, talk to some faculty/residents, sign up for the student interest group, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Only a MS2 so I can't speak too much about this, coz it's not something that admin focuses too much on in MS1-2. The most I can say is that Dean Restifo (Dean of Student Affairs) talks about how the school will work with you and advise you on how to approach residency apps depending on your Step 1 score but what they specifically do, I'm not totally sure. There is a career advising office you can go to, and Dean Restifo and Dr. Zia (Assistant Dean) are really nice people that have office hours in case you're worried about anything about that.

Also, I think if you have a specific specialty you're considering early on, the best advice you'll get in terms of matching will come from program directors, current residents and 4th years currently in the application cycle. So shadow people in the field, talk to some faculty/residents, sign up for the student interest group, etc.

Thanks!

Any md-phds not hear back yet? Really hoping the committee is meeting tomorrow so there’s still a chance

Is the due date for submitting financial aid info on March 1st or is that another school I’m thinking about?

Has anyone from 2/1 or after heard back? I though we were supposed to hear back on the 12th, but still have not heard anything ...

Hope they fix the USC net ID issue soon :( their email said it would be early last week

What has been their average turnaround time from interview to notification? Interviewing tomorrow (02/20/2019) - just curious when to expect a decision after that. thanks!

Waitlisted. Shame that it looks like the negative interpretations of last Tuesday were correct.

Anyone else still waiting who interviewed 1/30 or earlier?

Interviewed 2/6, no response yet. Anyone in the same shoes? Is this a rejection :oops:
2/8 I'm already bracing myself for it lol. Wish someone from my day would post that they got accepted so I can get closure haha

FYI, interviewed Feb 20th and was told that the committee is meeting today with phone calls hopefully tomorrow. Not sure if waitlist emails will go out the same day but hopefully there will be some action tomorrow! Best of luck everyone!

Question for current students: How is the gym situation?

Is there a student gym and how much does it cost? I'm debating whether to get a 24 hr Fitness membership right now (I live in another city), and want to see if it's worth keeping that membership while at Keck!

Has anyone who already set up their myUSC account and uploaded the Financial Aid Supplement still seeing that you need to submit FAFSA, even if you already did?

Has anyone who already set up their myUSC account and uploaded the Financial Aid Supplement still seeing that you need to submit FAFSA, even if you already did?

Had his issue so I called, turns out they didn't have my SSN associated to my account or something. FAFSA was received the next day. Might be worth a call

Had his issue so I called, turns out they didn't have my SSN associated to my account or something. FAFSA was received the next day. Might be worth a call
Called myself and had the same issue!

Question for current students: How is the gym situation?

Is there a student gym and how much does it cost? I'm debating whether to get a 24 hr Fitness membership right now (I live in another city), and want to see if it's worth keeping that membership while at Keck!
I'm not a current med student here, but I have many friends who go here. The gym that is provided tomed students (and other graduate students I believe) is really nice. It's not Equinox level, but it's better than the YCMA and 24 hr fitness I have in my area. You also have access to the undergrad gym which is even better but it's further and busier. If you live in Currie Hall, there's also a small gym there which is good enough for a full body weightlift workout or cardio session. IMO, I don't think you need another gym membership.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Nothing yet... they call it the waiting game but it's a lot less entertaining than most of the games I've played in life.

I was also interviewed on 2/20 and didn't get any calls/emails yesterday. Dean Arias said that if she managed to get materials out to committee by Friday(?), then they would meet Monday. Perhaps, they weren't ready yet to make decisions about people interviewed on 2/20. (I'm hoping that's why I didn't get a call...)

Anyone have tips for interview day that’d they’d like to share? I’m surprised I even got an II here and would REALLY love not to become a reapplicant. Thank you in advance!

Anyone have tips for interview day that’d they’d like to share? I’m surprised I even got an II here and would REALLY love not to become a reapplicant. Thank you in advance!

It’s super chill, talk to your fellow interviewees, have a good time and be yourself. You may or may not get roasted if you say a certain buzz words like “underserved”; I got roasted and I thought it was hilarious. But also note that I haven’t heard back since interview, so take this advice at your own risk.

Reactions: 2 users