2018-2019 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who interviewed in February hear back yet?
Still waiting. Wondering if A's have been given but no one is posting. Neuroticism through the roof right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Only one person has stated they were accepted on here in the past month and a half. What's up Keck lol!

*silently begs Keck to get an acceptance off the waitlist*

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed last week, Dr. Arias said that the class was pretty much full and that they had a meeting yesterday, but not sure when next committee meeting will be. Low key feel like we're just all going to be waitlisted unless truly exceptional :(

When I interviewed last week, Dr. Arias said that the class was pretty much full and that they had a meeting yesterday, but not sure when next committee meeting will be. Low key feel like we're just all going to be waitlisted unless truly exceptional :(
This is super disheartening consider the $$ I dropped for an interview tomorrow LOL

:( I feel you

At least the interviews were so chill and the tour was fun! Hope you have time before your flight to check out to eat LA food!

Well, you never know how many of those people are going to drop their acceptance by April 30! Never lose hope!

Reactions: 1 user
When I interviewed last week, Dr. Arias said the committee meets every two weeks on Mondays, and that decisions go out the next day. Since we all didn't hear today, we will have to wait and see on 3/19.

To my group, she said that late interviews do not mean waitlist spots, that we had equal chances of anyone else in the cycle... I'm going to hold on to that even though the evidence says otherwise...

When I interviewed last week, Dr. Arias said the committee meets every two weeks on Mondays, and that decisions go out the next day. Since we all didn't hear today, we will have to wait and see on 3/19.

To my group, she said that late interviews do not mean waitlist spots, that we had equal chances of anyone else in the cycle... I'm going to hold on to that even though the evidence says otherwise...

Someone else who interveiwed last weeek said that Dr. Arias said the class was full.

One of ya’ll is trolling.

I certainly wish I was trolling--Dean Arias told this to us when we had the first interview session in her office that her class was pretty much complete, and that the committee would meet March 4 (yesterday), but she does not know when would be the next one after that.
I mean, since we are Feb/March interviewees, more likely than not they have a lot of As already (the fb group is at 280 people for 2023). Our best hope would be a large chunk of those kids receive full rides to Harvard Med :p

I certainly wish I was trolling--Dean Arias told this to us when we had the first interview session in her office that her class was pretty much complete, and that the committee would meet March 4 (yesterday), but she does not know when would be the next one after that.
I mean, since we are Feb/March interviewees, more likely than not they have a lot of As already (the fb group is at 280 people for 2023). Our best hope would be a large chunk of those kids receive full rides to Harvard Med :p
Do you know how many acceptances they give out? (I lost MSAR access and don’t want to buy it again lol)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know how many acceptances they give out? (I lost MSAR access and don’t want to buy it again lol)

Couldn't find information about number of acceptances on MSAR.
Other relevant acceptance data found on MSAR:
8099 verified applications, 728 interviewed, 5 deferred, 5 MD/PhD, 184 Matriculated
variable number of waitlist positions per cycle, 0 acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist.
Deposit accepted starting May 1st, due May 15th.
Classes begin August 07, 2019

Hopefully there will be more WL movement this year than what MSAR says.

Couldn't find information about number of acceptances on MSAR.
Other relevant acceptance data found on MSAR:
8099 verified applications, 728 interviewed, 5 deferred, 5 MD/PhD, 184 Matriculated
variable number of waitlist positions per cycle, 0 acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist.
Deposit accepted starting May 1st, due May 15th.
Classes begin August 07, 2019

Hopefully there will be more WL movement this year than what MSAR says.
why does it say "0 acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist"?

why does it say "0 acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist"?
Means that they didn't accept anyone from the waitlist because their class was full without using the waitlist. It varies from year to year, but there's not a whole lot of waitlist movement for USC. Might be different this year because of new traffic rules.

Let me just say that I LOVE this school. It was my top choice, and after I got accepted, I cancelled my other interviews. I am beyond stoked!

But I am disturbed by all the scandal going on, including the brand new lawsuit against the men's health doc at USC student clinic. It is disturbing at face value, of course, but I also worry that if these scandals continue, they may affect quality of medical education and residency placement.

Perhaps the administration should offer some reassurance...

Let me just say that I LOVE this school. It was my top choice, and after I got accepted, I cancelled my other interviews. I am beyond stoked!

But I am disturbed by all the scandal going on, including the brand new lawsuit against the men's health doc at USC student clinic. It is disturbing at face value, of course, but I also worry that if these scandals continue, they may affect quality of medical education and residency placement.

That specific issue shouldn't affect the medical education at all because that is a case related to the undergraduate campus health center and what they do there doesn't impact how the health science campus operates. And if it makes you feel any better, last year's match results were as good as ever even after the med school Dean scandals that went down last school year. And that happened right in the middle of the residency interviews season.

yah I think we'd really benefit from some reassurance in the form of $$$

Reactions: 4 users
Means that they didn't accept anyone from the waitlist because their class was full without using the waitlist. It varies from year to year, but there's not a whole lot of waitlist movement for USC. Might be different this year because of new traffic rules.
According to last year's thread, they accepted at least a couple people off of the waitlist though so I think MSAR is wrong or not updated. I also saw a spreadsheet going around with the USNews info and iirc it said around 400 people are usually accepted so if they are doing less acceptances this year hopefully there will be more waitlist movement for those of yall who got waitlisted!

hmm im thinking that 0 is not accurate based on last year’s thread where people were accepted in may. also dean arias kinda hinted that theyre receptive to LOIs which would only come from waitlisted people right?

I interviewed yesterday so I thought I’d update the thread with what I know in case it helps someone.
Yesterday was the last interview date. The Adcom is meeting next Monday at 3ish. Calls should be on Tuesday. No LOI until May 1 if you hold multiple acceptances but Keck is your #1 choice. She did not mention anything about later interviews being for spots on the waitlist, but also did not say we had an equal chance of getting in compared to early interviewers haha.

I interviewed in early February and still haven’t heard back. Sorry to be neurotic.. this is my top choice and waiting has been difficult. Anyone else in the same boat and have an idea why we haven’t heard back yet but others have?

I interviewed in early February and still haven’t heard back. Sorry to be neurotic.. this is my top choice and waiting has been difficult. Anyone else in the same boat and have an idea why we haven’t heard back yet but others have?
Same boat but no idea what's going on.

I interviewed on January 15, and did not hear back from the school until this Tuesday. I got an acceptance, so hope for the best all. It took them 7 weeks to get back to me. Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed on January 15, and did not hear back from the school until this Tuesday. I got an acceptance, so hope for the best all. It took them 6 weeks to get back to me. Best of luck to everyone!

We love you. Thanks

Placed on alternate list just now. Interviewed 2/5

+1 waitlist interview 2/26
I only had one interview this cycle so I guess I’m done for good

Alternate list as well 3/6 Interview. This may be a stupid question but what exactly is an unranked waitlist and how do they select people off the waitlist?

+1 alt list, interviewed 2/26.

Do we still send an LOI if no other acceptances, or will there be an acceptance report put out after 4/30? I know for previous years we did not but if no acceptance list...

+1 alt list, interviewed 2/26.

Do we still send an LOI if no other acceptances, or will there be an acceptance report put out after 4/30? I know for previous years we did not but if no acceptance list...

As far as I remember, we can’t :’{

alt list 2/8. future uncertainty is hard. I wish you all the best of luck! esp those w/o A's. you aren't alone!

Waitlisted also
Interviewed 3/6.
Looks like nearly everyone with later interviews was waitlisted...?
And I guess they don’t want updates till After April 30?

Waitlisted also
Interviewed 3/6.
Looks like nearly everyone with later interviews was waitlisted...?
And I guess they don’t want updates till After April 30?

IIRC, no updates whatsoever, but you can write after 4/30 to inform them of your intention to enroll if accepted if you have other acceptances

Offered full tuition scholarship this week! I know people were wondering if they were still giving out merit scholarships, so wanted to report.

Reactions: 2 users
Current student here checking in to answer any questions y'all might have. Good luck with your applications!

Have people received their financial aid packages yet? If so, when did you finish all of the documentation?

Current student here checking in to answer any questions y'all might have. Good luck with your applications!
Are there solid places to eat and have fun within walking distance of campus/Currie Hall?

Are there solid places to eat and have fun within walking distance of campus/Currie Hall?

Within walking distance? Not really, tbh. We usually have lunch covered via the near-daily catered lunch talks or grab something at the hospital using our student discount. There's also plenty of food trucks that come through daily and the farmer's market on Thursdays.

When I hang out with my friends who live in Currie, we usually meet up in Alhambra or Downtown (15 and 10 mins away, respectively) since that's where the closest non-fast food restaurants are.

Do any students have an idea of how this years’ Match conpares with previous years? They havent released a list yet, just some by-the-numbers stuff