2018-2019 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When is this school’s commit to enroll date?

Members don't see this ad.

Question for current students, do you see a lot of celebrity patients during your clinical experiences? What about people in the entertainment industry in general?

(This should never be a reason to pick a school, but I'm just curious)

this is pretty discomforting

“The ACGME also took the rare step of imposing immediate probation on Los Angeles County and USC, which together sponsor more than 60 programs with hundreds of medical residents and fellows, including the troubled cardiovascular disease fellowship.”

Man, there have been more than a handful of really bad scandals lately. Also looks like all the programs are on probation now?? What does this mean for future students?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why is USC leadership to corrupt?

Reading the court documents and learning about the coverup and the egregious disdain for the the health and safety of the residents and fellows. What else is hiding underneath the rug for this and other institutions. The repeat offense across programs and thinking about the suffering of the victims puts an extremely bitter taste in my mouth and it is actually disturbing and frightening.

Reactions: 1 users
Quick question for current students. Is it possible to live in Downtown? Isn’t it like 3 miles away?

In defense of Keck, the leadership in the medical school is new and much improved. I don't think USC's scandalous history will negatively affect your medical education at Keck moving forward.

Got accepted to my dream school! I'll be withdrawing! Good luck to everyone!

In defense of Keck, the leadership in the medical school is new and much improved. I don't think USC's scandalous history will negatively affect your medical education at Keck moving forward.

The cardiology incident affected the hospital, didn’t it?

This is kind of last minute but just to clarify, can we submit LOI’s if we were waitlisted even if we have no other acceptances?

In the folder we got on interview day it says “If you should receive a waitlist decision from our school, but would like to attend Keck School of Medicine of USC, you may send a brief letter of intent email on April 30th. The email can be sent to medadmit @usc.edu. Please enter “Waitlist Letter of Intent” in the subject line and include your name and AAMC ID in the body of the email.”

It doesn’t say anything about not being allowed to send it LOI’s if we don’t have other acceptances?? People on this forum are saying otherwise lmao what is the truth?

Members don't see this ad :)
Should we send the LOI email on april 30 or May 1? The email I received says “after April 30” yet the folder says “on April 30.” I don’t want to be too eager but also want them to know how much I’d love to attend!

This is kind of last minute but just to clarify, can we submit LOI’s if we were waitlisted even if we have no other acceptances?

In the folder we got on interview day it says “If you should receive a waitlist decision from our school, but would like to attend Keck School of Medicine of USC, you may send a brief letter of intent email on April 30th. The email can be sent to medadmit @usc.edu. Please enter “Waitlist Letter of Intent” in the subject line and include your name and AAMC ID in the body of the email.”

It doesn’t say anything about not being allowed to send it LOI’s if we don’t have other acceptances?? People on this forum are saying otherwise lmao what is the truth?

Dr. Arias made it very clear on interview day she only wants LOIs if you have other acceptances, otherwise they assume you want to go there.

Reactions: 1 user
Just withdrew. It was a tough decision, but hopefully my spot (and scholarship money!) goes to one of you waiting on that acceptance call!

Reactions: 5 users
Just withdrew. It was a tough decision, but hopefully my spot (and scholarship money!) goes to one of you waiting on that acceptance call!

You will do extremely well no matter where you go. You are an amazing individual and I wish you all the best with your career and family :)

Does anyone know the length Dean wants for the LOI. I looked at the past couple years, and people are saying it needs to be super brief. Also, are you guys giving up substantial money to go to USC over your current acceptance?

Does anyone know the length Dean wants for the LOI. I looked at the past couple years, and people are saying it needs to be super brief. Also, are you guys giving up substantial money to go to USC over your current acceptance?
short and sweet. Dr. Arias said one to two sentences will do

I know its only been like 4 days but...any waitlist movement yet?? lmao

Is an LOI necessary to remain on the WL if were holding another acceptance? I'm also on the WL at my top choice but would attend USC over my current acceptance. Or is the LOI just to say we want to stay on the WL?

Last edited:
Is an LOI necessary to remain on the WL if were holding another acceptance? I'm on the WL at my top choice but would attend USC over my current acceptance. Or is the LOI just to say we want to stay on the WL?
If you would take USC over your current acceptance, you should let them know

Is an LOI necessary to remain on the WL if were holding another acceptance? I'm also on the WL at my top choice but would attend USC over my current acceptance. Or is the LOI just to say we want to stay on the WL?

I have a few questions but I was unable to PM you. Can you please PM me?

For those of you that sent a letter of intent, did you receive a confirmation email or just the automatic reply?

I received an actual confirmation email from someone from the admissions committee the day after I emailed mine in.

+1 for the email confirmation

Has anyone heard word from this waitlist and/or news about the admissions committee meeting? Awfully quiet :(

+1 for the email confirmation

Has anyone heard word from this waitlist and/or news about the admissions committee meeting? Awfully quiet :(

Haven't heard anything, and it's stressing me out! I did get a response email when I sent an LOI on Apr 30

In last year's thread, no one got the call until second week of May, and then there were a good number of acceptances late May-mid June.

There is still hope, guys!!

For the accepted students, has anyone paid the deposit yet? I dont see the link on the orientation site.. is it because the link still isnt working ?

And also, has anyone received their fin aid package?

For the accepted students, has anyone paid the deposit yet? I dont see the link on the orientation site.. is it because the link still isnt working ?

And also, has anyone received their fin aid package?
I got my finaid before the April 30th deadline. Haven’t paid the deposit yet

Weirdly quiet... I'm assuming were not going to have to wait until commit to enroll deadlines to start seeing movement?

Anyone know when the commit to enroll deadline is for Keck? (I've already done Plan to Enroll, but wanna make sure I dont miss a CTE deadline)

Do you know any wait list movements started? I’m a mother , my daughter is in waiting list. I’m reading everyday how stressful all of you are in WL. This is so sad to see these smart kids getting mentally exhausted. My daughter has 517, cgpa 3.83 she has very good extra curricular acitivities also research publications. She worked so hard for her dream, since she was in middle school and she loves Keck medical school. It’s hard me to see her sad face which she tries to hide from us. As parents we are also very disappointed about this unpredictable and unorganized medical school admission system in whole country. Something missing in this system. I wish all the best to accepted and wait listed students! A mom.

Reactions: 7 users
Do you know any wait list movements started? I’m a mother , my daughter is in waiting list. I’m reading everyday how stressful all of you are in WL. This is so sad to see these smart kids getting mentally exhausted. My daughter has 517, cgpa 3.83 she has very good extra curricular acitivities also research publications. She worked so hard for her dream, since she was in middle school and she loves Keck medical school. It’s hard me to see her sad face which she tries to hide from us. As parents we are also very disappointed about this unpredictable and unorganized medical school admission system in whole country. Something missing in this system. I wish all the best to accepted and wait listed students! A mom.

Previous poster claims waitlist movement is Mid May to early June.

Anyone else a little worried about the deadline for the Intent to Enroll deposit? Did they say for sure that the deadline for the PayPal link would be extended since they don’t want checks?

Anyone else a little worried about the deadline for the Intent to Enroll deposit? Did they say for sure that the deadline for the PayPal link would be extended since they don’t want checks?
It's hard to say, but according to the email they sent out Sunday morning: "We anticipate that it will be posted and ready to receive deposits by May 15. However, if the posting of the link is delayed, we will extend the deadline by a few days in order to accommodate the submission of the deposits". I guess it really depends on whether or not they fix the issue by tomorrow.

Does anyone know when Keck's CTE date is or is the deposit essentially their non-official CTE? Hoping for some waitlist movement soon.

“Some students are wondering how to communicate their intent/commitment to enroll at USC. If students know that they will matriculate to the Keck School of Medicine of USC, they will submit a $500 non-refundable deposit by May 15, 2019. The paypal link to submit the deposit will become available on the Orientation website on May 1st (we cannot accept any deposits on or before April 30th ). This deposit will be applied to tuition. Students may remain on the waitlists of other schools, however the deposit is non-refundable if a student decides to withdraw after the deposit has been made. Though the AAMC has created a Choose your Medical School Tool, the primary, official method of communication during this process takes place between an applicant and a school. This tool is intended to supplement, not replace, that communication.”

This is what they emailed us. So i think 5/15 was the unofficial CTE date but they extended the deadline because of issues with the paypal link.

“Some students are wondering how to communicate their intent/commitment to enroll at USC. If students know that they will matriculate to the Keck School of Medicine of USC, they will submit a $500 non-refundable deposit by May 15, 2019. The paypal link to submit the deposit will become available on the Orientation website on May 1st (we cannot accept any deposits on or before April 30th ). This deposit will be applied to tuition. Students may remain on the waitlists of other schools, however the deposit is non-refundable if a student decides to withdraw after the deposit has been made. Though the AAMC has created a Choose your Medical School Tool, the primary, official method of communication during this process takes place between an applicant and a school. This tool is intended to supplement, not replace, that communication.”

This is what they emailed us. So i think 5/15 was the unofficial CTE date but they extended the deadline because of issues with the paypal link.
Well it seems like you can still remain on waitlists so it wouldn't be the CTE deadline