2018-2019 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II!

To those asking about the optional essay: They're giving you a free chance to talk more about yourself. ALWAYS take the opportunity to write something here. Say something unique, address a red flag they might find in your app, or say why you'd be a good fit at the school.

Members don't see this ad.

II!

To those asking about the optional essay: They're giving you a free chance to talk more about yourself. ALWAYS take the opportunity to write something here. Say something unique, address a red flag they might find in your app, or say why you'd be a good fit at the school.
congrats! when were you complete and what are your stats?

I completely missed the optional prompt, I would've loved to add something there. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview!!! :D :D Submitted 7/8 and to answer some previous posters, I didn't answer the optional essay :) just my two cents but I feel like if schools wanted a why this school essay then they would have asked

Last edited:
Seems like the complete date isn't correlating to the interview invite date? Or i guess they have a different priority in how they review apps other than complete date

Reactions: 1 user
Seems like the complete date isn't correlating to the interview invite date? Or i guess they have a different priority in how they review apps other than complete date
Yes, the methods for sorting and reviewing apps is different for every school and much more complex than just review them in order of receipt and send II or not. There are rankings, certain apps get accelerated, some schools separate sections for blind ratings, etc. Just because you're not in the first wave of II's means nothing for your long term success, just be patient

Reactions: 12 users
Are you guys approaching the power question as having super powers or do they mean something along the lines of having political/wealth/connections power?

Thank you in advance!

Are you guys approaching the power question as having super powers or do they mean something along the lines of having political/wealth/connections power?

Thank you in advance!

I think either interpretation works. I answered as if I had superpowers.

But I don't have an II, so take what I say with a grain of salt!

Last edited:
I think either interpretation works. I answered as if I had superpowers.

But I don't have an II, so take what I say with a grain of salt!
yeah thats what i was leaning towards so I guess we'll see!
Thank youuu

Thank you in advance!

I didn’t really think of it in either way. I thought of it much broader: if I could end something, ignoring how exactly it is ended so superpower, economic, political, wealth didn’t matter

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does Keck have options for international electives?

Does Keck have options for international electives?
There are opportunities for international electives during 4th year, though I don't exactly know how everything is set-up. I think Keck has hospital affiliations in China, Japan, Korea and Chile, and also they can guide you through the process of applying to the global health learning opportunities through the AAMC.

Did anyone with II not answer the optional question? Just wondering if it's better to leave blank instead of writing why USC

Got a II and left it blank! Didn't feel the need to expand more. OOS, ORM, LM 74-76, received II one week after being complete. Honestly, I'm surprised because I wasn't even that fun with my responses (except the nickname).

Two weeks after the receipt of this secondary I finally submitted.

II just now!!!! Completely ecstatic! Definitely one of my top choices! Complete 7/26(!!!!) ~70 LizzyM

Edit: also didn't answer optional essay. Just adding this since I noticed people were asking about this earlier.

II just now!!!! Completely ecstatic! Definitely one of my top choices! Complete 7/26(!!!!) ~70 LizzyM

Edit: also didn't answer optional essay. Just adding this since I noticed people were asking about this earlier.
wow congrats!! so you were complete yesterday and got an interview today? your app must have been on point! are you IS or OOS?

wow congrats!! so you were complete yesterday and got an interview today? your app must have been on point! are you IS or OOS?
Yeah, incredibly fast! Super shocked! OOS

Has anyone run into the issue of the application fee transaction not immediately posting before submission? It said there was some error and the payment could not complete, but there are charges I can see on my bank account... I'm just nervously twiddling my thumbs because I want to submit asap today but I can't until the fee goes through. Would appreciate any feedback, thanks!

I've called & emailed, and let's just say they haven't been as helpful as expected, sigh.

Are you IS or have obvious ties to the school? I usually like to keep the secondaries short and concise but debating using the optional essay for a why Keck because I'm OOS and stats above 90 percentile so I feel like I need to prove my interest

Edit: sorry just saw the other post saying you're OOS. Any obvious ties to the school/area?

Are you IS or have obvious ties to the school? I usually like to keep the secondaries short and concise but debating using the optional essay for a why Keck because I'm OOS and stats above 90 percentile so I feel like I need to prove my interest

Edit: sorry just saw the other post saying you're OOS. Any obvious ties to the school/area?
No ties! I didn't answer the optional essay. I believe I align well with their mission and that's why this is one of my top schools!

Last edited:
Has anyone run into the issue of the application fee transaction not immediately posting before submission? It said there was some error and the payment could not complete, but there are charges I can see on my bank account... I'm just nervously twiddling my thumbs because I want to submit asap today but I can't until the fee goes through. Would appreciate any feedback, thanks!

I've called & emailed, and let's just say they haven't been as helpful as expected, sigh.
So I actually had this same exact issue (used my Discover card). After speaking with them and waiting a few days with nothing changing I went ahead and used my debit card to pay the fee, which went through. I was planning on calling Discover to cancel the transaction, as it never left the "processing" status, but after paying with my other card it disappeared from my statement (within a couple days). I would recommend trying a different card and then dealing with whoever you used to pay initially to cancel the first transaction.

For those of you who got IIs, did you ever receive an email telling you your application was complete or under review? I submitted on the 4th and my portal says that my application is under review, but I never received any emails from them

I got "supplemental application received" and "application complete" emails before I got the interview invite email. I wouldn't worry too much though as long as your portal is up to date. But considering you have missed emails, probably can't hurt to keep an eye on your portal so that you don't miss an II!

anyone else experience difficulty with submitting payment?

Did anyone with II not answer the optional question? Just wondering if its better to leave blank instead of writing why USC
Got II 3 days ago. 3.3/3.4 - 517 - did a Masters 4.0

I left my optional one blank.

I'd only put a short what you're doing next year if don't have any new or interesting info.

Got II 3 days ago. 3.3/3.4 - 517 - did a Masters 4.0

I left my optional one blank.

I'd only put a short what you're doing next year if don't have any new or interesting info.
complete day/IS?

II just now (first one)!!!!!!!!! Submitted this morning at 9 am and got the complete email a couple minutes later.

Reactions: 6 users