2018-2019 University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
9 people have been offered acceptance off the waitlist so far. Here's to hoping for a lot more movement....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard of more waitlist acceptances?

Reactions: 2 users

"YALL GOT ANYMORE OF THEM ACCEPTANCES!???"

Reactions: 3 users
It's been awfully quiet on here lately.
This plus their statement that the majority of acceptances issued to the alternative list occurs in early May makes me feel much less confident, even being in the top third.

That statement is for past years. Not sure you can rely too much on that with the way the cycle is now.

Reactions: 1 user
Well there was a wave of acceptances just given out starting like the 10th right? If they have two weeks or whatever amount of time it was to decide, there should be at least some movement coming like next week.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The final decision letters went out a week later than last year's did (not sure about 2+ years ago). I also spoke with Strother this week in asking about my waitlist position and he said that it is still relatively early for waitlist movement at UT, even though other schools are later in their process.

Anyone else been lucky enough to get a call or hear anything else about the movement of the list?

Can’t wait to be lucky enough to tell my kids one day that I made the top third waitlist at an in state medical school as I work as a plumber. Isn’t god good.

Just wanted to give people an update. I got a call from Strother this morning, and I’m off the waitlist. I didn’t ask about how many people had gotten in, but he told me I was in the top 20 of the waitlist a couple weeks ago. Good luck to everyone waiting!! I know it sucks

Reactions: 4 users
Received an award this morning. God is so good.

Last edited:
Pretty quiet around here lately... anyone hear of additional waitlist movement?

As of today, it is 24. Two weeks ago, it was 22.

Dang...slow moving compared to previous years. I wonder if the admissions office is thinking they will still eventually take about 60 off the list?

Dang...slow moving compared to previous years. I wonder if the admissions office is thinking they will still eventually take about 60 off the list?
You have to assume the new traffic rules and increased competitiveness of MD programs has contributed. They may have offered more people off the "hold" category this year as well.

26 offers have been made to date. The list is moving, slowly.

Hey guys, looking for some moral support here. Is anyone else feeling cold feet/very nervous about starting in August? Thinking it would help to know I’m not to only one (...or maybe I am). :cryi:

“Acceptance is the answer to all my problems”
Hey guys, looking for some moral support here. Is anyone else feeling cold feet/very nervous about starting in August? Thinking it would help to know I’m not to only one (...or maybe I am). :cryi:

Definitely feeling like that too! So many mixed emotions. But I can speak for myself that I will be there for support if anyone needs it. Just please have my back as well lol

Medical school is going to be hard, but if you put the time in you will be fine. As someone who got rejected last year, being nervous about starting is a much better feeling than having to reapply. There's thousands of people that would kill to have an acceptance from UT. Hope that helps

Reactions: 3 users
I definitely feel nervous about starting. I'll be at ETSU but I totally feel you.

Frankly, I’m gonna live my life and maybe I’ll get in and be school in August.

Who knows, this could be THE year stars align and doesn’t work out, but I’ll still have my life.

On the waitlist acceptance letter, it was said that the majority of applicants would be contacted by July 1st if it did not look like they would be accepted off the waitlist. Has anyone been contacted about that?

On the waitlist acceptance letter, it was said that the majority of applicants would be contacted by July 1st if it did not look like they would be accepted off the waitlist. Has anyone been contacted about that?
Maybe they’re going to be sending something in the mail?

With all the CTEs coming, doesn’t seem like this list is gonna move much. Oh well ‍♂️

29 offers made as of this afternoon

Probably fast in the beginning. I know that it’s been in the 20s for 1.5 months

For all those recently accepted, message me if youre looking for a last minute place to live! We just had a spot open up in our four bedroom town-home

Welp, got the *admission unlikely* letter in the mail. Best of luck to the rest of you. I’ll be back for the 2020 cycle though ✌

M2 here! Happy to answer any questions anyone has about UT. Good luck with this application cycle!

Hi! I am applying in the 2019-2020 cycle as an OOS applicant and wanted to ask for any advice or knowledge about the whole process! I have good metrics (LizzyM score = 83), but I don't have a connection to UTHSC. My only possible tie is that my bf goes to grad school in Memphis. Do you think that's enough to be a competitive OOS applicant?

Hi! I am applying in the 2019-2020 cycle as an OOS applicant and wanted to ask for any advice or knowledge about the whole process! I have good metrics (LizzyM score = 83), but I don't have a connection to UTHSC. My only possible tie is that my bf goes to grad school in Memphis. Do you think that's enough to be a competitive OOS applicant?

1) “good metrics” is the understatement of the century since you have somewhere between a 525-528 MCAT and 3.8-4.0 GPA
2) given that...I think that is enough to be a competitive OOS applicant...

@bullydoc The only problem would be that you need to really sell wanting to go there a ton. If you don't they will just pass you over. A lot of schools like memphis and others in their range won't take/accept that competitive of applicants because they think of it as a waste of time since none of those people usually end up choosing there. I know that sounds douchey but it is true

@bullydoc The only problem would be that you need to really sell wanting to go there a ton. If you don't they will just pass you over. A lot of schools like memphis and others in their range won't take/accept that competitive of applicants because they think of it as a waste of time since none of those people usually end up choosing there. I know that sounds douchey but it is true

I would agree in general but @bullydoc has a reasonable tie to go to UTHSC so I think their concerns of yield protection are less valid. Other than blood relatives in the area, a long-term SO is about as legitimate and believable as a reason as there is to choose a particular school.

1) “good metrics” is the understatement of the century since you have somewhere between a 525-528 MCAT and 3.8-4.0 GPA
2) given that...I think that is enough to be a competitive OOS applicant...

Thank you for your reply! Any support right now is much appreciated!