2018-2019 University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II - complete 8/28

Members don't see this ad.

II
OOS
Complete in August

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Do you have strong ties to the school or state? I was under the impression that UTHSC didn't give out many OOS interviews
I don’t think I’ve even flown over the state to be honest

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Do you have strong ties to the school or state? I was under the impression that UTHSC didn't give out many OOS interviews

I’m OOS and I interviewed beginning of this week (complete mid-October). I have incredibly strong state ties, but the only thing that was brought up during my interview about not being from Tennessee was the increased tuition for non-residents.

OOS II at 10pm!! lol I didn't know they send invites this late

Complete in August

Last edited:
ACCEPTED!!

my first acceptance to possibly my top choice!! I cried.

OOS, complete 8/28, interviewed 10/29!

Reactions: 4 users
II yesterday but withdrawing my app, good luck guys!

To those who have interviewed, were the academic and personal interviews different from each other besides the fact that one had your GPA/MCAT? Like did they specifically ask you questions about your transcript, or was it about the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who have interviewed, were the academic and personal interviews different from each other besides the fact that one had your GPA/MCAT? Like did they specifically ask you questions about your transcript, or was it about the same?
They were different for the most part. I got more general questions about my extra curriculars and ethical questions in the personal interview. In my academic interview, the interviewer mentioned my grades a bit, but I still got a lot of questions about “why medicine” in that interview as well. It felt like my academic interview had a bit more serious note to it, but that may have just been because I got grilled about my financials a few times but that may just be because I’m OOS. You most likely won’t have the same pair of interviewers as anyone else interviewing that day, so everyone’s interview experience will be a little different.

Wondering if anyone knows if more interview invites will be sent out before the holidays?

Has anyone that interviewed in late November/early December received a decision letter yet?

Wondering if anyone knows if more interview invites will be sent out before the holidays?
This Wednesday is their last interview date and start again on January 7th per their website.

Has anyone that interviewed in late November/early December received a decision letter yet?

They said they were meeting last Friday during my interview after Thanksgiving and mailing out decisions this Friday. I’m not sure if anyone in interview dates have heard anything different, but that’s the timeline I’m working off of at the moment.

Reactions: 1 users
This Wednesday is their last interview date and start again on January 7th per their website.

They said they were meeting last Friday during my interview after Thanksgiving and mailing out decisions this Friday. I’m not sure if anyone in interview dates have heard anything different, but that’s the timeline I’m working off of at the moment.

That was the same timeline they told me, and my interview was the first week of December. Wondering if they have started putting everyone "on hold" yet.

At my interview this week, Ms. Harris said they would be making decisions this Friday and letters will be sent next Friday. She said though if you don't get the survey email then that probably means she didn't get around to sending the letters yet. But she sounded pretty optimistic about decision letters being sent next Friday (12/21)!

I just got the letter that I was placed "on hold" :(.

My interview felt like the best of mine so far...so I am really disappointed. This is my top choice too. I thought this was a fairly decent time to interview (not late), so I don't know what went wrong. At least I have heard a lot of people come off the waitlist at UTHSC. Gonna be a long spring...

IS, LizzyM: 72
They pull like 50+ people from that list each year. If you end up in the top third then you have a good chance at being accepted.

Anyone else complete the "secondary" in late September and have yet to receive an II? I'm IS.

Acceptance today! I’m incredibly excited that this 4 year journey has actually paid off! Good luck to everyone else and happy holidays!

Reactions: 6 users
And the results are in.....
LoH-copy-e1426074790280.jpg

Yes, I completed mine in early Sept and haven't heard back yet. Still hoping that the semi-confirmed rumor that secondary = interview is holding for this cycle
I've read from several sources this is true. However, I wouldn't be surprised if II's go out slower than usual due to the new traffic laws causing med schools to admit more conservatively. I'm holding on to this and hope!

Does anyone have interview advice for this school?

MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!! I'm still in shock right now! God is good

Reactions: 5 users
I tried to pm you, can you message me?

Congrats on your acceptance. Can you please tell me a bit information regarding your interview experience? What to expect on the interview day? Any hard questions they asked during interview? Tied to pm you, but not sure how that works. Thanks!

Congrats on your acceptance. Can you please tell me a bit information regarding your interview experience? What to expect on the interview day? Any hard questions they asked during interview? Tied to pm you, but not sure how that works. Thanks!
LoL sorry I changed my settings, check your messages :)

Does UT frown upon rescheduling interviews? Got an interview invite tonight but planning to leave the country at 11AM tomorrow. Do I have to cancel my flight if I want a chance?

Does UT frown upon rescheduling interviews? Got an interview invite tonight but planning to leave the country at 11AM tomorrow. Do I have to cancel my flight if I want a chance?
They seemed to be very accommodating when a friend of mine had to reschedule his interview last month.

Would it be dumb to send a letter of interest before getting a secondary...?

Does UT accept updates? email? I got a secondary in August, but nothing since then!

Yes, they are very open to updates via email.
Is the email Dean Strother's email for updates?

I sent an update this morning ~10am and got an II this afternoon!

Last edited:
Interviewed last year and was put on the alternate list. I applied much earlier in the cycle this year and have yet to receive a secondary. Should I be concerned by this?

Interviewed last year and was put on the alternate list. I applied much earlier in the cycle this year and have yet to receive a secondary. Should I be concerned by this?
you should send a meaningful update! They don't have enough staff in admissions and you hopefully just fell through the cracks.

Has Memphis extended their interview timeline? I thought originally it said through the end of March but now the website says through the end of April

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have they sent out any rejection letters so far? I haven't received any update on my application....

Would call or email Dean Strother

Applied later this cycle and haven't received secondary yet. Should I contact Dean Strother or just wait it out?