2018-2019 University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does UT have an acceptance counter?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my primary in October and have heard nothing back yet. I have been rejected from every other school I applied to which I assumed would happen due to applying late. I am a state resident and this school has always been my first choice, should I email them or just keep waiting?

I submitted my primary in October and have heard nothing back yet. I have been rejected from every other school I applied to which I assumed would happen due to applying late. I am a state resident and this school has always been my first choice, should I email them or just keep waiting?
Email, can't hurt. Shows interest. Would be best if you emailed with an update, classes, grades, awards, clinical experience, etc. What is your LizzyM if you don't mind sharing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an II. Primary was verified on 8/9 and secondary was submitted in late September.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed in December. One interview went really well, and one went really poorly. When the Committee met, they were undecided what to do with me, and so they asked me to come back for a third interview. That interviewer explained that the Committee was torn on my application and that they wanted to get one more person's opinion. The third interview seemed to go very well. Then I received a letter today saying that my application was placed on hold. Can anyone help me understand what this means? Is it positive, is it negative? Should I assume it's a soft rejection? Is there anything I can do to get off the hold list? I thought about retaking the MCAT in April. My score was a 514 but I really think I can do better (126/130/128/130), especially in Chemistry/Physics and get closer to a 518-520.

GPA is a 3.6 overall, 4.0 science GPA. All of my classes the last 2 years were a 4.0 also, and I am an in-state student. I don't have many upper division science classes though and took all my sciences at community college.

EC's: I've been on the board of 2 nonprofits, run my own business for 3 years, am a whitewater kayaking instructor, and work currently as a nurse and as a research assistant in a lab that uses piglets as a model for premature infants.

Don't really know how to improve my application except to try to retake the MCAT and get a really awesome score instead of an average score... The big problem on my application is that I applied at the VERY end of the application cycle. Any thoughts?

For those interviewing regionally and also at the main campus, is there any clue as to which interview will be academic and which will be personal?

I interviewed in December. One interview went really well, and one went really poorly. When the Committee met, they were undecided what to do with me, and so they asked me to come back for a third interview. That interviewer explained that the Committee was torn on my application and that they wanted to get one more person's opinion. The third interview seemed to go very well. Then I received a letter today saying that my application was placed on hold. Can anyone help me understand what this means? Is it positive, is it negative? Should I assume it's a soft rejection? Is there anything I can do to get off the hold list? I thought about retaking the MCAT in April. My score was a 514 but I really think I can do better (126/130/128/130), especially in Chemistry/Physics and get closer to a 518-520.

GPA is a 3.6 overall, 4.0 science GPA. All of my classes the last 2 years were a 4.0 also, and I am an in-state student. I don't have many upper division science classes though and took all my sciences at community college.

EC's: I've been on the board of 2 nonprofits, run my own business for 3 years, am a whitewater kayaking instructor, and work currently as a nurse and as a research assistant in a lab that uses piglets as a model for premature infants.

Don't really know how to improve my application except to try to retake the MCAT and get a really awesome score instead of an average score... Thoughts?
My personal opinion is to just be patient. I think retaking a 514 might signal perfectionism. With the new traffic rules, many people are reportedly getting waitlisted. I know it's tough, but it's only January and admissions committees are tending to err conservatively. If it's any relief, my interview at ETSU went better than I imagined possible and I got waitlisted.

Reactions: 1 user

Don't really know how to improve my application except to try to retake the MCAT and get a really awesome score instead of an average score... The big problem on my application is that I applied at the VERY end of the application cycle. Any thoughts?
Personally I think retaking a 514 would be pretty risky given that it's already >90th percentile and is a great score for uthsc. Have you tried sending a letter of intent to Dean Strother, if uthsc is your top choice? I feel like a meaningful letter of intent could go a long way with your stats/ec's especially since you're instate.

I wasn't sure what the process is for sending a letter of intent but maybe that should be my first step... It is my top choice, in part because I already have research going at that institution that I would like to continue to develop as a med student.

Can you DM me?

For those interviewing regionally and also at the main campus, is there any clue as to which interview will be academic and which will be personal?

My regional interview was the personal one and I would think that would be the case for most of them.

Does anyone know when they start to send out scholarship notifications?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday! Interviewed in early January, and I'm originally from Memphis. Excited to meet all of my future classmates! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Got my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday! Interviewed in early January, and I'm originally from Memphis. Excited to meet all of my future classmates! :)
When in January??

Does anyone know when they start to send out scholarship notifications?
The 15 finalist chosen to compete for a merit scholarship will be notified in the next week or two. Final decisions are then made mid to end of February with scholarship selection program taking place in mid March.

Your stats are fine. Wouldn't retake MCAT. You're currently working as a nurse but how much clinical experience do you have long term? ALL upper level science classes at CC is a bit of a ding against you, but they did invite you for an interview. I would think you're one of the stronger hold applicants. Definitely would send a letter of interest and reiterate WHY UTHSC MEDICAL SCHOOL and emphasize passion and clinical experience. Good Luck!

I have my interview next Tuesday and I wanted to know what the average turn around was. How long does it take to hear back between the interview date and the offer of acceptance, wait list, or rejection? I have another school I applied to needing a non-refundable deposit the week after this interview. They are willing to give me an extension for the deposit but I didn't know how long I should request for. I wanted to be able to hear back from UT at Memphis first.

Your stats are fine. Wouldn't retake MCAT. You're currently working as a nurse but how much clinical experience do you have long term? ALL upper level science classes at CC is a bit of a ding against you, but they did invite you for an interview. I would think you're one of the stronger hold applicants. Definitely would send a letter of interest and reiterate WHY UTHSC MEDICAL SCHOOL and emphasize passion and clinical experience. Good Luck!

So I have about 200 hours of shadowing. I've only been working as a nurse a few months, but we did a lot of clinical hours while in school, so quite a bit. I may try to take some upper level science classes at the university this summer if it becomes necessary.... I think I will send the letter of interest. Thanks for the advice!

I have my interview next Tuesday and I wanted to know what the average turn around was. How long does it take to hear back between the interview date and the offer of acceptance, wait list, or rejection? I have another school I applied to needing a non-refundable deposit the week after this interview. They are willing to give me an extension for the deposit but I didn't know how long I should request for. I wanted to be able to hear back from UT at Memphis first.
It depends on when the committee last met. They’ll tell you the date that they’re planning on meeting and then decisions will be put in the mail the week after. Depending on how far your mailing address is and if you don’t have an incompetent postal service like I do who regularly loses mail, you should get it pretty quickly after it’s mailed.

Did you get an acceptance? How long did it take from your interview date?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you scroll up, literally on this page, you’ll see that someone interviewed the 7th and they were accepted yesterday.

did you receive a survey through email before your acceptance letter?

did you receive a survey through email before your acceptance letter?

Yup! I received the survey late on a Friday night and received the letter on Tuesday.

ACCEPTED AHHHHH :soexcited:
OOS
Interviewed January 14th

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone have any insight on the hold category?

When they finish interviews, horribly late in the cycle, they will send out any remaining acceptances to applicants they choose from the hold category. The remainder of the applicants in the holding category will be ranked on put on what they call the alternate list, which is another name for wait list. They will send out letters notifying those applicants. When that happens you can email Dean Strothers and inquire about your relative position. You'll be told either top, middle, or bottom third. Top third has a decent chance at getting offered an acceptance when someone else declines a seat offered to them. Middle and bottom third have no chance.

When they finish interviews, horribly late in the cycle, they will send out any remaining acceptances to applicants they choose from the hold category. The remainder of the applicants in the holding category will be ranked on put on what they call the alternate list, which is another name for wait list. They will send out letters notifying those applicants. When that happens you can email Dean Strothers and inquire about your relative position. You'll be told either top, middle, or bottom third. Top third has a decent chance at getting offered an acceptance when someone else declines a seat offered to them. Middle and bottom third have no chance.
Thank you so much for this info. Do you know how many end up on the hold list, or how likely you are to have a shot? It seems like it's sort of the catch-all pile for applicants. I've been really confused about what this was, so greatly appreciate the clarification you provided.

Thank you so much for this info. Do you know how many end up on the hold list, or how likely you are to have a shot? It seems like it's sort of the catch-all pile for applicants. I've been really confused about what this was, so greatly appreciate the clarification you provided.

Last year there were 170 on the alternate list (the list they make after all acceptances are sent out). The average # of offers made to that list is around 50 if I recall correctly. I think last years thread found the numbers from each year. So top third, likey but not guaranteed. Middle or bottom third, no chance.

So there's not a good way of telling you how good of a shot you have while you're in the holding category since you don't know your relative position on it. Once they make the alt list you'll have an idea.

Last year there were 170 on the alternate list (the list they make after all acceptances are sent out). The average # of offers made to that list is around 50 if I recall correctly. I think last years thread found the numbers from each year. So top third, likey but not guaranteed. Middle or bottom third, no chance.

So there's not a good way of telling you how good of a shot you have while you're in the holding category since you don't know your relative position on it. Once they make the alt list you'll have an idea.
It's in my post history if someone wants to dig through it and repost it. On average, they accept 50 people off the waitlist each year.

Can anyone brief me on what the interviews are like? I heard there are two on the same day.

Wow! So only 10 people out of 170 receive scholarships?
...Merit scholarships, yes only 10.
But there are other types of scholarships. See list on UTHSC Medical School website.

Got home from work this morning and saw a package from UTHSC marked FRAGILE. Y'all, they sent me (and others based on the note) a giant 8.5x6 in chocolate bar. I mean, I'd prefer a scholarship but this will have to do lol.

Reactions: 5 users
Got home from work this morning and saw a package from UTHSC marked FRAGILE. Y'all, they sent me (and others based on the note) a giant 8.5x6 in chocolate bar. I mean, I'd prefer a scholarship but this will have to do lol.
Is it bad that I've already eaten half of it?

Reactions: 2 users
Is it bad that I've already eaten half of it?
Absolutely not. The irony of celebrating our acceptance into medical school by eating our weight in chocolate. Absolutely worth it.

Absolutely not. The irony of celebrating our acceptance into medical school by eating our weight in chocolate. Absolutely worth it.

The chocolate is definitely worth the oos tuition :love:

Got accepted today, but didn't get my "big ass" candy bar! What the hell!