2018-2019 University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ya i'd also strongly recommend mud island, especially if you are new to Memphis. It's safe, easy to get to campus, dog friendly, not a lot of distractions. It's pretty affordable with roommates too. Midtown is tempting especially if you can find a good house, but if you don't know the area and can't come look at the neighborhood i'd avoid it until you find your way around town

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
II yesterday, but decided to withdraw my application. Good luck everyone!

Anyone look into housing yet? Will be coming next month to view apartments on or near Mud Island.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone look into housing yet? Will be coming next month to view apartments on or near Mud Island.
Me too! When are you visiting? Ms. Harris told me she was planning a second look weekend for mid-April but I have never heard confirmation of that.

Me too! When are you visiting? Ms. Harris told me she was planning a second look weekend for mid-April but I have never heard confirmation of that.
Very curious about this! Hopeful it actually will be MID-April

Edit: Mrs. Harris said April 12-13 - she is still finalizing and will send out an email before the end of next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when they start accepting people from the hold list? Would it be before second look day?

Edit: Mrs. Harris said April 12-13 - she is still finalizing and will send out an email before the end of next week.
Yes that’s what she told me too. Excited to meet some of you guys!

Anyone know when they start accepting people from the hold list? Would it be before second look day?

I second this.

I was placed on hold after interviewing the 3rd week of January and haven't heard anything from them since. Does anyone know when they started putting people on hold, and how late in the year they start accepting people from the hold list traditionally? I know it varies based on how many people commit/decline their acceptances, but I was just curious about a ball park estimate from previous years.

I second this.

I was placed on hold after interviewing the 3rd week of January and haven't heard anything from them since. Does anyone know when they started putting people on hold, and how late in the year they start accepting people from the hold list traditionally? I know it varies based on how many people commit/decline their acceptances, but I was just curious about a ball park estimate from previous years.

After all interviews are complete, everyone is either accepted, rejected, or on hold. They will offer remaining seats to people in the holding category until the class is considered full. Then the applicants in the holding category will be ranked and put on 'the alternate list'. Offers of acceptance are made to this group, in order, whenever someone with an acceptance decides not to attend. In past years that number has floated around 50. Everything from when they finish interviews to when they rank the alternate list happens late at UT for whatever reason. I heard they have offered acceptances the day before class starts, and possibly even a week into the first semester.

If you are currently on hold, you will not hear anything until you are either offered an acceptance(after all interviews), or informed that you are on the alternate list. If you end up on the alternate list you can inquire about your relative position - top, middle, or bottom third. All you can do now is hurry up and wait.

Last edited:
I second this.

To more directly answer your question, last year the alternate list letters were sent out in May. So I imagine any acceptances off hold would also occur around then.

Edit: Mrs. Harris said April 12-13 - she is still finalizing and will send out an email before the end of next week.[/QUOTE
Good to know! Will definitely plan apartment hunting around same weekend as 'second look'.

Any chance they start moving people off hold earlier due to the new traffic rules? (Insert false hope)

Reactions: 2 users
Ya i'd also strongly recommend mud island, especially if you are new to Memphis. It's safe, easy to get to campus, dog friendly, not a lot of distractions. It's pretty affordable with roommates too. Midtown is tempting especially if you can find a good house, but if you don't know the area and can't come look at the neighborhood i'd avoid it until you find your way around town
I plan on living on my own until my fiancee comes down. Would you recommend Germantown as well? The apartment I'm looking at is literally half the price that a 1BR would be on Mud Island. The commute is 20 min, which I'm okay with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my application. Hope one of you gets a better shot now. Good luck!

Hi I am new to this forum so I apologize if this has already been asked.

Does UTHSC have certain days/times that they typically send out interview invitations? It says on their website that they typically give 2-3 weeks notice, but I have seen some people who only get one week. Does it just vary on the situation?

Do they help you find your interview locations when you arrive for the interview day? I have tried to look up where one of my interviews is, and I can’t seem to find a location for it. Thanks in advance!

Do they help you find your interview locations when you arrive for the interview day? I have tried to look up where one of my interviews is, and I can’t seem to find a location for it. Thanks in advance!

Yes they do, don't worry! Diane and Nelson Strother will make sure you get to your interview location on time and show you the building.

Yes they do, don't worry! Diane and Nelson Strother will make sure you get to your interview location on time and show you the building.

Agreed, you’ll never feel lost. It’s really a fun day!

Got a text from my student ambassador that said Second Look day is April 13th!

What uh, what is second look day?

Second look is a day where accepted students can revisit the campus and learn more about the curriculum, student life, and the community. In the poster my ambassador sent me there will be a brunch at the Executive Dean’s house and multiple activities planned that students can partake in. You get to meet more students and they lead tours around apartment complexes and other things. It looks fun!

Does UTHSC have certain days/times that they typically send out interview invitations? It says on their website that they typically give 2-3 weeks notice, but I have seen some people who only get one week. Does it just vary on the situation?

I personally only had one week notice.

I had one week notice for my regional interview and 2 weeks notice for my interview in Memphis.

Does anyone have any idea how many acceptances have been given out so far?

UTHSC M1 here
Just chiming in bc I remember how terrible the waiting was last year and how desperate for info I was.

I interviewed in early Jan, was placed on Hold within 2 weeks of interview.
Received word (can’t remember how now) that final decisions regarding folks on Hold would happen in late April (can’t remeber exact date).

I received an email from Ms. Harris indicating my letter had been sent basically on that final decision date (did not indicate if I had been accepted or not) but it was about a week before I actually received my Acceptance Letter.

Good luck to everyone. I know it’s hard, but if you can, walk away from the screens and distract yourself as much as possible. Hang in there!

I received my acceptance 3 days ago, woo!! I'm out of state so I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on how I should look into housing as well as finding a roommate.

I received my acceptance 3 days ago, woo!! I'm out of state so I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on how I should look into housing as well as finding a roommate.

Congratulations! When did you interview?

Does anyone have any idea how many acceptances have been given out so far?

If I am not mistaken, schools must send out at least enough acceptances to fill the class by tomorrow. Now, thats obviously not enough overall because many people will choose other schools. But you know by tomorrow they will have at least sent that many.

Has anyone else had trouble getting a hold of Diane Harris? I was originally scheduled for an interview last week and had to reschedule. Its now been almost 2 weeks and I still havent heard a thing back from her about the new date.. I have called, left a voicemail, and emailed twice. Any advice on how to proceed? Trying to be patient but gees I need to know a date so I can make arrangements.

I suggest you get a hold of Nelson Strother instead. He is super responsive and will probably help move things along :)

II 3/20

It falls on a day that I have a really important job obligation next week. Most likely going to have to reschedule. I'm nervous if that would hurt my chances >.< Any advice? Does their committee meet weekly?

II 3/20

It falls on a day that I have a really important job obligation next week. Most likely going to have to reschedule. I'm nervous if that would hurt my chances >.< Any advice? Does their committee meet weekly?

I rescheduled and it wasn’t a problem! And yes, they meet every Friday. The turn around time to hear back is about two weeks

Does anyone know when the last interview day is? I know the schedule they have posted says end of April, but are they ending earlier? Trying to figure out when alternate list will be created/acceptances from hold may start!

Does anyone know when the last interview day is? I know the schedule they have posted says end of April, but are they ending earlier? Trying to figure out when alternate list will be created/acceptances from hold may start!
The letter I got for being on hold said we would hear about the alternate list in typically late March/early April, April 30th at the latest.

If you get a secondary does that mean you're most likely gonna get an IL since they pre-screen for secondaries? If so does anyone know how long that takes? Got a secondary at the beginning of the month, immediately submitted it and haven't heard anything since.

If you get a secondary does that mean you're most likely gonna get an IL since they pre-screen for secondaries? If so does anyone know how long that takes? Got a secondary at the beginning of the month, immediately submitted it and haven't heard anything since.
I think it’s almost 100% you’ll get an interview. They send out notifications a week before your assigned slot, and I think from the website they are through April. I think I waited like 2-3 months, but you’ll probably get it soon! Hang in there!

Do interviews go until the end of April? I'm just not sure how they would be able to make decisions about the hold list in late March/early April without completing interviews.

I called the admissions office and they said interviews will go until late April this year and they won’t pull anyone off hold until late April/early May when final decisions are made and the waitlist is created.

I called the admissions office and they said interviews will go until late April this year and they won’t pull anyone off hold until late April/early May when final decisions are made and the waitlist is created.
Here's to hoping this is an April fool's joke

tenor.gif

Does the interview in Memphis tend to be "harder" than the regional interview? I know it's academically focused, but will there be parallels with the regional?

Does the interview in Memphis tend to be "harder" than the regional interview? I know it's academically focused, but will there be parallels with the regional?
Just depends on the interviewer. Obviously the academic interview could contain questions about your grades, mcat, etc. So in that nature it might be harder. As long as you are prepared to discuss any possible weak points you may have academically, then there's no reason to assume its any more difficult than the other.

Here's to hoping this is an April fool's joke
M2 here, that is what happened to my cycle. Literally the morning of my finals they released the hold list, which only added to my anxiety level.

Anyone who has any questions to a current student, feel free to ask them on here and I'll respond; I don't answer pm's so that everyone can see responses.