2018-2019 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?
Remaining:2500

Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed.
What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life?

What would you like to contribute and be remembered for in medicine?

Interview Feedback: University of Texas Medical School-Houston

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
No secondaries for McGovern, sent in my application today!

@gyngyn

:( website has been updated, McGovern is going to have a secondary via invite after reviewing primary

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn

How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?

Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed.
What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life?

What would you like to contribute and be remembered for in medicine?

Reactions: 2 users
Mcgovern processes apps selectively, so even if you submitted first week of May you may not get the secondary invite for a while

Anyone received any notification that their application is under review, such as the emails sent out by UTSW/Long/etc.?

Primary submitted 5/2, transmitted 5/8.

Thanks, all!

I am OOS and want to submit some apps to schools in Texas. Assuming I submit my TMDSAS in the next week or so, and get my secondary submitted sometime in July, would that be considered late for Texas schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, awesome. I got caught off guard by seeing some of you submitting your Texas primary in early May.

Check out the TX threads in the main forums. The majority of interviews in Texas go to people who submitted in June/July. Only a minority submit in May.

Primary in by end of June and secondaries in by end of July is still pretty damn early for Texas so you have a good plan!

I am OOS and want to submit some apps to schools in Texas. Assuming I submit my TMDSAS in the next week or so, and get my secondary submitted sometime in July, would that be considered late for Texas schools?
Just to add, you might as well throw your hat in the ring for all of them. It’s a flat rate fee of 165 for all 10 schools. The secondaries aren’t bad either, other than Southwestern’s (5000 characters x 3).

Reactions: 2 users
Just to add, you might as well throw your hat in the ring for all of them. It’s a flat rate fee of 165 for all 10 schools. The secondaries aren’t bad either, other than Southwestern’s (5000 characters x 3).
Great advice! I didn't know that. I was looking at the MSAR and prospects for OOS applicants with my stats look bleak for almost all of the schools except for 3 (Long, McGovern and Rio Grande Valley). But if it's free I'm just gonna go for it!

Wait. Does this school not participate in AMCAS application service? How did people submit in May

Great advice! I didn't know that. I was looking at the MSAR and prospects for OOS applicants with my stats look bleak for almost all of the schools except for 3 (Long, McGovern and Rio Grande Valley). But if it's free I'm just gonna go for it!
Yep! I estimated the cost for all the TMDSAS schools to be about 335 for both primaries and secondaries. Didn’t include the UTRGV fee in this though. But still a pretty good value considering the AMCAS/AACOMAS costs.

is there a site that combines stats for all texas schools in terms of mcat and gpa and whatnot? or if you guys could list any that you know the stats of, or any OOS friendly ones that'd be appreciated

is there a site that combines stats for all texas schools in terms of mcat and gpa and whatnot? or if you guys could list any that you know the stats of, or any OOS friendly ones that'd be appreciated
TMDSAS Medical: Application Statistics
See stats here. All take 90% Texans. If you are OOS your stats need to be stellar.

81% of matriculants have a GPA of 3.6 or higher :wideyed:

Last edited:

The MSAR has stats for these schools and options to change it to in state vs out of state stats.

I’m applying here MD/PhD. Submitted TMDSAS last week of May. Anyone in the know about the program I could ask questions to? PM me.

MD/PhD can be done through AMCAS I believe...

Same, transmitted mid May with LizzyM >80. Hopefully it doesn't mean anything.
Are all of your supporting docs in? I am wondering if that is why I have not heard from them yet since my letters have not been submitted.

Last edited:
So this post is to head off any nervousness/anxiety that will arise from those who transmitted early, but have yet to get a secondary app or II. While my cycle did not have a secondary, I didn't receive my II until 3 months after I transmitted. And I prematched. So don't kill yourselves with what you can't control...

Reactions: 4 users
So this post is to head off any nervousness/anxiety that will arise from those who transmitted early, but have yet to get a secondary app or II. While my cycle did not have a secondary, I didn't receive my II until 3 months after I transmitted. And I prematched. So don't kill yourselves with what you can't control...
You understand us too well. It is concerning though because a friend of mine received a secondary invite last friday with lower stats and volunteer hours than me (they are an orm too).

So take the opportunity while waiting to hone your interviewing skills because IMO, after getting the II, leaving your interviewers with a great impression will be worth its weight in gold...

It is concerning though because a friend of mine received a secondary invite last friday with lower stats and volunteer hours than me (they are an orm too).

Understand that your friend was likely reviewed by someone who quickly turned it around while yours is on the desk of a reviewer who might be too busy to sit down and look yet. There are many factors regarding when reviewers will finish their tasks as reviewers...

Are all of your supporting docs in? I am wondering if that is why I have not heard from them yet since my letters have not been submitted.

I’ve been complete since 5/16 with all supporting docs but still nothing but crickets.

Maybe their review process includes witch craft

Reactions: 3 users
It’s still early days. Like DVT said my app probably passed through someone’s desk who was on the ball.

This is going to be a marathon for all of us but we can get through it! No need to fret about timing this early.

Reactions: 1 users
Transmitted May 30th and got secondary invite the same day... I'm OOS and it says it can't be submitted until June 11th anyway, weird.

Mcgovern processes apps selectively, so even if you submitted first week of May you may not get the secondary invite for a while
Do you know what they select for initially? I got a secondary last week, the day after transmission. Just curious.

GPA and MCAT

Nah that cant be it, people have reported secondary invites with all kinds of stats. Dont think it has anything to do with stats or URM status

I feel like the just sent them out to the May 30s right away and just havent gotten to the people who transmitted earlier lol.

Nah that cant be it, people have reported secondary invites with all kinds of stats. Dont think it has anything to do with stats or URM status

I feel like the just sent them out to the May 30s right away and just havent gotten to the people who transmitted earlier lol.

it might be a GPA/MCAT screen but the reason some have it and some don't is probably, literally, that the person reviewing your app hasn't gotten to it. It is SUPER early.

it might be a GPA/MCAT screen but the reason some have it and some don't is probably, literally, that the person reviewing your app hasn't gotten to it. It is SUPER early.
So is that how they review apps? Each person is assigned a number of apps to get through? Do we know for certain that there isn't a bank of applications that reviewers pull from one-by-one?

Sorry guys, I had the idea it was GPA/MCAT based since that is what was told to everyone at the reapp workshop last month. Looks like I'm wrong since people from random days are getting the secondary. Someone should call and ask them whats going on lol