2018-2019 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In case anyone else had the same paranoia I did..

According to the admissions office, if you matched to McGovern while also holding a pre-match offer, you won't receive any kind of e-mail from them regarding your official acceptance. Just be sure you're keeping up with the new student checklist, and any further updates will be provided via e-mail.
Have they sent out the new student checklist? I keep hearing about immunizations but I'm lost at to what shots I should be getting lol

Members don't see this ad.

so i just read that you should submit your photos by June 1st or within 2 weeks of acceptance... im kinda late to the 2 weeks of acceptance deadline, should i send it asap or can i wait till june 1st? like i wont get rescinded right?

I'm looking ahead re: finances during medical school and notice that Health Insurance does not seem to be budgeted for in Cost of Attendance for loan purposes. Can any current students confirm this? I hope I am just misunderstanding!

Also, I find it odd that there are gaps between coverage periods. Do they expect us to get coverage throught the Marketplace during the gaps after years 2 & 3?

Links to the documents I am viewing:
https://www.uth.edu/sfs/documents/Cost of Attendance-UTH 1819.pdf

https://www.uth.edu/auxiliary-enter...HealthInsuranceTermsandrates_Oct18_Update.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
Have they sent out the new student checklist? I keep hearing about immunizations but I'm lost at to what shots I should be getting lol

If you look under the "Offer" tab on the portal, you will find the a link to the checklist titled checklist information.

so i just read that you should submit your photos by June 1st or within 2 weeks of acceptance... im kinda late to the 2 weeks of acceptance deadline, should i send it asap or can i wait till june 1st? like i wont get rescinded right?

I doubt we'll be rescinded since there's a hard deadline of June 1st, I also haven't submitted a photo.

Has anyone heard back about scholarships yet? Do any current students know if they have separate merit/need awards? Or is it like both are considered together and combined?

Has anyone heard back about scholarships yet? Do any current students know if they have separate merit/need awards? Or is it like both are considered together and combined?

Haven't heard anything back yet!

Hi guys, I'm new to SDN, but does anyone have any guesses as to how many people have been accepted/how many admissions offers have been sent out so far for McGovern? After looking through this forum, I feel like not many people got in on match day (that I can see at least), so trying to preserve some shred of hope. I have been checking this page like crazy, waiting for some waitlist movement. Currently on the waitlist, and I would cry if I got in here. :')

Hi guys, I'm new to SDN, but does anyone have any guesses as to how many people have been accepted/how many admissions offers have been sent out so far for McGovern? After looking through this forum, I feel like not many people got in on match day (that I can see at least), so trying to preserve some shred of hope. Currently on the waitlist, and I would cry if I got in here. :')
I imagine their class is currently full. However, there is also a good chance for some WL movement as several students may want to live in Dallas & are on the UTSW WL + Baylor has yet to release most of their decisions

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys, I'm new to SDN, but does anyone have any guesses as to how many people have been accepted/how many admissions offers have been sent out so far for McGovern? After looking through this forum, I feel like not many people got in on match day (that I can see at least), so trying to preserve some shred of hope. I have been checking this page like crazy, waiting for some waitlist movement. Currently on the waitlist, and I would cry if I got in here. :')
If baylor or utsw accepts me, you can have my spot

Reactions: 7 users
I did a second look day here yesterday (I'm OOS) and am super excited about coming here!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So they can know if they can keep getting blazed fam.

I figured it was because they just liked to pee into small, plastic cups..however, your assumption is much more logical.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes , March 7 and 8 /2018 had a lot of movement.I have been checking but I have not heard anything.

Tbh I’m not expecting a lot from McGovern rn cause Baylor is a bit behind from where they were last year in giving out acceptances.

Hi all! Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those waiting it out. Does anyone have a rough idea of approximate waitlist movement at mcgovern (from MSAR or otherwise)? Asking for a friend :), thanks!

waitlist movement is pretty good at McGovern from what I've seen in previous years @wysdoc can probably confirm. She has TX roundup posts and lots of McGovern offers happen

Does anyone know if they have made decisions on MD/PhD? If not, has anyone heard when they will?

waitlist movement is pretty good at McGovern from what I've seen in previous years @wysdoc can probably confirm. She has TX roundup posts and lots of McGovern offers happen
Last year McGovern WL action didn't start until mid April but then they offered several then another bunch in mid-May.

Reactions: 1 users
Just want to clarify - on the incoming student checklist, it says we need to mail our final transcripts to UTHealth separately because TMDSAS and UTHealth don't share transcripts. It also says we should update our final transcript in TMDSAS. I applied as a senior so I had already submitted my final transcript and haven't taken any more coursework, so I'm good as far as TMDSAS goes, yes? I just need to mail in my transcript to UT?

Just want to clarify - on the incoming student checklist, it says we need to mail our final transcripts to UTHealth separately because TMDSAS and UTHealth don't share transcripts. It also says we should update our final transcript in TMDSAS. I applied as a senior so I had already submitted my final transcript and haven't taken any more coursework, so I'm good as far as TMDSAS goes, yes? I just need to mail in my transcript to UT?
Yes but send it officially from your college.

Yup that sounds right, also just wondering but what made you choose UTH over UTSW?

Anyone have a guesstimate on how many waitlist offers McGovern gives out?

Yup that sounds right, also just wondering but what made you choose UTH over UTSW?

Ultimately, it came down to the fact that being close to my family is a priority for me right now. If I didn't have any family or if they were located somewhere else, I probably would have given UTSW the edge. I liked both schools a lot and they each had pros and cons, so in the end the personal stuff was a tiebreaker.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have thoughts on the pre-entry program? I was hoping for some free time before medical school, but am wondering if this offer is too good to pass up.

Anyone have thoughts on the pre-entry program? I was hoping for some free time before medical school, but am wondering if this offer is too good to pass up.
I personally didn't do it and did just fine the first semester without it. However, a lot of my friends did it and thoroughly enjoyed it-I haven't heard a negative thing about it. If you want to do it, then do it, but don't worry about being 'behind the curve' if you decide to pass it up.

Does anyone know when financial aid awards will be announced?

Anyone know if we have to mess with the "Plan to Enroll" feature on AMCAS for McGovern since this school is not part of the AMCAS system.

It will appear on your 'choose your medical school' tool if you are using AMCAS. Not sure if you need to mess with it if you don't have any acceptances from OOS schools.

Does anyone know how many students usually get off the waitlist?

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know if we have to mess with the "Plan to Enroll" feature on AMCAS for McGovern since this school is not part of the AMCAS system.
McGovern appeared on my AAMC portal with my other acceptances so I put "plan to enroll" for McGovern. I am sure it will help them figure out their class just like any other school.

Hoping for some waitlist movement soon (or lots), last year it started on March 6 :( has anyone heard of a single person who has gotten off the waitlist so far? Maybe in the fb group?

When I talked to admissions around mid to late March, they said there has been no movement at that point. 0.0 Haven't contacted them since.

Hoping for some waitlist movement soon (or lots), last year it started on March 6 :( has anyone heard of a single person who has gotten off the waitlist so far? Maybe in the fb group?

don't worry :) there is going to be a decent amount of movement. Just recently a lot of people who were holding a McGovern match got into Baylor, and some more probably will as well. A couple might also move up to Dell, UTSW (or more unlikely, OOS) so I expect McGovern will definitely have a good amount of movement, as per prior years.

Reactions: 7 users
This question is mostly directed at current students but I welcome any input lol. I got an unexpected offer from Baylor yesterday, but I have already kinda fallen in love with McGovern and am now torn betweeen the two. Did anyone (or anyone you know) choose McGovern over BCM because of the chiller atmosphere/student body?

This question is mostly directed at current students but I welcome any input lol. I got an unexpected offer from Baylor yesterday, but I have already kinda fallen in love with McGovern and am now torn betweeen the two. Did anyone (or anyone you know) choose McGovern over BCM because of the chiller atmosphere/student body?

Just wait for Financial aid from McGovern if you're undecided. They said they are gonna be releasing it by April 30th. You could also let them know over the phone that you need it ASAP to make your decision.

Also -- gonna give my personal opinion disclaimer: I'm still dreaming about a Baylor acceptance. So as much as I wish I could say otherwise, unless your dead set on primary care in a non-academic setting like private practice, or get a significant scholarship from McGovern, would probably take BCM. I'm fairly certain I met a guy at Welcome Weekend who chose McGovern over Penn because of fin-aid, but other than that don't really know anyone personally whose made that decision.

You know, part of the reason they give y’all a long interview day is so you can get time to get a feel for the place and maybe fall in love with it Follow your instincts and choose the one you want, no matter what “they” say you should choose.

Fam I would take baylor and run lol.

Reactions: 6 users

Speaking of Financial Aid, I just got a scholarship award letter! :soexcited:So definitely reach out if that is a factor for you

I am in a very similar position as you, but deciding between a different TMDSAS medical school and BCM. The only advice I can give is to go with your gut and where you believe you will be the happiest. Maybe you had a better experience, but I was not impressed with the BCM interview session for quite a few reasons and found it pretty surprising for the reputation it has (no formal dinner, extremely low communication with applicants, seeing cadavers out in the lab - is this legal??, cold/awkward students, etc. ). Both schools are great, but there is no point in going to a "better school" if you won't be happy for four years due to the atmosphere or students. Just my two cents!

I am in a very similar position as you, but deciding between a different TMDSAS medical school and BCM. The only advice I can give is to go with your gut and where you believe you will be the happiest. Maybe you had a better experience, but I was not impressed with the BCM interview session for quite a few reasons and found it pretty surprising for the reputation it has (no formal dinner, extremely low communication with applicants, seeing cadavers out in the lab - is this legal??, cold/awkward students, etc. ). Both schools are great, but there is no point in going to a "better school" if you won't be happy for four years due to the atmosphere or students. Just my two cents!
Yeah my experience during my interview was similar, which is part of the reason I’m so hesitant about BCM despite its status as a top school. I did talk to a current student though who said that they felt interview day was not a good representation of the school and he actually loves it so idk...

You aren’t alone! I was in the same boat a few months ago! Ultimately, I decided on McGovern because I feel that their faculty is more dedicated to teaching and mentorship than the faculty at Baylor. I gleaned this not only from my interviews, but by talking to doctors who attended both programs. Also, the idea that a mcgovern student’s options are limited to primary care is ludicrous. I work in a highly competitive specialty and almost all of my doctors were educated within the UTHealth system. So, please, do not worry about that! Everyone’s priorities are different when it comes to choosing a medical school and you really cannot go wrong with either of these options. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 6 users