2018-2019 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I doubt there's a material difference early on. I think it mainly starts to matter if your interview is in August vs. like November. Also, I've heard it's not a big deal if you can't go to the socials. It is just nice to talk to students and learn more about the school the night before.
In the sense of helping you by interviewing earlier, or does interviewing later help because you're "fresh" in the memory?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the sense of helping you by interviewing earlier, or does interviewing later help because you're "fresh" in the memory?
I'm thinking an earlier invite is better especially if you want to prematch. But that obviously is just speculation.

MD only. Apparently the processes are separate but MD/PhD interviews dont start until October. They say on the site they make every effort to ensure the dates coincide, but the dates available are August/September.
Gotcha. So does that mean you'll have to go back to interview again if they invite you for MD/PhD?
Just trying to get my bearings as an OOS MD/PhD applicant. I applied through AMCAS and was verified about a month ago and still no secondary or communication... from any Texas school

Gotcha. So does that mean you'll have to go back to interview again if they invite you for MD/PhD?
Just trying to get my bearings as an OOS MD/PhD applicant. I applied through AMCAS and was verified about a month ago and still no secondary or communication... from any Texas school

I suppose it does! I applied through TMDSAS for the MD only shot as well. No separate communication about MD/PhD at this point from any TX school either. I am IS tho.

I suppose it does! I applied through TMDSAS for the MD only shot as well. No separate communication about MD/PhD at this point from any TX school either. I am IS tho.
well congrats on the 2 MD only II's so far! I've seen you active in the physician-scientist thread and look forward to keeping up with you throughout the cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
If I didn't submit my secondary until June 26th do we think there's still a shot I could receive a II later on ?
You couldn’t even submit the secondary until 6/19 because of payment issues. 6/26 is still waaaaaaay early.

If I didn't submit my secondary until June 26th do we think there's still a shot I could receive a II later on ?
the cycle is long. It goes from May until July of the following year in Texas. If you have no IIs by Thanksgiving, that's when you start re-evaluating your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
the cycle is long. It goes from May until July of the following year in Texas. If you have no IIs by Thanksgiving, that's when you start re-evaluating your situation.

will schools ever let you know if they will not offer you a II? or just silence

Got an II today too. OOS submitted my secondary on 7/12 so I'm shocked I'm hearing back already.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received an II without their letters in?

I would think the earlier the II the better your chances, idk if schools actually do this but maybe they send the first couple of IIs to students who they think would fit their mission/stats the best

I would think the earlier the II the better your chances, idk if schools actually do this but maybe they send the first couple of IIs to students who they think would fit their mission/stats the best
Gosh I hope so.

Has anyone received an II without their letters in?

I'm kind of wondering this too. TMDSAS only got my letters last week, and I heard it takes them two weeks to get to each school:(

killing it my friend
Thanks it's crazy with Texas' whole quota for OOS students, I'd think they'd be looking for rockstars. I think it's just my perpetual inferiority complex kicking in.

Does anyone know if the days that they make available to us are the only dates we can pick. I will be going down to Galveston for one of the dates offered, and I wonder if they would let me interview a few days before or after so I don't have to make two trips?

Does anyone know if the days that they make available to us are the only dates we can pick. I will be going down to Galveston for one of the dates offered, and I wonder if they would let me interview a few days before or after so I don't have to make two trips?
Out of curiosity which dates were y’all offered for those who got IIs?

What the heck is going on with LORs to TMDSAS... I uploaded them from interfolio to TMDSAS 2 weeks ago. AMCAS received them in 24 hrs, but TMDSAS still hasn't.

What the heck is going on with LORs to TMDSAS... I uploaded them from interfolio to TMDSAS 2 weeks ago. AMCAS received them in 24 hrs, but TMDSAS still hasn't.

For TMDSAS its not an automatic process, they will check them one by one those see if its missing anything. I submitted 3 through interfolio and it took about 5-7 days to get uploaded. So maybe you should try contacting them.

For TMDSAS its not an automatic process, they will check them one by one those see if its missing anything. I submitted 3 through interfolio and it took about 5-7 days to get uploaded. So maybe you should try contacting them.
When did you submit yours? I submitted mine July 7th...

I submitted my letters through Interfolio at the end of June, and they got processed just a few days ago.

3.58, 522, II achieved, to clarify my statement

What dates were the interviews in August? I haven't gotten IIs yet but asking just in case so I can tell my job beforehand

If I haven't received an II yet and receive one at a later date, does this mean my interview will most likely be after August?

Edit: To clarify, I mean was the wave that was sent out last week the only one that will offer August dates, or will the future waves also offer August dates?

Last edited:
3.55 cGPA
3.67 sGPA
I am instate, should I bother applying?

McGovern please hit us up today :)

Im IS, lizzy of 65, submitted my 2nd mid-june. Do you think I'll get an II? Im starting to worry that im being passed up...