2018-2019 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im IS, lizzy of 65, submitted my 2nd mid-june. Do you think I'll get an II? Im starting to worry that im being passed up...
The cycle is long. IIs will go out through October and November

Members don't see this ad.

I am OOS, 511 MCAT (130, 126, 127, 128), 4.0 GPA. 3 publications, 1 first author. 11 conference presentations. Employed as a CNA. Can anyone comment on my chances? I have submitted all of my secondary’s (23 MD) and only heard back from one school (rejection). McGovern is a dream!
OOS is very hard to predict in Texas because schools in TX accept the vast majority from IS (by law). That said, there are still many interview dates left for McGovern

Members don't see this ad :)
I am OOS, 511 MCAT (130, 126, 127, 128), 4.0 GPA. 3 publications, 1 first author. 11 conference presentations. Employed as a CNA. Can anyone comment on my chances? I have submitted all of my secondary’s (23 MD) and only heard back from one school (rejection). McGovern is a dream!

Hang in there man. It's def tough as OOS but I heard back from a couple Texas schools, so you definitely have a shot especially since it's only August!

Reactions: 1 user
Dude this silence is deafening
"He (or she) says, as he (or she) twiddles his (or her) thumbs, sitting on 7 interview invites."

But no really, its getting kinda eerie. If this is a sign for things to come, its going to be a loooooooooooong cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
YO WHAT THEY JUST SENT ME TWO IIs

EDIT: was complete on the first day. Both McGovern and Lubbock have proved to me that submission time does NOT correlate to IIs. Even if you've got the same exact stats, ECs, and even undergrad institution as someone else who gets an II does not necessarily mean you are getting passed over! Was a similar case for UCLA and UCSF Secondaries, despite submitting Day 1, I didn't make it past their screen until much later in July. I remember just a couple weeks ago I was going nuts since people with like 4.0/528 and URMs were sitting on almost 10 invites. The process is weird guys, but I'm sure we'll all get the IIs we want most.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
JUST GOT AN II TOO, THERE'S HOPE FOR US MORTALS

Reactions: 2 users
YO WHAT THEY JUST SENT ME TWO IIs

EDIT: was complete on the first day. Both McGovern and Lubbock have proved to me that submission time does NOT correlate to IIs. Even if you've got the same exact stats, ECs, and even undergrad institution as someone else who gets an II does not necessarily mean you are getting passed over! Was a similar case for UCLA and UCSF Secondaries, despite submitting Day 1, I didn't make it past their screen until much later in July. I remember just a couple weeks ago I was going nuts since people with like 4.0/528 and URMs were sitting on almost 10 invites. The process is weird guys, but I'm sure we'll all get the IIs we want most.
SAME!!! Wild

Members don't see this ad :)
II today! Submitted first day it was open

Reactions: 1 users
II today, IS, reapp, Lizzy 69, complete early June

it's definitely too early to be worried about no II's from any Texas school yet, right? Lissy 68, IS, complete end of June
I know everyone is saying it's barely August and to be patient, but man the wait is painful, and I can't stop checking sdn

it's definitely too early to be worried about no II's from any Texas school yet, right? Lissy 68, IS, complete end of June
I know everyone is saying it's barely August and to be patient, but man the wait is painful, and I can't stop checking sdn

I went from zero Tx invites to 3 within the span of a week and have similar stats. I was feeling the same way as you a week ago, so just be reassured that your stats are fine and that the process is simply unpredictable. Your time will come, no worries.

Hey guys I just wanted to say that while it's great to get an early interview, getting one in the middle-late portion of the cycle is not a killer for your app. McGovern was the very last invite I received but I still pre-matched, so if you're still waiting, don't sweat it!

Reactions: 12 users
Hey guys I just wanted to say that while it's great to get an early interview, getting one in the middle-late portion of the cycle is not a killer for your app. McGovern was the very last invite I received but I still pre-matched, so if you're still waiting, don't sweat it!
This eases the nerves hearing this

PSA for anyone applying to the GSBS MD/PhD program: the secondary application is on their website, and you have to mail it in with a check, snail-mail style. Also, they changed their secondary application within the last two weeks to have four essays (from none) and upped the fee to $50 from $25 (potentially because they recently secured MSTP funding?). I sent the application with the old form/fee and emailed them to ask if they wanted the updated one, but they said it was fine.

PSA for anyone applying to the GSBS MD/PhD program: the secondary application is on their website, and you have to mail it in with a check, snail-mail style. Also, they changed their secondary application within the last two weeks to have four essays (from none) and upped the fee to $50 from $25 (potentially because they recently secured MSTP funding?). I sent the application with the old form/fee and emailed them to ask if they wanted the updated one, but they said it was fine.

thanks for the info!

omg I had no clue. Thank you!

only need to do it if you are ONLY applying MD/PhD. If you submitted TMDSAS for the MD side as well, you dont need to do it.
Yep, applying only MD/PhD from OOS!

Seriously pumped for UT Houston because of their affiliation with MD Anderson.

Does anyone know if all LOR need to be turned in to get an ii?

Wow, major props to you for posting this. I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything from them yet.

Btw the MD/PhD folks at McGovern told me over email that the MD/PhD committee would not meet for II decisions until September. Also, they are an MSTP now so they will be accepting more people this year.

II today! IS, Lizzy 75, ORM, complete early August. Love this school and super excited for opportunity.

II today! IS, Lizzy 75, ORM, complete early August. Love this school and super excited for opportunity.
Congrats! Could I ask which day in August exactly? Sorry to be so specific, it’s just that my letters finally came in on August 9th so I’m just trying to gauge the timeline

Congrats! Could I ask which day in August exactly? Sorry to be so specific, it’s just that my letters finally came in on August 9th so I’m just trying to gauge the timeline
No problem, I think some time between Aug 1 - 3rd.
Good luck!

hi. I have a lizzy score of 67. it's been two months since i submitted my secondary. do i have a chance for an ii? im IS

hi. I have a lizzy score of 67. it's been two months since i submitted my secondary. do i have a chance for an ii? im IS

I completed in mid june and have a lizzy of 77, IS, still no II either.

Does anyone know whether McGovern is open to "in-the-area" emails?

Does anyone know whether McGovern is open to "in-the-area" emails?
Most med schools are not really open to these kinds of requests, UNLESS you have already been invited for an interview and would like to change the date to combine it with a trip to another nearby interview.
If you don't have an interview invitation from that school and wanted to write, "Hey I am coming to Houston, can you interview me?" then you will not get anywhere with that tactic!

II just a while ago. IS w/ LizzyM of 70 and URM
Edit: I submitted my secondary 7/2 if anyone is curious.

Last edited:
II just now!
Secondary submitted 8/12, LizzyM 72.5

Last edited by a moderator:
Submitted secondary 6/20 aaaaaand nothing, so is it safe to say I’ve been passed up? LizzyM- 70/71 IS

II invite received today.

Timeline:
submitted TDMSAS 6/20, submitted secondaries 7/7, all my letter in 7/15.

I want to give hope to people who have low stats because my lizzy m is only 66-67.

II invite received today.

Timeline:
submitted TDMSAS 6/20, submitted secondaries 7/7, all my letter in 7/15.

I want to give hope to people who have low stats because my lizzy m is only 66-67.
*letters.