2018-2019 University of Texas - Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea i honestly just got into that mentality right now, thanks for giving me hope!
You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. I received II from my top choice that I didn’t even expect because their mcat media was wayyyyyy higher and guess what that was the II I got. And school with lower medians haven’t even asked me yet

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

How would you say the atmosphere is for the single people?
Seems pretty good! Lots of students end up dating, and most seem pretty happy. A handful of students who meet here end up married by 3rd year. Also seems like there is a pretty good night life for singles here as we are right near the college night scene (Rice University and U of H is not far). I hear fun stories after the breaks, but don't get out a lot :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Take heart McGovern applicants! I applied super late and interviewed in January and still got in here! Good luck all!

Reactions: 8 users
Take heart McGovern applicants! I applied super late and interviewed in January and still got in here! Good luck all!
How late did you apply and do you mind sharing your stats for when you did?

If I applied in like early July, have I probably been passed up already? Haven't heard anything from them

How late did you apply and do you mind sharing your stats for when you did?
I applied in late August, and my MCAT was 508, GPA was 3.7ish, prior military, 2 years research at UTSW. I maxed out my ECs.
I know I'm not a typical applicant, but my stats weren't that impressive either. I just interviewed decently well and got plenty of offers :)

Good luck all!

If I applied in like early July, have I probably been passed up already? Haven't heard anything from them
I applied in August and didn't interview at McGovern until early January! I was holding previous offers but chose to rank McGovern above others schools in the TMDSAS match and it worked out!

Reactions: 3 users
Woah! II! I'm OOS so this is bizarre. I never thought I'd get an II from one, let alone two, Texas schools!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone who has completed their interview @ UT be willing to provide advice or tips for interview day? My interview is next week, and I am slightly nervous. I'm not sure what to expect during my interview.

II!

LizzyM: 70
Transmittied: 6/11
Complete: 7/11

Reactions: 4 users
II earlier today!
Submitted secondary mid July, letters were in early August. LM 70 ish.

Would anyone who has completed their interview @ UT be willing to provide advice or tips for interview day? My interview is next week, and I am slightly nervous. I'm not sure what to expect during my interview.
Just be yourself! The interviews are meant to be conversational and very laid-back. There will be the usual questions. Try not to practice or memorize your spiel, it will be obvious to the interviewer. Show up early. I showed up 15 minutes before check-in at 7:30 and wound up getting lost but somehow managed to be there right on time. Ask questions. Wear comfortable shoes, there is an hour and a half tour. Bring a comb, floss/toothpick, mint, makeup, etc to retouch before each interview. Good luck!

Just be yourself! The interviews are meant to be conversational and very laid-back. There will be the usual questions. Try not to practice or memorize your spiel, it will be obvious to the interviewer. Show up early. I showed up 15 minutes before check-in at 7:30 and wound up getting lost but somehow managed to be there right on time. Ask questions. Wear comfortable shoes, there is an hour and a half tour. Bring a comb, floss/toothpick, mint, makeup, etc to retouch before each interview. Good luck!
THIS.
If you are trying to be anybody but yourself, your interview won't go well. And show up early. Worst case you sit around for 20 mins and ask med students questions before things start officially. Don't be intimidated by med students you see in the lobby. We are all really friendly! (Even though we may look a little stressed) :)
Good luck peeps!

THIS.
If you are trying to be anybody but yourself, your interview won't go well. And show up early. Worst case you sit around for 20 mins and ask med students questions before things start officially. Don't be intimidated by med students you see in the lobby. We are all really friendly! (Even though we may look a little stressed) :)
Good luck peeps!
Definitely agree. A lot of the med students that were around when I interviewed were second years that were having their first test that same day, yet they were around to answer questions and help out with the process. Definitely helped me when I got a bit lost :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely agree. A lot of the med students that were around when I interviewed were second years that were having their first test that same day, yet they were around to answer questions and help out with the process. Definitely helped me when I got a bit lost :laugh:
Great to see that the atmosphere is kinda stress free! what did you think about the Texas Medical Center?

Great to see that the atmosphere is kinda stress free! what did you think about the Texas Medical Center?
Texas Medical Center was amazing! Really sells the school on top of the great atmosphere.

I think we interviewed on the same day!!

Does McGovern send out lots of offers during pre-match period?

Does McGovern send out lots of offers during pre-match period?
Not sure. I interviewed late and got in during the match. I don't think they send out as many as some of the other schools (I know UNT and A&M send out a lot because they have a little tougher time getting competitive applicants).

Feeling like I might’ve gotten passed up, LizzyM 77, IS complete 8/9. Does anyone know how long McGovern sends IIs out? What’s confusing me is how I got an invite from Baylor but not here.

Feeling like I might’ve gotten passed up, LizzyM 77, IS. Does anyone know how long McGovern sends IIs out? What’s confusing me is how I got an invite from Baylor but not here.
IIs are a crapshoot, dude. I have zero connections to TX and my only two IIs are from here. Meanwhile, my IS hasn't sent me anything and I've only heard Rs from AMCAS schools. Honestly, the only thing we can do at this point is focus on the IIs we have and pray for the rest.

IIs are a crapshoot, dude. I have zero connections to TX and my only two IIs are from here. Meanwhile, my IS hasn't sent me anything and I've only heard Rs from AMCAS schools. Honestly, the only thing we can do at this point is focus on the IIs we have and pray for the rest.
The truth. This is a competitive process as an ORM.

II today. IS Lizzy M 69. Texas has been showing love this week!!!

Reactions: 1 users
For those who interviewed/have interviews coming up, is the social the night before the interview mandatory? I'd love to go but the flights aren't very accommodating. Thanks!

(submitted 7/11, II received 9/13, LizzyM~77)

For those who interviewed/have interviews coming up, is the social the night before the interview mandatory? I'd love to go but the flights aren't very accommodating. Thanks!

(submitted 7/11, II received 9/13, LizzyM~77)
It's not mandatory.

II a few days ago! OOS, complete late June!

do ya'll think the night before is helpful? i've heard mixed reviews on it so don't really know how to approach it