2018-2019 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also just received a call from Betty saying that I’m positioned high on the waitlist.
I interviewed on 12/14.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
congratulations guys! did they say anything else about the rest of the match? Guess I'll just wait lol

I interviewed on 12/7! anxiously waiting.......
xunbearable-wait-meme.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rr059Zsuor.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed the first week of October and have yet to hear anything :(

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else interview in December and not hear anything today or yesterday? I'm a bit anxious since Betty said we would here back something by today.

Anyone else interview in December and not hear anything today or yesterday? I'm a bit anxious since Betty said we would here back something by today.

Pick me, pick me :scared: Don’t want to jump to the worst conclusion for myself, and also scared to ask... did anyone receive a prematch offer today?

I wouldn't be as frustrated as I am about not hearing if they hadn't explicitly told us we would hear last Friday. Like what's the point in telling prospective students that then not following through....

Reactions: 4 users
Pick me, pick me :scared: Don’t want to jump to the worst conclusion for myself, and also scared to ask... did anyone receive a prematch offer today?

Prematch goes out to about the same 50 or so students that will probably be prematched at every other medical school in Texas. Thus, prematch hardly matters unless you really want to go to UTRGV and accept the offer and then rank UTRGV high. Many of those prematched at UTRGV will chose another school in their ranking. If you interviewed at UTRGV but haven't prematched, chances are still very good that you will be accepted at the match, depending on how you rank the schools you interviewed at. So calm down and don't sweat the prematch offers- got it? Just like God, the great Texas Match Machine will sort all of us out in the end.

Reactions: 4 users
I wouldn't be as frustrated as I am about not hearing if they hadn't explicitly told us we would hear last Friday. Like what's the point in telling prospective students that then not following through....
@zabini I try to be as impartial and objective as I can on these message boards, but if this type of thing drives you crazy, remember it when you are ranking your schools :bored:. I think they make these promises to tell people what they want to hear, and don't realize how bad it looks when they don't get the work done in time to keep them.

Prematch goes out to about the same 50 or so students that will probably be prematched at every other medical school in Texas. Thus, prematch hardly matters unless you really want to go to UTRGV and accept the offer and then rank UTRGV high. Many of those prematched at UTRGV will chose another school in their ranking. If you interviewed at UTRGV but haven't prematched, chances are still very good that you will be accepted at the match, depending on how you rank the schools you interviewed at. So calm down and don't sweat the prematch offers- got it? Just like God, the great Texas Match Machine will sort all of us out in the end.

unless you're out of state :(

@zabini I try to be as impartial and objective as I can on these message boards, but if this type of thing drives you crazy, remember it when you are ranking your schools :bored:. I think they make these promises to tell people what they want to hear, and don't realize how bad it looks when they don't get the work done in time to keep them.

Honestly I'm just such a stickler for deadlines lol

How many views have you guys gotten on your video? I randomly checked 2 weeks ago and I had 4 views, but then today I had 7 views. I really hope my video didn't somehow become public.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

How many views have you guys gotten on your video? I randomly checked 2 weeks ago and I had 4 views, but then today I had 7 views. I really hope my video didn't somehow become public.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

It could be the committee reviewing your app after your interview. If you have it unlisted, unlikely it would suddenly switch. Do a quick check on YouTube.

Members don't see this ad :)
While we all know most of your comment -- esp. the reference to the great Texas Match Machine -- is spot on, your first sentence may not be. From what I've seen and heard over the past few years, the AC members at the UTRGV really take holistic review and an applicant's fit to their SOM's mission very seriously at every step of the process -- pre-screening, screening, interview evals, and final evals & ranking. Think about the published thresholds for GPA and MCAT. They're *not* set at those levels because the SOM is desperate to recruit anyone it can. They're set to allow the AC to identify applicants with good to great metrics who they believe will *fit* and can successfully complete the curriculum; rather than just those with the best grades and who have checked the most "boxes" [awards, service, shadowing, etc.]. While applicants with GPAs = 4.0 plus MCAT = 521 would be very attractive to the AC, they can be ranked low if the AC concludes their fit to the mission is not good.

Has anyone that prematched received Financial aid and housing information?

Has anyone that prematched received Financial aid and housing information?
There is no school sponsored housing to my knowledge. Contact a reputable realtor and ask them to help you find a house or apartment to rent in Edinburg or north McAllen.

Are IIs still being sent out? My secondary video has yet to be viewed...

So has anyone heard anything back yet? Maybe we wait until the match?

letter of intent sent, fingers crossed

So has anyone heard anything back yet? Maybe we wait until the match?
The window of opportunity for pre-match offers closed on December 31, 2018.
Next thing you hear will be Match Day Feb 1.
Be sure to rank the schools where you have interviewed, in order of your true preference, by 5 PM on Jan 18 on your TMDSAS portal.
Good luck in the match!

Are they back in the office? Called them but no answer.

So... there are applicants that interviewed who've either pre-matched or who've been waitlisted ("priority waitlist") before the Texas match. A few have posted that Betty called to tell them they were on the waitlist in a "very favorable" position (did they not receive an email?)

The application flowchart doesn't mention a waitlist until after the match and states that the waitlist is divided into thirds.. upper/priority, middle, and lower based on adcom ranking.

Are those who've been waitlisted via email in the same boat as those who received a call directly from Betty?

Can we assume that those who were waitlisted during the pre-match make up the upper third of the waitlist?

Asking for a friend... ;)

How much of the class do they prematch?

Also, what was the breakfast? I’m interviewing this weekend and wondering if I should skip the hotel breakfast or not.

How much of the class do they prematch?

Also, what was the breakfast? I’m interviewing this weekend and wondering if I should skip the hotel breakfast or not.

From previous threads it appears they pre-match most if not all the 50 seats. We had coffee, juice, breakfast tacos, and fruit during my interview. Apparently they've had tamales from Delia's before... :p

From previous threads it appears they pre-match most if not all the 50 seats. We had coffee, juice, breakfast tacos, and fruit during my interview. Apparently they've had tamales from Delia's before... :p

Tacos and tamales sounds pretty good! It’s unfortunate I’ll be interviewing for a waitlist spot, but from what I’ve heard, they generally have a lot of waitlist movement. At the moment, I don’t think this will pass my current top choice, but i have heard on the interview trail that this school blew some ppl away. I have A LOT of family in the valley, so I could be swayed.

Tacos and tamales sounds pretty good! It’s unfortunate I’ll be interviewing for a waitlist spot, but from what I’ve heard, they generally have a lot of waitlist movement. At the moment, I don’t think this will pass my current top choice, but i have heard on the interview trail that this school blew some ppl away. I have A LOT of family in the valley, so I could be swayed.
There's no such thing as interviewing for a WL spot. Give it your best

Reactions: 2 users
Question: I interviewed on December 7th. I haven't heard anything so I know I haven't made the pre-match. I have sent in my letter of intent and I feel my interview went very well. I am an over-thinker and over-stressor so I am naturally anxious while waiting for the match. If I end up being waitlisted after the match, does anyone know the approximate percentage of waitlisted students who matriculate (specifically for UTRGV, not for medical schools in general)?

Interviewed 11/9, only was waitlisted about a month and a half ago

There is no school sponsored housing to my knowledge. Contact a reputable realtor and ask them to help you find a house or apartment to rent in Edinburg or north McAllen.
According to the UTRGVSOM folks with whom I've spoken, on-campus housing is available to interested students. If she/he interviewed, the applicant might have missed the comments on it during one of the presentations. Please check with the Admissions Office for confirmation/clarification. Sorry my response to this was so delayed, but I was laid up with pneumonia for while -- and then, simply forgot.

According to the UTRGVSOM folks with whom I've spoken, on-campus housing is available to interested students. If she/he interviewed, the applicant might have missed the comments on it during one of the presentations. Please check with the Admissions Office for confirmation/clarification. Sorry my response to this was so delayed, but I was laid up with pneumonia for while -- and then, simply forgot.

Correct, on-campus housing is offered. However, the students said that essentially none of them choose to live on-campus.

Hi guys,

Soo, I am kinda PANICKING because I am an out-of-state-student, and I interviewed on December 7th. This school is actually my top choice and Betty said she would be calling us on December 21st, and I have still heard nothing. What are my chances now? I spent the entirety of the month of December waiting near my phone so that i wouldnt miss a call (I know they were on break and just started again on Jan. 7) Anyone know what I should do now? Should I email or call? Or reach out to Betty? I pray that I am getting in, but since there are only 50 spots, most are going to in-state-students right? Should I give up?

Hi guys,

Soo, I am kinda PANICKING because I am an out-of-state-student, and I interviewed on December 7th. This school is actually my top choice and Betty said she would be calling us on December 21st, and I have still heard nothing. What are my chances now? I spent the entirety of the month of December waiting near my phone so that i wouldnt miss a call (I know they were on break and just started again on Jan. 7) Anyone know what I should do now? Should I email or call? Or reach out to Betty? I pray that I am getting in, but since there are only 50 spots, most are going to in-state-students right? Should I give up?

I interviewed this past weekend and she stated they were going to accept 5 OOS applicants and already handed 3 of those out, but expects them to go somewhere else. Don’t give up! She also said that they have only rejected 6 ppl post-interview in their 3 years and they have A LOT of waitlist movement.

Hi guys,

People get in off the WL later on, so as long as you have interviewed you still have a chance. There are only 5 OOS spots. If an accepted OOS student later changes their mind, an OOS spot could open up.

I am also out of state and feel the same way. sadface

Hi guys,

I interviewed this past weekend and she stated they were going to accept 5 OOS applicants and already handed 3 of those out, but expects them to go somewhere else. Don’t give up! She also said that they have only rejected 6 ppl post-interview in their 3 years and they have A LOT of waitlist movement.
ONLY 5 SPOTS?!?! Thats pretty small, and you said that they have already accepted 3?? Should I reach out, via email, and emphasize that this is my top school? I dont really want to sound desperate though...Do you know when I should be expecting a call?

People get in off the WL later on, so as long as you have interviewed you still have a chance. There are only 5 OOS spots. If an accepted OOS student later changes their mind, an OOS spot could open up.
How many get in off the WL? Should I be expecting bad news, or should be hopeful for good news? My plan was to make a move from my state to Texas but if I dont get this, I would feel stuck.

ONLY 5 SPOTS?!?! Thats pretty small, and you said that they have already accepted 3?? Should I reach out, via email, and emphasize that this is my top school? I dont really want to sound desperate though...Do you know when I should be expecting a call?

If you're truly genuine about attending the school, I would send a letter of intent (make it short & sweet). Make it clear that its your number #1 choice. There's no guarantee that it works, but I think it is worth a shot. The school values community and people genuinely interested in mission of improving the healthcare of The Valley. I'm a current student at UTRGV SOM so if you have any questions about the school, you're more than welcome to PM me.

How many get in off the WL? Should I be expecting bad news, or should be hopeful for good news? My plan was to make a move from my state to Texas but if I dont get this, I would feel stuck.
There are at most 5 OOS admitted (10% of the class size of 50). However, there is quite a bit of WL movement at this school.

Just out of curiosity, what makes this school your top choice?

Do I need to wait to hear if I have been accepted, waitlisted or rejected, to write a letter of intent??? How long should the letter be?

It's been a long admissions season for everyone. No matter what Texas SOM y'all rank #1. Here's hoping the Texas Match goes your way. Good luck!

Reactions: 8 users
So still waiting on a reply since my Interview on December 7th. I have sent thank you letters to the admissions team, betty, and both my interviewers. I also recently sent a letter of Interest. What should I do now? When should I hear back and what are my chances? I am an out of state student but this school is my top choice. The wait is pretty nerve-racking.

So still waiting on a reply since my Interview on December 7th. I have sent thank you letters to the admissions team, betty, and both my interviewers. I also recently sent a letter of Interest. What should I do now? When should I hear back and what are my chances? I am an out of state student but this school is my top choice. The wait is pretty nerve-racking.

You've done all you can on your end, the only thing to do is wait, unfortunately. Since you're OOS, match day won't affect you, but some of the TMDSAS schools have been known to send acceptances to OOS applicants around that time. You're on rolling admissions at this point, so you could hear back anytime between now and orientation (July 1st). Assuming all of the OOS seats (~5) are filled, you'll be on a WL and according to their website, OOS applicants are reviewed by a separate committee to fill an open OOS seats in the coming months. Hang in there, bud!

Didn’t match here this morning. I was on the pre-match waitlist... the waiting continues.

Didn’t match here this morning. I was on the pre-match waitlist... the waiting continues.

I held a pre-match here and just matched elsewhere. So maybe you'll get my spot! Good luck and hang in there

Reactions: 3 users
If you dont match, does that signify rejection or waitlisted?Should I call to ask?

I matched! So excited!