Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. gonnif

gonnif Only 680 Days Until Next Presidential Election
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    That's why my Father called me Son 'cause I am so bright (an that is likely the best of my Father's bad jokes)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Goro and MacBee like this.
  2. Med Ed

Physician Faculty 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not sure if this was deliberate on your part, but 502 is UTRGV's 10th percentile MCAT according the most recent MSAR. The mean is 508, which is about 2 points below the national average for matriculants.

Goro likes this.
  3. gonnif

gonnif Only 680 Days Until Next Presidential Election
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    My mistake. With a median 508 MCAT (about 29-30 old MCAT) eventual STEP 1 Pass Rates would be be 99%+

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Goro likes this.
  4. thegrind33

Pre-Medical
    That is the accepted, the matriculant is 505

5. Med Ed

Physician Faculty 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Mistakes all around!

I do wish the default setting on the MSAR was matriculants rather than accepted applicants. This is not the first time I have been tripped up.

But yes, the actual mean for matriculants is 505, with a 10th percentile of 498. This means that about 5 people in the most recent class have sub-498 MCATs, which increases the likelihood of academic troubles and Step failures commensurately. In that light I don't see a higher-than-average failure rate as an unexpected outcome.

thegrind33, Goro and wysdoc like this.
  6. parrotlet2016

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Since the sky is falling I might as well chime in. @navigator
    First, the "kicked out for drinking" has more backstory than that which I will not air out on sdn since that's a student's personal matter.
    Second, there's only 3 confirmed fails and maybe up to 5 so that number is a little off.
    Third, just because you hear from a few people of the unease they are feeling does not mean that extends to the entire class.
    Fourth, I know of 8+ people who got 240+ so no, not everyone got below average.
    Fifth, my rotations have been wonderful so stop generalizing. Please, stop speaking for my school when you don't even go here and experience it yourself.

Watah, audine, SciPhiDoc and 6 others like this.
  7. yourFutureDoktur

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you! I am interviewing here tomorrow and i really love the mission of UTRGV. Reading that post was a bit discouraging so thank you for this comment

parrotlet2016 likes this.
  8. parrotlet2016

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me. I have no problems stating both the good and bad, however what has currently been stated is exaggerated at best or just plain wrong.

9. Twelvehens24

At my interview here the students were super open about the school having some growing pains during the first years but also noted that the admin and the professors were open to feedback and were all really looking to help them succeed. Idk it’s to be expected that a new school has some problems in my opinion and the overall vibe I got from the school was positive and the students seemed genuinely happy

10. admittedinseattle

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'll toss in too @navigator

1) I'm at least one more student who's overall happy with my rotations so far. For anyone curious about the experience. I go in. I see patients. I present to my seniors. I offer a basic assessment and plan. And I'm pimped here on there on fair topics. Honestly, I'm not seeing the problem here.
    2) Concerning stats. Like @parrotlet2016 said we had a panel of students who scored 240+ give advice to the next class. Panel was plenty deep.
    3) Admin is responsive to our criticisms and advice. You can tell by the way that the class of 2022 is having a different experience from 2020. Could they be more open and responsive? Yes. But some rotations have already been tweaked to be better for the next round of students literally in between rotation periods. Again I'm not saying there's not work that could be done, but to say things remain stagnant is patently false.
    4) Finally, the only similarity between us and the Caribbean is the palm trees.

I'm also open to questions or PMs if you have questions.

And good luck to everyone during this admissions cycle!

ephackett, Chayote902, Watah and 7 others like this.
  11. red_tangoes

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Got 1 view on my video today at 2:00 am LMAO. Youtube Analytics says two different things for viewing time tho. One says 0 minutes watched, but then it also says average viewership 2:09 which was the entire duration of my video. Also says the data is processing, so I'll check again in 24 hours to see if it shows anything different and possibly the location of my viewer. My video is unlisted btw, so the only way someone can view it is if they have the link, which I only placed in my app.

zaitoun and confusedstudent213 like this.
  12. confusedstudent213

Pre-Medical
    Finally some movement!! When were you complete if you dont mind me asking?

13. red_tangoes

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    8/13

confusedstudent213 likes this.
  14. BloodJinx

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Got an II today!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

15. GuacDoc18

Pre-Medical
    stats?

zaitoun likes this.
  16. BloodJinx

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    LizzyM 69 URM

zaitoun likes this.
  17. red_tangoes

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When were you complete? I’m 67 LizzyM URM.

18. Mustang2015

Did anyone else's video got views but never got an II after? My video was viewed three times on Sep 24 but I never received an II. Rejection????

19. red_tangoes

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I received a single view last weekend and haven’t received anything. Feelsbadman

zaitoun likes this.
  20. ghostboy1234

Same. viewed twice on the 23rd...still early though only been 8 days since the official deadline

21. esob

esob Protomolecule
    Moderator Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    My video was viewed last week and then I received an II about 3 days later (complete early July). Unfortunately, they are booking into December now, so not much chance of prematching for those who receive II's from here on out.

zaitoun likes this.
  22. red_tangoes

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Bad news for me lol. Mine was viewed 2-3 weeks ago

zaitoun and Maya Tennson like this.
  23. tulsajoe94

Pre-Medical
    I never considered to look at my video views. Either I re-watched my video back in September or I've been put on a hard hold by UTRGV. What a simultaneously fun and depressing strategy to monitor your application progress lol.

24. lilsebastian18

Did you watch while in Tulsa? Check YouTube analytics. It’ll tell you what state your video was watched from, you can also see the source, it should be something like external source - UTRGV.edu. Just to help ease some anxiety.

red_tangoes and zaitoun like this.
  25. tulsajoe94

Pre-Medical
    100% RGV.edu

Love it!

red_tangoes and zaitoun like this.
  26. red_tangoes

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So, I just read that UTRGV doesn’t have a physical cadaver lab. They use a virtual one. Isn’t this a pretty big con? Wouldn’t you want to physically feel and see real tissues and organs and stuff?

zaitoun likes this.
  27. yourFutureDoktur

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Their lab was just like the othermedical schools I saw in Texas I don’t know where you Heard that information

28. lilsebastian18

I'm sure current students can speak more to their actual experience but from what I saw it was a pretty legit anatomy curriculum. I don't remember much about the virtual part but they have quite a few plastinates (think body world, if you've been) specific for each system. I think there is also the opportunity to do actual cadaver dissection in 3rd and 4th year ( I could be mixing up my schools for this one). I think its pretty cool, you don't have to smell the formaldehyde all the time, you spend more time studying rather than cutting. I interviewed at a school that did strictly virtual anatomy lab and it was no bueno, UTRGV was definitely not that at all.

zaitoun and red_tangoes like this.
  29. Watah

Watah SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Current student here. This is false. We don't have a traditional cadaver lab in a sense that we're given a cadaver tank to dissect. Instead, we have a lab of real human cadavers which are predissected and have undergone a plastinate preservation method similar to the famous human body exhibit. It's my understanding that they're more expensive to acquire than regular cadavers and we're actually one of the first schools in the country to begin to implement them. On one hand, we're exposed to professionally dissected samples that aren't messed up by that one guy in your group with shaky hands. On the other hand I guess we miss that "rite of passage/we all smelled like formaldehyde" aspect that perhaps your parents or whoever experienced.

MacBee, skeptastic and red_tangoes like this.
  30. Twelvehens24

Notable: NYU also uses plastinates. It’s not just RGV and it doesn’t really put you at a disadvantage at all

skeptastic and Watah like this.
  31. LikeAirIRise

II here 30 minutes ago! Texas resident and first Texas MD II

32. LikeAirIRise

I made the post at 12 PM lol

33. zaitoun

Pre-Medical
    Via email right? Just asking because I'm still waiting.

34. lilsebastian18

Not the person you asked, but I got an email and then logged onto the portal to pick a date.

zaitoun and LikeAirIRise like this.
  35. LikeAirIRise

Yeah it was an email

zaitoun likes this.
  36. premed0431

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Last interview date should be January 12th if I recall correctly.

zaitoun likes this.
  37. SpartyMed

Pre-Medical
    II yestersay at around 4:30pm. OOS.

zaitoun likes this.
  38. lilsebastian18

Odd question but maybe somebody can indulge me. For those who have already interviewed, does your video get views periodically? Or was there only a spurt a few weeks after the interview (presumably during the adcom review) and then nothing since.

zaitoun likes this.
  39. Morty c137

Yeah it’s been viewed 7 times since I interview here early October!

Lomology likes this.
  40. Lomology

2+ Year Member

I personally had one view the day before my interview, which I assume was my open file interviewer. Other than that, the week after I had 4 views which I assume were adcom review and then nothing since.

zaitoun likes this.
  41. premed0431

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    One of the medical students there told us that some of the medical students watch them for fun lol

zaitoun and MacBee like this.
  42. lilsebastian18

7 times?! Sounds like someone made a good video. My trend is more like Lomology. Had a few views around the time of my adcom review and then nothing since. Thanks for participating in my mini research project fellas, much appreciated!

zaitoun, Morty c137 and Lomology like this.
  43. Txpre_med

Did yall ever get a complete email from this school? or did everyone take the secondary submission email as a sign of being complete?

zaitoun likes this.
  44. slagathor19

Pre-Medical
    I’m interviewing here later this week, does anyone have any tips for the interview??? Is it more of a laid back environment or more serious?

45. lilsebastian18

Suuuuuuppppeeer laid back. The interviewers come get you, so the walk to and from whatever office you're interviewing in poses as a nice ice breaker. It was my first interview of the season and probably my most laid back. Generic, but really just be yourself. Talk to them like you would with anyone who asks about your passions and what makes you special, everyone I met was super friendly, even the contractors doing construction on one of the buildings. Good luck!!

zaitoun and slagathor19 like this.
  46. Lomology

2+ Year Member

As mentioned above, it's extremely laid back. Compared to other schools you could even say it feels a bit informal, at least in my experience.

slagathor19 likes this.
  47. Morty c137

Pretty sure my "open file" interviewer didnt show up lol... so both my interviews were blind but they were super chill!!

48. premed0431

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That happened to me!

zaitoun likes this.
  49. CaptainMan

Pre-Medical
    II today! OOS, non-resident, 67 LM ORM

tulsajoe94 and red_tangoes like this.
  50. tulsajoe94

Pre-Medical
    Guys, I'm starting to think I failed CASPer :help:

tby331 and red_tangoes like this.