2018-2019 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me. I have no problems stating both the good and bad, however what has currently been stated is exaggerated at best or just plain wrong.

At my interview here the students were super open about the school having some growing pains during the first years but also noted that the admin and the professors were open to feedback and were all really looking to help them succeed. Idk it’s to be expected that a new school has some problems in my opinion and the overall vibe I got from the school was positive and the students seemed genuinely happy

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll toss in too @navigator

1) I'm at least one more student who's overall happy with my rotations so far. For anyone curious about the experience. I go in. I see patients. I present to my seniors. I offer a basic assessment and plan. And I'm pimped here on there on fair topics. Honestly, I'm not seeing the problem here.
2) Concerning stats. Like @parrotlet2016 said we had a panel of students who scored 240+ give advice to the next class. Panel was plenty deep.
3) Admin is responsive to our criticisms and advice. You can tell by the way that the class of 2022 is having a different experience from 2020. Could they be more open and responsive? Yes. But some rotations have already been tweaked to be better for the next round of students literally in between rotation periods. Again I'm not saying there's not work that could be done, but to say things remain stagnant is patently false.
4) Finally, the only similarity between us and the Caribbean is the palm trees.

I'm also open to questions or PMs if you have questions.

And good luck to everyone during this admissions cycle!

Reactions: 10 users
Got 1 view on my video today at 2:00 am LMAO. Youtube Analytics says two different things for viewing time tho. One says 0 minutes watched, but then it also says average viewership 2:09 which was the entire duration of my video. Also says the data is processing, so I'll check again in 24 hours to see if it shows anything different and possibly the location of my viewer. My video is unlisted btw, so the only way someone can view it is if they have the link, which I only placed in my app.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got 1 view on my video today at 2:00 am LMAO. Youtube Analytics says two different things for viewing time tho. One says 0 minutes watched, but then it also says average viewership 2:09 which was the entire duration of my video. Also says the data is processing, so I'll check again in 24 hours to see if it shows anything different and possibly the location of my viewer. My video is unlisted btw, so the only way someone can view it is if they have the link, which I only placed in my app.
Finally some movement!! When were you complete if you dont mind me asking?

Did anyone else's video got views but never got an II after? My video was viewed three times on Sep 24 but I never received an II. Rejection????

Did anyone else's video got views but never got an II after? My video was viewed three times on Sep 24 but I never received an II. Rejection????
I received a single view last weekend and haven’t received anything. Feelsbadman

Reactions: 1 user

Same. viewed twice on the 23rd...still early though only been 8 days since the official deadline

My video was viewed last week and then I received an II about 3 days later (complete early July). Unfortunately, they are booking into December now, so not much chance of prematching for those who receive II's from here on out.

Members don't see this ad :)
My video was viewed last week and then I received an II about 3 days later (complete early July). Unfortunately, they are booking into December now, so not much chance of prematching for those who receive II's from here on out.
Bad news for me lol. Mine was viewed 2-3 weeks ago

I never considered to look at my video views. Either I re-watched my video back in September or I've been put on a hard hold by UTRGV. What a simultaneously fun and depressing strategy to monitor your application progress lol.

I never considered to look at my video views. Either I re-watched my video back in September or I've been put on a hard hold by UTRGV. What a simultaneously fun and depressing strategy to monitor your application progress lol.
Did you watch while in Tulsa? Check YouTube analytics. It’ll tell you what state your video was watched from, you can also see the source, it should be something like external source - UTRGV.edu. Just to help ease some anxiety.

So, I just read that UTRGV doesn’t have a physical cadaver lab. They use a virtual one. Isn’t this a pretty big con? Wouldn’t you want to physically feel and see real tissues and organs and stuff?

So, I just read that UTRGV doesn’t have a physical cadaver lab. They use a virtual one. Isn’t this a pretty big con? Wouldn’t you want to physically feel and see real tissues and organs and stuff?

Their lab was just like the othermedical schools I saw in Texas I don’t know where you Heard that information

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm sure current students can speak more to their actual experience but from what I saw it was a pretty legit anatomy curriculum. I don't remember much about the virtual part but they have quite a few plastinates (think body world, if you've been) specific for each system. I think there is also the opportunity to do actual cadaver dissection in 3rd and 4th year ( I could be mixing up my schools for this one). I think its pretty cool, you don't have to smell the formaldehyde all the time, you spend more time studying rather than cutting. I interviewed at a school that did strictly virtual anatomy lab and it was no bueno, UTRGV was definitely not that at all.

Current student here. This is false. We don't have a traditional cadaver lab in a sense that we're given a cadaver tank to dissect. Instead, we have a lab of real human cadavers which are predissected and have undergone a plastinate preservation method similar to the famous human body exhibit. It's my understanding that they're more expensive to acquire than regular cadavers and we're actually one of the first schools in the country to begin to implement them. On one hand, we're exposed to professionally dissected samples that aren't messed up by that one guy in your group with shaky hands. On the other hand I guess we miss that "rite of passage/we all smelled like formaldehyde" aspect that perhaps your parents or whoever experienced.

Notable: NYU also uses plastinates. It’s not just RGV and it doesn’t really put you at a disadvantage at all

II here 30 minutes ago! Texas resident and first Texas MD II

Reactions: 8 users
Last interview date should be January 12th if I recall correctly.

Odd question but maybe somebody can indulge me. For those who have already interviewed, does your video get views periodically? Or was there only a spurt a few weeks after the interview (presumably during the adcom review) and then nothing since.

Odd question but maybe somebody can indulge me. For those who have already interviewed, does your video get views periodically? Or was there only a spurt a few weeks after the interview (presumably during the adcom review) and then nothing since.
Yeah it’s been viewed 7 times since I interview here early October!

I personally had one view the day before my interview, which I assume was my open file interviewer. Other than that, the week after I had 4 views which I assume were adcom review and then nothing since.

One of the medical students there told us that some of the medical students watch them for fun lol

Yeah it’s been viewed 7 times since I interview here early October!
I personally had one view the day before my interview, which I assume was my open file interviewer. Other than that, the week after I had 4 views which I assume were adcom review and then nothing since.

7 times?! Sounds like someone made a good video. My trend is more like Lomology. Had a few views around the time of my adcom review and then nothing since. Thanks for participating in my mini research project fellas, much appreciated!

Did yall ever get a complete email from this school? or did everyone take the secondary submission email as a sign of being complete?

I’m interviewing here later this week, does anyone have any tips for the interview??? Is it more of a laid back environment or more serious?

I’m interviewing here later this week, does anyone have any tips for the interview??? Is it more of a laid back environment or more serious?
Suuuuuuppppeeer laid back. The interviewers come get you, so the walk to and from whatever office you're interviewing in poses as a nice ice breaker. It was my first interview of the season and probably my most laid back. Generic, but really just be yourself. Talk to them like you would with anyone who asks about your passions and what makes you special, everyone I met was super friendly, even the contractors doing construction on one of the buildings. Good luck!!

As mentioned above, it's extremely laid back. Compared to other schools you could even say it feels a bit informal, at least in my experience.

Pretty sure my "open file" interviewer didnt show up lol... so both my interviews were blind but they were super chill!!

II today! OOS, non-resident, 67 LM ORM

Last edited:
Hey I had an interview in October here and I just recently realized my video for the secondary got switched to private. Should I email them that I have switched it back since I'm seeing on here that people have gotten recent views after interviewing. Don't want this to affect my chances...

Hey I had an interview in October here and I just recently realized my video for the secondary got switched to private. Should I email them that I have switched it back since I'm seeing on here that people have gotten recent views after interviewing. Don't want this to affect my chances...

The privacy setting you set shouldn't affect their ability to view your video since they can access it from the secondary website. Mine has been private and unlisted since I first submitted.

Any OOS applicants who have interviewed heard back yet?

Think the first round will happen late November from what they told us at my interview , cause today they are meeting to discuss interviews from oct 20

One of the medical students there told us that some of the medical students watch them for fun lol
This is a little bothersome -- unless the students are viewing videos for which the links are freely available [i.e., the video can be found by a simple web search], this would mean that someone on the Admissions Committee is sharing the link. Something, like all other information in the Admissions package, that is supposed to be kept confidential. I'm kind of a crank about that sort of thing.