2018-2019 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*logs onto SDN without a phone call*

My brain:
Don’t say it
Don’t say it
Don’t say it
Don’t say it
Don’t say it
Don’t say it
Don’t say it
Don’t say it

Me: Is all hope lost?

But really, here’s to hoping for next week! And if not, then here’s to everyday until 12/31! And if not, then 2/1 it is!

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you that received an acceptance today, congratulations! I was wondering if you guys had new views of your video in the last few days leading up to today’s prematch.

Members don't see this ad :)
To anyone disheartened for no prematching, please keep your head up high, I know it’s easier to say it but there are like more than 10 people I know who have prematch offers to 3+ schools, they are gonna have to pick one at the end and more spots will open up. And more than likely, if you interviewed, you will get in somewhere. But don’t lose hope just yet. Enjoy your weekend and cheer up :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
II today by email! LizzyM 66.7, URM, completed secondary 2nd week of August, lots of connections to the Valley but not from there, secondary video viewed once in early October.

Haven’t checked the portal for dates yet as I am just waking up. Will update shortly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
II today by email! LizzyM 66.7, URM, completed secondary 2nd week of August, lots of connections to the Valley but not from there, secondary video viewed once in early October.

Haven’t checked the portal for dates yet as I am just waking up. Will update shortly.

I had dates 12/1, 12/3, 1/7, and 1/12. I wanted 12/1 or 12/3, but in the time I checked flight and hotel costs those dates were taken. So now I’m left with the January dates.

MS1 here too! Feel free to message me!

Also, for anyone dreading not prematching or whatever, I came off the waitlist in June in the middle of filling out my reapplication.
Don't focus on the things you can't control, I'm sure a bunch of you will match or come off the waitlist.
wow, congrats!

For those of you that have already interviewed here, what kinds of questions are to be expected in the two different interviews?

Reactions: 1 user
Prematched. LM 61 since someone asked earlier. Really good ECS.

I was looking at the requirements page today and noticed they put a minimum science GPA of a 3.2 but their msar average is a 3.2. Is this kind of a soft requirement? Confused about this

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I was looking at the requirements page today and noticed they put a minimum science GPA of a 3.2 but their msar average is a 3.2. Is this kind of a soft requirement? Confused about this

They make exceptions. Someone posted a figure from the school that shows if you don’t meet their requirements, your application is sent to someone to review holistically before possibly screening you out. So, if they think you fit their mission, they will make an exception.

wow congrats!

Other than the contingency form, is there something else we need to do in ordrer to accept the prematch offer?

Any MS1 here to answer a few questions through PM? I would appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Happy to answer any PMs!

Also for those that don't prematch or match what @Watah said about waitlist movement is 100% truth, there are lots in our class who came off the waitlist late, so don't ever give up hope.

Happy to answer any PMs!

Also for those that don't prematch or match what @Watah said about waitlist movement is 100% truth, there are lots in our class who came off the waitlist late, so don't ever give up hope.
glad to hear

I just withdrew my prematch offer here. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
II today. Only day available is this Friday. It's too short notice.
Does anyone know if more dates will open up?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

II today. Only day available is this Friday. It's too short notice.
Does anyone know if more dates will open up?

I will most likely be canceling my interview this week, so there should be a spot in December opening up. Love the school and love the valley but I don't see myself ranking UTRGV over my prematches, so someone else deserves the interview slot.

Reactions: 6 users
I will most likely be canceling my interview this week, so there should be a spot in December opening up. Love the school and love the valley but I don't see myself ranking UTRGV over my prematches, so someone else deserves the interview slot.
Thank you!! And congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
congrats!

II! Definitely unexpected. Completed in June. ORM, OOS, no ties to the RGV region (except an ex-bf was from here...they don't know that tho haha).
I will likely decline my II and hopefully they give the spot to one of y'all.

Right now I see dates in Nov (1), Dec (2), and Jan (1). Hope this gives some hope to those still waiting :)

Reactions: 12 users
Does anyone know when we will receive financial information, etc.? Just curious

Interviewed here yesterday. Ms. Betty said more pre-match news will come out December 10th.

Interviewed here yesterday. Ms. Betty said more pre-match news will come out December 10th.
To add to this, a friend of mine got a call from them a few days ago for prematch. Be on the lookout for that 956 area code.

Is accepting prematch offer/filling out the contingency forms binding?

Is accepting prematch offer/filling out the contingency forms binding?
Not binding at this stage. You may accept one or more prematch offers, and then for your match list, due by January 18th 5pm Central Time, rank all schools where you have interviewed in your true order of preference.

I did not plan on attending this school and already have other acceptances, but also just got a waitlist. I withdrew my app. But how can they waitlist before the match? Was just curious

I did not plan on attending this school and already have other acceptances, but also just got a waitlist. I withdrew my app. But how can they waitlist before the match? Was just curious
It's the basis of if you aren't on their pre-match list, you are waitlist. So this is a nice way of letting everyone know if they made pre-match or not. And fyi: the let people know about waitlist via email...just got mine.

It's the basis of if you aren't on their pre-match list, you are waitlist. So this is a nice way of letting everyone know if they made pre-match or not. And fyi: the let people know about waitlist via email...just got mine.
I thought they said majority end up matching rather than pre-matching. So don’t most people make waitlist? UTRGV is way too far from home for me but it’s nice they let people know if they didn’t prematfh.

In one of the prematch emails I was sent, they accidentally (?) included an excel sheet with all the people that were given prematch offers. There was about 38 people given prematches with two being OOS. So it would appear they try to prematch most of their class.
Wow. Oops.

In one of the prematch emails I was sent, they accidentally (?) included an excel sheet with all the people that were given prematch offers. There was about 38 people given prematches with two being OOS. So it would appear they try to prematch most of their class.
I’d imagine they send 2-3 acceptances per seat especially because of their low “rank” not saying that rank really matters or anything

I’d imagine they send 2-3 acceptances per seat especially because of their low “rank” not saying that rank really matters or anything
Yeah, this definitely makes sense. The valley isn't that desirable to live in for most people too, even among those that are from there.

Yeah, this definitely makes sense. The valley isn't that desirable to live in for most people too, even among those that are from there.
I still think it’s a great school, out of all the schools in Texas I was most impressed with UTMB, Baylor, and UTRGV

Got my waitlist email as well. It didn't have the "very favorable" wording as in past years though. I can only hope that those who've pre-match decide to go elsewhere! BTW. I interviewed Nov. 9th

Received a waitlist from here too... Does this mean that we still have a chance to match come Feb 1?

Received a waitlist from here too... Does this mean that we still hay ve a chance to match come Feb 1?
What time did you get the email?

I think it is a waitlist to pre-match, you still have match day to get accepted!

What time did you get the email?

I think it is a waitlist to pre-match, you still have match day to get accepted!

6:36pm EST. Thanks for the clarification! Hoping to get some love from here in February!

Got my waitlist email as well. It didn't have the "very favorable" wording as in past years though. I can only hope that those who've pre-match decide to go elsewhere! BTW. I interviewed Nov. 9th

Oh, hmm. I interviewed in October and I haven't yet gotten an email from UTRGV :(