2018-2019 University of Texas Southwestern Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Required Essays: Respond to all three questions below and limit answers to 5000 characters per question. Please use specific, concrete examples from your past experiences.

1. Describe a group project or activity of which you are most proud. *Required
Consider the following in your response: What aspect made you most proud? How was it accomplished? How did you deal with disagreement or conflict in the group? How did you get fellow group members to embrace a position or view your perspective?

2. Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination. *Required
Consider the following in your response: What did you do? What made the situation difficult for you personally? Describe your reaction and what you might do differently now in retrospect.

3. Describe an example of a very difficult assignment, task, or situation that you did not think you could accomplish. *Required
Consider the following in your response: How did you approach it? If you were tempted to quit, why did or didn’t you? What made you stay the course despite obstacles? What did you learn from the experience?

4. Have you engaged in any public service activities for a duration of greater than a year in length (examples: Military, Peace Corps, Teach for America, etc.). Yes or No? If so, please describe the experience and impact on your personal and professional development. Please limit your response to 5000 characters or less. *Optional

5. Please explain any academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know. Please limit your response to 5000 characters or less. *Optional
Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
5000 characters seems like kinda a lot for each essay. Isn't the general rule of thumb that they want the amount of depth allowed by the character limit? So a 2000 character response might not have the depth their looking for.

Reactions: 1 user
Dang. Wished these questions were available last year. Have better answers to these questions than ones from last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
5000 characters seems like kinda a lot for each essay. Isn't the general rule of thumb that they want the amount of depth allowed by the character limit? So a 2000 character response might not have the depth their looking for.

Yeah man, this is going to be the longest secondary I write this cycle at around 800 words for 3 or 4 essays. Hopefully the work will pay off :)

Is there any point in submitting the secondary before your primary is verified and sent to the school? I mean they won't even look at the secondary until they receive your primary right?

Is there any point in submitting the secondary before your primary is verified and sent to the school? I mean they won't even look at the secondary until they receive your primary right?
just to clarify, if your app is ‘transmitted’ does this mean it’s verified? So many different terms

Anyone submit their secondary yet? I need some motivation to pump this out faster lol

Ha me too. Has your primary already been transmitted?

Yeah I was transmitted 5/15, currently trying to finish up A&M’ secondary so I can dedicate fully on UTSWs before the AMCAS secondary storm begins

Just received the 'The application review process has begun' email. Transmitted May 4, Secondary submitted May 22.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got the email that primary has started review last Thursday 5/24. Primary submitted 5/11, secondary submitted 5/17!

Guys I just went and opened up the secondary to submit it, but it appears they completely changed it AGAIN??? and back to the old prompts? along with inputting the prerequisite courses. Pleaaase, tell me I didn't write three brand new 5000 character essays for no reason. Anybody else?

Update: wow this is weird, so apparently there are two different links to the secondary app. One of them takes you to one that says Entry Year 2019 but setup like the old secondary. Everything is the same login on the mygateway site The other link takes you to a different application with the new prompts, again with the same login info. I'm so confused as they are both labeled EY2019. Which one to fill?

Guys I just went and opened up the secondary to submit it, but it appears they completely changed it AGAIN??? and back to the old prompts? along with inputting the prerequisite courses. Pleaaase, tell me I didn't write three brand new 5000 character essays for no reason. Anybody else?

Update: wow this is weird, so apparently there are two different links to the secondary app. One of them takes you to one that says Entry Year 2019 but setup like the old secondary. Everything is the same login on the mygateway site The other link takes you to a different application with the new prompts, again with the same login info. I'm so confused as they are both labeled EY2019. Which one to fill?

I'm not seeing how you are getting to any old essay prompts. I clicked around on the admissions page and it always took me back to the new secondary.

Admissions

If you login using this link, it shows the old secondary. But I think the new one is correct because although this one lets you log in, and says EY2019, the last updated stamp in the top left says 05/12/2015.

Admissions

If you login using this link, it shows the old secondary. But I think the new one is correct because although this one lets you log in, and says EY2019, the last updated stamp in the top left says 05/12/2015.

Ok yeah so they never updated the build for that link. It'll bring up the old secondary which is incorrect as the stamp is 2015. Just use the link on the new page to get the one that says updated in 2018

Whew, FINALLY submitted this super long secondary. Hopefully it will yield some good news :)

Hi everyone, I would like to get your opinion on what I should do. For the third required prompt, there are two separate stories that I would like to share with the adcoms. I know the prompt asks for one experience, but the 5000 character limit will leave me with a lot of extra space. Do you think I should:

1. Choose one of the experiences and elaborate more.

2. Write about both experiences. My concern is that my two examples are not related to each other, so the flow may be a bit weird.

Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone, I would like to get your opinion on what I should do. For the third required prompt, there are two separate stories that I would like to share with the adcoms. I know the prompt asks for one experience, but the 5000 character limit will leave me with a lot of extra space. Do you think I should:

2. Write about both experiences. My concern is that my two examples are not related to each other, so the flow may be a bit weird.

Thanks for your help!
I personally would do option one

Thanks for your help!

Choose one and write a tighter essay is my opinion.

One more question: For the second prompt, is it asking for a time I personally experienced discrimination/harassment, or is it asking for a time I witnessed someone else experiencing discrimination/harassment?

One more question: For the second prompt, is it asking for a time I personally experienced discrimination/harassment, or is it asking for a time I witnessed someone else experiencing discrimination/harassment?
a) witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly
OR
b) experienced (yourself) behavior of harassment or discrimination.

Any advise about the optional essay in regards to "public service activities"? I've never worked with the peace corp, teach for america, or military, but I've worked as a paramedic for a city government, and I've volunteered for non-profits that work in the community. Their examples seem specific so I'm not sure if I should leave this blank (which is something I wouldn't normally do), or talk about another experience that I think could fit this prompt. Any ideas?

a) witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly
OR
b) experienced (yourself) behavior of harassment or discrimination.
Do you think I answered the prompt if I talked about a time I witnessed someone else being harassed and how I reacted to the situation?

Any advise about the optional essay in regards to "public service activities"? I've never worked with the peace corp, teach for america, or military, but I've worked as a paramedic for a city government, and I've volunteered for non-profits that work in the community. Their examples seem specific so I'm not sure if I should leave this blank (which is something I wouldn't normally do), or talk about another experience that I think could fit this prompt. Any ideas?

I think its important to clarify between public service and community service. They asking for public

I think its important to clarify between public service and community service. They asking for public

Agreed. I guess I’m wondering if my paid employment as a paramedic for a city entity would fit that. It’s definitely public service, but their examples in the prompt seem very specific to a certain type of public service

Agreed. I guess I’m wondering if my paid employment as a paramedic for a city entity would fit that. It’s definitely public service, but their examples in the prompt seem very specific to a certain type of public service

When I think “public service” I think working for the civil service or military. If you talk about being a paramedic elsewhere in your app, I would probably not write an essay about it on this secondary. Up to you, I can see your angle on it

Just wanted to say good luck, y'all! Current Ms2 (feels weird to write that now, lol.) Feel free to ask any questions either here or over PM :)

How is everyone approaching the 5000 character limit? It seems like a lot to write for a secondary.

Since this is a new secondary, I can't speak to what they want, but there was the same character limit for the old one and I (as well as most applicants) were well under 5000. If you feel like you've answered the question, don't feel obligated to put more. I don't think they take the secondary that seriously, at least in the past -- there were some applicants who were interviewed without ever submitting the secondary.

Reactions: 4 users
For the third prompt, does death in the family affecting academic performance seem like a fair topic? It was a very difficult situation but I can't tell if they'd rather want us to focus on a specific assignment.

For the third prompt, does death in the family affecting academic performance seem like a fair topic? It was a very difficult situation but I can't tell if they'd rather want us to focus on a specific assignment.
I'd say so, yes. I talked about a very difficult situation in mine.

For the last question asking about "academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances," would it be appropriate to tell them that I will be moving abroad for the year starting in late September / early October? I am hoping that if I tell them I will be going abroad, they will consider me for an earlier interview date before I left the country. Could I tell them about this for the "extenuating circumstances" part of the question?

For the last question asking about "academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances," would it be appropriate to tell them that I will be moving abroad for the year starting in late September / early October? I am hoping that if I tell them I will be going abroad, they will consider me for an earlier interview date before I left the country. Could I tell them about this for the "extenuating circumstances" part of the question?
I wouldn't personally. That essay is more for people who faced obstacles that affected their academics. Btw, most people advise refraining from traveling abroad during app season...

Do most people answer the optional question about extenuating circumstances? I can't think of anything to write about, but I heard from my adviser that it's looked down upon to not answer a prompt...

Do most people answer the optional question about extenuating circumstances? I can't think of anything to write about, but I heard from my adviser that it's looked down upon to not answer a prompt...

Your adviser was talking about the optional TMDSAS diversity prompt, which absolutely no one should leave blank and any optional prompts where you have additional space to expand on your experiences should also always be done.

This isn't one of those optional prompts, and it's perfectly okay to leave "extenuating circumstances/academic discrepancies" optional prompts blank.

Your adviser was talking about the optional TMDSAS diversity prompt, which absolutely no one should leave blank and any optional prompts where you have additional space to expand on your experiences should also always be done.

This isn't one of those optional prompts, and it's perfectly okay to leave "extenuating circumstances/academic discrepancies" optional prompts blank.
If that's your pic, you should consider changing your image on your avatar to preserve anonymity...

If any of ya'll are wanting to bolster your app during this application cycle, DM me. We're hiring an MCAT instructor for the summer in Dallas. Teaching while I applied really helped bolster my "what are you doing this year" question in interviews.

What have you guys been talking about for the first prompt? I started an essay based on an orientation event that I was the leader on but it required my team of ~5 members to work together to pull off a successful event...does this sound like a good topic?

What have you guys been talking about for the first prompt? I started an essay based on an orientation event that I was the leader on but it required my team of ~5 members to work together to pull off a successful event...does this sound like a good topic?
Sounds like a great topic to me.

So I guess general guidance type of question. As they have the "things to consider" questions that supplement the topics, do we have to answer every single one of those mini questions through the course of the essay? Or are they just sorta guidelines that aren't hard and fast requirements?

Just wanted to say good luck, y'all! Current Ms2 (feels weird to write that now, lol.) Feel free to ask any questions either here or over PM :)
Lol I think I scoured the thread of the year you got in and last year bc your name is familiar! Thank you for giving insight on what it’s like at UTSW as a med student, was super helpful to hear what it’s like from the inside