2018-2019 University of Texas Southwestern Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will match results be available midnight on Feb. 1? Or is it like 8 AM or 5 PM?
I was told match results will be available at 8am February 1st

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes to what Lomology said. I interviewed here last year and this is what they said in their waitlist email:
"What about a lettter of intent?
Unless you withdraw your application from UTSW we will presume that you would consider an offer of acceptance from us... No additonal letter is necessary."

I wonder if a LOI would hurt at this point though. Given how the waitlist works for TMDSAS schools, if one is on the waitlist at UTSW it means he or she ranked it above whatever school they were matched to. I think UTSW would be aware it is the preferred choice of the applicant, which might be why they say LOI’s are unnecessary. Prior to match though, they wouldnt know for sure how an applicant feels. Given that, I’m tempted to send one, but I also don’t want to unnecessarily burden them or potentially hurt my chances. Not sure if any of that is really accurate, just thinking out loud & speculating. Would love to hear other people’s thoughts!

I wonder if a LOI would hurt at this point though. Given how the waitlist works for TMDSAS schools, if one is on the waitlist at UTSW it means he or she ranked it above whatever school they were matched to. I think UTSW would be aware it is the preferred choice of the applicant, which might be why they say LOI’s are unnecessary. Prior to match though, they wouldnt know for sure how an applicant feels. Given that, I’m tempted to send one, but I also don’t want to unnecessarily burden them or potentially hurt my chances. Not sure if any of that is really accurate, just thinking out loud & speculating. Would love to hear other people’s thoughts!
In my opinion (take what I say with a grain of salt), a LOI means next to nothing unless you have something to leverage against it. Say you have an acceptance at a Top 20 but UTSW is your preference, you could say that you really want to go to UTSW and you would pick it over your other acceptance if you were admitted. I don’t think just saying “hey I’m interested in your school” will do much; you applied and interviewed and all that, so they know you’re interested. Granted I also don’t think it would necessarily hurt, just don’t expect a LOI to be the thing that gets you in.
I’m in no way someone that knows that for sure, however. If you think that it would help you, more power to you! Good luck and I hope it works out in your favor!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how examinations work at UTSW? How many exams per course and if the final for each course is an NBME ?
Also, what is the typical weekly and daily schedule of a student here?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how examinations work at UTSW? How many exams per course and if the final for each course is an NBME ?
Also, what is the typical weekly and daily schedule of a student here?
I think the exams are inhouse

What are the biggest cons about UTSW? Besides the whole “gunner” thing and them changing from true P/F to H/HP/P/F.

Btw I didn’t sense a “gunner” vibe from there. The students reminded me of the ones I met at Long (the school I’m comparing UTSW with). Tho, they did say with the changing of the grading system the gunners may surface.

What are the biggest cons about UTSW? Besides the whole “gunner” thing and them changing from true P/F to H/HP/P/F.

Btw I didn’t sense a “gunner” vibe from there. The students reminded me of the ones I met at Long (the school I’m comparing UTSW with). Tho, they did say with the changing of the grading system the gunners may surface.
Wait UTSW is going back to P/F with distinctions?

I think it’s true p/f in the pre-clerkship, or at least the first semester, and then p/f with distinctions for clerkship. That’s all I could find searching around but it may be worth reaching out to them to find out for certain, or if a current student could weigh-in.

Where did you hear that they're changing to H/HP/P/F? Their website still says P/F, and they said P/F at my interview in December

Edit: I thought it had always been H/HP/P/F for clerkships?

Where did you hear that they're changing to H/HP/P/F? Their website still says P/F, and they said P/F at my interview in December

Edit: I thought it had always been H/HP/P/F for clerkships?
Thats what I understood aswell.

I think this person is referring to the fact that starting this year preclerkship grades are considered for AOA. Though this change might be a little stressful, I doubt it’ll cause gunners to surface and ultimately doesn’t seem that big a deal.
Honestly though, the more I've thought about it, who cares if there's gunners? Based on the premed population every school is bound to have them regardless of the way things are graded. Just do you and ignore them, as many of the genuine people will be doing.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hellloooo current student surfacing to clear things up!

Our exams are in-house with a CBSSA given at the end of MS1 and a NBME (my class did NBME 13) at the end of preclerkship. There's usually per class a quiz or two, depending on the length of the class, and then a final.

We are still pass/fail for preclerkships, and still H/HP/P/F (I think there's a near honors category as well? I'm on my first clerkship right now so I don't know exactly how it works) for clerkships. What has changed is that now the IM block (so the 2nd and 3rd preclinical semester) grades will count towards AOA (so semester 1 is true P/F, and the second two semesters are a modified P/F, similar to other P/F schools like Baylor). My understanding is that the majority of AOA consideration will come from clerkship grades, but those preclerkship grades will make up a smaller part of the puzzle, just like Step 1 score and extracurriculars do currently.

To reiterate as I've posted a lot about this, I really have not run into gunners here. Maybe that changes significantly on clerkships or for IM blocks now with the AOA change, but I honestly doubt it.

That’s what I understood from my interview on 1/5. Something about AOA wanting to be able to distinguish students. I could have misunderstood though. BUT I do remember Dr. Mihalic saying they are changing the pre-clerkship grading and some of the students giving us the tour talked about UTSW possibly becoming more competitive due to it.

Do y’all know if the match results come via an email from UTSW or is it in our TMDSAS portal?
According to the TMDSAS website, match results come directly from the TMDSAS portal

Just sharing my bit of insight on the match process (as a reapplicant who has read everything imaginable about it).
Jan 18 is the day where you need to submit your rank. the schools do the same. Then the magical match gods will decide your fate.
They will magically pull your name out of the sorting hat saying where you go. Starting from your top choice they will see if the school ranked you high enough to get in. Then one of two things happen:
1: If you get in then your application is immediately withdrawn to all schools ranked below this one.
or
2: if you did not get in than you are automatically put on the waitlist for this school, the match gods then try your second choice and this repeats itself until you are all sorted (or not - ie me last cycle :.(

Feb 1 is the witching hour where all is revealed. at 8am our time (central time) the truth is revealed.
You have to log onto your TMDSAS portal and then go to where you ranked your schools and at the top it will say either "you matched to __" or it will say "you did not match to any schools"
THERE DO NOT EMAIL YOU at all.

Then after that the math gods retire and it becomes just like any other college applications (ie all of the AMCAS schools)

Reactions: 4 users
Pre-clerkship grading is not changing. AOA is the only thing that is changing. For 3 years AOA has not factored in pre-clerkship grades, and as a result some people who did amazing in pre-clerkship did not get AOA whereas some people who barely passed pre-clerkship got AOA. So the thought was to add one more category to the many categories that make up AOA applications, and that category includes semesters 2 and 3 of pre-clerkship. The way it's included doesn't even preclude anyone from getting it, it's not based on ranking in pre-clerkship, it's based on exactly what grades you got (like if you averaged 94% in IM blocks you get 9 points out of 10, or something like that -- I need to go to bed and don't have time to look up the exact criteria). Anyway, it's not a big deal, basically if you REALLY think your life will be ruined if you don't get AOA (it won't be), then you will study as hard as you can and get the best grade you are capable of getting. Everyone SHOULD be trying to get the best grade they can to begin with since patients' lives could potentially depend on it in the future (I did NOT study enough and am bummed about it now that I am in clerkships).

TLDR - UTSW is still true pass/fail for pre-clerkship

Reactions: 3 users
So the class rank quartiles are still only based on the clinical year?

Does anyone else wish they had the opportunity to see the new simulation center and/or the anatomy lab on interview day? Do they show more of the facilities during second look?

Does anyone else wish they had the opportunity to see the new simulation center and/or the anatomy lab on interview day? Do they show more of the facilities during second look?
I don't think you'll ever see the anatomy lab until you start anatomy. We aren't even allowed in there except during the 3 months of the anatomy course, and then if we are anatomy TAs or taking an anatomy elective later on. This is to protect the privacy of the people who donated their bodies.
The sim center is beautiful, but it's a 10 minute walk each way, so I'm not sure how they'd fit that into an already packed schedule, but they might, I'm not involved in planning MS0 this year unfortunately (too much going on during clinicals).

Hellloooo current student surfacing to clear things up!

Our exams are in-house with a CBSSA given at the end of MS1 and a NBME (my class did NBME 13) at the end of preclerkship. There's usually per class a quiz or two, depending on the length of the class, and then a final.

We are still pass/fail for preclerkships, and still H/HP/P/F (I think there's a near honors category as well? I'm on my first clerkship right now so I don't know exactly how it works) for clerkships. What has changed is that now the IM block (so the 2nd and 3rd preclinical semester) grades will count towards AOA (so semester 1 is true P/F, and the second two semesters are a modified P/F, similar to other P/F schools like Baylor). My understanding is that the majority of AOA consideration will come from clerkship grades, but those preclerkship grades will make up a smaller part of the puzzle, just like Step 1 score and extracurriculars do currently.

To reiterate as I've posted a lot about this, I really have not run into gunners here. Maybe that changes significantly on clerkships or for IM blocks now with the AOA change, but I honestly doubt it.

How have you felt having only one exam per class? I feel like it could be stressful for your outcome in the class to solely depend on one exam rather than having the opportunity to improve if you mess up.

I don't think you'll ever see the anatomy lab until you start anatomy. We aren't even allowed in there except during the 3 months of the anatomy course, and then if we are anatomy TAs or taking an anatomy elective later on. This is to protect the privacy of the people who donated their bodies.
The sim center is beautiful, but it's a 10 minute walk each way, so I'm not sure how they'd fit that into an already packed schedule, but they might, I'm not involved in planning MS0 this year unfortunately (too much going on during clinicals).

Okay, thanks for your response !

Hey! I was wondering if you had any insight on how the process looks for OOS students from here? I fell in love with UTSW during my interview weekend in November but haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Just sharing my bit of insight on the match process (as a reapplicant who has read everything imaginable about it).
Jan 18 is the day where you need to submit your rank. the schools do the same. Then the magical match gods will decide your fate.
They will magically pull your name out of the sorting hat saying where you go. Starting from your top choice they will see if the school ranked you high enough to get in. Then one of two things happen:
1: If you get in then your application is immediately withdrawn to all schools ranked below this one.
or
2: if you did not get in than you are automatically put on the waitlist for this school, the match gods then try your second choice and this repeats itself until you are all sorted (or not - ie me last cycle :.(

Feb 1 is the witching hour where all is revealed. at 8am our time (central time) the truth is revealed.
You have to log onto your TMDSAS portal and then go to where you ranked your schools and at the top it will say either "you matched to __" or it will say "you did not match to any schools"
THERE DO NOT EMAIL YOU at all.

Then after that the math gods retire and it becomes just like any other college applications (ie all of the AMCAS schools)

How have you felt having only one exam per class? I feel like it could be stressful for your outcome in the class to solely depend on one exam rather than having the opportunity to improve if you mess up.

It's not been stressful at all. The exams are usually only worth ~40% of your grade for the class anyway. The rest comes from quizzes, TBLs, etc. I would use the quizzes as a way to gauge how I was doing and then see what I needed to improve for the final, so I think there's ample opportunity to improve if you mess up.

Hey! I was wondering if you had any insight on how the process looks for OOS students from here? I fell in love with UTSW during my interview weekend in November but haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks so much for sharing!
I've answered this question multiple times with my experience applying OOS so just find those posts!

Does utsw have some kind of mentoring program where MS1's are paired with an upperclassman? I can't remember which school I interviewed at has this...

Does utsw have some kind of mentoring program where MS1's are paired with an upperclassman? I can't remember which school I interviewed at has this...
Not sure about that, but I know each of the colleges gets a few doctors (or was it just one?) as mentors that you meet with.

We are paired by colleges groups. My faculty mentor has 4th years, 3rd years (my group), and 1st years right now, so we mentor the groups below us.
Additionally, other groups do pair people up one-on-one if you are interested. I have "littles" through AMWA (the women's association).

So most people do not send in LOI? I am wondering if I should send one after Friday once officially on the waitlist (which is what I assume will happen lol)

Going to throw this out there and see what the response is. OK...Texas resident, no II's, no match (obviously), but no outright R's. Do I wait and see what happens after match acceptances or call it a day and move on from Texas?
MCAT: 513
GPA: 3.54

Going to throw this out there and see what the response is. OK...Texas resident, no II's, no match (obviously), but no outright R's. Do I wait and see what happens after match acceptances or call it a day and move on from Texas?
Did you say you have had no interviews in Texas? Unfortunately, you can't match or get an offer of acceptance without an interview. Had you by any chance applied to DO schools or the newest TX school in Ft Worth before the deadline? The Fort Worth school interviews through the end of April and is still inviting, and UIWSOM is still sending interview invites.

Last edited:

All TX schools in TMDSAS are done interviewing unfortunately. Not sure about the ones in AMCAS and AACOMAS.

Did anyone actually get a match acceptance lol? (no prematch)

Does anyone have a timeline for waitlist? Like do they release in batches or just individuals? And is there a firm deadline for the last chance to get off waitlist?

Does anyone have a timeline for waitlist? Like do they release in batches or just individuals? And is there a firm deadline for the last chance to get off waitlist?
You can get an offer from a WL up to the day of orientation, unless you hold another acceptance to another TX school and then only until June 1st.

Okay, so other Texas school's posts are blowing up with matches.
So Sanity Check: Is it logical to think there is a chance UTSW results were not announced yet? Or do we know every school release the results at the same time?

So Sanity Check: Is it logical to think there is a chance UTSW results were not announced yet? Or do we know every school release the results at the same time?
Are you an OOS applicant?

Well don't they go down the list? So they have to check with your first rank (I assume UTSW) before they get to your subsequent choices. Before they get to the bottom of your list, before they ultimately tell you that you received no matches. Pls correct if wrong

Well don't they go down the list? So they have to check with your first rank (I assume UTSW) before they get to your subsequent choices. Before they get to the bottom of your list, before they ultimately tell you that you received no matches. Pls correct if wrong
Um, no. The computers have already been grinding out the results of all the Texas applicants rank lists over the last 2 weeks and what you see on your TMDSAS portal is the final result of this process.
On the portal you will see either "You have matched to School X" -or- "No Match".

Um, no. The computers have already been grinding out the results of all the Texas applicants rank lists over the last 2 weeks and what you see on your TMDSAS portal is the final result of this process.
On the portal you will see either "You have matched to School X" -or- "No Match".
UTSW is also notorious for doing very minimal on match day. Their class will be filled out with WL movement

Dont expect any real WL movement until Baylor sends out acceptences. March I think.

Dont expect any real WL movement until Baylor sends out acceptences. March I think.
Those of us accepted to both have until 4/30 to decide. Lots of Baylor acceptances have gone out already, but I think lots of people hold onto both until closer to the deadline. I'd guess more so April/May.

Edit: Though many may choose UTSW over Baylor, such as myself most likely!

Last edited:

With all due respect, I don't really follow; how does your information contradict with what I posted?

So sure, the computers have been grinding over the data regarding the school's lists and the applicant's rank lists over the last 2 weeks (wasn't referencing duration of time in my post, just procedural steps), and I agree that what we saw today in TMDSAS was final result of this process (I believe that info concurs with what I posted). Back to the original question: "Is it logical to think there is a chance UTSW results were not announced yet? Or do we know every school release the results at the same time?" If an applicant ranked UTSW first, and today's "final result" shows that they were NOT matched to UTSW (could be to another school, could be no match), the applicant should expect to have already been reviewed by and waitlisted by UTSW. So no, it is not logical. The UTSW results were announced, the going-down-list process was kickstarted, and that's how you ultimately got that "final result." UTSW may have just not given a single match and is just going to take their time picking ppl off waitlist (so their final class has not been "announced"), but that match result was definitely announced today at 8am.

Again, please correct this information if it is wrong! But, please not just an "um, no" followed by an explanation that does not provide any clarification.

With all due respect, I don't really follow; how does your information contradict with what I posted?

So sure, the computers have been grinding over the data regarding the school's lists and the applicant's rank lists over the last 2 weeks (wasn't referencing duration of time in my post, just procedural steps), and I agree that what we saw today in TMDSAS was final result of this process (I believe that info concurs with what I posted). Back to the original question: "Is it logical to think there is a chance UTSW results were not announced yet? Or do we know every school release the results at the same time?" If an applicant ranked UTSW first, and today's "final result" shows that they were NOT matched to UTSW (could be to another school, could be no match), the applicant should expect to have already been reviewed by and waitlisted by UTSW. So no, it is not logical. The UTSW results were announced, the going-down-list process was kickstarted, and that's how you ultimately got that "final result." UTSW may have just not given a single match and is just going to take their time picking ppl off waitlist (so their final class has not been "announced"), but that match result was definitely announced today at 8am.

Again, please correct this information if it is wrong! But, please not just an "um, no" followed by an explanation that does not provide any clarification.
I don't understand what your asking at all. UTSW filled their class with OOS and prematches. Then they ranked everybody else who interviewed. Now when someone on the acceptance list notifies UTSW that they are going to attend a different school they notify the top of the waitlist. There are no "announced results."