2018-2019 University of Texas Southwestern Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've received the email stating that they've received my app from the tmdsas 3 times now...does anyone think this is a problem I should contact them about?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've received the email stating that they've received my app from the tmdsas 3 times now...does anyone think this is a problem I should contact them about?
I just got it too, I think it’s because our letters were uploaded today. The subject of my email said something along the lines of TMDSAS materials received

I also got it today for the third time. If you call, let us know what they say.
I just got it too, I think it’s because our letters were uploaded today. The subject of my email said something along the lines of TMDSAS materials received
I don't think so. My letters were uploaded weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm.....I only recieved it the first time back on 5/24. Nothing after Secondary Submission on 5/29. Everything else has been in since 5/14

I also got it today for the third time. If you call, let us know what they say.

I don't think so. My letters were uploaded weeks ago.
Oh sorry, I meant ours as in mine and bigeman. He had posted in another thread that his letters were submitted today and so were mine. It just seemed like a convenient correlation to make.

Oh sorry, I meant ours as in mine and bigeman. He had posted in another thread that his letters were submitted today and so were mine. It just seemed like a convenient correlation to make.
It seems to me that the email is automatic for whenever your TMDSA app updates because my transcripts were just processed yesterday or the day before and I got the email again as well.

Lilsebastian when did Baylor upload your packet? Mine got uploaded on the 13th but TMDSAS still says not received... wondering if it’s because they’re busy or if there is an issue

Lilsebastian when did Baylor upload your packet? Mine got uploaded on the 13th but TMDSAS still says not received... wondering if it’s because they’re busy or if there is an issue
Uploaded the 14th and marked received as well. I got my packet from my post bac uni

Uploaded the 14th and marked received as well. I got my packet from my post bac uni

On TMDSAS? Crap might be an upload issue with mine then. Been hesitant to call since they say they can’t update you on that stuff but I’m worried now

On TMDSAS? Crap might be an upload issue with mine then. Been hesitant to call since they say they can’t update you on that stuff but I’m worried now
Yep, I got an email from the HP office submitting my packet, checked and it was marked received on TMDSAS. No email from TMDSAS though. I called them cause I had a question about when schools would receive my letter since I was transmitted weeks ago and got a really nice lady who told me letters are available to schools the moment they’re uploaded, it’s just up to the school to download them. Could it be Dr. Haynes (is that who still runs the HP office?) is snail mailing it? Unlikely I would think, but if it’s not there Monday morning I’d definitely call Baylor before TMDSAS.

Yep, I got an email from the HP office submitting my packet, checked and it was marked received on TMDSAS. No email from TMDSAS though. I called them cause I had a question about when schools would receive my letter since I was transmitted weeks ago and got a really nice lady who told me letters are available to schools the moment they’re uploaded, it’s just up to the school to download them. Could it be Dr. Haynes (is that who still runs the HP office?) is snail mailing it? Unlikely I would think, but if it’s not there Monday morning I’d definitely call Baylor before TMDSAS.

No it’s Dr. Sanker now! I know they used VirtualEvals so thought it would be quick. I’ll definitely call Monday glad to hear they were willing to talk about letters. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
No it’s Dr. Sanker now! I know they used VirtualEvals so thought it would be quick. I’ll definitely call Monday glad to hear they were willing to talk about letters. Thank you!
Oh he’s great! Yeah they’re very accommodating, I guess it’s early so they’re not over all of us yet, lol.

I'm having some trouble coming up with ideas for these secondary essays and they're really dang long. For these essays can we draw from any life experience or just experiences during and after undergrad?

I'm having some trouble coming up with ideas for these secondary essays and they're really dang long. For these essays can we draw from any life experience or just experiences during and after undergrad?

You don’t have to fill up every single character. It’s Ok to answer a question to your satisfaction under the character limit. FWIW one of my essays mentioned something that happened in Hs

You don’t have to fill up every single character. It’s Ok to answer a question to your satisfaction under the character limit. FWIW one of my essays mentioned something that happened in Hs
Thanks for the clarification. Did you find it easy to come up with your ideas? I don't want to rehash what I've said in my PS or the other primary essays but I'm kinda drawing blanks for them.

I might just be missing something, but how does one actually access the secondary to submit it? I made the mygateway account but can't seem to find the secondary...any help would be very appreciated :)

I might just be missing something, but how does one actually access the secondary to submit it? I made the mygateway account but can't seem to find the secondary...any help would be very appreciated :)
Once you log in, there should be a “my applications” option on the left hand side of the page. Click that then click “start new...” on the subsequent page. I attached pictures. Sorry for the zoom, tried to not get my info in it. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 8965FF81-C6EB-47F9-B8C2-F7D3ADAD1FDD.jpeg
    8965FF81-C6EB-47F9-B8C2-F7D3ADAD1FDD.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 87C9A53B-E86C-4461-AFA3-05D084A6DD76.jpeg
    87C9A53B-E86C-4461-AFA3-05D084A6DD76.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 87
Once you log in, there should be a “my applications” option on the left hand side of the page. Click that then click “start new...” on the subsequent page. I attached pictures. Sorry for the zoom, tried to not get my info in it. Hope that helps.
Great! Thanks for the help!

Anyone else's application portal show the secondary as "incomplete"? I submitted 5/29 and went to edit and sure enough it says it was submitted 5/29 and no changes can be made but status still says "incomplete". I'm going nuts here

Anyone else's application portal show the secondary as "incomplete"? I submitted 5/29 and went to edit and sure enough it says it was submitted 5/29 and no changes can be made but status still says "incomplete". I'm going nuts here
Yep

Question: My primary was transmitted to the schools on June 15th. Still haven't heard back anything from UTSW. No email notification, nothing. I have my secondary essays written, but don't really know what to do at this point. You guys/gals get an email from UTSW notifying that they received your primary? If so, how long after you submitted it?

Thanks, just not sure if it would be alright to submit the secondary before they even acknowledge they've received my primary.

UTSW makes the secondary available to you and you may submit it when you are ready, don’t need to wait to be invited or wait to hear about your primary. Proofread it one more time and send

UTSW makes the secondary available to you and you may submit it when you are ready, don’t need to wait to be invited or wait to hear about your primary. Proofread it one more time and send
Hell yea! Thanks wysdoc!

Update: my status says "completed" (from "incomplete" last week).

Reactions: 1 users
MS3 here to answer any questions about clinical years or anything else. Good luck everyone!

For md phd do we just wait for a secondary or do we still access it through the same portal as the TMDSAS people?

For md phd do we just wait for a secondary or do we still access it through the same portal as the TMDSAS people?

If you applied through tMDSAS for MD only consideration then you fill out the one in the portal like everyone else. If you applied MD/PhD only (just AMCAS no tMDSAS) then wait for them to email u.

From the site:
“This application will permit you to submit essays describing your interest in the integrated M.D./Ph.D. Program. UT Southwestern MST Program also requires a secondary application, which will be emailed to you upon receipt of your AMCAS application. AMCAS will collect and forward additional supporting documents, including official transcripts and MCAT scores. (GREs are not required.)“

5000 characters is nuts. I've seen the 60% rule thrown out before, but what about stopping at 2500 characters for these? Do you think they would care?

5000 characters is nuts. I've seen the 60% rule thrown out before, but what about stopping at 2500 characters for these? Do you think they would care?

I think what is more important is that the response is adequate. A response that is too short might ignore aspects of the question or come off as lazy, but if you've written something complete in 50% of the char count then that should be fine. I think some of my responses were on the shorter side as well fwiw

Back when I was applying there were less questions but my answers were definitely way shorter than the maximum count. Quality and brevity is much better than random extra filler words to make it look longer.

Edit: also Dell Med had a similar thing with around 5 questions and I was also brief on that secondary, and also got in

*Optional. Have you engaged in any public service activities for a duration of greater than a year in length (examples: Military, Peace Corps, Teach for America, etc.). Yes or No? If so, please describe the experience and impact on your personal and professional development.

Is this asking specifically about these types of activities that dominate that period of time? E.g. does my part-time volunteering at a homeless shelter for two years count? It seems not.

Is this asking specifically about these types of activities that dominate that period of time? E.g. does my part-time volunteering at a homeless shelter for two years count? It seems not.

I think it is mainly referring to full-time commitment programs that people typically apply to and then spend a few years solely doing that, such as military service, the Peace Corps, etc.

Reactions: 1 users

It is strange because if they didn't list those specific examples, one might be inclined to include a multitude of activities. Given those examples though, my guess is pretty much that they are saying "something like these activities."

If you think about it, just to go through your app once, they'll have to read AT LEAST 5 essays that range from 400-800 words. I have no idea how they'd be able to go through so many apps in such little time if they really critically read each essay.

So my app was transmitted on 6/25 but I haven't had any communication from UTSW saying it was received. Has anyone else had a long wait / do you know if this is normal?

So my app was transmitted on 6/25 but I haven't had any communication from UTSW saying it was received. Has anyone else had a long wait / do you know if this is normal?

My app was transmitted that same day and I still haven't gotten any message from them saying that they've received it. Went ahead and submitted my secondary anyway, and got an emailing confirming they received that. I am glad I'm not the only one who didn't get the initial email though.

My app was transmitted that same day and I still haven't gotten any message from them saying that they've received it. Went ahead and submitted my secondary anyway, and got an emailing confirming they received that. I am glad I'm not the only one who didn't get the initial email though.
Okay, sweet; I'm glad too! I'm submitting my secondary tonight for them.

Okay, sweet; I'm glad too! I'm submitting my secondary tonight for them.
The fact that we both didn't get an email when everyone else did got me thinking, and so I emailed UTSW admissions yesterday to ask about this issue. I was told that they had send me an email in early July. Looked through my inbox, junk folder, and deleted folder and didn't find the email so I called admissions today and found out that they had spelled my email address incorrectly. It might be worth it to call them and inquire about yours as well.

Does anyone know if they accept updates/how to send one? Of course after I submit half my applications for the cycle I get an email that my presentation abstract for a conference was accepted :)

The fact that we both didn't get an email when everyone else did got me thinking, and so I emailed UTSW admissions yesterday to ask about this issue. I was told that they had send me an email in early July. Looked through my inbox, junk folder, and deleted folder and didn't find the email so I called admissions today and found out that they had spelled my email address incorrectly. It might be worth it to call them and inquire about yours as well.

I called them after reading this and they said they sent it 10 days ago. It was nowhere in my folders but they did have my email correct.

Hi all, would anyone who has some free time be willing to look over my secondary. I've had it for like a month and just want to get it in already by the end of this weekend. Thanks in advance.

Hi all, would anyone who has some free time be willing to look over my secondary. I've had it for like a month and just want to get it in already by the end of this weekend. Thanks in advance.
sure, PM me a google doc