2018-2019 University of Texas Southwestern Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my acceptance to UTSW. Best of luck to those of you who are on the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let us know where you’ll be going if you decide to withdraw your UTSW acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user
Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Reactions: 2 users
lol I don't wanna think about this lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Freaked out this morning when I tried to check my portal. Forgot that the new application opened today

Hey everyone! I got an email of acceptance at around 1:40pm today!!

This is gonna sound hella neurotic but what time did you get the WL email? Maybe we can finally figure out that theory

This is gonna sound hella neurotic but what time did you get the WL email? Maybe we can finally figure out that theory
I got the first WL email on Feb. 15 around 10:30am ish, and I got the second WL email on April 3 around 10:55am

Reactions: 2 users
Any mstp movement yet? I know they sent out an email stating that they had 1+ spots open

I got an email from Southwest Airlines that made my heart stop for a brief second.

Reactions: 5 users
Alright, now it's afternoon.... time to obsess and panic! :p. Still no word here.

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know how many spots utsw pulls from waitlist from previous years?

I suspect there may have been movement because I just got offered a scholarship yesterday.

Reactions: 1 users
^ I imagine they just waited until after traffic day to dole those out. Waitlist movement may have occurred, but they probably just waited until applicants limited their options to only one school.

^ I imagine they just waited until after traffic day to dole those out. Waitlist movement may have occurred, but they probably just waited until applicants limited their options to only one school.
I was told that most scholarships go out during prematch, but you could be right about that.

My roommate thats going there said that at the Welcome weekend they stated they expected about half the class to come from the waitlist

Reactions: 4 users
My roommate thats going there said that at the Welcome weekend they stated they expected about half the class to come from the waitlist
lol no way that has to be an exaggeration, UTSW yield is NOT that low

For what it's worth, it seems like UTSW has a yield right around 53% averaging across the two years of data that I could find (with the caveat that I can't tell you what years these numbers are from and there is a notable bump in OoS yield between the two years).

Someone posted a summary of the admissions stats that are available through U.S. News' Grad Compass database in r/premed earlier this year.

U.S. News didn't indicate what year the data was from (I speculate that it was from 2015/2016) but they reported the following:
IS applications received: 3,851
IS interview invitations: 737
IS acceptances: 360
IS enrollments: 202 (56% yield)

OoS applications received: 1,343
OoS interview invitations: 123
OoS acceptances: 95
Oos enrollments: 26 (27 % yield)

Overall yield: 50%

A few weeks ago, the Grad Compass database was updated (I speculate with numbers from 2016/2017):
IS applications received: 3,770
IS interview invitations: 682
IS acceptances: 318
IS enrollments: 192 (60% yield)

OoS applications received: 1,307
OoS interview invitations: 144
OoS acceptances: 77
Oos enrollments: 33 (43% yield)

Overall yield: 57%

I can't make any conclusions as to what this means for how many students they pull off the waitlist without speculating about how many students are pre-matched or admitted before April 30, but it is notable that UTSW seems to extend two acceptances for every student that enrolls.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Yield and taking people off the waitlist do not mean the same thing.

The school admits a lot more students with the expectation that a given percentage will eventually decline. Waitlist acceptances are trying to fill the gap between expected yield vs actual yield.

So They admitted 290-300 students IS, expected 200 to matriculate, but only 175 or so did and now they are accepting people off the waitlist to fill the gap. They may add more from waitlist if people who accepted on May 1st jump ship to go to some other waitlisted school and they need to fill that spot.

Yield and taking people off the waitlist do not mean the same thing.

The school admits a lot more students with the expectation that a given percentage will eventually decline. Waitlist acceptances are trying to fill the gap between expected yield vs actual yield.

So They admitted 290-300 students IS, expected 200 to matriculate, but only 175 or so did and now they are accepting people off the waitlist to fill the gap. They may add more from waitlist if people who accepted on May 1st jump ship to go to some other waitlisted school and they need to fill that spot.
Where did you get the 175 number?

It is an example. Schools dont wait to admit half their class after May 1st.

Yeah pretty sure UTSW sends out like 300 prematches

lol no way that has to be an exaggeration, UTSW yield is NOT that low

I know, that’s what I thought, but would the faculty have any reason to exaggerate how much they take from waitlist

Reactions: 1 users
Hi does anyone know how I can access the Facebook group? Or do I have to be invited to join?