2018-2019 University of Texas Southwestern Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry, but I was at second look, and the faculty did not say this to us. Perhaps your roommate was getting a guess from another student?
maybe he spoke privately with a faculty member or only a few other students?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m kind of confused by the lack of waitlist movement...anyone hear anything?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m kind of confused by the lack of waitlist movement...anyone hear anything?
Maybe they’re just waiting until the very last minute on May 15? Maybe that’s just wishful thinking though

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe they’re just waiting until the very last minute on May 15? Maybe that’s just wishful thinking though
So if people get accepted off the waitlist May 15th, that leaves another spot open in the school they were originally planning to attend, so this spot will never be filled by someone accepted by another medical school?

So if people get accepted off the waitlist May 15th, that leaves another spot open in the school they were originally planning to attend, so this spot will never be filled by someone accepted by another medical school?

After May 15th no one holding a TX acceptance can be accepted to another TX school (not sure if TCU-UNT and UIW are part of this agreement). Only applicants without a TX acceptance can be admitted from the waitlist after that point.

So, yes, you are correct, as long you mean TX medical school.

Do you think if we called and asked admissions if they are going to be accepting anyone off the wait-list they would tell us?

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone from the waitlist submitted additional information and heard back? (despite instruction not to)

Has anyone from the waitlist submitted additional information and heard back? (despite instruction not to)

tl;dr They seem to be open to letters of intent, but not much else.

I submitted an update letter in February. The admissions office didn't acknowledge receipt.

Last month, one of my interviewers encouraged me to write a letter of intent so I submitted that in early April. The admissions office replied promptly that they had added that to my file. Though... that being said, I'm still staring at an empty inbox so it's hard to say the letter of intent is effective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing this week???

There have been new people who joined the facebook group recently. I don't know for sure if they were waitlist acceptances or admitted students who just decided to join late. Additionally, I do know of someone who withdrew from UTSW to go to Baylor after getting admitted off of their waitlist.

There have been new people who joined the facebook group recently. I don't know for sure if they were waitlist acceptances or admitted students who just decided to join late. Additionally, I do know of someone who withdrew from UTSW to go to Baylor after getting admitted off of their waitlist.
I just feel like more people would report on here if there was indeed waitlist movement

So a brief question. I'm OOS and hold an acceptance OOS as well as an in-state acceptance. If I rescind my Texan acceptance, will UTSW still have the May 15th deadline for me or will I be considered someone who has no Texan acceptance and thus have to wait for an undisclosed amount of time for a reply from UTSW? I want to know a response by May 15th because my OOS acceptance starts classes brutally early.

So a brief question. I'm OOS and hold an acceptance OOS as well as an in-state acceptance. If I rescind my Texan acceptance, will UTSW still have the May 15th deadline for me or will I be considered someone who has no Texan acceptance and thus have to wait for an undisclosed amount of time for a reply from UTSW? I want to know a response by May 15th because my OOS acceptance starts classes brutally early.
I would advise you to ask TMDSAS since this is pretty specific and technical question

Anyone else feel like they're a lottery team hoping for Zion tonight?

Reactions: 7 users
And yet.... all is quiet on the southwestern front.

I had a friend that got in yesterday, so movement is happening, slowly.

Reactions: 3 users
Is it possible for us to get accepted off the waitlist after tomorrow if we already are accepted to a Texas school?

Surprising how theres barely any reports on this thread of WL movement for this day

Reactions: 5 users
I encourage everyone to stay strong and keep your head up! I didn’t get into UTSW either, but I’m not going to let that get me down. I’m going to another great medical school and will be an awesome doctor either way (as will all of you!) let’s show UTSW what they’re missing!

Reactions: 8 users
I encourage everyone to stay strong and keep your head up! I didn’t get into UTSW either, but I’m not going to let that get me down. I’m going to another great medical school and will be an awesome doctor either way (as will all of you!) let’s show UTSW what they’re missing!
Yes, this!!! I feel like me and you have been waiting this one out for a while but we are meant to be somewhere else! Will you pm me what school you’re going to? I can’t message you!

Last edited:
Is waitlist movement completely over? If you aren’t accepted at any other Texas school, is it still possible to be accepted?

Any people still hoping for WL movement?

Reactions: 4 users
For those still on the wait list (and want to play this waiting game with me):

With the number of accepted in-state students now off the waitlist and the number of OS people who have committed to other schools... if we had to guess a rough estimate for how many people are still on the waitlist, how many people do we think are still holding out?

I called admissions this morning to see if it would be possible to know my position (or even how large the waitlist is)--the admissions officer responded an expected no to both requests. However, she did say 786 students were interviewed this past cycle. Going off last year's data, I'm going to estimate that about 97 of those interviews were OOS, and the remaining 689 were in-state. The class size this year is 230. 786-230 = 556 *potential* initial waitlisters.

Of the 230 accepted, I'm also assuming about that 35 are OOS and 195 are IS. Leaving 62 OS and 494 IS students on the initial 556 waitlist.

Assuming 90% of the IS students who received an interview were accepted somewhere else in TX (Generous? I'm betting if they received an interviewed here, they must have gotten in at least somewhere else in TX) or chose another IS school--leaving around 50 IS people left on the waitlist. And, arbitrarily, I'm going to assume 50% of OOS students have "Committed to Enroll" somewhere else at this point. Leaving about 31 OOS left on the waitlist. 50 IS + 31 OOS = 81 waitlisters total.

So... realistically, going to assume 75-100 left waiting to hear back? More/Less? Thoughts?

Last edited:
For those still on the wait list (and want to play this waiting game with me):

With the number of accepted in-state students now off the waitlist and the number of OS people who have committed to other schools... if we had to guess a rough estimate for how many people are still on the waitlist, how many people do we think are still holding out?

I called admissions this morning to see if it would be possible to know my position (or even how large the waitlist is)--the admissions officer responded an expected no to both requests. However, she did say 786 students were interviewed this past cycle. Going off last year's data, I'm going to estimate that about 97 of those interviews were OOS, and the remaining 689 were in-state. The class size this year is 230. 786-230 = 556 *potential* initial waitlisters.

Of the 230 accepted, I'm also assuming about that 35 are OOS and 195 are IS. Leaving 62 OS and 494 IS students on the initial 556 waitlist.

Assuming 90% of the IS students who received an interview were accepted somewhere else in TX (Generous? I'm betting if they received an interviewed here, they must have gotten in at least somewhere else in TX) or chose another IS school--leaving around 50 IS people left on the waitlist. And, arbitrarily, I'm going to assume 50% of OOS students have "Committed to Enroll" somewhere else at this point. Leaving about 31 OOS left on the waitlist. 50 IS + 31 OOS = 81 waitlisters total.

So... realistically, going to assume 75-100 left waiting to hear back? More/Less? Thoughts?

I like the thought process. Does anyone know historically what percent of people get off the waitlist into UTSW? We know at least a few people have already gotten in off the waitlist prior to May 15th, and everyone with a Texas acceptance already got taken off of this waitlist, so the only people who could even hear back from UTSW are people who currently have no acceptances to any other Texas schools in TMDSAS.

Question for current students: How strict is the school with laptop specifications? I'm using a Macbook Air with a 1.4 GHz so its not the 1.86 GHz processor that's required. But it works great and has zero issues so I really don't want to buy a new one just because of this.

For md phd do we just wait for a secondary or do we still access it through the same portal as the TMDSAS people?
For the MD-PhD secondary, do we have to do the 3 required essays for the regular MD program or just the four essays specific to the MD-PhD program?