2018-2019 University of Texas Southwestern Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II as Well! :D Checked the portal

I applied both mD and MSTP so I suppose this is for the MD side since nobody has heard anything from the MSTP side so far.

Any insight on this, fellow MSTP app Texans?

Have you filled out hte MSTP secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

II late September IS 75 :) Really excited to see the school!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So interviews are only on Saturdays?

If we don't go to the Friday Rounds thing, does that hurt us? I'd really like to go, but unfortunately due to work and schedule limitations I don't think I could. Thoughts?
It definitely will not hurt your application in any way.
Basically UTSW does interviews on a Saturday because it means 1. It's easier for people in school/work, 2. It means the interviewers aren't running from clinic trying to get to your interview on time, the only thing they're doing that day is interviewing you.
The Friday program is meant for people who happen to have extra time in their schedule to be able to meet more upperclassmen (during rounds), see more of the hospitals, and get more time to ask all their questions. It is meant to help you make your decision, if you have the extra time available.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone who got that II today!

Did anyone get an email from UTSW? I got the interview invite in my portal when I checked today but no email...

Members don't see this ad :)
For those receiving IIs, did y'all meet the 5000 character limit on each of the essays? Did any of you leave the optional essays blank?

For those receiving IIs, did y'all meet the 5000 character limit on each of the essays? Did any of you leave the optional essays blank?

I left both optional blank, wrote around 4-4500 for the first 3. Though idk if they have really read these yet, I feel like IIs had a lot to do with stats

I left both optional blank, wrote around 4-4500 for the first 3. Though idk if they have really read these yet, I feel like IIs had a lot to do with stats

I also think I am going to leave the last two blank. I don't want to write anything for the sake of writing. Thanks for your input!

One of them was right on the margin for 5K chars. The rest were 60-75% of the character limit. I answered one of the optional prompts because I felt that it applied to me.

Also waiting on MSTP contact from UTSW.

I called them last week and they said that they are having issues with a new system and there *is* a secondary for MSTPs, but that no one has received it yet. They said to be patient. no word on when though.

Reactions: 2 users
I called them last week and they said that they are having issues with a new system and there *is* a secondary for MSTPs, but that no one has received it yet. They said to be patient. no word on when though.

The MSTP committee has its first meeting August 14th according to the website. Idk if that’s admissions related at all, but maybe we’ll get a secondary before then? I went ahead and scheduled my MD II anyway

I'm a reapplicant, I got an interview with UTSW in a previous cycle, but unfortunately was not accepted. What are my chances on getting an interview again this cycle?

I am OOS but will be in the area late September. Is UTSW receptive to in the area calls?

Congrats those with ii!!! could you share when you submitted your secondary!

II TODAY! I love this school. Secondary submitted 5/17, complete 6/26

Just call and ask! Or email and ask. Just be humble about it, then it can't hurt your chances.
Thank you! I got an II yesterday but all the dates were for Oct. I'll try to call them on Monday and see if there's any earlier ones available.

Thank you! I got an II yesterday but all the dates were for Oct. I'll try to call them on Monday and see if there's any earlier ones available.
Awesome! If you already have an II it seems like they'd be even more likely to accommodate your travel schedule :)

Interesting that according to the calendar, UTSW’s first MSTP Interview date is September 14, less than a month away, but as far as I know, MSTP secondaries still have not gone out. Maybe they’ll cancel that date?

Interesting that according to the calendar, UTSW’s first MSTP Interview date is September 14, less than a month away, but as far as I know, MSTP secondaries still have not gone out. Maybe they’ll cancel that date?

last week I called the office and the person I talked to told me that what would happen was that our (primary?) apps would be reviewed, and then they would decide who gets interviews, and then those people would get secondaries?? Not sure if they've totally inverted the system this year or if the person I was talking to was just confused idk. Maybe what she was trying to say was UTSW is going to screen primaries for MSTP applicants?

Sorry if this comment is even more confusing than it is useful :p

I received my II today. Will it hurt my admission chances if I do not attend the Friday program as part of my interview weekend?

I received my II today. Will it hurt my admission chances if I do not attend the Friday program as part of my interview weekend?
Congrats on the ii!!! Could you share when you submitted the secondary + stats?

No, it has no effect on admissions. I recommend going if you can (you'll miss a day of whatever you have going on for every other interview) because you'll learn a ton about the school, but it's in no way mandatory.

I just got at e-mail from UT Southwestern reading:

We would like to acknowledge that we have received your AMCAS application and letters of evaluation for your file with the MD/PhD Program at UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX for the 2019 admissions season. Please note that we prefer to have at least three (3) letters of recommendation for each applicant record.

Please note that we have set up a secondary application in the Applicant Gateway, which we will need in order to fully process your application. Once we have received this secondary, your file will move to full review & we will subsequently notify you via email if you have been selected for an interview with our program by approximately end of December 2018.

But the actual Applicant Gateway has no MD/PhD secondary as far as I can tell... anyone else get this e-mail? Am I missing something?

We would like to acknowledge that we have received your AMCAS application and letters of evaluation for your file with the MD/PhD Program at UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX for the 2019 admissions season. Please note that we prefer to have at least three (3) letters of recommendation for each applicant record.

Please note that we have set up a secondary application in the Applicant Gateway, which we will need in order to fully process your application. Once we have received this secondary, your file will move to full review & we will subsequently notify you via email if you have been selected for an interview with our program by approximately end of December 2018.

But the actual Applicant Gateway has no MD/PhD secondary as far as I can tell... anyone else get this e-mail? Am I missing something?
did not receive this email. @Lucca did get this email?

I received this email as well and only see the MD secondary questions. Not really sure where the additional questions are for MD/PhD but I don't have any.