2018-2019 University of Texas Southwestern Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the UTSW interviews, they say that you have to "attest" that your immunizations are current. Is that just a form we sign at arrival? (since we don't need to bring documentation of our immunizations).

Members don't see this ad.

So this is my top choice since I live in Dallas (and have my whole life). I'm 40 years old and have a LizzyM of 68.9. I understand my chances based on quantitative measures aren't stellar, but I'm wondering what my late application did to my chances.

I submitted on 8/15 and it was delivered 8/30. I didn't get my MCAT scores until 9/18, and my eval letter situation was a mess - Monday was when TMDSAS showed I finally had a "complete" application.

Did my timing basically screw me out of UTSW? I get the point of early/rolling admissions, but I would *like* to think that the majority of interview slots are filled based on the actual deadline for application. Perhaps I should have submitted my primary/secondary sooner and just had an incomplete application waiting on test scores and LoE's.

Not having a premed advisory to answer these questions probably hurt quite a bit. I've never used any advisory or career services in school - undergrad or graduate school. I didn't even consider that this would impact my application.

-Josh
Not what you want to hear but yes it probably hurt your chances. That being said, it doesn't mean there is no way you will get in. Generally speaking it's better to wait an extra year and apply as early as possible, but of course in your case an extra year would be a waste, so I hope it will work out for you in the end!

Reactions: 1 user
"The admissions committee will continue to review applications throughout the cycle (1 May to 1 October)"....

so today (right now) is officially october 1st. if i've gotten no word yet - does that mean i'm rejected? does anyone have any info re: whether or not thats a hard deadline?

Members don't see this ad :)
"The admissions committee will continue to review applications throughout the cycle (1 May to 1 October)"....

so today (right now) is officially october 1st. if i've gotten no word yet - does that mean i'm rejected? does anyone have any info re: whether or not thats a hard deadline?
No it just means they will look at all primary apps submitted by 5pm Oct 1.

Reactions: 3 users
Just gonna put it out into the universe that I’m hoping for an II this week

Reactions: 12 users
Just gonna put it out into the universe that I’m hoping for an II this week

Just try not to obsess :)

No matter what, life moves on. The words of one school do not invalidate everything we’ve worked for. Our goals are not any different through silence or noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I checked my UT-Southwestern portal this afternoon and saw that I had an interview invitation. I never received an email, so I'm not sure how long it has been there. I set my interview date for 11/17.

Reactions: 2 users
I checked my UT-Southwestern portal this afternoon and saw that I had an interview invitation. I never received an email, so I'm not sure how long it has been there. I set my interview date for 11/17.
like the my Gateway portal?

When was your primary/secondary complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats?

What other days were available? Was 11/17 the earliest date?

How do we access the Taleo site in order to complete the HIPAA Training Module? I've been trying to use the MyGateWay username and password but it isn't working.

I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the answer. I know the instructions on the Patient Privacy course are supposed to be attached to the invitation email, but they're not for me? Any idea how I can find the course?

Do you guys think it's still possible to get an interview from here OOS? Or are the slots all gone? I ask because in the secondary confirmation email they said they review applications from 1 May to 1 October:

"The admissions committee will continue to review applications throughout the cycle (1 May to 1 October). If additional information is required, you will be contacted through your email address on file."

For the MSTP applicants, I was verified 9/26 and didn't get a secondary. Had to call, got it sent to my email right away.
That's odd, do they send them manually? Their MSTP app is really short and nice. I hope I am a good candidate for a II, it's a lowkey dream school :love:

Yay, glad some fellow MSTP peeps have crawled out of the woodwork :) Current student here, lemme know if you have any questions about the application cycle and the program

Reactions: 1 users
This might be a dumb question but do people bring two different suits to wear to rounds and then interview day? Or do you guys think its fine to just wear the same one with different shirts?

This might be a dumb question but do people bring two different suits to wear to rounds and then interview day? Or do you guys think its fine to just wear the same one with different shirts?
I'm fortunate enough to have two suits so I'll be wearing a different one each day personally. I think if you have more than one suit it might not be a bad idea to use two, but otherwise it should not be a big deal to wear the same one. Unless you sweat a lot or something.

Yay, glad some fellow MSTP peeps have crawled out of the woodwork :) Current student here, lemme know if you have any questions about the application cycle and the program
Yayy thanks for sticking around! Do you know how often the committee reviews apps and what they like in applicants? It genuinely is one of my top choices but I'm facepalming at my secondary writeup, because I used 'neurotherapeutics' which I realized no one ever uses.

For Friday rounds do people typically bring pen/notepads, or does the school give you a folder on Friday?

I'm fortunate enough to have two suits so I'll be wearing a different one each day personally. I think if you have more than one suit it might not be a bad idea to use two, but otherwise it should not be a big deal to wear the same one. Unless you sweat a lot or something.
Nobody but you will know if you wear the exact same thing both days. Unless you drop some food on yourself, which can happen to even the best of us all.

For Friday rounds do people typically bring pen/notepads, or does the school give you a folder on Friday?
I interviewed ages ago now... But I think you get the full folder on Saturday. However I still have my interview packet and there are separate sheets they gave us on Friday morning. If you like to take notes, just bring a small notepad and pen!

Yayy thanks for sticking around! Do you know how often the committee reviews apps and what they like in applicants? It genuinely is one of my top choices but I'm facepalming at my secondary writeup, because I used 'neurotherapeutics' which I realized no one ever uses.

Haha I'm sure you're fine! No one's gonna judge you based on one word lol. And I'm not sure exactly how often they review apps, but I do have a list of this year's MSTP interview dates in case you're curious:

Friday, October 19
Friday, October 26
Friday, November 9
Friday, November 30
Friday, December 14
Friday, January 4

There was also one in September but they canceled it for some reason. Last year they canceled the January date, but hopefully the rest of these will end up happening.

As for what they like... I mean obviously they like you to have pretty good research experience beforehand, but more importantly than that they want you to be able to intelligently discuss that research and show a genuine curiosity about science. They don't care about the typical medical school stuff like your clinical hours and volunteering quite as much as some other schools. And, this might just be anecdotal, but they seem to like people who have really thought hard about whether MSTP is right for them, often including taking a year or two off to do extra research or work somewhere. I went straight through from college though, so this definitely isn't absolute.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Haha I'm sure you're fine! No one's gonna judge you based on one word lol. And I'm not sure exactly how often they review apps, but I do have a list of this year's interview dates in case you're curious:

Friday, October 19
Friday, October 26
Friday, November 9
Friday, November 30
Friday, December 14
Friday, January 4

There was also one in September but they canceled it for some reason. Last year they canceled the January date, but hopefully the rest of these will end up happening.

As for what they like... I mean obviously they like you to have pretty good research experience beforehand, but more importantly than that they want you to be able to intelligently discuss that research and show a genuine curiosity about science. They don't care about the typical medical school stuff like your clinical hours and volunteering quite as much as some other schools. And, this might just be anecdotal, but they seem to like people who have really thought hard about whether MSTP is right for them, often including taking a year or two off to do extra research or work somewhere. I went straight through from college though, so this definitely isn't absolute.

Was wondering, did you prematch? I'm just confused because it seems a lot of IIs were auto sent based off of stats, so I'm wondering about how to gauge my chances here. Any idea how much of a role the interview plays?

@dodolol21 are you applying MSTP, or MD ? when you mention prematch it sounds like you're doing the TMDSAS system. Personally I don't have any experience with that because I applied only MSTP through the AMCAS system, but I'm sure some of the other current students
(@idontknowwhatnametopick ?) can help you out.

@dodolol21 are you applying MSTP, or MD ? when you mention prematch it sounds like you're doing the TMDSAS system. Personally I don't have any experience with that because I applied only MSTP through the AMCAS system, but I'm sure some of the other current students
oh whoops, sorry didn't mention you were speaking about MSTP, I'm applying MD only. Thanks though!

Haha I'm sure you're fine! No one's gonna judge you based on one word lol. And I'm not sure exactly how often they review apps, but I do have a list of this year's MSTP interview dates in case you're curious:

Friday, October 19
Friday, October 26
Friday, November 9
Friday, November 30
Friday, December 14
Friday, January 4

Thanks for sharing! I hope they give me a shot, genuinely love their neuro work. I'll take an interview for any day. I'm doing a gap year at a semi famous place, so hopefully that reflects well on me. The more time I spend doing FT research, the more eager I am to start my career and get to work on my research interests. I don't feel you can be that productive in your gap years without a formalized program.

oh whoops, sorry didn't mention you were speaking about MSTP, I'm applying MD only. Thanks though!
I applied from out of state so it's a little different from most people's experience. I had really good stats, but I am terrible at interviews. I ended up getting in super late, right before the TMDSAS deadline of June 1st for multiple acceptances (I was previously accepted to Dell in Austin). So I'd say even though MAYBE (but who knows...) stats are very important to receive interviews, interviews still matter a lot. Of course I have no concrete information so again, who knows...

I applied from out of state so it's a little different from most people's experience. I had really good stats, but I am terrible at interviews. I ended up getting in super late, right before the TMDSAS deadline of June 1st for multiple acceptances (I was previously accepted to Dell in Austin). So I'd say even though MAYBE (but who knows...) stats are very important to receive interviews, interviews still matter a lot. Of course I have no concrete information so again, who knows...
I’m feeling kind of stuck because I thought I had very good stats (513 MCAT, 4.0, 3 years of cancer genetics research, and significant volunteering and shadowing hours). Haven’t heard ANYTHING about an interview...

I’m feeling kind of stuck because I thought I had very good stats (513 MCAT, 4.0, 3 years of cancer genetics research, and significant volunteering and shadowing hours). Haven’t heard ANYTHING about an interview...

Did you check MyGateway? My interview invitation sat there for three weeks before I found it...

Did you check MyGateway? My interview invitation sat there for three weeks before I found it...
Where on mygateway would I check? Every time I log in it just brings up the same 3 options (update profile, update password, and my application)

Missmcat - Well I have a higher MCAT but a lower GPA. So I feel like I'm for sure out of luck. Make you feel any better?

Where on mygateway would I check? Every time I log in it just brings up the same 3 options (update profile, update password, and my application)

The interview button appeared in addition to those. Hopefully you'll hear something soon!

Email. Would it look negative if I moved my interview to January 5th?

It could POSSIBLY damage your chances. Unless you need to I would have it as early as you can.What was the original date they offered?

II today!!! Completed 7/30. 73-74 orm, in state

I was given 12/1 with an option to change to 12/8 and 1/5 but I went ahead and confirmed 12/1

II today as well 12/8. LM 73

Edit: Moved it to 11/10

Last edited: