2018-2019 University of Texas Southwestern Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Email. Would it look negative if I moved my interview to January 5th?
You crack me up - UTSW is the only thread you ever post on and when you finally get the II you want to postpone it? No entiendo.

Members don't see this ad.

IT LITERALLY JUST CAME, I am not kidding!

Congrats!

By the way, after I scheduled my interview I went back to make a change to my Friday session, and I noticed that a date (10/20) was available that was not available when I scheduled initially. I think that full dates may become available if scheduled interviewees change or decline their interviews. I'm out of state and inflexible, so I couldn't reschedule for an earlier interview, but if you're local it might be good to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was offered the 12/8 day and since reading a bit more about their prematch behavior I feel really discouraged about my chances of getting in here. Does anyone know whether they really only offer Interview dates past 11/15 to IS applicants that they are going to place on the waitlist?

Reactions: 1 user
I was offered the 12/8 day and since reading a bit more about their prematch behavior I feel really discouraged about my chances of getting in here. Does anyone know whether they really only offer Interview dates past 11/15 to IS applicants that they are going to place on the waitlist?
Several students prematch after November 15. So don’t count out getting a prematch just because you have a December II. That being said UTSW fills their spots pretty much entirely with prematch/wait list. A way around match day I suppose.

There are definitely people that get accepted during prematch despite a post-11/15 interview. Also, even if you are placed on the waitlist, a good portion of the class comes from the waitlist anyway!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some people are stressing here about not having a chance for an II but I got an II in mid November. There are still spots open this cycle. I'm OOS btw.

I know some people are stressing here about not having a chance for an II but I got an II in mid November. There are still spots open this cycle. I'm OOS btw.
Add me to the stress list

Congrats! You better get ready to move to Texas!

Is there a way to submit updates for MD only post-interview?

Holy ****. II!!! This was my reach since I only applied TMDSAS! Complete first week of August. LizzyM of 66.7. URM.

Edit: by email btw

Reactions: 8 users
I guess this was probably the last round of II unless there are cancellations?

It might be. Really early since they still sent out II mid December last year. Maybe they decided to move much faster this year.

II yesterday. Pretty far reach school for me, did not think I would receive an invite from them. Really grateful that I am receiving an opportunity to visit their school.

Reactions: 4 users
Unless an adcom has said this, I wouldn't assume it will actually be their last interview day. Also, I originally got invited for December and ended up being able to change it to one 4 dates earlier than that. If that speaks to the volume of cancellations, then there are loads of them!

I don't know if this is the last round of IIs, but the January date is almost certainly the last date, unless they've changed something from previous years. Typically there's just one date in January and that's the last one for the cycle.

I don't know if this is the last round of IIs, but the January date is almost certainly the last date, unless they've changed something from previous years. Typically there's just one date in January and that's the last one for the cycle.
Wow, I feel even more incredibly lucky and grateful for my January II here, especially since my stats aren’t the greatest. They must have really liked my essays.

Has anyone gotten any MSTP IIs recently? Do you think all their seats for their upcoming dates are filled?

Anyone know what the cutoffs for auto-invites are?
??? I don't think there is any such thing as an auto-invite for an interview. Some schools have a GPA or MCAT cutoff below which they are unlikely to send you a secondary application, but they do review the applications beyond those score numbers.

Weird. I’m 52X and 3.8X and it’s been silence from UTSW...don’t see how they would be interviewing solely based on MCAT and GPA in that case...

IS? Did you answer the TMDSAS Optional prompt? I'm not sure what the cutoffs are but I would assume your stats would meet them, who knows

IS? Did you answer the TMDSAS Optional prompt? I'm not sure what the cutoffs are but I would assume your stats would meet them, who knows

Yeah and yeah. Been interviewed by every other TX school too, including Baylor. Not sure why utsw isn’t interested

Yeah and yeah. Been interviewed by every other TX school too, including Baylor. Not sure why utsw isn’t interested
What if you got one of those rare portal only invites and missed it? I believe I read that it has happened before for this school or TCOM.

Do you know what interview invitations dates would classify as group I?
I don't think it corresponds to any particular date, I'm pretty sure both Group I and Group II applicants are invited for all interview days

did people find the Friday morning program useful/worthwhile? it would be a stretch to get to Dallas that early, but if rounds are worth it then I'll go! can definitely make it by afternoon though

did people find the Friday morning program useful/worthwhile? it would be a stretch to get to Dallas that early, but if rounds are worth it then I'll go! can definitely make it by afternoon though

I went to the whole Friday event for my interview and I really enjoyed it. The rounds aren't particularly insightful beyond seeing the hospital and how they conduct their rounds on that unit, and your experience will be highly dependent on which unit you get to go with. I was in GI and they do table rounds so we just sat in a room and listened to them talk about patients, so not super insightful. However, the rest of the Friday program was great. Compared to other schools I've interviewed at, I feel like UTSW gave me the most amount of information, and I have a really good idea of what to expect should I get accepted, which was mainly due to the various information sessions on Friday. If you're interested in getting more info than the curriculum overview and campus tour they do on the day of the interview, then sign up for Friday, but I don't think you'd be missing out on anything if that's all you're looking for.

I went to the whole Friday event for my interview and I really enjoyed it. The rounds aren't particularly insightful beyond seeing the hospital and how they conduct their rounds on that unit, and your experience will be highly dependent on which unit you get to go with. I was in GI and they do table rounds so we just sat in a room and listened to them talk about patients, so not super insightful. However, the rest of the Friday program was great. Compared to other schools I've interviewed at, I feel like UTSW gave me the most amount of information, and I have a really good idea of what to expect should I get accepted, which was mainly due to the various information sessions on Friday. If you're interested in getting more info than the curriculum overview and campus tour they do on the day of the interview, then sign up for Friday, but I don't think you'd be missing out on anything if that's all you're looking for.
would you say it was also helpful in clarifying "what happens next"? By that I mean when/ how they will go about ranking the ppl post interview as well as an idea of how heavily they weigh your interview performance?

would you say it was also helpful in clarifying "what happens next"? By that I mean when/ how they will go about ranking the ppl post interview as well as an idea of how heavily they weigh your interview performance?
they did not talk about this at all

Does anyone have an idea about if applicants who interviewed this past weekend (11/10) will be reviewed in time for the pre-match wave later this week? Or will that group most likely begin seeing offers in the December wave?

Does anyone have an idea about if applicants who interviewed this past weekend (11/10) will be reviewed in time for the pre-match wave later this week? Or will that group most likely begin seeing offers in the December wave?
Based on last year's thread, looks like December.

No, like Daisy said, they didn't mention anything about this.