2018-2019 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Garurumon

a digivolving wolf
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a thread started for UIWSOM yet (beside the one that closed to further replies a few months ago), so I went ahead and put this up!

I got the secondary invite today, verified 5/23 and TX resident. Questions are the same as 2017-2018 cycle:

"Explain how your exposure to and experience in the medical profession has helped prepare you for osteopathic studies? Provide specific examples."

"UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?"

"In preparation for the MCAT did you use a professional preparation course (Kaplan, Princeton Review etc.)? If so, please indicate course and process for using it."

Word limit changed from 250 to 200, and they added,

"If you are reapplying to UIWSOM, what have you done to strengthen your application since you last applied?"

I'm excited about this school. I love their location and faith-based mission. Best of luck to everyone applying this cycle!

P.S: Not sure if it was the case for last cycle, but the email says that you have 2 weeks from reception date to complete and submit the secondary. I'd better get to it, then!

Members don't see this ad.

Received a secondary invite today! AACOMAS verified on 06/08. Good luck, all! :soexcited:

At least last year, the two week turnaround didn't seem too strict. Obviously, get it in as soon as possible but I waited over six weeks last year and it wasn't an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At least last year, the two week turnaround didn't seem too strict. Obviously, get it in as soon as possible but I waited over six weeks last year and it wasn't an issue.
It came across as explicit to me, but good to know that's not the case. That being said, I'll still try not to procrastinate. ;)

"UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?"

How is everyone tackling this prompt? I'm kinda stumped. Also why is it important for them to know whether we used a prep course or not to study for the mcat?

How is everyone tackling this prompt? I'm kinda stumped. Also why is it important for them to know whether we used a prep course or not to study for the mcat?
This was discussed in the thread for the 2016-2017 cycle, but this question doesn't necessarily ask you about faith (or if you have one), but wants to know how you can be a good fit for the mission. Honestly, as a Catholic, I had no problem answering this question and shared my enthusiasm about possibly attending a school where I can grow in both my faith and medical education. Even if you're a religious non-Christian or not religious at all, you can still try to find common ground with some of their tenets and values.

My friend who's an OMS-1 at UIWSOM said that the curriculum emphasizes independent study, finding your own study material rather than the normal model of reviewing all the info through lectures, so I can see why they would ask about how applicants prepared for the MCAT.

Last edited:
My friend who's an OMS-1 at UIWSOM said that the curriculum emphasizes independent study, finding your own study material rather than the normal model of reviewing all the info through lectures, so I can see why they would ask about how applicants prepared for the MCAT.
Given this info, I'm wondering if we should answer the MCAT prompt even if we didn't use a prep course.

This was discussed in the thread for last cycle, but this question doesn't necessarily ask you about faith (or if you have one), but wants to know how you can be a good fit for the mission. Honestly, as a Catholic, I had no problem answering this question and shared my enthusiasm about possibly attending a school where I can grow in both my faith and medical education. Even if you're a religious non-Christian or not religious at all, you can still try to find common ground with some of their tenets and values.

So... If I didn't use one I should just state that?

I mentioned one of my volunteer activities being part of a Christian organization and kind of swung it with that. I'm not personally religious so I didn't mention anything about me personally.

I didn't use a prep course so I just explained my overall method.

Last edited:
I mentioned one of my volunteer activities being part of a Christian organization and kind of swung it with that. I'm not personally religious so I funny mention anything about me personally.

I didn't use a prep course so I just explained my overall method.

That's a good idea! I also volunteered at a free health clinic that was based on Christianity so I might talk about that. I'm muslim so...i don't know exactly how they would take it if I mentioned that. Maybe I can give them a call and ask. lol

How would you summarize their mission statement?

Someone had the same question and hesitation as yours, so you might find this page helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary and 3rd LOR submitted. This is one of my top choice DO schools after TCOM. Hoping and waiting for good news. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Got the email saying my application is complete and ready for review, which can take up to 8 weeks. 3rd LOR (the last thing in) took ~3 days to process.

If you don't mind me asking, who did you get letters from? (Professor, DO, etc.)

Pre-health composite letter, DO, and volunteer coordinator. The composite letter is made up of science faculty comments compiled by the pre-health advisor, so volunteer coordinator sent the 3rd LOR since I found the science faculty + committee requirement to be redundant, in my case.

Got the email saying my application is complete and ready for review, which can take up to 8 weeks. 3rd LOR (the last thing in) took ~3 days to process.

so you just got an email after weeks of submitting your secondary? so that does that mean i should be expecting one as well?

so you just got an email after weeks of submitting your secondary? so that does that mean i should be expecting one as well?
I sent my secondary on 6/26 and got the complete email on 6/29. So just a few days! 8 weeks is the approximate wait time from completion to II. The wait might be shorter.

Is this going to be UIW third class? I'm interested in this school being from San Antonio. My friend wasn't feeling it and decided to go to an OOS DO school. He recommended me to not apply here. Do they have established rotations for 3rd and 4th year? Just would like some opinions on this school.

how strict are they about the premed advisor LOR? My school's advisor quit last summer (along with the committee). Graduated in december but I heard they appointed a new advisor this semester, but obviously I did not get to know her so I doubt her letter is even valuable.

I received an email, then when you log into your portal there is a spot to register for an interview

Stats - GPA: 3.7 MCAT: 507

My letters show received (part of AACOMAS packet) but on the checklist, it still shows as red. I saw something about it can take up to two weeks to match letters to your account but I wanted to make sure that I didn't need to send the letters separately from my committee packet (which includes all the letters).

My letters show received (part of AACOMAS packet) but on the checklist, it still shows as red. I saw something about it can take up to two weeks to match letters to your account but I wanted to make sure that I didn't need to send the letters separately from my committee packet (which includes all the letters).
if you have completed the LOR requirement then you're good. sending them an email wouldn't hurt.

Haven't seen a thread started for UIWSOM yet (beside the one that closed to further replies a few months ago), so I went ahead and put this up!

I got the secondary invite today, verified 5/23 and TX resident. Questions are the same as 2017-2018 cycle:

"Explain how your exposure to and experience in the medical profession has helped prepare you for osteopathic studies? Provide specific examples."

"In preparation for the MCAT did you use a professional preparation course (Kaplan, Princeton Review etc.)? If so, please indicate course and process for using it."

Word limit changed from 250 to 200, and they added,

"If you are reapplying to UIWSOM, what have you done to strengthen your application since you last applied?"

I'm excited about this school. I love their location and faith-based mission. Best of luck to everyone applying this cycle!

P.S: Not sure if it was the case for last cycle, but the email says that you have 2 weeks from reception date to complete and submit the secondary. I'd better get to it, then!

What is the word limit to the first two essays?

II! First one of this cycle let's gooooo

Reactions: 1 users
Ignore my anxiety, II just now lol

Reactions: 1 users
First year here, actual first day is on Tuesday. I want to clear up some applications questions I've seen here.

1- The curriculum is nearly 100% case based. You do your studying using your own materials with recommended reading. They want to know HOW you studied. A glimpse into possibly your maturity, study habits, and dedication to learning. I would encourage you to think in those terms.

2- Religious preference, sexuality, and the like are not things that will be frowned upon. We have students who are from a myriad of religions and sexual preferences. The campus was actually actively involved in celebrating those of the lgbtq community. Do not fear not fitting in here. For the record I'm an atheist, but like the school for the purpose of being tolerant and understanding of differences in spirituality and how it impacts care of patients.

3- There are certainly concerns regarding a new school and we will undoubtly have growing pains for another 2 year's as none of us have completed the program here. That being said, despite having another there medical school in close proximity to us San Antonio is a major city that is still heavily medically underserved meaning that there is plenty of care to go around. Relationships for clinical sites also exist in Laredo, Abilene, and another city I can't remember at the moment. For what it's worth, Texas medical programs tend to prefer people from Texas including residency (this is part perception but there may be people with more hard data). Our Dean as well as other faculty have worked in getting different medical schools accredited including PNWU and RVUCOM and both are reasonably successful. That's not to say they were the only reason but it is a plus.

Personally I think the school will fit well for someone who likes the case based approach and really fits the mission. Being a Catholic school does not require you be Catholic nor are you looked down upon for not being Catholic. I never hid my atheist beliefs. Showing maturity and a willingness to genuinely help others will go a long way especially if you stats are lacking a little luster. This doesn't mean you've got a good shot with an MCAT of 490 and a GPA of 2.7 but if you're stats are borderline but your resume and personal statement are compelling you at least open the opportunity to interview.

Good luck to you all!

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

II just now as well!!! PUMPED! My family lives in austin/San Antonio area so this would be super ideal.

II few minutes ago! i'm crying.

My anxiety is back. The only interview day they have available is August 18 and I already have another interview scheduled that day :(

My anxiety is back. The only interview day they have available is August 18 and I already have another interview scheduled that day :(
they give two options for interviews, either Friday or Saturday.

My portal only shows saturday available and I'm flying to my other interview on friday anyways. I'm just gonna call them to reschedule

First year here, actual first day is on Tuesday. I want to clear up some applications questions I've seen here.

1- The curriculum is nearly 100% case based. You do your studying using your own materials with recommended reading. They want to know HOW you studied. A glimpse into possibly your maturity, study habits, and dedication to learning. I would encourage you to think in those terms.

2- Religious preference, sexuality, and the like are not things that will be frowned upon. We have students who are from a myriad of religions and sexual preferences. The campus was actually actively involved in celebrating those of the lgbtq community. Do not fear not fitting in here. For the record I'm an atheist, but like the school for the purpose of being tolerant and understanding of differences in spirituality and how it impacts care of patients.

3- There are certainly concerns regarding a new school and we will undoubtly have growing pains for another 2 year's as none of us have completed the program here. That being said, despite having another there medical school in close proximity to us San Antonio is a major city that is still heavily medically underserved meaning that there is plenty of care to go around. Relationships for clinical sites also exist in Laredo, Abilene, and another city I can't remember at the moment. For what it's worth, Texas medical programs tend to prefer people from Texas including residency (this is part perception but there may be people with more hard data). Our Dean as well as other faculty have worked in getting different medical schools accredited including PNWU and RVUCOM and both are reasonably successful. That's not to say they were the only reason but it is a plus.

Personally I think the school will fit well for someone who likes the case based approach and really fits the mission. Being a Catholic school does not require you be Catholic nor are you looked down upon for not being Catholic. I never hid my atheist beliefs. Showing maturity and a willingness to genuinely help others will go a long way especially if you stats are lacking a little luster. This doesn't mean you've got a good shot with an MCAT of 490 and a GPA of 2.7 but if you're stats are borderline but your resume and personal statement are compelling you at least open the opportunity to interview.

Good luck to you all!

can you please elaborate on what exactly entails case study because I have never studied like that before so it would be nice to have familiarity. Also, what do you mean by own materials? Like i would have to find my own resources from google to study?

Last edited:
can you please elaborate on what exactly entails case study because I have never studied like that before so it would be nice to be familiar. Also, what do you mean by own materials? Like i would have to find my own resources from google to study?
Take what I say about the curriculum with a HUGE grain of salt. I haven't even started class yet, BUT case based learning essentially means you'll be given recommended reading and a list of topics to study on your own (professors are available to consult as needed each day) then the following day you will review the material by going through a particular patient case. It's meant to reinforce and introduce practical application of the material you are learning. Your own materials means you can access any books, videos, and so forth that you like. Our library is largely digital but i have yet to find a resource that I couldn't access. The point is you take responsibility for your learning and you do so in whatever manner works best for you. There are no lectures, so no professor pontificating for hours on end regarding his thesis topic and a bunch of strange arguably near useless information. I hope this help clarify my previous post.

Looks like we got an II party going down here! Thanks @It's lupus! for sharing info and your experience at the school. I'm liking the sound of CBL and no mandatory lectures. I'm excited to check out the campus, and maaaybe see my friend who's a student ambassador there.

Looks like we got an II party going down here! Thanks @It's lupus! for sharing info and your experience at the school. I'm liking the sound of CBL and no mandatory lectures. I'm excited to check out the campus, and maaaybe see my friend who's a student ambassador there.
Just to clarify, there aren't lectures BUT there is mandatory class attendance to go through the small and large group case studies.

What do they mean by "session 1 or 2"?

What do they mean by "session 1 or 2"?
There are two interview days. They are done in batches. Once those two sessions are up they review the next set of applications and set up the interview dates with two sessions again.

There are two interview days. They are done in batches. Once those two sessions are up they review the next set of applications and set up the interview dates with two sessions again.

Does it matter which session I pick? What's the difference, if any? The only available day is August 18 on a Saturday.