2018-2019 University of Toledo College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Briefly describe why you wish to attend medical school at The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences. As part of this essay, please discuss, if applicable, any personal connection you may have to The University of Toledo, the UT College of Medicine and Life Sciences/former Medical College of Ohio, the city of Toledo, or the region of Northwest Ohio. 300 words

Discuss any important aspects of your personal background, identity, or educational journey that you feel would give the Admissions Committee greater insight into your medical school application. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation to pursue a career in medicine. Examples might include: challenges you’ve overcome in accessing education; identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity; unique pathways to medical school application via professional employment, military service, family caregiving, and other circumstances. 700 words

One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves cultural competence: "Demonstrates knowledge of socio-cultural factors that affect interactions and behaviors ; shows an appreciation and respect for multiple dimensions of diversity; recognizes and acts on the obligation to inform one's own judgment; engages diverse and competing perspectives as a resource for learning, citizenship, and work; recognizes and appropriately addresses bias in themselves and others; interacts effectively with people from diverse backgrounds." Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your cultural competence. 700 words

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dead thread - any secondaries to speak of?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my primary here. IS and hope they get to to me soon. Last year they sent out secondaries later thank this year.

Just submitted my primary here. IS and hope they get to to me soon. Last year they sent out secondaries later thank this year.
JK got the secondary 5 min after submitting my primary

@Lucca

Briefly describe why you wish to attend medical school at The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences. As part of this essay, please discuss, if applicable, any personal connection you may have to The University of Toledo, the UT College of Medicine and Life Sciences/former Medical College of Ohio, the city of Toledo, or the region of Northwest Ohio. 300 words

Discuss any important aspects of your personal background, identity, or educational journey that you feel would give the Admissions Committee greater insight into your medical school application. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation to pursue a career in medicine. Examples might include: challenges you’ve overcome in accessing education; identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity; unique pathways to medical school application via professional employment, military service, family caregiving, and other circumstances. 700 words

One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves cultural competence: "Demonstrates knowledge of socio-cultural factors that affect interactions and behaviors ; shows an appreciation and respect for multiple dimensions of diversity; recognizes and acts on the obligation to inform one's own judgment; engages diverse and competing perspectives as a resource for learning, citizenship, and work; recognizes and appropriately addresses bias in themselves and others; interacts effectively with people from diverse backgrounds." Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your cultural competence. 700 words

If one of my parents did their residency at Toledo, does that count as a personal connection?

If one of my parents did their residency at Toledo, does that count as a personal connection?

It sure does. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have brainstorming points for possible approaches to Q2 as a non-minority traditional path pre-med student?

How are you guys approaching the cultural competency question?

Anyone have brainstorming points for possible approaches to Q2 as a non-minority traditional path pre-med student?
I'm thinking of just using my diversity essay for this one.

I already filled these out for their med start program that I got an interview invite for but couldn't attend lol. Should I just re-use? They obviously liked my responses previously, and nothing has changed that I would like to add.

Last edited:
Hey just a heads-up, it seems that Q2 (additional insight) is optional. Or at least it does not say required for that particular question when I save my progress, while it does for Q1 and Q3.

Just in case anyone was stressing about an additional 700 word essay!

How are you guys approaching the cultural competency question?
I'm writing about something I had to do that involved many different cultures, ethnicities and races and what I did to display my competency in knowledge all these cultures.

Hey just a heads-up, it seems that Q2 (additional insight) is optional. Or at least it does not say required for that particular question when I save my progress, while it does for Q1 and Q3.

Just in case anyone was stressing about an additional 700 word essay!
This is good to know. Isn't Q2 a diversity question anyway?

Isnt diversity the third question about cultural competency tho and then the second question is about a challenge?
It depends, my diversity essay was not about cultural diversity

What did you guys put for the question that asked "what other recommended coursework have you completed." Did you just list classes - I'm having trouble trying to figure out what classes to list. Do I just do Biology classes? They can see all my classes written on my transcript, so I'm not sure why this question is even being asked.

What did you guys put for the question that asked "what other recommended coursework have you completed." Did you just list classes - I'm having trouble trying to figure out what classes to list. Do I just do Biology classes? They can see all my classes written on my transcript, so I'm not sure why this question is even being asked.
I believe they have additional recommended classes on their website so I listed those and other biology and neuroscience classes I took

Any know what the pre-secondary screen is for OOS?

I'm still little bit confused on the second and third questions. Do you think I can talk about the challenges/ discrimination I faced as a recent immigrant in the US and how these helped me in my medical journey so far (for the second question). And then talk about my diverse background and how it helped me to deal with a situation in the hospital (for the third question).

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Are there any current students on this thread? What is your favorite part of attending this med school? What drew you to their program?

Has anyones letters of recommendation shown up in their secondary portal yet?

Has anyones letters of recommendation shown up in their secondary portal yet?

My LOR's have been in since I received my secondary. When did you assign Toledo letters in AAMC? The adcoms intermittently download letters in bulk, your LORs will probably update in a few days.

My LOR's have been in since I received my secondary. When did you assign Toledo letters in AAMC? The adcoms intermittently download letters in bulk, your LORs will probably update in a few days.

I assigned my letters when I sent in my primary application. So I assumed they'd be there as soon as my secondary came in. Should I just e-mail them and ask in a couple of days?

how close is everyone hitting around the 700 word limit for the challenge and cultural competency questions? I was able to get around 600ish for the challenge one, but seem to be capping off around 500 for the cultural competency one.

how close is everyone hitting around the 700 word limit for the challenge and cultural competency questions? I was able to get around 600ish for the challenge one, but seem to be capping off around 500 for the cultural competency one.
I dont see a challenge essay but I only hit 500 on the diversity and a little more for the competency

gotcha, so you think a little more than 500 should be the minimum for those two essays?
There is no minimum. 700 words is a lot so as long as you are explain your ideas and what you are trying to say it doesn't matter much how many words you have. Obviously dont just use 200 words and dont try to push it to 700 by adding non sense stuff

I submitted 7/24 and 1 day later it says "application under review".

I can't recall if there was a completion status before this one or not. Anyone?

Just got an interview invite, in-state applicant!

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted 7/24 and 1 day later it says "application under review".

I can't recall if there was a completion status before this one or not. Anyone?
That is the completion status, that's what mine says!!

Hey friends with II's, to save yourself some time and to help out those of us who are neurotic (aka everyone), include IS/OOS, completion date, and stats (if you want) in your II post! Thanks and congrats to those who got II's!! :) :)

Reactions: 3 users
First II of the season received today. Submitted secondary and was complete for review on 07/19/18. IS applicant. Dates available were 08/24 and 08/25.

Reactions: 1 users