2018-2019 University of Toledo College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you have a relatively strong app? I thought my MMIs were alright but not horrible and thought that would make me catch the WL (we will see in a couple of weeks)

IS, average stats compared to last year's matriculating class for Toledo, but strong community service and clinical experience. Good luck, hope you get in!

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrew my II, good luck fam!

Last edited:
Everyone else seemed to enjoy the interview day, so maybe I had a singularly bad experience. I argued with my second interviewer, which really threw off my focus and motivation for the rest of the MMIs (I thought at least 5 were bad), in addition to coloring the rest of the day negatively. I was shocked when I got the acceptance email. So yeah I realize I do have some advice - if you think one of your MMIs went horribly, don't worry too much - just brush it off and start each one fresh.

Huh. I’ve heard that some interviewers are instructed to be more aggressive, not sure if that’s true. FWIW I like the random MMI questions. It’s a chance to show professionalism, intelligence and collectedness in an unexpected or potentially hostile situation. Plus you don’t have to regurgitate your app or give the same rehearsed answers to “why medicine?” and “what are your strengths and weaknesses?”

Anyways congrats on the A!

Members don't see this ad :)
At other schools, I feel like the MMI questions were more personal and you could prepare just like for a traditional interview, but at Toledo the questions were way random and I don't think there is any real way to prepare. I honestly didn't like it because the MMI scenarios were so random that I felt like they don't really get to know you - they just get to see your critical thinking (read, BSing) skills.
Interesting, well I will see how everything goes this Friday! Thanks for sharing!

Be yourself! On the other hand, my experience was slightly different than my friend above me ^^ I actually thought the interviewers got to know me quite a bit, as I related almost every single question to my own experiences. Interview day was super low stress, and the tour was absolutely mind blowing (the sim center is out of this world). Try not to stress out about the day, and I'm sure you'll impress them. The interviewers were very nice people, and it seemed like they wanted all the applicants to succeed. I could have totally messed this up though haha I haven't heard back so who knows.
I'm glad your interview day went well! I hope you get that A! Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
I've got my interview coming up on February 22nd! Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 users
Huh. I’ve heard that some interviewers are instructed to be more aggressive, not sure if that’s true. FWIW I like the random MMI questions. It’s a chance to show professionalism, intelligence and collectedness in an unexpected or potentially hostile situation. Plus you don’t have to regurgitate your app or give the same rehearsed answers to “why medicine?” and “what are your strengths and weaknesses?”

Anyways congrats on the A!

Thanks! Yeah later I heard that making me feel uncomfortable was maybe on purpose. I tried to not let my discomfort show during the interview (I’m assuming it worked) but inside I was turned off by the whole experience. I feel like the interview is your chance to show humanism and that you’re not a robot, but with the random scenarios I thought it would be too easy to BS if you were a psychopath lol. I don’t mind the more traditional interview questions and the chance to explain my app in person. The interview is also the chance for you to assess if the school is a good fit for you as well, so even if the school is trying to assess your ability to adapt and respond appropriately in an uncomfortable situation, their strategy may be pushing away strong candidates that they didn’t make feel at home during the interview. Then again, it seems like most people had a positive experience here, so perhaps I was just a sensitive snowflake that day :)

Good luck to everyone interviewing here!

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody know how the promedica merge is going to effect research opportunities/$$? Or is it just a clinical extension?

Edited: found this on their site

"The investment of $250 million in capital to College of Medicine facilities will transform UT’s education and research efforts and the annual $50 million payments to the college will help propel the affiliation to a new tier on the national level."

Also will this effect scholarships? (lol idk why I care if I havent even heard back post II)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Accepted oh my god this is so surreal! SO incredibly thankful for this community!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted here today in an email! Cheers to lurking on SDN sometimes! And here I thought I didn't do so well on the MMI...

Reactions: 3 users
Of course! Let us know how it goes. Congrats on the interview: you got this!!
I think the interview went really well! I actually enjoyed the MMI’s a lot more than I expected. Very similar to you I thought they were able to see who I was better than just what’s on paper. I really like the school as well. Hoping for the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any tips on how to prepare for the interview from you guys that did? Examples of questions they gave, websites that would help prepare, youtube videos? Also, was the interview closed file? How many scenarios were there?

Any Jan 11th interviewees waiting to hear back still? Are we going to have to wait another 2 weeks?

Tbh I’m not sure what the “+1”, “+2”, and “+3” mean lol

Does anyone know what UToledo's rank is as a med school? They show up as RNP on U.S. News and World Report (not that that's the only measure to go by)

I would use residency director ratings.

just got accepted this morning! interviewed 01/11. OOS, 509, 3.9
super excited-- go rockets!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just got accepted; Interviewed 1/25! I promised myself that if I got accepted I would try and give back to this amazing, supportive community. First, if you're reading this (whether it be a year from now and you're an applicant analyzing trends; whether you're in the current cycle looking for answers; or even if you're looking at this as an undergrad) stay off of SDN and Reddit. Seriously, it doesn't help, and it makes you more stressed out. I looked at SO many sdn threads to analyze the trends of what they're looking for from previous years. In fact, there were so many people with the same LM score as me, and it turned out that some of them got accepted and some got rejected. It was not a reliable predictor of when I would hear back from the school, or whether or not I'd be interviewed/accepted. It's the luck of the draw, and as redundant as this may sound: they look at more than just your GPA and MCAT: traits that people are hesitant to share on SDN for anonymity purposes. Think of it like this, why else would they interview you if they had all the numbers in front of them to make a decision? Not only would I recommend that you stay away from SDN, I'd suggest you stay positive. I spent so much time down in the dumps because I didn't have an acceptance; I wish I could get that time back so I could have enjoyed my last semester of college. I'll never get that time back, and that worrying didn't do me any good. I know it's easier said than done, and it may be hard to fully be receptive to my words given I don't know each of you individually, but spread positive vibes out there; it's all you can do when these decisions are out of your hands. Stay positive when it may seem hard, stay off of reddit/sdn even when it may seem like it holds all the answers, and most importantly never forget that you are not defined my a single admissions decision.

Reactions: 9 users
accepting the offer holds our seat but doesn't mean we are committing to UTCOM and withdrawing all other apps correct?

Just got accepted; Interviewed 1/25! I promised myself that if I got accepted I would try and give back to this amazing, supportive community. First, if you're reading this (whether it be a year from now and you're an applicant analyzing trends; whether you're in the current cycle looking for answers; or even if you're looking at this as an undergrad) stay off of SDN and Reddit. Seriously, it doesn't help, and it makes you more stressed out. I looked at SO many sdn threads to analyze the trends of what they're looking for from previous years. In fact, there were so many people with the same LM score as me, and it turned out that some of them got accepted and some got rejected. It was not a reliable predictor of when I would hear back from the school, or whether or not I'd be interviewed/accepted. It's the luck of the draw, and as redundant as this may sound: they look at more than just your GPA and MCAT: traits that people are hesitant to share on SDN for anonymity purposes. Think of it like this, why else would they interview you if they had all the numbers in front of them to make a decision? Not only would I recommend that you stay away from SDN, I'd suggest you stay positive. I spent so much time down in the dumps because I didn't have an acceptance; I wish I could get that time back so I could have enjoyed my last semester of college. I'll never get that time back, and that worrying didn't do me any good. I know it's easier said than done, and it may be hard to fully be receptive to my words given I don't know each of you individually, but spread positive vibes out there; it's all you can do when these decisions are out of your hands. Stay positive when it may seem hard, stay off of reddit/sdn even when it may seem like it holds all the answers, and most importantly never forget that you are not defined my a single admissions decision.
I thought they said we would hear back later :wow: waiting for this R to roll in any second now. Congrats!

Hey guys, anyone knowledgable know how long Toledo will continue to extend interview invites? Visited and loved this school. I'm IS and have a strong application, have experienced silence since August.

Hey guys, anyone knowledgable know how long Toledo will continue to extend interview invites? Visited and loved this school. I'm IS and have a strong application, have experienced silence since August.

Last year they interviewed all the way until march. I'd assume it's the same this year.

starting to think you must need serious toledo connections to get an II here, i'm IS and have received no love, but i have received IIs from other Ohio schools

starting to think you must need serious toledo connections to get an II here, i'm IS and have received no love, but i have received IIs from other Ohio schools
I'm IS but with zero connections to Toledo or NW Ohio.

Has anyone received an invitation to second look day? Noticed on their site that it's by invitation only.