2018-2019 University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Utah School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know when Utah usually sends out their secondaries? I know they usually take a bit longer because they pre-screen.

I received my secondary last year on July 26th and I applied June 1st!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No prompt! Just another activities description. How much needs to be changed from the primary activities description? Also, is anyone else able to enter more than than limited number of 300 characters?

No prompt! Just another activities description. How much needs to be changed from the primary activities description? Also, is anyone else able to enter more than than limited number of 300 characters?
Did you receive the secondary?

Just got the secondary! There isn't an essay. Does anyone know if the 300 character limit for descriptions includes spaces?

For those who got the secondary, do you mind sharing stats or IS/OOS? Or ED?

Just got the secondary! There isn't an essay. Does anyone know if the 300 character limit for descriptions includes spaces?

I'm wondering this, too. The box doesn't actually limit you to just 300 characters. I typed mine in Word first (counting spaces as well) just to be safe.

Got the secondary today. Primary sent June 14th, IS and ED.

What do you mean there's no prompt? How is this any different from the primary app activities section?

For those of us who are new to sdn, what does ED mean?
ED = Early Decision program.

What do you mean there's no prompt? How is this any different from the primary app activities section?
Although it may seem redundant, the U's secondary gives you an opportunity to talk about ALL your activities (volunteering, research, etc.) beyond the limit of the 15 activities of AMCAS. For example, I had about 22 activities that I could have included on AMCAS but had to narrow it down to the 15. It gives them a timeline of how you spent your time over the last four years and allows you to add specifics, if desired. Knowing that the committee viewing your application has access to both your primary and secondary, I would use the 300 characters to ADD to the existing activities, rather than re-state them.

Members don't see this ad :)

Many schools have a secondary essay which requires you to write about a specific topic, from something like "tell us why you want to go to this school" or they'll give you a scenario and ask you to write about how you'd handle it. There are no additional essay prompts outside of the brief summaries similar to what you put on your primary (although the U says 300 characters per activity in their secondary).

Reactions: 1 user
Just received secondary (international, LizzyM 77)

No essay qs, just fill-outs for things like current activities, reapp, etc. They also want you to put in all your community service experiences (fkn hell)

Last edited:
Oh utah....making us write all our activities again

Secondary portal just crashed on me and now I can't get back in. Anyone else?

Secondary portal just crashed on me and now I can't get back in. Anyone else?
+1 (google chrome's warning me about a privacy error and not letting me continue)

+1 (google chrome's warning me about a privacy error and not letting me continue)
Same. Could this be an actual threat or did their site just crash?

Secondary received! The site is crashed right now but it was fine when I got it. No essays, but you need to re-write the entire activity section in 300 characters for each one.

I'm unable to scroll down on the sidebar to get to "premedical courses" past physics to enter mine in, anyone else having this problem? I've tried chrome and firefox

I'm unable to scroll down on the sidebar to get to "premedical courses" past physics to enter mine in, anyone else having this problem? I've tried chrome and firefox
jk, if I change the zoom scale to 60% I can see everything haha

For activity descriptions, do you guys plan on somewhat repeating your AMCAS? 300 characters isn't much.

For activity descriptions, do you guys plan on somewhat repeating your AMCAS? 300 characters isn't much.
300 characters is like 2 sentences, I'm probably going to write an extremely brief and general description of the activity and state my role.

Also, do you guys figure we need 2 semesters of organic lab? Would a writing heavy humanities course qualify for a second semester of writing?

Is anybody having trouble finding the "Submit Secondary Forms" button? I have completed all the sections of the supplement (payment, LOR, activities, premed courses) but my secondary status is still showing incomplete....

Thanks for your help in advance!

Is anybody having trouble finding the "Submit Secondary Forms" button? I have completed all the sections of the supplement (payment, LOR, activities, premed courses) but my secondary status is still showing incomplete....

Thanks for your help in advance!
Hey there, someone earlier mentioned you should zoom out in your browser (like to 60%) and then the submit button appears. That worked for me.

For those who got the secondary, do you mind sharing stats or IS/OOS? Or ED?
Received the secondary on Tuesday as well and submitted my AMCAS on July 8th. Also IS and ED applicant.

For those looking to do a detailed pre-write, below are the exact activity questions as they appear in the secondary.

--------------------------------------

Community/Volunteer Service

Community/Volunteer service is defined as involvement in a service activity without constraint or guarantee of reward or compensation. Work performed in service learning courses and community service performed as part of employment will not be considered.

Instructions: Enter your community/volunteer service for the past 4 years. List each of your services separately and include only the hours you have completed at the time you submit your secondary forms.

We recommend that you complete at least 36 total hours within the last 4 years. To be a competitive applicant, we recommend that you endeavor to complete at least 100 hours within last 4 years.

One year is based on a calendar year that begins in January and ends in December. Only list activities completed between 2015 and 2018.

Service Activity:
Description (300 characters):
Start Year (2015-18):
End Year (2015-18):
Hours:

Leadership
Leadership is defined as a position of responsibility with a purpose to guide or direct others. Leadership capacity can be demonstrated in a variety of ways. Positions in employment, church, community and school organizations including coaching, tutoring and mentoring will satisfy this requirement.

If one activity applies to multiple years, only list the experience once. For example: if you were a teaching assistant from January, 2015 through May, 2018 you would select 2015 as the year and then enter the length of time as 29 months. If you began your experience prior to 2015, select 2015 as the year and only list the length of time completed between 2015 and 2018. Do not include time completed prior to 2015.

List only the length of time you have completed at the time you submit your secondary forms.

We recommend that you have at least 1 leadership experience lasting 3 months within the last 4 years. Competitive applicants will have 3 different leadership experiences each lasting 3 months within the last 4 years.

One year is based on a calendar year that begins in January and ends in December. Only list activities completed between 2015 and 2018.

Year:
Duration (Number):
Duration Type (Days, Weeks, Months, Years):

Research
Research is defined as involvement in a scholarly or scientific hypothesis investigation that is supervised by an individual with verifiable research credentials. Research may be in any discipline and performed at any site. However, it must involve the testing of a hypothesis.

We recommend that you participate in hypothesis-based research. This may be part of a class where you answered or tested a hypothesis and received a grade. Examples: A writing project, laboratory work, etc.

Applicants with a stronger research experience will have completed hypothesis-based research outside of the classroom that is supervised by an individual with verifiable research credentials. May include independent research or senior thesis. Clearly state the hypothesis of the research and your role in testing it.

Clearly state the hypothesis of the research and your role in testing it.

Course Based? (Yes/No):
Course Title (or N/A):
Hypothesis (300 characters):
Hours:
Role:
Published? (Yes/No/Poster/Journal)

Physician Shadowing (Observing)
Physician shadowing is defined as the observation of a physician as they care for and treat patients while handling the other responsibilities of a medical practice.

Physician shadowing must be completed with an allopathic (M.D.) or osteopathic (D.O.) physician in the United States. Time spent shadowing medical students, interns, residents, fellows, physician assistants, podiatrists, veterinarians, nurses, EMT's, Ph.D's etc., will not be considered.

It is our recommendation that applicants shadow several physicians who work in various specialties including primary care. Shadowing family members who are physicians is discouraged.

List only the hours you have completed at the time you submit your secondary forms.

We recommend that you shadow a physician for at least 8 hours. Competitive applicants will have shadowed a variety of physicians for at least 24 hours.

Physician Name:
Title:
Specialty:
Hours:

Patient Exposure (Experience)
Patient exposure is defined as direct interaction with patients and hands-on involvement in the care of conscious people in a health care related environment, attending to their health maintenance, progression or end of life needs. It is important that the applicant be comfortable working with and around people who are ill, sick, injured or diseased.

Direct patient exposure can be gained in a variety of ways. e.g. volunteering or working in hospitals, emergency rooms, clinics or nursing care facilities, hospice or physical rehabilitation centers. Patient contact does not include indirect patient care such as housekeeping (cleaning operating or patient rooms), staffing the hospital information desk or working in a pharmacy.

List only the hours you have completed at the time you submit your secondary forms.

We recommend that you complete at least 32 hours of direct patient care. Competitive applicants will have completed at least 48 hours.

Hours:

How long should the activity description be? Even though the limit is 300 character, do they expect a bullet-point style description or a traditional narrative? For things like being a piano tutor, I could only give a one-liner. :(

If I have an activity that I believe falls into community service and leadership should I enter into both or one or the other? for example if I was the vice-president of a community service organization (but I also participated in the community service)

If I have an activity that I believe falls into community service and leadership should I enter into both or one or the other? for example if I was the vice-president of a community service organization (but I also participated in the community service)
I would just enter it into one -- whichever you have less experience with

If that's the only one you're "double-dipping" enter it into both, it says on the app you can do that especially to make sure you aren't lacking in any areas, just make sure you don't do it a lot.

Has anyone's letters been marked as received? It's weird how they make us input the author names. I never thought I would miss the AMP secondaries...

Has anyone's letters been marked as received? It's weird how they make us input the author names. I never thought I would miss the AMP secondaries...
Mine haven't been marked as received even though I submitted payment on Friday, should I call? or give it a few more days, not worried yet but top choice school so a little anxious!

I have three volunteer activities for a total of about 150 hours, but two of those are clinical volunteering which comprise my patient exposure. Should I just repeat these two activities in the "patient exposure" section. I know this is double-dipping, but it is the only place where I have double-dipped

I have three volunteer activities for a total of about 150 hours, but two of those are clinical volunteering which comprise my patient exposure. Should I just repeat these two activities in the "patient exposure" section. I know this is double-dipping, but it is the only place where I have double-dipped
I would do it if it is the only place and those are your only three activities for both sections

Does U of U do rolling admissions? Could I wait a few days to apply until my I get an hour count from my volunteer coordinator?

Does U of U do rolling admissions? Could I wait a few days to apply until my I get an hour count from my volunteer coordinator?
This is what their website says:
Does your school have rolling admissions?

We accept students throughout the application cycle. Final acceptances are sent out by March 15th.

Slightly unclear...sounds like a yes?

From what I've heard from U of U pre-med friends, the U of U is one of those schools where you'd still have a good shot applying late, because they apparently don't send out too many decisions (save for the ED folks) until later in the cycle. This is all hearsay though, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. That said, I don't think waiting a few days to get an accurate volunteer count would make a huge difference in the long run; a month would be a different story.