2018-2019 University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Vermont College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey team, I'm a UVM student and I'm happy to chime in from time to time and answer questions. I don't really respond to DMs that well, but I check in from time to time.

re: the secondary: don't overthink it, especially the question about speeding tickets. I had one or two on my record and I still managed to get in!

Hey team, I'm a UVM student and I'm happy to chime in from time to time and answer questions. I don't really respond to DMs that well, but I check in from time to time.

re: the secondary: don't overthink it, especially the question about speeding tickets. I had one or two on my record and I still managed to get in!
What do you think the schools looking for? What are they big on- community service, clinical experience, non trads etc?

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received (but can’t post prompts because currently at work). Hopefully they didn’t change

Secondaries received as of this morning!

Prompts below:
1. Please reflect on a difficult and challenging non-academic experience you have faced. Include a description of the stressful event, how you dealt with it and what you have learned about others and yourself through this process. (500 words max)

2. The Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont strongly values diversity. Larner COM recognizes that diversity extends beyond chosen and unchosen identities, and encompasses the entirety of an individual’s experiences. These experiences embody many dimensions that include (but are not limited to) the personal, familial, geographic, intellectual, economic, professional, linguistic, and societal domains. Thus, each and every member of the Larner COM community brings a unique perspective to a shared goal of training compassionate and competent physicians.

With this in mind, please reflect on your own diverse experiences and how those will allow you to successfully participate in teams and engage in active learning with your peers at the Larner COM. When composing your response please consider how these experiences impacted your understanding of others and yourself as well as any new insights gained. (500 words max).

3. Additional Comments (optional): (500 words max)

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks for your willingness to answer questions. I've got a few when you get a chance:
Why did you pick UVM?
Do you feel there is a sense of collaboration between students at UVM?

Cool!! Their website says that secondary invites weren't going out until the 17th- looks like they're starting early :)
I guess so! I'm just so relieved their prompts didn't change because these essays took a while for me to write

Members don't see this ad :)
For the required courses section, are you supposed to write the name of the course you took or the course number from your transcript?

For those of you that have received secondaries, have you already taken CASPer?

According to MSAR, the 2° is only sent to screened applicants. I am not aware of the screening process.
From the Larner website " we send out an initial contact email with all the information necessary to complete the Secondary Application. We do not pre-screen information from AMCAS." :confused: so not sure..?

Anyone else not have their Letters checked off under status?

For those who have taken CASPer, did you prep? Did you feel that it helped your performance? I'm considering enrolling in the BeMo video prep course but I'm not sure if it or any prep material will be useful.

For those who have taken CASPer, did you prep? Did you feel that it helped your performance? I'm considering enrolling in the BeMo video prep course but I'm not sure if it or any prep material will be useful.

I wouldn’t take a prep course. It's more intuitive and they’re not even using the results much yet. They’re just studying correlations right now or using it to help people with low stats

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn’t take a prep course. It wasn’t that hard and they’re not even using the results much yet. They’re just studying correlations right now or using it to help people with low stats

Okay, thank you! I know my answers won't be raising any red flags, but I would ideally like my CASPer score to help rather than hinder me since my stats are less than ideal (3.7 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 515 MCAT).

Secondary Received!

For Additional Info, would it be weird if I talked about how much I love UVM? I've loved it since my college tour and it was one of only two colleges that I applied to back in high school. I got in but chose the school that was closer to my family. My interest is genuine and I think I can swing it to not sound too aggressive but I'm wondering if that should be saved for a letter of intent or something

Secondary just now. I added this school today so Im guessing they dont screen (for those wondering if they do)

Secondary Received!

For Additional Info, would it be weird if I talked about how much I love UVM? I've loved it since my college tour and it was one of only two colleges that I applied to back in high school. I got in but chose the school that was closer to my family. My interest is genuine and I think I can swing it to not sound too aggressive but I'm wondering if that should be saved for a letter of intent or something

My school's pre-med committee advises us to include a compelling case of why you want to attend a particular school and why they should accept you if possible in the secondaries. They'll look at you more favorably for interviews, whereas my understanding is that letters of intent are more useful if you've been waitlisted.

That speeding ticket thing is ridiculous. I've only gotten one, two years ago, but still.

Secondary received!

What did you guys put for the first 500 word limit box? Is that just to explain your residency status? Should we talk about fit/location if we haven't been to Vermont before?

Secondary received!

What did you guys put for the first 500 word limit box? Is that just to explain your residency status? Should we talk about fit/location if we haven't been to Vermont before?

Under FAQs they have an example; apparently they just wanted age when you lived there, city and state, and population (unsure why the last demographic but that's what I did).

Does anyone know if a minor traffic violation (turned right at a red light without stopping at 9 mph) have to be reported? Its not strictly a speeding ticket so...?

Does anyone know if a minor traffic violation (turned right at a red light without stopping at 9 mph) have to be reported? Its not strictly a speeding ticket so...?
No, don't need to report.

I really need to explain a speeding ticket :yeahright:. What are they, my mom?

Can you explain your logic here? Is it only misdemeanors/felonies?
I mean they are only asking if you had a speeding ticket and nothing else, so I would stick with only speeding tickets. :)

Here is the question again if you need to reference it:
upload_2018-7-9_20-2-2.png

For "Residency History" (which is the 500 word limit box underneath the speeding ticket question), are we just supposed to put a sentence regarding where we have lived throughout our life? Not sure why the word limit is 500 words and want to make sure I'm not missing anything :whistle:

For "Residency History" (which is the 500 word limit box underneath the speeding ticket question), are we just supposed to put a sentence regarding where we have lived throughout our life? Not sure why the word limit is 500 words and want to make sure I'm not missing anything :whistle:

I'm just doing it as follows:
City, State (year - year)
City, State (year - year)
(continue)

For the speeding ticket question, approximately how much information do they want from the explanation? I don't know if they want basic information about where/when it was, or if they want to know like why you were speeding/how fast you were going/stuff like that.

Secondary submitted this morning! Bummed I got that speeding ticket last year! Oh well... Good luck everyone!

Anybody have a check mark next to CASPer? My CASPer results say delivered on their website, but I don’t have the green check mark on the secondary.

Yes I took the CASPER this past sunday and I have a green check

What if you received one but you did traffic school so it doesnt show on your record? am i still required to report this?